Grandview district fighting ruling that it failed boy with severe hearing problem

She took the schools word that he was doing well. As a parent, I would have investigated further but that's also because I'm literate and educated
Not to mention that you're very well educated on all the educational options out there. Like you know that the Deaf Ed system (deaf schools and regional programs and magnet programs) isn't just for voice off kids/oral failures etc.
A lot of parents of dhh kids may not even know that there are deaf schools out there, or may believe the "experts" when they say it's something out of the '60's or something.

I was rereading A Deaf Adult Speaks Out by Leo Jacobs. This was written thirty years ago. At the time he had been working in deaf ed for about 40/50 years. He said that before mainstreaming became the norm, the kids from the mainstream were the bright ones. After PL, the kids from the mainstream weren't exactly the best and brightest......that was thirty years ago!!!! Have we learned nothing?

I think part of the challenge was that the mother was illiterate, and obviously not highly educated. She took the schools word that he was doing well. As a parent, I would have investigated further but that's also because I'm literate and educated. This mother probably didn't know her Childs rights, and didn't realize how far behind he was. Shame on that district and LEA for letting him slip through the cracks. That's terrible.

Not just that district, it is happening everywhere. That interpreter thing you just went through?? Just a "feeler" on who you were.

Not just that district, it is happening everywhere. That interpreter thing you just went through?? Just a "feeler" on who you were.

What are you implying? That the district is trying to get a feel for me? They already know I mean business. The district rep was clearly less knowledgable about the law than myself. I have filed a compliance complaint and for due process against the district. I haven't backed down when they've said no to me before, and have been successful in every disagreement I've had with the district.

My situation with the interpreter was specifically them not knowing or understanding the law. This is a VERY different situation from mine and my Childs.

What are you implying? That the district is trying to get a feel for me? They already know I mean business. The district rep was clearly less knowledgable about the law than myself. I have filed a compliance complaint and for due process against the district. I haven't backed down when they've said no to me before, and have been successful in every disagreement I've had with the district.

My situation with the interpreter was specifically them not knowing or understanding the law. This is a VERY different situation from mine and my Childs.

You've established a reputation of being serious early on and you showed that. They backed down. You got what you wanted. I don't think this can get any simpler. Am I on track?

Yup, you read me right. It will not be the last time either.

You've established a reputation of being serious early on and you showed that. They backed down. You got what you wanted. I don't think this can get any simpler. Am I on track?

Yes, that is correct. That's not to say that they never say no- but when they do I don't back down. Like my husband said yesterday, they should have learned by now not to tell me no.

Yes, that is correct. That's not to say that they never say no- but when they do I don't back down. Like my husband said yesterday, they should have learned by now not to tell me no.

:wave:

Parents are the crucial key in all this.

Not in this case. The school is the key, and they behaved in a totallly unethical and illegal manner. They passed this child through just to get him out of the system. They gave him A's and B's that he obviously had not earned. The school was the one in the position to know that his work was not passing work. They were charged with providing him an education, and they failed miserably to do so.

Well, that's a pity.

And not to mention cultural differences. The Spanish culture holds a certain respect for those they consider to be well educated and expert in their field. She was conditioned to believe what they told her.

The fact of the matter is, this school district not only failed to educate this child, they took advantage of his mother knowing she was vulnerable.

Let me guess, When the parents discover the Deaf School/program, they start raving about it right? It's not only good for the kids, but it's also awesome for the parents......the parents no longer need to fight tooth and nail with clueless admins who have no real idea how to educate dhh kids.
Do you remember the mom of the teen hoh girl, (from a few years ago) who had done auditory verbal and then solotaire mainstreamed her? Then the girl had learned about deaf school, somehow. The mom put her in FSDB....and the difference was amazing. I remember the mom kept saying " Oh we were told this and that by the therapists....but it turns out they were clueless.
I really think a lot of the pro oral and pro mainstream "deaf ed" experts out there are basicly just parrotting what they learned from CID or reading Ann Geers or Carol Flexor.....sigh.

I remmy her. Her daughter was named Deborah, right? I really felt sorry for her when she realized she had been conned by people she thought she could trust with her daughter's welfare.

I was rereading A Deaf Adult Speaks Out by Leo Jacobs. This was written thirty years ago. At the time he had been working in deaf ed for about 40/50 years. He said that before mainstreaming became the norm, the kids from the mainstream were the bright ones. After PL, the kids from the mainstream weren't exactly the best and brightest......that was thirty years ago!!!! Have we learned nothing?

No, because we all know that today's deaf children will have a very different experience than any other deaf kid has ever had because they have the CI.

**sarcasm ended**

Yup, you read me right. It will not be the last time either.

Sadly, it will not. Parents who agree to mainstream placement for their deaf child need to understand that they will never be able to rest on their laurels.

i was rereading a deaf adult speaks out by leo jacobs. This was written thirty years ago. At the time he had been working in deaf ed for about 40/50 years. He said that before mainstreaming became the norm, the kids from the mainstream were the bright ones. After pl, the kids from the mainstream weren't exactly the best and brightest......that was thirty years ago!!!! Have we learned nothing?

pl?

I remmy her. Her daughter was named Deborah, right? I really felt sorry for her when she realized she had been conned by people she thought she could trust with her daughter's welfare.

Deborah is the mother's name. She never mentioned her daughter's name. I remember her because her posts was really long.

Not just that district, it is happening everywhere.
I hope you don't feel like we're ganging up on you Csign, but a BIG reason why we're very pro Deaf ed, isn't b/c of some old fashioned Deaf School loyalty, or b/c we're thinking "deaf school/program GOOD so mainstream school is BAD!" It is b/c it can be and is very difficult to deal with clueless hearing administrators who don't have a background in dhh ed. It can be VERY very easy to burn out from that. That's all. It IS possible to get a decent education in the mainstream, but at times it almost seems like you have to be a disablity rights lawyer to effect any change or get good accomondations.
I mean hell......there is a reason why there are still new Deaf Schools/programs (and not just oral preschools) being created.
We're just trying to let you know that the fight can lead to extreme burnout.
Her daughter was named Deborah, right? I really felt sorry for her when she realized she had been conned by people she thought she could trust with her daughter's welfare
No, the mom was named Deborah.....and yeah I did also feel bad for her. At the same time, I was SO elated that she had finally GOTTEN it! Looking at her daughter thrive and really acheive at a Deaf School, with ASL and Deaf culture.......
vs, dog paddling in the mainstream. You know I think those pro AVTers just don't get it. They simply do not get it about the average dhh kid, and they are effing clueless about what a typical school is like........
jillo, do you see a lot of victims of AVT in your therapy?

Sorry, Public Law whatever.....the one that encouraged mainstreaming.
I really think that someone needs to update that law. If I recall correctly, it was the result of a lawsuit by parents of mentally disabled kids, who were being denied an education in their local schools.
While it's good that public schools can't deny a kid admission based on disabilty, things have changed drasticly. Nowadays schools seem to be basicly prep schools. There's really nothing for kids who may not need preperation to go to college....unfortunatly that includes most kids with mental disabilty.
Blind kids and dhh kids were being educated at the state schools, and weren't falling through the cracks, or having to deal with clueless resource room teachers or only fifteen mintues of Braille or ASL instruction.
What we need is a ruling that disabled kids ARE entitled to an education....BUT that it needs to take the form of a contiunum of placement. Meaning residental schools, specialized day schools and or programs and inclusion.....just like deaf ed!

Back