God--- Us versus Them?

Beowulf

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am getting sick and tired of implications that God is on one side or another, and particularly sick of those who tiredly use that old trite standby, the Bible.
Where are your hearts???
Get real.
There are SO MANY holy books in the world and I am frankly getting frightened that in spite of all our good intentions, we are directly playing into the hands of the fanatics, the religious right.
Calm down.
Use logic.
Take deep breaths.
There are other religions ya know, and I am getting pissed off we sound like stark raving Americans, like we think we own the world.

I agree.

I always am and will be a logic-based person. That's me. But I do invest my faith in God and Jesus... but never raving or force my beliefs on others or judge others. Seem that America is devolving back to Old Europe's Dark Ages in no time where 'faith' dominates over 'logic'. Maybe we have to reject the logic-based facts and embrace the faith-based facts like... Earth is FLAT! Sun is REVOLVING AROUND the earth! *nods*

Last edited:
I am a Christian, but I also am very geared towards logic. This is probably because I was exposed to the medical community very early in my life. When someone presents an argument to me, I want to hear facts to back up their argument. Not opinion, but unbiased facts. It's very distressing to me to see things that are slanted to one side of an issue or the other. That's not what I want. I want to see facts presented, so I can make up my own mind about an issue. I am not one that likes to be led.

Last edited:
I'm a Christian, but yeah, I disagree with what a lot of other Christians do/say and how they live.

And I especially hate when they say what God can and can not do, and where God does and doesn't stand on certain issues. Last time I checked, God was God and we're not.

Edit - and you're right... A LOT of Christians makes it all out to be "Us against the world" and it shouldn't be.
I consider myself to be an open-minded Christian, so I don't stand where most do on different issues.

Last edited:
Well God and Allah are not the same god to arabs. Allah is their god just like buddah is the japaneese gods.

Yeah, I understand all that feeling. I am very logic person, if you know me. In the Christian world, and they proclaim that this world isn't Christian's home. Christian's home is at Heaven. That is why there are lot of hot and long debating on various issues. I understand with all that. I always talk with bible on the action and faiths. With budget or buying or investing or anything else than action or faith and I always use logic wise.

In fact, we are at war between Religious, which one is right or there is no religious? That had been in our history forever.

Beowulf;

I agree sweetie :hug:

I know how it feels that there are some Christen people who are too uptight, too preaching and too controlling I don't like that. I have my own briefs and I do not used it to preach others and I wish the same respect in return. :aw:

This issue is one that bothered my with my Ex's family. They are VERY religious and I felt weird because I am open and don't have any religious beliefs. I felt preached to. I hate that. Every person has the right to believe in what they want to believe, and everyone has the right not to be preached to, also. I have friends who are Catholic, Muslim, Jewish, Christian, Baptist, Atheists, and probally others. None of them preach their ways to me and I like it.

Yeah, I'm a Christian myself here too and I don't do that either and I believe some people take it a bit too serious! and not knowing that not everyone share the same belief....

I can understand where most of you are coming from on this, and I have the respect for each one of you! ;)

Magatsu said:
...Maybe we have to reject the logic-based facts and embrace the faith-based facts like... Earth is FLAT! Sun is REVOLVING AROUND the earth! *nods*
Whose "faith-based facts" are those? That is not in the Bible.

Beowulf said:
I am getting sick and tired of implications that God is on one side or another
God doesn't take sides. He makes the rules, and each person decides to either obey or rebel against those rules.

There are other religions ya know...
Yes, there are many religions. But one's relationship with the Lord is personal, one-on-one. That is not religion, that is spiritual relationship.

Beowulf said:
In reference to your claim that the Bible does not say the earth is flat---oh yes it does.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/febible.htm
Thank you ;) I know that it was there in the bible.

Reba, I am sure you know the history... for many, many years... religious people has been insisted that Earth is flat... until logic-based people finally debunked that 'faith-based' fact.

Last edited:
Magatsu said:
Thank you ;) I know that it was there in the bible.

Reba, I am sure you know the history... for many, many years... religious people has been insisted that Earth is flat... until logic-based people finally debunked that 'faith-based' fact.
No, it is not stated that the earth is flat in the Bible.

The Catholic Church enforced the geocentric philosophy. Christians of the Bible did not.

I will try to reply in more detail tomorrow night. I have to get up for work in less than four hours :zzz:

Reba, I can explore and debate forth and back with you about this (christians who did or still believe that Earth is flat) but I think I had enough with religion debate...

Someday, I will chip in and share my researches in this topic. In any case, good luck and hope you will have a good sleep.

oh yes, plus to that.. I was just half-joking.. half-sarcastic in my first post of this topic ;)

ravensteve1961 said:
Well God and Allah are not the same god to arabs. Allah is their god just like buddah is the japaneese gods.

Are you really sure that Buddha is the Japanese gods? I think you have your facts confused.

Buddha is not a god, but a reverred man who found the path to enlightment, or Nirvana. He is not equal to a God, nor is he in plural. You are mixing that with Japanese Shintoism religion.

And not all Arabs believe in Allah. There are some Jewish Arabs, Christian Arabs, etc... You really should say to the Muslims, not Arabs.

God is one for all communties and being called by different name and style by different religion. God is nothing but nature who is also guided by certain rules and regulation.
:rl:

ravensteve1961 said:
Jewish arabs? I dont think so,,,Cause why you think they all hate isreal?

The Arabs are a group of people, just like "North Americans," and not all of them are anti-Jews. Some are Jewish themselves. You're subscribing to the gross overgeneralised idea of what an Arab is. It's a dangerous thing to believe in!

Back