gay McDonald's commercial

No but from where I stand you are reading in a whole lot that may or may not be there.

Explain.

Also, keep in mind that the French pride themselves on their literature and art having difficult and multiple meanings (or at least make attempts to.) I think the very intent of the ad may be to encourage people to read into it.

I say: FAIL

Explain........
You said;

".....it seems to be reinforcing the idea that gays need to hide their identities by implying that the father doesn't know his son is gay and that the son can't talk to his father about it."

The guy is talking on the phone to a friend and says he misses him. First off that doesn't mean he is gay. He went to an all boys school and maybe just misses his friend. The come as you are statement might lead someone to believe he is gay but to me that is not conclusive.

Assuming he was gay there is nothing that would lead me to believe from the commercial that gays need to hide their identies. In fact this might be the perfect time for the son to explain to the father that he is gay. A shot in the arm for McDonalds. Come out over a happy meal.

Just exploitation of a social trend.

That's what advertising is all about.

from my perspective I don't tend to see orientation as a trend....

from my perspective I don't tend to see orientation as a trend....
The trend is in the companies competing for the "My company is more open-minded than your company" position.

"My company is more gay-friendly, green, ethnically diverse, etc." It puts the focus on "social awareness and responsibility" rather than promoting the features and benefits of their products.

In the MacDonalds' commercial, for example, what do you remember--the food or the family drama?

Yep.

Back