Gallaudet President Announced!!

azdeafteen said:
There is NO Wrong between Day School/Residental School for the Deaf between Mainsteam. I think Gallaudet Student are begin stupid and going protest before see how Dr. Jane K. Fernandes can make success for Gallaudet University. Maybe Dr. Jane K. Fernandes can change and begin more social with Gallaudet students. there is no perfect.

I am used to be student at Phoenix Day School for the deaf since 1991 to 2005. i leave PDSD to transfer to Sequoia School for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing on same campus of Arizona Conservatory for the Arts and Academics i am currently mainstream student. there is NONE Wrong with mainsteaming.

If I win the Gallaudet University they protest me i will NOT GOING STEP DOWN like Elisabeth Zinser. I will stay and keep strong in my mind and make it change for gallaudet university.

my options is Dr. Jane K. Fernandes is going to be 9 th president of Gallaudet University PERIOD. i want to see Dr. Jane K. Fernandes' experience with Gallaudet student and more interact.

Wonder if you know who is Brian Steinhoff? Do u know the Amann family? Just curious siince u went to PDSD

CCfan said:
For dear god, I hope she is deaf. Please save us for our deaf culture from anti-ASL, worst Galluadet president ever! I love ASL, and I am deaf, too. Anyhow, I don't think she will be best President of Gallaudet.
I think she is an average level that between good to great. I think we will be fine. But if she is hearing, what I do? I don't have to find a job, lack of
an opportunity, lack of deaf culture that is NOT GOOD!
I want keep deaf culture for ours! We are in DEAFWORLD.
I am just kidding, about that-- "Deafworld". I would like to say it. [laughs]

I will wait and see what it happens-- will be good or gone bad? :dunno:

I don't like to see at protests will be crazy, but it's not. They are very calmly.
I hope she will be supporting with deaf and hard-of-hearing people whose are
having the fairly culture for those individuals.

Why don't you bother to READ the posts in this thread? She's NOT HEARING!!
She's deaf, and was raised in a mainstream environment - that's why they're protesting because its yet another "not Deaf enough" crusade.

Even if she WAS hearing - why are you likening a hearing president of Gally to being the downfall of a complete culture? That's giving her more power than any one person could possibly wield. How could Gally having a hearing president prevent you from succeeding or getting a job? *scratches head*

I think everybody needs to sit down, relax, and celebrate that there is a deaf president, and a female at that -thats two bold strokes alone.

I think the entire thing reeks of fishbowl menality (or crab theory) - Whereas Jane can communicate easily with both deaf and hearing and could theoretically help bridge the gap between the two cultures, those that are demonstrating seem to want to forcibly isolate themselves so that they can happily sit back and complain that "hearing people don't understand them" and that "oral people are out to get them", even when the opposite is true.

Its easier to live in denial than to face change.

Alternately Gally can offer those who don't like the choice of President a choice of their own - nobody's forcing them to attend Gally - they can leave, and go their own way, wherever they want, while they still know it all.

neecy said:
Why don't you bother to READ the posts in this thread? She's NOT HEARING!!
She's deaf, and was raised in a mainstream environment - that's why they're protesting because its yet another "not Deaf enough" crusade.

I think everybody needs to sit down, relax, and celebrate that there is a deaf president, and a female at that -thats two bold strokes alone.

I think the entire thing reeks of fishbowl menality (or crab theory) - Whereas Jane can communicate easily with both deaf and hearing and could theoretically help bridge the gap between the two cultures, those that are demonstrating seem to want to forcibly isolate themselves so that they can happily sit back and complain that "hearing people don't understand them" and that "oral people are out to get them", even when the opposite is true.

:gpost: Right on, Neecy.

azdeafteen said:
There is NO Wrong between Day School/Residental School for the Deaf between Mainsteam. I think Gallaudet Student are begin stupid and going protest before see how Dr. Jane K. Fernandes can make success for Gallaudet University. Maybe Dr. Jane K. Fernandes can change and begin more social with Gallaudet students. there is no perfect.

I am used to be student at Phoenix Day School for the deaf since 1991 to 2005. i leave PDSD to transfer to Sequoia School for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing on same campus of Arizona Conservatory for the Arts and Academics i am currently mainstream student. there is NONE Wrong with mainsteaming.

If I win the Gallaudet University they protest me i will NOT GOING STEP DOWN like Elisabeth Zinser. I will stay and keep strong in my mind and make it change for gallaudet university.

my options is Dr. Jane K. Fernandes is going to be 9 th president of Gallaudet University PERIOD. i want to see Dr. Jane K. Fernandes' experience with Gallaudet student and more interact.

I totally disagree with you..you dont know who is Jane Fernandes, I have personally been there at DPN 1988 (I am former Gallaudet student and MSSD graduate) and I knew Jane's personality are BIG ISSUE...she never truly social with with different level of Deaf Students. She lack immersion of Deaf World...When she got job at Gallaudet, SHE NEVER SOCIAL with students..she all is just focus on higher position. When Jordan was president,I have personal conversation with him...it made me feel better even if he is good or bad president most impt he social period. You had no idea how DPN 1988 is and Jane Fernandes...I was there both way...dont blah about it...because you arent there yet!

rockdrummer said:
From what I read in the news the issue is in part because of her leadership style. There are those that want Gallaudet to be a center for deaf culture instead of an academic institution. Read the article here http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/02/AR2006050201694.html

This is my point...I tried to tell to some closed-minded people even they are deaf not Deaf look at "D" and "d" it is different issue. Gallaudet University cannot be alternated in different way, Jane quoted in her own statement:
"I am a white deaf woman, the daughter of a deaf mother and a hearing father, with both deaf and hearing brothers, all of whom are white people. The generations of white deaf and hearing people in my family have never signed; they have always been oral people. Having grown up deaf, I came to learn Sign Language relatively late, at the age of 23, while I was a graduate student at the University of Iowa. From that time on, I have embraced signing and visual communication as the keystone of deaf education and now the uniting feature of Gallaudet’s diverse, deaf community. While we respect a variety of communication modes and languages among deaf people, we must also unite in affirming visucentric public discourse."
http://pr.gallaudet.edu/presidentalsearch/?ID=8639

So the point, Jane learned sign language because she had to because of communication purpose not out of love for Deaf world..it is big problem!

Whole the point that I think deaf students are discrimination on Jane for being orally. Yes?

EDGE said:
Whole the point that I think deaf students are discrimination on Jane for being orally. Yes?

I really hate to admit that I never like to social with some Deaf people who are raise orally. I have zero tolerate with their attitude due to big ego.

They would not admit themselves that they do not need an interpreter. GRRRR

Sorry topic point out:

Let go back to Galladuet Protester, I can understand why the students are very upset with Jane to become a president because of her personality is not friendly and disrespectfully. I would feel offense if she is not friendly to be working with. I feel uncomfortable to work with colleagues who are orally, unfriendly and know everything.

EDGE said:
If some deaf people discriminate against her just because she is oral, then arent those deaf individuals audists?

It is very interesting to see how different the perspectives are between hearing colleges and a Deaf college.

I attended four colleges (graduated from two), and work at a college; I have never socialized with any of the college presidents, nor would I want to. I don't even remember who any of them were, except the one where I work now.

If you surveyed hearing colleges, probably 99% of the students have no clue who their presidents are, nor do they care.

It is my understanding that college presidents should be selected on the basis of their credentials, experience, and philosophical goals. I don't know if social skills are important, although a certain degree of ability to "schmooz" deep-pocket alumni and patrons is probably a plus.

Is Gally not accepting of oral deaf, late-deafened, mainstreamed deaf, etc.?

If anything, I'm more disturbed by her self-described "whiteness". What's with that?

Reba said:
If anything, I'm more disturbed by her self-described "whiteness". What's with that?
:gpost: I thought I was the only one that picked up on that. Excellent question. I was wondering the same thing. I smell a potential racist.

Reba said:
It is very interesting to see how different the perspectives are between hearing colleges and a Deaf college.

I attended four colleges (graduated from two), and work at a college; I have never socialized with any of the college presidents, nor would I want to. I don't even remember who any of them were, except the one where I work now.

If you surveyed hearing colleges, probably 99% of the students have no clue who their presidents are, nor do they care.

Agreed! I've attended 2 colleges, and haven't a clue who the presidents are.

Reba said:
It is my understanding that college presidents should be selected on the basis of their credentials, experience, and philosophical goals. I don't know if social skills are important, although a certain degree of ability to "schmooz" deep-pocket alumni and patrons is probably a plus.

Is Gally not accepting of oral deaf, late-deafened, mainstreamed deaf, etc.?

I think the general sentiment at Gally is that all of the above are welcomed. It's the militants who don't like them, which tend to be the ones we hear about. I know students who fit into each of the above-mentioned categories, and they had no problem fitting in. I've sat at a table before with someone who was raised orally, mainstream, hard-of-hearing, Deaf, residential school, late-deafened, and myself (hearing), and we all got along well.

Reba said:

I feel like I'm missing something here. Fill me in?

Ayala, check post # 127 above where Fernandes is quoted.

Tousi said:
Ayala, check post # 127 above where Fernandes is quoted.

Ahhh, thank you.

Those comments are... Interesting. While I am a Fernandes supporter, I'm a bit confused as to the reasoning behind mentioning her "white" background.

Yeah, Ayala, I agree; something tells me there's more to that quote IF it indeed a quote by Fernandes. Can anyone provide the full text?

rockdrummer said:
:gpost: I thought I was the only one that picked up on that. Excellent question. I was wondering the same thing. I smell a potential racist.
I've also thought the same thing.
No wonder why some people are not happy with Jane.

Jane F. also seems vague in how she will lead Gallaudet.
Jane seems to wag her whiteness in people's face. This is the elitist attitude that turns off a lot of Deaf students. we don't want a deaf president, we want a Deaf president.

Maybe Dr. Fernandes didn't want people to mistake her for a Hispanic/Spanish person?

Back