Got a question about appliances

I'm curious (but you don't have to answer), why are you not having a microwave?

I'm curious (but you don't have to answer), why are you not having a microwave?

I have never really liked them. I did have one for a long time (8 years) and I almost never used it. We don't do "convenience" foods that are microwavable and when using it to thaw out meat, it just is too much. Now, I did have a meatloaf recipe that was for the microwave that I liked, but we lost the recipe a while back and never got it again.

Kids have watched too many episodes on YouTube for Jory Caron's "Is it a Good Idea To Microwave This?" and for some reason, I just don't trust them. MIL has one and it has been used a whole 4 times in 2 1/2 years. I just basically don't see the need for one. It's a waste of counter space and I would never have one as my stove hood again. Had that in the mobile home and it was more problem than I wanted to deal with. When the fan died for the stove hood part, the only way to fix it was to buy a new microwave/hood. At that point the microwave still worked. Then after the microwave died, we just left it alone and never used it. Couldn't afford to replace it at that point and didn't see the need.

I use mine almost only for water purposes - making tea, etc. And that still gets used often considering how much I make that. I could probably just heat the water on the stove, but heck, the microwave's there :)

Edit: re-heating foods oven taste better/crispier in the stove or toaster oven, so I don't use the microwave for that either.

Sorry - I should have realized that. I did not mean to take it wrong. I actually have very little wall space in the kitchen as it is. I know in a house we rented years ago and the cook top and a double wall oven. It must not have been a very good one as we had nothing but trouble. Also, maybe they are different now, but all I have seen are smaller ovens. MIL claims hers is full size, but I know it isn't as the oven we had before in Missouri would hold 2 cookie sheets easily and I can't use a full size cookie sheet in her oven. I was in the appliance store with her a while back when we had to get her a new refrigerator and all the wall ovens were small there as well.

Even though the house is 1366 square feet, it's the bedrooms that are large.
Bedroom 1 - 13X11 (me and hubby)
Bedroom 2 - 13X11 (daughter)
Bedroom 3 - 10'8X11'3 (mother)
Bedroom 4 - 11'10X11'5 (son)
Living/Great room - 12'10X18'10
Kitchen - 12'10X11'10 ( actual floor will be 9'X10')
Laundry room 7'5X3'6

There are also 2 bathrooms. The Living/Great room will be both a living room and my computer/arts & crafts/sewing room. Closets are not figured in those measurements. We will also have 11 foot ceilings, tile floors, minimal windows (hurricane and airport issues) and full A/C with ceiling fans in each room to help circulate. There is going to be a massive HEPA unit for the allergies and asthma in the house. (think pure clean air) I will also be getting a full 10X20 covered back patio that will have a roof like a carport and be totally solid. We are also going to have a full concrete block and re-bar storage shed with roll-up garage style door, regular door and windows. All for approximately $85,000. We currently have the foundation and the building. It is a 2 bay garage with storage area. Roof is in perfect condition and will need no repairs. This garage was built in 1970 and has only had to have the 2 doors (house type) replaces and the roof resealed twice.

I am a little bit late now, but if you still can,
try and see if the store with the appliances
are willing to supply a free designer for you or at least help to pick the best appliances
if you buy the products from them over the certain sum.

To explain better, for example
a good 10 years ago IKEA supplied a free interior designer for the entire kitchen if you bought the cabinetry for over the 5 thousand dollars
(which we did)
so once we supplied the floor footage, they organized it for us, space and color for alliances included
which worked great :)

Also, once again about front load w/d - since I have them and know a thing or two about them by now :)
depending on the model, they do have a short washing cycle program,
and newer models are not so sensitive to soap suds,
also perhaps because mine is HE (high efficiency) formula that's why it's so sensitive to suds, if you buy a regular one you can use whatever laundry soap you like with no plm, I suppose.

What is great about these new front load though, they calculate how much water they need so when you have less laundry, they use less water
and you conserve on the water and electricity = less money.

Both top loaders and front loaders have their good point and bad points,
it really is just a matter of preferences.
I like both equally, really, it's just when I was buying the front one it was something new then :)

I have no idea what would I buy now :)

Fuzzy

I am a little bit late now, but if you still can,
try and see if the store with the appliances
are willing to supply a free designer for you or at least help to pick the best appliances
if you buy the products from them over the certain sum.

To explain better, for example
a good 10 years ago IKEA supplied a free interior designer for the entire kitchen if you bought the cabinetry for over the 5 thousand dollars
(which we did)
so once we supplied the floor footage, they organized it for us, space and color for alliances included
which worked great :)

Also, once again about front load w/d - since I have them and know a thing or two about them by now :)
depending on the model, they do have a short washing cycle program,
and newer models are not so sensitive to soap suds,
also perhaps because mine is HE (high efficiency) formula that's why it's so sensitive to suds, if you buy a regular one you can use whatever laundry soap you like with no plm, I suppose.

What is great about these new front load though, they calculate how much water they need so when you have less laundry, they use less water
and you conserve on the water and electricity = less money.

Both top loaders and front loaders have their good point and bad points,
it really is just a matter of preferences.
I like both equally, really, it's just when I was buying the front one it was something new then :)

I have no idea what would I buy now :)

Fuzzy

I don't think she wants a front load washer because of her mother's dementia.
We must have had one back in the late 50's/early 60's because I remember hearing a story about my sister or a friend opening it when it was running...not a good idea. :o

The main reason I said no to the front loading was the expense. I will be price checking things more and more. I do know the front load washers are supposed to be more energy and water efficient, but when doing about 13-18 loads a week and sometimes more, it really doesn't show much. I do know that we will be saving water with our tank-less water heater.

From what we have been told by a energy counselor through the electric company and also someone like it from the water department, when looking at our plans and the list that the contractor thought of, we are looking at our electric being right around $70-$90 a month year round and our water should average $18-$20 a month. That's for a family of 5, with 2 cats and the computer running basically 24/7. We might have a surge in the electric during extreme temps of up to $100, but not much more is what we were told. Budget wise, I have budgeted electric of $125 and water at $25 just to be safe. MIL's electric with all 6 in her house and not energy efficient appliances has been about $125 a month, so I think I am right with my though process. Now, she does not have central A/C and we will, but she does have this wall type unit that forces air and is designed to cool down the whole house with the help of fans.

As far as my mother: yes, her dementia is a concern and it is getting worse. Quite frankly, I'm not sure if what she's going through right now is tiredness from the holiday, or if she is on a massive downward spiral. I don't have to worry about her opening the washer before it's done. More often than not, she forgets about the laundry and I have to keep up. I think it's time for me to take over again.

No, no, I am not pushing for a front load for Kristina specifically,

just adding general info in case anybody else was ever interested.

Fuzzy

As far as my mother: yes, her dementia is a concern and it is getting worse. Quite frankly, I'm not sure if what she's going through right now is tiredness from the holiday, or if she is on a massive downward spiral. I don't have to worry about her opening the washer before it's done. More often than not, she forgets about the laundry and I have to keep up. I think it's time for me to take over again.

I am sorry about your mom - have you taken her to the doctor yet?

Fuzzy

Well, I just had a conversation about this during xmas and, basically, electric stoves suck. I've never used one myself, but my sister (and apparently everyone else in the universe) have concluded they suck.

So, my suggestion is to go with a large crock pot instead of the stock pot. I've only heard good things about crock pots so I'd go that route.

Also, if you like good rice get the zijorushi rice cooker, all good things about that as well.

Luck....

I am sorry about your mom - have you taken her to the doctor yet?

Fuzzy

She see 2 different doctors every 3 months. She has Hepatitis C, cirrhosis of the liver from the Hep C and dementia that is both ICU-induced and a side effect of the cirrhosis. Her primary care doctor is keeping up with things and her "blood" doctor (hematologist) will also be her Hospice doctor and he keeps an eye on her blood level for the cirrhosis. I am her primary caretaker and make all the decisions for her. I now have Power of Attorney for her medical, personal and financial concerns.

it look like sound home probably complication your home! independence difficult I understand I reading I am pretty notice not easy!

lots of suggest to improve your adjust to your best your efforrt, cause lots of stress your mother of law belong to her!!!

sound like budget complication! fiance house!

This thread has gotten me to thinking how different our appliance preferences are!

For instance I got my first microwave and dishwasher in the mid to late 1970's. And have continued to have one of each ever since.

I never cared for washing dishes and when I discovered there were 18" wide portable dishwashers I bought one! At that time I was living in an apartment which we (the company I worked for) had built with space beside the sink with the idea that those that wanted a dishwasher could provide their own. Instead I used that space for a portable clothes washer that hooked up the same way as a portable dishwasher. I also had a small dryer that ran on 110 and didn’t need to be vented but I had one of our carpenters cut me a piece of leftover paneling the width of one window and make a hole in it the size of a vent with hose to blow lint outside rather than have to vacuum it up (it was put in the window only when using the dryer). So, I did have to move the dishwasher when I wanted to use it — which was when it got full! Since by the time it quit I had purchased a house I now have a full size one.

I do use my microwave a lot. For instance, part of my Christmas dinner was turkey breast fillet which I did in the microwave. I also used the microwave for gravy out of a jar that I added to as well as Stove Top stuffing and green beans. In fact, the only things not done in the microwave were brown & serve type bread sticks that were done in a toaster oven. I did no dessert. I wouldn’t want to be without a regular oven but what it gets used for mostly anymore is if I have something to make cookies or a cake for.

I do have a small rack inside for hanging underwear because I believe all the elastic lasts longer when not put in the dryer. Otherwise I use my dryer year round because of what I have read about fabric collecting allergens when hung on a clothes line outside.

Well, I just had a conversation about this during xmas and, basically, electric stoves suck. I've never used one myself,

Well, until you ACTUALLY use one, maybe you should refrain from posting ignorant posts? :roll:

This thread has gotten me to thinking how different our appliance preferences are!

For instance I got my first microwave and dishwasher in the mid to late 1970's. And have continued to have one of each ever since.

I never cared for washing dishes and when I discovered there were 18" wide portable dishwashers I bought one! At that time I was living in an apartment which we (the company I worked for) had built with space beside the sink with the idea that those that wanted a dishwasher could provide their own. Instead I used that space for a portable clothes washer that hooked up the same way as a portable dishwasher. I also had a small dryer that ran on 110 and didn’t need to be vented but I had one of our carpenters cut me a piece of leftover paneling the width of one window and make a hole in it the size of a vent with hose to blow lint outside rather than have to vacuum it up (it was put in the window only when using the dryer). So, I did have to move the dishwasher when I wanted to use it — which was when it got full! Since by the time it quit I had purchased a house I now have a full size one....
Wow, we have a shared appliance history! :lol:

I had the portable dishwasher, portable clothes washer, 110 dryer, and small scale built-in dishwasher. I've been thru avocado green, copper tone brown, harvest gold, almond, and white.

I like white or biscuit appliances too. Really don't see the attraction to stainless steel. They usually are hard to keep clean, as they get fingerprints and smudges all the time, and to me, they look cold and industrial, which is definitely not the look I'm going for in my kitchen(s).

I was slow to be converted to microwaves. Both my younger sisters had them and told me I was really missing out by not having one. This was probably 20 years ago, if not more. So I bought one, a counter-top one, at a garage sale, and used it so much, I finally bought an over-range type built-in when we bought a new stove.

Now, I couldn't imagine life without it. I make poached eggs or oatmeal in the microwave every single morning, heat up soup sometimes, and heat frozen dinners fairly often. That, my George Foreman grill, and my toaster-oven all get a workout; the big oven might go unused for weeks at a time.

For two people, we just don't cook in a way that requires a big oven very often. I could give that up before I'd give up my microwave.

She see 2 different doctors every 3 months. She has Hepatitis C, cirrhosis of the liver from the Hep C and dementia that is both ICU-induced and a side effect of the cirrhosis. Her primary care doctor is keeping up with things and her "blood" doctor (hematologist) will also be her Hospice doctor and he keeps an eye on her blood level for the cirrhosis. I am her primary caretaker and make all the decisions for her. I now have Power of Attorney for her medical, personal and financial concerns.

Oh gosh, I am so sorry. Your mom has so many things to deal with.
And you too, such a serious responsibility, I am sure it is not easy
to be in your shoes, wow.

Fuzzy

Really don't see the attraction to stainless steel. They usually are hard to keep clean, as they get fingerprints and smudges all the time, and to me, they look cold and industrial, which is definitely not the look I'm going for in my kitchen(s).

You are probably a traditional, a cozy nook lover with a quilted flowered tea-cozy in it lady - yes? bit of Victorian era style,
or country is my guess for you :)

I love stainless steel, industrial look, modern minimalism, monochromatic colors
although my own home is anything but.

I however wholeheartedly agree with you that a stainless steel is a pain
in the...
to keep it spotless looking.
So is glass, too, and that's why as much as I also love the glass table top
I gave it up for I couldn't stand these forever present specks of dust on it.

Fuzzy

I like white or biscuit appliances too. Really don't see the attraction to stainless steel. They usually are hard to keep clean, as they get fingerprints and smudges all the time, and to me, they look cold and industrial, which is definitely not the look I'm going for in my kitchen(s).

I was slow to be converted to microwaves. Both my younger sisters had them and told me I was really missing out by not having one. This was probably 20 years ago, if not more. So I bought one, a counter-top one, at a garage sale, and used it so much, I finally bought an over-range type built-in when we bought a new stove.

Now, I couldn't imagine life without it. I make poached eggs or oatmeal in the microwave every single morning, heat up soup sometimes, and heat frozen dinners fairly often. That, my George Foreman grill, and my toaster-oven all get a workout; the big oven might go unused for weeks at a time.

For two people, we just don't cook in a way that requires a big oven very often. I could give that up before I'd give up my microwave.

The bold part is why I think I don't like microwaves. I have never had less than 3 in my house except for about 8 months.

Growing up, we had a portable dishwasher, full size, after I ten. When I got married, hubby bought we a full size portable dishwasher "to clean and sterilize the baby bottles". I found while we were living in Missouri, that with all the stress I had with a hubby and daughter with learning disabilities, a mother with medical issues and a son who was a "know-it-all", that I needed to find a simple easy way to release it all. I couldn't leave the house and we couldn't afford the space or cost for a piano. I found just the action of hand washing dishes for 5 to be relaxing. The soapy water over the hands just felt to calm and everything. I had the knowledge that my dishes were lovingly cared for and clean and sanitized to my satisfaction and I felt able to accomplish something good for myself at the time. We had a dishwasher in our mobile home, but half the time, we had to rewash the dishes and so I just decided to no longer use it unless we had a massive quantity of dishes. (Family coming over for a holiday).

I still like hand washing the dishes, and do find myself sitting with a tea cozy out in the carport getting some sunshine and doing my Sudoku puzzles or reading a book. Drives MIL nuts,and I get that satisfaction that I can enjoy something that she can't ruin. :lol:

I have white appliances. Stainless (oxymoron) steel are much more expensive, just for the finish. They are also more upkeep to look nice. There are mock stainless finishes, sometimes combined with black sides, that are midrange price. Maybe they're easier to keep shiny. :dunno: Sometimes black appliances look good.

I like bright and light but that's my personal preference. I've seen kitchens with darker finishes that look very warm and high end.

...For two people, we just don't cook in a way that requires a big oven very often. I could give that up before I'd give up my microwave.
That's the key, I think. You and I are in couples-only households. KristinaB still has a large family to care for. I too, give the microwave and mini-oven of my two-oven range a workout, and only use the full-size oven rarely.

We also use our outdoor grill a lot, year 'round.

I also like my rice cooker and crock pot. No need to stand over the stove tending to pots. :giggle:

Back