Hard night...

I'm sorry to hear about that, CBE. I think it's a matter of time of getting used to it. My dad hates CC but he always puts them on for me whenever I come over. And believe me, my dad is no saint. If I suddenly went deaf (while I was still living with him), he'd probably act like your dad. After all, when the doctor diagnosed me deaf at 18 months old, he tried to hide my deafness from his family because he was so embarrassed. Over time, he accepted my deafness, and tries his best to accommodate.

Although we do have an agreement, no CC during golf since it covers up where the ball goes! Plus sports announcers have nothing useful to say anyway...... :)

What is CC? :shrug:

Jamie

CC is closed caption. It's geared for the deaf/HoH. Similar to subtitles, but also accounts for sound and music effects. Your TV most likely has it. All TVs sold in the US that are 13 inches or greater must have CC decoders in it (starting 1993). Not sure about TVs sold in Europe or France...? I do remember going to Paris when I was 15 (in 1997) and checking if my hotel room TV had some form of CC/subtitles. NADA!!!!

Thanks to the three of you!

How would I know if my TV has CC? (Just for future reference)... We will be buying a flat screen soon (around Easter) so I could look out for it and tell you if it is standard in France or not... no clue.

Do I have to plug something in in order to get CC?

Jamie

How would I know if my TV has CC? (Just for future reference)... We will be buying a flat screen soon (around Easter) so I could look out for it and tell you if it is standard in France or not... no clue.

Jamie

Nope, just scroll thru the menu or setup, where you adjust your picture's brightness or want to change it to mono/stereo and somewhere in there, look for CC or subtitles. I'm not sure how it would be in French? It might also say in the manual?

Plus sports announcers have nothing useful to say anyway...... :)
I rarely use CC for sports for this very reason. Most of what they say is repetitious and trivial. Only when someone has been injured do I turn CC on, in order to know what the outcome of the testing and x-rays might be. That is part of my fantasy sports mentality. Is my guy done for the year, or just the first half?

I grew up dealing with this kind of thing from hearing people either in general or from family and it can make one become angry and bitter towards them for not willing to understand nor meet our deaf needs. If your family doesnt start understanding nor making some changes, then you probably will find yourself not wanting to see them anymore due to the bitterness or anger. Why not turn the volume off and ask them how they feel about it? If they say that they dont like it then tell them that's how you feel...sometimes, a straightforward approach works.

I am sorry that u are dealing with that and whenever I read stories like that from my deaf friends, it makes me want to go over and shake them into reality!

:hug:

(This is a new thread! Oopps, I'm a "newbie" here....rockin'robin.....
I grew up dealing with this kind of thing from hearing people either in general or from family and it can make one become angry and bitter towards them for not willing to understand nor meet our deaf needs. If your family doesnt start understanding nor making some changes, then you probably will find yourself not wanting to see them anymore due to the bitterness or anger. Why not turn the volume off and ask them how they feel about it? If they say that they dont like it then tell them that's how you feel...sometimes, a straightforward approach works.

I am sorry that u are dealing with that and whenever I read stories like that from my deaf friends, it makes me want to go over and shake them into reality!

:hug:
I encountered the same situation(s) when I lost my hearing! Getting "hollared" at...and in some cases, screamed at! And I came to the conclusion that I had to remove myself from all of it! I don't visit my family often, but when I do, they put CC on the TV!...The reason is: I stood up and made myself "be counted"! Sure, they're still somewhat "embarrassed to use the alphabet (signs), but I require it when I don't understand! They all are hearing! And I've repeated over and over, "I'm deaf, remember"??

Now, to "rub some salt" into the old wounds....I was the only one out of 6 who finished school and went to community college. And had an excellent job!...

I've actually "embarrassed" them! And I know it! And it isn't my deafness! It's my ability to "stand up"!.....I seriously believe, CAndy, that ur parents have problems that are really "not related" to ur hearing loss! And I would not "ask" to put the CC on the tv.....I would put it own personally! Hope this doesn't sound too harsh!

Wishing ya good luck and peace of mind!

Sorry that you had to go through that.

Some people just don't understand the hardships that others go through.

That's the most common excuse that people use... "The captioning just gets in the way!" :roll:

Have you tried talking to your parents about it?

May I join you Shel 'cause I feel about the same way! Some times I really don't get people; especially when it comes to family members!!!! I'm sad :mad2: <- yes I know, looks like Jiro's twin but that's how I feel when reading such posts!

Jamie

Jamie

:ty: for get my attention to here.

No, we (Europeans) don't use "Closed caption" but "subtitles"... Both are same...

Videotext system in TV are common in all Europe countries.

Before you want to buy flat screen TV, make sure that "VIDEOTEXT" must be including. You can ask the assistant at shop about videotext and how number then you can get subtitles... You can press "videotext" on TV remote control button and set the number then it come to subtitles itself... (I don't know what number they French use for subtitles)... and you can look at TV magazine or ask videotext for when to get subtitles. Here in Germany - 150, 777 and 149 for subtitles in different TV programmes. One of 3 US programmes "MTV" come to German subtitles automatic. (Original subtitles).

Perhaps you can ask French websites for the deaf about subtitles...

I hope that my description explains better...

today, my area had gone digital. so no more analouge TV and 888 (subtitles) just scroll down on menus for subititles.

I feel so terrible sometimes, not because I have troubles hearing things but how the people that are supposed to help me, and understand that this is very hard for me.

Tonight I was watching TV at my parents house. They won't put the CC on the tv for me because they hate when I have the TV up loud. I can't even watch TV with my family because they just dont care. I turned it up and my dad who was in their bedroom SLAMMED his door shut. The whole time my mom was watching with me and she was telling me to turn it down, so I turn it down a little and I ask her can I please put the CC on and she seriously had to ask me "Why?" and then says "I dont like it on there, it gets in the way"

I finally just turned it down and left. And now I am sitting here crying because I can tell them over and over again how I feel and then they wonder why I never want to spend time there with them. Making me feel bad because I cannot hear when they do nothing to help me, something as simple as CC? My dad got so mad he had to slam the bedroom door??

:cry:

I can understand where your dad is coming from, but on the other hand your mother should be able to allow you to watch TV with closed caption. Closed captioning is known as a way for deaf people to watch television, how can you be able to understand what they're saying on TV if you can't use the closed caption. Your mother needs to think about your needs too not just her own. :roll: I feel for you.

I feel so terrible sometimes, not because I have troubles hearing things but how the people that are supposed to help me, and understand that this is very hard for me.

Tonight I was watching TV at my parents house. They won't put the CC on the tv for me because they hate when I have the TV up loud. I can't even watch TV with my family because they just dont care. I turned it up and my dad who was in their bedroom SLAMMED his door shut. The whole time my mom was watching with me and she was telling me to turn it down, so I turn it down a little and I ask her can I please put the CC on and she seriously had to ask me "Why?" and then says "I dont like it on there, it gets in the way"

I finally just turned it down and left. And now I am sitting here crying because I can tell them over and over again how I feel and then they wonder why I never want to spend time there with them. Making me feel bad because I cannot hear when they do nothing to help me, something as simple as CC? My dad got so mad he had to slam the bedroom door??

:cry:

Aw, sweetheart -- after I read your version above... is there a chance that you could have your own TV for yourself, if they don't like the noise from the volume or that they don't like C.C. just because, of its gettin' in the way ?

If, I were in your shoes, I would get my own TV for myself to watch instead. Hang in there, girl! :hug:

Thank you all... I have since talked this over with my mom. After getting my new hearing aids I told her how I was feeling and why CC is necessary. You will all be happy to know the movie we watched that night had the captions on and she put them on there. I think she is going to be more understanding now. thank you all =)

Being the mom of a HOH/Deaf child... it breaks my heart to read these types of posts... how some families are... it bewilders me.

Granted sometimes I wish Adam had a volume button so when we're out and he gets loud (not bad, just loud) I could turn him down a bit, but not for my sake-- for those around us... I know why he's loud but others don't... especially if we run out w/out his HA's on...

I'm glad it seems at least your mom is starting to understand more and she's starting to compromise~~ (the CC) that's so important. in any relationship...
:hug: :hug: Hopefully in time your dad will deal better with it too... :hug:

Oh Candy, I am so pleased that you mom had started to accomodate you... I bet that lifted your shoulders up.

((((hugs))))

Back