Grandview district fighting ruling that it failed boy with severe hearing problem

DD- I couldn't quote you because I'm on my phone. There is nothing to gang up on me about. I said, "shame on the district" because ultimately it was the districts responsibility to educate this child.

I don't disagree that mainstream isn't always ideal. Finding a continuum of placement options isn't easy. Often it's either the school for the deaf (if eligible) or mainstream. Yes, it is easy to burn out fighting for appropriate accomodations, but you fight then recharge your batteries.

There is nothing to gang up on me about. I said, "shame on the district" because ultimately it was the districts responsibility to educate this child.

I don't disagree that mainstream isn't always ideal. Finding a continuum of placement options isn't easy. Often it's either the school for the deaf (if eligible) or mainstream. Yes, it is easy to burn out fighting for appropriate accomodations, but you fight then recharge your batteries.
CSign, glad you don't feel like we were ganging up on you. I do think you're pretty well equipted and informed. Also isn't your son a graduate of an early childhood dhh program?...Plus it's still early. The early grades are the easy ones....I really really hope you can create a dhh program or that the local Deaf School becomes Hoh friendly, when/if things get tough.
The sad thing is that this situion is far far far too common. I mean a lot of parents aren't even aware that there's such a thing as a Deaf School ,or even dhh programs. It does seem like schools or early intervention nudges parents towards general early intervention, and then pushes the myth that dhh programs are just for voice off deafies etc.....and I have a feeling this will happen even more....sigh....

CSign, glad you don't feel like we were ganging up on you. I do think you're pretty well equipted and informed. Also isn't your son a graduate of an early childhood dhh program?...Plus it's still early. The early grades are the easy ones....I really really hope you can create a dhh program or that the local Deaf School becomes Hoh friendly, when/if things get tough.
The sad thing is that this situion is far far far too common. I mean a lot of parents aren't even aware that there's such a thing as a Deaf School ,or even dhh programs. It does seem like schools or early intervention nudges parents towards general early intervention, and then pushes the myth that dhh programs are just for voice off deafies etc.....and I have a feeling this will happen even more....sigh....

I know you don't have any negative intentions. With that said, my son worked hard to be where he is at, and he will continue to work hard. I don't think it does any one any good to say that "he is still young" or that the early grades are "easy ones." Some things were easy for him, some were not.

It's good for parents to be aware that it becomes more challenging as the students get older. However, it seems like everywhere I turn people are almost sometimes threatening parents with, "oh your child is doing well? You just wait." I've seen it all over the forum, and the comments aren't always directed at me.

I guess my point is that most of us parents who take the time to come onto this forum are knowledgeable, and aware of their Childs needs. I think most of us would speak up for additional help if our children start to have a difficult time with things.

"However, it seems like everywhere I turn people are almost sometimes threatening parents with, "oh your child is doing well? You just wait." I've seen it all over the forum, and the comments aren't always directed at me. "

That's really unfortunate that you consider our attempts to give you insight (based on our own experiences) as "almost threatening". Instead, you could have viewed it as giving you a heads up as to what your child will face in mainstream schools so you would be better prepared and not get derailed every time a new problem comes up.

Based on my own observations of hearing parents posting here - i get the impression they are not really asking for our opinions but confirmation that they're doing the right thing. And when we don't give it freely, they're not very happy and become very self-defensive.

In the future, don't ask for our opinions and advice if you don't want to hear it.

DeafCaroline- my point was not that we don't need or want others opinions who've been there before. I think most parents who are here do want the thoughts of others who've experienced what we are dealing with, or what our children are dealing with. That's why we participate on this forum.

I was also not referencing only threads I've started or participated in. I've seen it all over. I think there are better ways of bringing up the challenges deaf students face rather than, "oh you just wait."

Like I said, it is important and crucial that parents keep facts like that at the forefront of their mind. However, sometimes it detracts from the students success and puts fear in the mind of parents. All I'm saying is that it would be beneficial for all parties involved to consider their words and the way they phrase them before hitting the post button.

I appreciate the insight I've gotten from members of AD. I'm just trying to raise awareness of the fact
that threats (which often they are) are not beneficial or productive for the parent or the child.

There is a difference between threats, and tactfully raising awareness.

Last edited:
There are people that don't get it and are told to wait -- just because it's energy consuming to educate these specific people.

Hasn't anyone had their parent tell them "Wait till you're a parent, then you will understand."?

Is that threatening?

Also, is that something that anyone else OTHER than your parents should tell you?

Deborah is the mother's name. She never mentioned her daughter's name. I remember her because her posts was really long.

:ty: I stand corrected on that. And yes, her posts were very long!

Hasn't anyone had their parent tell them "Wait till you're a parent, then you will understand."?

Is that threatening?

Also, is that something that anyone else OTHER than your parents should tell you?

No it is not threatening. It is a realistic statement. Some are never able to understand a difference in perspective without the real life experience to go along with it.

I don't see why not, if it is applicable. Sometimes it is just necessary to accept the fultility of further explanation and put it in a nutshell.

"However, it seems like everywhere I turn people are almost sometimes threatening parents with, "oh your child is doing well? You just wait." I've seen it all over the forum, and the comments aren't always directed at me. "

That's really unfortunate that you consider our attempts to give you insight (based on our own experiences) as "almost threatening". Instead, you could have viewed it as giving you a heads up as to what your child will face in mainstream schools so you would be better prepared and not get derailed every time a new problem comes up.

Based on my own observations of hearing parents posting here - i get the impression they are not really asking for our opinions but confirmation that they're doing the right thing. And when we don't give it freely, they're not very happy and become very self-defensive.

In the future, don't ask for our opinions and advice if you don't want to hear it.

Very sage advice: "Don't want the answer; don't ask the question".

And you are correct. It is confirmation and validation that most are seeking, not learning.

I know you don't have any negative intentions. With that said, my son worked hard to be where he is at, and he will continue to work hard. I don't think it does any one any good to say that "he is still young" or that the early grades are "easy ones." Some things were easy for him, some were not.

It's good for parents to be aware that it becomes more challenging as the students get older. However, it seems like everywhere I turn people are almost sometimes threatening parents with, "oh your child is doing well? You just wait." I've seen it all over the forum, and the comments aren't always directed at me.

I guess my point is that most of us parents who take the time to come onto this forum are knowledgeable, and aware of their Childs needs. I think most of us would speak up for additional help if our children start to have a difficult time with things.
Not threatening.....per se. I mean I do think they are speaking from very rough experiance, and that can come across as threatening. I also think it comes from the fact that WE weren't told that it gets a HELL of a lot harder as time goes on, beginning in 4th grade. A lot of us experianced the exact same thing...we did OK in elementary and then beginning in fourth grade it gets a LOT harder.

, but the sad fact of the matter is, nothing will provide him with the education he was denied as a student in this district.

years of remedial correspondence ed maybe

im doing remedial correspondence ed(at the states correspondence school Home | Te Aho o Te Kura Pounamu) and im worried that when i lose my age out and become a fee paying ADULT student that lose my accommodations (paper colour, font size,written transcripts)

We know that a majority of parents have been deluded into thinking that mainstreaming would give their children "normal" lives without understanding the consequences.
sadly fact of life is that most parents are deluded into believing that their child is "normal person"with needs that to be fixed by mainstreaming and therapy (which can create serve mental health problems with me dissociation and alters and eating disorders) instead of a person who accesses the world in way.

Sorry, Public Law whatever.....the one that encouraged mainstreaming.
I really think that someone needs to update that law. If I recall correctly, it was the result of a lawsuit by parents of mentally disabled kids, who were being denied an education in their local schools.
While it's good that public schools can't deny a kid admission based on disabilty, things have changed drasticly. Nowadays schools seem to be basicly prep schools. There's really nothing for kids who may not need preperation to go to college....unfortunatly that includes most kids with mental disabilty.
Blind kids and dhh kids were being educated at the state schools, and weren't falling through the cracks, or having to deal with clueless resource room teachers or only fifteen mintues of Braille or ASL instruction.
What we need is a ruling that disabled kids ARE entitled to an education....BUT that it needs to take the form of a contiunum of placement. Meaning residental schools, specialized day schools and or programs and inclusion.....just like deaf ed!

That would be Public Law 94-142.

years of remedial correspondence ed maybe

im doing remedial correspondence ed(at the states correspondence school
Um there's no specialized deaf ed correspondance ed. He needs DEAF ED. He does not have a learning disabilty where he can catch up. If he did, he would have been served adquadtuly in a resource room style sped. He should have been sent to the state Deaf School, where he could have been taught by qualified trained teachers of the Deaf!
You know what might be a good idea thou? Maybe they could send him to Michiagan School for the Deaf (they serve dhh kids up to age 26) and then to that college in Texas.

Back