Got a question about appliances

...I found just the action of hand washing dishes for 5 to be relaxing. The soapy water over the hands just felt to calm and everything. I had the knowledge that my dishes were lovingly cared for and clean and sanitized to my satisfaction and I felt able to accomplish something good for myself at the time. We had a dishwasher in our mobile home, but half the time, we had to rewash the dishes and so I just decided to no longer use it unless we had a massive quantity of dishes. (Family coming over for a holiday).

I still like hand washing the dishes, and do find myself sitting with a tea cozy out in the carport getting some sunshine and doing my Sudoku puzzles or reading a book. Drives MIL nuts,and I get that satisfaction that I can enjoy something that she can't ruin. :lol:
Women and their kitchens are very personal relationships. I can totally understand the dishwashing thing. It's not for me but it makes sense. :) If you don't need a dishwasher, that's fine, and allows you a little more storage space, which is important, too.

I research appliance reviews and specs, and then decide what works best for me. I think that's what you're doing, too. Gathering the technical input, funneling it thru the budget, and then sifting it thru the emotional filter. It works. :thumb:

When we get the new house, I will be using my grill and crock pots more often. There is so much I want to do in a day, and quite franklyu, standing over the stove is not it. :giggle:

Luckily, I have lots of practice with cooking and no working oven or stove top. :laugh2:

I so love our crockpot too. We do most of our cooking either on the stove, toaster oven, or in the crockpot. The microwave (as I said earlier mostly for water, etc.) Our actual oven does not get much of a workout at all.

I still laugh when I think of something my cousin said -- she has a husband and two children. She hates to cook; all of their meals are either take-out or frozen -- "the only reason I have a kitchen is because it came with the house!"

You are probably a traditional, a cozy nook lover with a quilted flowered tea-cozy in it lady - yes? bit of Victorian era style,
or country is my guess for you :)I love stainless steel, industrial look, modern minimalism, monochromatic colors
although my own home is anything but.

I however wholeheartedly agree with you that a stainless steel is a pain
in the...
to keep it spotless looking.
So is glass, too, and that's why as much as I also love the glass table top
I gave it up for I couldn't stand these forever present specks of dust on it.

Fuzzy

Laughing here - you are very perceptive! You're pretty close on the tea cozies! I have one that's puffy, not quilted, in a dark green ivy print on white - and I have, um, 3 or 4 crocheted ones, made by my husband's aunt - yes, I do like a sort of country/traditional kind of look. The Virginia house is more formal than our beach house, which is "coastal casual," I'd say.

But both of them have a relaxed, homey feel in the kitchens. The Virginia kitchen has white appliances, oak cabinets, large green and white squares (Pergo) on the floor, "Autumn Wheat" walls (a deep, autum yellow, with a touch of brown to it), valances in a dark green, apple red, deep yellow, and tan checked pattern, and white Venetian blinds.

The beach house kitchen has a vinyl floor in a sort of mottled design of cool blues, greens, and creams, maple beadboard cabinetry, and biscuit appliances. Sunny yellow walls, with one accent wall in a silvery-sage green. And a hanging sign that says "Beach house rules - Relax, relax, relax!"

Stainless steel just isn't my thing for either of those places. They would change the mood to something I really don't much care for.

Last edited:
lolol I wasn't so far off, after all! :)

A very cozy kitchens you have, Beach Girl! a true heart of home!

Fuzzy

My mom had a pink refrigerator. Do not ask me what possessed her to buy it, at some point in the mid-70's. We had that boomerang pattern on the Formica countertops that was all the rage in the 1950's, and the pattern had some pink in it, so I guess she wanted to "match." Tell me how much sense it makes to buy a refrigerator to match 20-year-old countertops that should have been replaced anyway.

She had it until she sold the house in 2005.

Martha Stewart could rest easy; she had no competition from my mom, that's for sure.

My mom had a pink refrigerator. Do not ask me what possessed her to buy it, at some point in the mid-70's. We had that boomerang pattern on the Formica countertops that was all the rage in the 1950's, and the pattern had some pink in it, so I guess she wanted to "match." Tell me how much sense it makes to buy a refrigerator to match 20-year-old countertops that should have been replaced anyway.

Martha Stewart could rest easy; she had no competition from my mom, that's for sure.

That brings back memories. My grandmother had a pinkish "icebox" when I was little. Big ol silver handle on it. I bet the door weighed 200 lbs by itself.

That brings back memories. My grandmother had a pinkish "icebox" when I was little. Big ol silver handle on it. I bet the door weighed 200 lbs by itself.

Hmm, I wonder if pink was a popular fad color for homes at one time? I remember when my parents bought their house the upstairs bathroom had pink fixtures (tub, sink and toilet). My parents bought maroon towels in a feeble attempt to make it more gender neutral. :P

I'm guessing the fixtures were installed when the house was built and I would guess, based on the house's style, that it was built in the late 1950s, early 1960s. My parents also never replaced the fixtures. They held up very well, BTW, the color was just a very ugly shade of pink.

MIL's house was built in 1962. She still had until last year, her avocado green fridge with silver handle. The bathroom off the "blue room" has blue and white tile floor, blue tile shower and walls and did have the pink sink and toilet. We recently replaced the sink and toilet with new white ones. Her bathroom still has the original sink and shower. That sink is avocado green and her new toilet is white and the shower and all tile is black & white.

We have a neighbor whose house was built by the same person in the same year. She still has all the original fixtures from 1962 in both her bathrooms. It's all pink. Both houses will have the old heater like coil thing on the wall that acts like the vent fan almost. the ones on our house still work, but since the wiring is old, it's a fire hazard.

Something like the pink in this picture?

Vintage Bathroom Fixtures - topics.info.com

Close and possibly even spot on, its been awhile since I last saw the bathroom. :)

I'll take back what I said in my earlier post, it's not actually an ugly shade ... but I never liked it for bathroom fixtures. I just thought it was too much.

Sometimes people get really creative in their home decorating -- someone told me that their downstairs half-bath was painted entirely black, even the ceiling when they first moved in. :shock:

Something like the pink in this picture?

Vintage Bathroom Fixtures - topics.info.com

Close and possibly even spot on, its been awhile since I last saw the bathroom. :)

I'll take back what I said in my earlier post, it's not actually an ugly shade ... but I never liked it for bathroom fixtures. I just thought it was too much.

Sometimes people get really creative in their home decorating -- someone told me that their downstairs half-bath was painted entirely black, even the ceiling when they first moved in. :shock:

There was a thing for that in the early 70's My other grandmother had trendy toilets that were Pink, yellow and light blue. And they were rectangular. :shock: The pink bathroom had pink,red and silver. Metallic wall paper. It was like an acid trip just walking in there. Funny thing is my grandmother was the farthest thing from a hippie that ever lived.....she just liked wild colors.

I enjoy it when people are creative with colors with things like wallpaper, paint, accessories. Things that are easy to change, in other words. Fixtures that should last 25 to 50 years, at least - not so much. Classic white always goes with anything.

Some of those wild colors in tiles from the '50s are now back in fashion again! I'm glad I don't have to live with them, though.

The link that Beach Girl gave got me to looking further and found this 47 colors of tile from B&W tile which I hope works for it is so similar to what one of my aunts used when renovating a bathroom in a very, very old house in the 1960's. I still don't like the pink with black trim! But even though the company I worked for was doing an apartment building with solid pink in some of the bathrooms at the time I was unable to get her to change. She was bound and determined that the cap had to be a different color than the field. I did (and do) like the small gray tile she used on the floor. The main differences between what she did and the referenced site are that she just tiled the walls and floor with the cove base pink and the floor just the small gray tiles.

There was a thing for that in the early 70's My other grandmother had trendy toilets that were Pink, yellow and light blue. And they were rectangular. :shock: The pink bathroom had pink,red and silver. Metallic wall paper. It was like an acid trip just walking in there. Funny thing is my grandmother was the farthest thing from a hippie that ever lived.....she just liked wild colors.

:laugh2: My parents also purchased metallic wall paper for the pink bathroom in the early 1970s. They weren't the hippie types either. My guess is that they met a very convincing sales person. :D I remember my mom regretting the wall paper as soon as it was up on the walls.

She still liked it, she just regretted putting up something very trendy -- she had a feeling she wasn't going to still like it a few years later and she was right.

But my parents also purchased a deep orange carpeting and living room furniture with that color in the early 1970s. I recall my mother also thinking it was trendy but deciding she didn't care because she and my dad really liked that color. They still had it more than 30 years later and as far as I know liked it just as much as the day they purchased it. It screamed 1970s but they didn't care -- they loved it.

When it came time to sell the house though they went with a beige carpet. :)

I enjoy it when people are creative with colors with things like wallpaper, paint, accessories. Things that are easy to change, in other words. Fixtures that should last 25 to 50 years, at least - not so much. Classic white always goes with anything.
Some of those wild colors in tiles from the '50s are now back in fashion again! I'm glad I don't have to live with them, though.

I agree....especially with the bold.

:laugh2: My parents also purchased metallic wall paper for the pink bathroom in the early 1970s. They weren't the hippie types either. My guess is that they met a very convincing sales person. :D I remember my mom regretting the wall paper as soon as it was up on the walls.

She still liked it, she just regretted putting up something very trendy -- she had a feeling she wasn't going to still like it a few years later and she was right.

But my parents also purchased a deep orange carpeting and living room furniture with that color in the early 1970s. I recall my mother also thinking it was trendy but deciding she didn't care because she and my dad really liked that color. They still had it more than 30 years later and as far as I know liked it just as much as the day they purchased it. It screamed 1970s but they didn't care -- they loved it.

When it came time to sell the house though they went with a beige carpet. :)

My grandmother had a really long shag in most of the house on top of all this....It was green,yellow and blue. She loved it. She stayed with the colors for at least 20 years.

Both of our bathrooms will be totally white in tile, paint, sink and toilet. Even the cabinet will be off-white. I will bring in color with the shower curtain, towels and accessories. I will even use removable stickers on the tiles and be able to change the themes.

Back