Gallaudet Protests

Nesmuth said:
Thats like 30 bucks a day in gasoline expenses for a machine like that.

Candles , chemical sticks, and jars of fireflies would suffice

and it could be fun too :)

fundraising.jpg

Richard

Hello Nesmuth,

Are you going to create a new fundraising program for BPN?

I could locate a good one they can use.

But I got too many knives on my back from these kind of folks to be thinking of helping them.

Richard

They're making a mockery of the protest system.

When you protest, you have to make a firm statement expressing your concerns. You can do so by standing up with signs. If you want to sit down, sit at the curb or on the ground.

I reviewed a lot of pictures of the protest. I saw people sitting in couches chatting with each other. I saw people sitting in lawn chairs with sunglasses and chatting on their Sidekicks (or playing with their PSP or GBA). I saw people laying down on mattresses and inflatable mattresses. I saw people on their laptops. I saw people playing video games on a big screen television that they actually brought outside. I saw people all hooked up and plugged into the university's electric system.

You call that protesting? I call that a joke.

You want to protest? Get off your ass and stand up! Stop playing games and pay attention! Anyone can sleep on a couch or a mattress, but it takes guts and serious motivation to actually sleep on the ground. Anyone can sit under the trees, but it takes endurance to stand under the sun.

They're all a bunch of lazy bums.

Gallaudet's Next President Won't Bow Out

By Susan Kinzie and Michael E. Ruane
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, May 5, 2006; Page A01

As protesters blocked every entrance to Gallaudet University yesterday, the target of their anger -- Jane K. Fernandes, the newly named president -- said she has no intention of withdrawing and believes she is caught in the middle of a cultural debate over what it means to be "deaf enough."

Born deaf, Fernandes grew up speaking rather than using sign language, went to mainstream public schools and did not learn to sign until she was 23. "All those things are markers that define what kind of deaf person I am," she said in a meeting yesterday with Washington Post editors and reporters. "We're in a little bit of an identity politics struggle on campus regarding who speaks for deaf people."

"Over time I will build up support," says Jane K. Fernandes, Gallaudet's next president. (By Linda Davidson -- The Washington Post)

Jane K. Fernandes, Gallaudet University provost who was named Monday to succeed I. King Jordan as president, fields questions and comments about her recent appointment.

The university's faculty members are considering holding no-confidence votes Monday, faculty sources said, challenging Fernandes's selection and how the board of trustees handled the search for a successor to President I. King Jordan. The National Association of the Deaf has sent a letter urging the board to quickly resolve the unrest at Gallaudet, which for many is the cultural center of the world's deaf community.

"The protests are about much more than Jane Fernandes," said Jordan, president since students demanded a "Deaf President Now," launching a rights movement and vaulting him into the presidency in 1988. "It's about what it means to be deaf in the 21st Century."

Since Monday, when Fernandes, the current provost, was named to lead the school beginning in 2007, a growing number of students, staff, faculty and alumni have united. On Wednesday, about 1,000 people gathered in Gallaudet's field house for a rally, demanding that the search be reopened and protesters be protected from reprisals.

The opposition to Fernandes is complex and symbolic of many of the issues simmering as deaf culture changes, pushed along by science and technology and demographic shifts. As more deaf or hearing-impaired young people get cochlear implants that allow them to hear and communicate differently, and as more students go to mainstream public schools rather than schools for the deaf, some deaf people worry that American Sign Language and the shared identity could be lost.

Some agree that it is about cultural deafness; others say it is more complex.

After polls by the student newspaper showed that very few faculty members and students supported Fernandes, the board's choice shocked the campus, sophomore Kevin Fletcher said. "We felt we hadn't been heard."

For some, it is an issue of race, with a flawed search process that shocked the community when a strong black candidate and former chairman of the board, Glenn Anderson, was not one of the three finalists, despite the growing proportion of deaf children who are not white.

For some, it is proof of a board out of touch with the campus and a search that, effectively, was decided before it started.

And for some it's personality. Jordan, a charismatic leader who loves to schmooze, raised the profile of both the school and the deaf community. Now, many want the university's president to be much more than an academic head; they want someone who will give voice to deaf people. Jordan called it a "deaf mayor," someone chosen by the people to represent them.

Fernandes said the controversy is about who speaks for Gallaudet and who belongs there. "The answer has to be it belongs to all."

Immediately after Fernandes's name was announced Monday by interim board Chairman Celia May Baldwin, a spontaneous demonstration by students erupted. Since then, the students have held midnight rallies, erected a tent city by the main gates, pulled together rival groups into a united organization. More than 2,600 alumni have signed an online petition echoing there demands.

But a small movement in support of Fernandes has taken shape. "In some people's views, [she is] the wrong kind of deaf person," said Judy Berglund, an aide to Fernandes. "She also represents change for this university. . . . Change is a scary thing."

Fernandes angered opponents Wednesday when, in an online chat on washingtonpost.com, she said that Jordan had interviewed her and the other finalists.

Protesters said Jordan was too involved in the selection process, acting as a reference for Fernandes, talking with her and other finalists -- and then telling students at a protest that he had stayed out of it.

"I'm not sure if it's appropriate for King to participate in the process. And what puzzles me most is why we were told he wasn't involved at all," senior Anthony Mowl said.

Jordan said he initially wanted to be involved in the search but was told that he couldn't be. He talked for 90 minutes with each of the finalists but told them to think of it as a conversation, not an interview, he said.

Yesterday, Fernandes said she "made a big mistake online" in calling it an interview.

In an e-mail, Baldwin said King did not intervene or try to influence the vote, although he was a reference, which she feels is appropriate.

Jordan said that Baldwin has agreed to a videophone conference with the protesters and that they have cleared the board's agenda of non-urgent items to meet with protesters next week.

"Maybe I will not have 100 percent support," Fernandes said, "but I'm sure that over time I will build up support from people as this thing moves on."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/04/AR2006050402095_2.html?sub=AR

Signs of Discord, Seen and Heard

Washington Post, May 6, 2006

At a recent protest at Gallaudet University, a sophomore ran through the crowd waving his arms, yelling and signing, "Louder! Louder, for others to hear!"

They're trying to get their message out: unity for Gallaudet, a sign language message that starts with hands that are clasped together and move in a circle. They want the world to listen. It's not always easy.

This week, protesters have been angry about the way that President-elect Jane K. Fernandes was chosen, about the fact that all three finalists were white, about the selection of a provost not well respected on campus, about the choice of someone they don't believe is a strong leader for the deaf community, someone who is able to speak for them all. She will be the second deaf president to lead the school.

Again and again, students have said, they're angry about not being heard. Even after days of protests, they say the administration still doesn't understand their message.

There are counterprotesters, too, handing out fliers, supporting Fernandes, wanting the disruption to stop.

After a march and rally yesterday, hundreds of people packed into an auditorium to hear from board members. They'd already put up signs on the building: We want to be HEARD. It's very different from the last time Gallaudet protests made headlines, in 1988 when the Deaf President Now movement took on such power that it became a civil rights rallying cry. Back then, students used fire alarms to alert everyone to gather; now they page each other, since so many carry BlackBerries or similar gadgets.

It's easy to spread the word to the deaf community off campus. People across the country and overseas have been following, with intense interest, the presidential search and protests through blogs, videos of people giving speeches in American Sign Language and photos of students blocking the gates with their bodies and a rented truck.

But they know the hearing world might not understand.

Sometimes at rallies, hearing people who don't know sign language just watch, read the banners, feel the anger, see hundreds nodding and waggling fingers in support. Sometimes interpreters are there to translate, but the language is so different, and some people sign so quickly or are far so away or hard to see, that nuances can be lost.

So what is seen is crucial.

At the first protests Monday afternoon, student leaders climbed onto the big stone gates at the entrance to the Northeast Washington campus, high enough above the crowd so that everyone could see their hands. With her arms jerking, hands swooping and eyes, mouth, body, everything silently showing how upset she was, how important it was, a student signed, "Don't leave. If we leave, we give up. Don't leave!"

They showed their resolve by bringing blankets and sleeping at the main gates as the temperature dropped. Tiny screens glowed blue in the dark that night, as students tapped out messages to one another or snapped photos. And they chanted, everyone making the same signs, over and over.

Sometimes the protests are quiet, fingers and lips moving without sound. Sometimes they're loud: yelling, beating drums, stomping feet on bleachers, blasting rap music from car stereos. Some of the students can hear loud noises; some feel the vibrations.

On Wednesday, about 50 people -- leaders of a coalition of faculty, students, staff and alumni that they say pulled together what had been a fragmented campus -- stood in front of packed bleachers, signing speeches with powerful movements to emphasize their words. They swayed, bent, hopped forward, jabbed elbows, circled hands, widened eyes. Sometimes people yelled, or waved fingers in the air to applaud, or stomped the wooden bleachers like a thunderclap. People beat on big drums, which resonated through the room in deepest bass, and students jumped and signed the school cheer, smiling, lifting their arms to egg the crowd on.

Afterward, organizers gathered in what they now call the war room at long tables set together into a rectangle, everyone signing at once.

Outside, students were carrying sleeping bags, pillows and radios down to the area by the front gates. Tents had popped up like fat, colored mushrooms in the grass, and flames hissed on grills, sending up the smell of charred hamburgers. Two guys in cargo shorts lugged a big white cooler down the hill. Someone cranked up an Eminem CD. Some studied on their laptops or read. Others watched enormous TVs set up on the grass.

Senior Joe Vieira wandered away from the tents and looked up at the carved stone on one of the old buildings on campus, each flower a little bit different. He loves the place; like most people at Gallaudet, he thinks it is not just a school. It's home and community and the place the deaf world looks to: the leader speaks for the deaf everywhere, he said, and often speaks for the deaf to the hearing world.

At midnight, student leaders stood under the lights at the gate house, signing to a crowd of about 200. They lit candles, leaning over to touch the wicks of the next person, then formed a circle, holding the flames up into the darkness. Then they blew them, tiny puffs of smoke floating up into the silent night.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 14
Mookie said:
protest_1.jpg

4_3.jpg

4_4.jpg

Hey Gally Students,

Get the Generators

Good Luck

Wow, they find a way to fight with better technology vp to contact hearing people like enforcement law. It impressed me. :) Obviously, they would not give up.

8th Avenue and Florida Avenue are very dangerous place to stay overnight. I am amazed, they are brave to stay outside.

Daunting silence from the protest front! It 3 pm there and no fresh blurb from the frontline!

Richard

Mookie said:
We will wait and see how many students may not enroll again for this fall semester...

If people truly care about Gallaudet, they will still attend in the fall. If they are contemplating not returning, encourage them to go! The best way to fight the system is to be in it.

ayala920 said:
If people truly care about Gallaudet, they will still attend in the fall. If they are contemplating not returning, encourage them to go! The best way to fight the system is to be in it.
I hope the protesters think about not returning in the Fall. That would certainly clean out the non-serious students! ;)

VamPyroX said:
I hope the protesters think about not returning in the Fall. That would certainly clean out the non-serious students! ;)

Really?

Talking Points
Written by FSSA Editorial Team
Saturday, 06 May 2006
TALKPOINTS ON BEHALF OF FSSA

• It's not about individuals, it's about social justice.

We need to be free from oppression on campus, and to be viewed as being equals. This includes demonstrating respect for all views and perspectives, and also showing civility at all times. The lack of social justice has contributed to the low campus morale and the President-Elect has done not enough to improve that the past 6 years as Provost.

• The role of President at Gallaudet University is seen as being more than just a university administrator, it involves the role of ambassador for the international Deaf and hard of hearing community.

Gallaudet stands alone in its uniqueness. Gallaudet is the direct line of understanding between the hearing world and the international deaf and hard of hearing community. The president has to be able to be the "face of Gallaudet" by being approachable and being a leader who empathizes and shall advocate for the deep-set values of the community.

• We resent the president's office's divisive actions this week.

Dr. Jane K. Fernandes has been going around campus trying to increase her number of supporters, rather than addressing directly the concerns of FSSA. The president's office is oppressing the students and staff's right to protest by giving MPD the permission to use full force on students and threatening staff about their involvement. Another tactic she has used include not providing interpreters as a university service and denying access to buildings, and e-mail privileges while allowing her supporters full access. A leader should not divide! This has proved her inability to be an effective leader of the university.

• There are too many unanswered questions regarding the role of the president's office in the search process and the inclusiveness of diversity and the community perceptions.

There must be a new search process that is inclusive, fair and free of any appearances of interference or manipulation. This includes the progress from the beginning to the end. The Coalition of Organizations for Students of Color has recognized this from Day One, and we have united as one, for as the bottom line, the process was flawed and has failed us.

• We care deeply about Gallaudet and its future. This protest is to save Gallaudet from low academic expectations and exclusionary university practices.

As provost, Dr. Jane K. Fernandes has failed to improve those areas, and as president, she will not be able to do so. The FSSA is putting the values of Gallaudet above the university's desire to keep a "status quo". Therefore, she is an unacceptable choice. The poor community morale will continue and the university will NOT heal until she realizes this and RESIGN for the best needs of Gallaudet.

VamPyroX said:

I am going to disagree with you VERY strongly on this one. I was originally quite vocal in my opposition to the protests (as was made evident by previous posts). The turning point for me was when I noticed how many well-respected people on campus are involved, both faculty and students. Ben Bahan and MJ Bienvenu, both well-known and highly respected members of the Deaf community. One of the 3 people who interviewed me for the HUG program. The SBG president and several other title-holders in the organization (several of whom are friends of mine). Writers and editors for the Buff and Blue (also several of whom are personal friends). I know a lot of people on that campus who are widely recognized students on the campus for their multiple acheivements, and they're all involved. It started out as a few unorganized kids, and it's flourished into a full-blown protest.

While the protests themselves won't last throughout the summer, many students are staying on campus and will continue to fight for what they believe in. Come August, I expect the protests will start again, though most likely in the form of demonstrations, rallies, etc.

ayala920 said:
I am going to disagree with you VERY strongly on this one. I was originally quite vocal in my opposition to the protests (as was made evident by previous posts). The turning point for me was when I noticed how many well-respected people on campus are involved, both faculty and students. Ben Bahan and MJ Bienvenu, both well-known and highly respected members of the Deaf community. One of the 3 people who interviewed me for the HUG program. The SBG president and several other title-holders in the organization (several of whom are friends of mine). Writers and editors for the Buff and Blue (also several of whom are personal friends). I know a lot of people on that campus who are widely recognized students on the campus for their multiple acheivements, and they're all involved. It started out as a few unorganized kids, and it's flourished into a full-blown protest.

While the protests themselves won't last throughout the summer, many students are staying on campus and will continue to fight for what they believe in. Come August, I expect the protests will start again, though most likely in the form of demonstrations, rallies, etc.
If the protesters decide not to return to school in the Fall, that shows that they would rather protest than to finish their education.

I've seen students here at NTID who sit around whining about how NTID sucks and that they don't care if they fail or wish they could just quit. When I ask them why they're here right now, they say they're here to get an education. I then ask them why they say they just want to quit school. They say, "I dunno."

If you're going to sit around and be a lazy bum, get the hell out of here. If you decide not to come back, fine with me. It's your choice. At least, I know where you stand... "I rather not get a degree than to have a president I don't like."

This is like taking classes. I am required to take this particular class. Only one professor is teaching it. I don't like the professor. Should I never take the class (even if it means I will never get my degree without it) just because I don't like that professor?

VamPyroX said:
If the protesters decide not to return to school in the Fall, that shows that they would rather protest than to finish their education.

I've seen students here at NTID who sit around whining about how NTID sucks and that they don't care if they fail or wish they could just quit. When I ask them why they're here right now, they say they're here to get an education. I then ask them why they say they just want to quit school. They say, "I dunno."

If you're going to sit around and be a lazy bum, get the hell out of here. If you decide not to come back, fine with me. It's your choice. At least, I know where you stand... "I rather not get a degree than to have a president I don't like."

This is like taking classes. I am required to take this particular class. Only one professor is teaching it. I don't like the professor. Should I never take the class (even if it means I will never get my degree without it) just because I don't like that professor?

Hear, hear.

Man, I hate whiners.

VamPyroX said:

My point was that the students protesting aren't idiots who are doing it to get out of class. Notice the number of textbooks and notebooks people are holding. They had finals this past week, they didn't just forget about that. They're protesting and remaining students.

ayala920 said:
My point was that the students protesting aren't idiots who are doing it to get out of class. Notice the number of textbooks and notebooks people are holding. They had finals this past week, they didn't just forget about that. They're protesting and remaining students.

Ayala920,

Just ingore him,

He always forgets about the freedom of speech....

Do not push any button on him since I dont want to see you getting banned from him as a plain silly MOD...

Mookie said:
Ayala920,

Just ingore him,

He always forgets about the freedom of speech....

Do not push any button on him since I dont want to see you getting banned from him as a plain silly MOD...

Seeing as I wasn't making any personal attacks on him, or being offensive in any way, I'm not too worried about it. Thanks for the warning anyway.

ayala920 said:
If they're still studying for their finals, then I applaud them for their efforts.

I'm talking about students who would rather not return to school next Fall because Gallaudet won't change presidents.

Back