Gallaudet President Announced!!

Mookie said:

Good pictures you got there, Mookie. Save them because they may be worth money to go into a Deaf history book like the DPN '88 book you know what I mean ? :cheers:

I looked your web-videos and pictures today.
http://alldeaf.com/showpost.php?p=518357&postcount=3

I am surprised that the gallaudet students are complaining about her.

In fact, she knows how to sign language. I do not see a problem with that. It is important that you understand her communication. She cares about deaf students.

Please stop being weeping.

I think that she is doing fine. I think that Gally students should be shamed, and she is not your Mommy. Her job is to provide you to study for a better education. That's all.

This whole situation is making a mockery of DPN. Adam Stone's write-up states pretty clearly how I feel about this whole situation. Those involved are making it out to be this HUGE thing, when it's really not. Look are the pictures. This isn't a recreation of DPN. The numbers are small, and the truly committed ones represent a very small portion of the overall population. I've read articles and blogs talking about all the students who walked out of the auditorium, and how there was "no applause or cheering." I watched the videos. I saw the applause and I heard the cheering.

Reba makes a good point. How often to university students have any say in their school's presidential search process? Maybe I was young and naive, but I couldn't even tell you the name of the president of the university I attended for a full year, and I know my friends didn't know who it was either. That school was searching for a president while I was there, and no one had any say in the matter.

You know what else? I'm *gasp* hearing. But shhhh, don't tell anyone, because that would discredit me, and render me unable to state my opinion. A "hearie" would like Jane, someone kindly informed me in my personal blog. Guess what? I consider myself just as qualified as anyone to comment on this situation. I got into Gallaudet, and through a much tougher process than that which many people have to go through. And my hearing status has no bearing on my opinion of who the best president is; my ability to analyze the situation objectively, however, does. And that ability to analyze led me to JKF, who I will continue to support as the choice for president.

Again, I urge you all to look very carefully at the candidates' resumes and determine objectively who is the best choice for president.

Heath said:
Good pictures you got there, Mookie. Save them because they may be worth money to go into a Deaf history book like the DPN '88 book you know what I mean ? :cheers:

I just obtained email from my friend in the federal agency.

I am sure that there are lots of students/vistsors using the great digital camera especially professional cameraman and students from the digital A/V dept...

People shouldn't be against her personal. Deaf or not, know sign language at late age or whatever. It's more concern that someone should operation better at the campus to bring more succesful students since it's still low amount students who actually graduation.

During King Jordan, people been give bad name on him that he wouldn't fully support football but rather water polor (I think) which and i do notice when Jordan become president in middle 80s that time there were high precent successful student has grow decrease to present or not.

I am sure people prefer over Stern because of his good personal. But what about his experience that something I may not know what committees make research and collect the interview?

Looks like she will keep the job after all which is fair because she was chosen on the first round. Let's see how she handles G.U. but do not put un-realistic demands on her and let her work speak for itself. I still would go with Ron Stern myself but I respect the decision.

Also I hear the rumor said that King Jordan make personal choice Jane. Is that true? I thought it only from the committees who vote to choice. Whole story are hardly to believe.

EDGE said:
Also I hear the rumor said that King Jordan make personal choice Jane. Is that true? I thought it only from the committees who vote to choice. Whole story are hardly to believe.

Rumors go blah, blah all the time in the Deaf community. I would wait for the Gallaudet papers to come out. I don't know how it works over there but I am sure they will publish the official numbers and who voted for whom ?

Do u mean that right now they still have
protests going on at the campus today and
for the entire week ???

Sure, right now Stern is not as qualifed as Fernandes. BUT Stern is getting a Doctorate in december, the same time he would have become president. Without that, i don't think a lot of students would have supported his candicacy. I know I wouldn't have.

I started this thread but didn't put in my 2-cents (I didn't realize it till now lol).

Anyway, I don't have a problem with Jane Fernandes being Gallaudet's president due to several reasons:

*I grew up mainstreamed, using SEE until my junior year in HS and finally I learned ASL
*I have a very STRONG Deaf identity now (much different than what I had back in HS) but I don't let it get in the way of knowing what is needed in this world that we live in.
*I graduated from RIT so the Deaf culture thing did not really have a big impact on me.
*I am proud of the fact that I have the ability to communicate with both, the Deaf and the hearing. It broadens my horizons and gives me more opportunities than ever.

I understand how some people feel about Jane being president and I respect the fact they are not happy with the decision.

Basically the point is that Jane Fernandes was considered to be the most qualified and it should be left at that. Jane has the capacity to make Gallaudet a better place by improving education, communication, so forth.

Batou said:
Sure, right now Stern is not as qualifed as Fernandes. BUT Stern is getting a Doctorate in december, the same time he would have become president. Without that, i don't think a lot of students would have supported his candicacy. I know I wouldn't have.

Good for him, but if he wants to be president. He needs to get more spotlight on his research and maybe write a couple books too. He needs to get his ass out and give out presentation. Like I say before, his popularity in the deaf community should not be considered as the first priority. :deal:

EDGE said:

Probably, that's why I heard that Gally BOT needed an advise from IKJ...

Reba,

Good question! In fact, most students hardly have any say in the operation of their university. Administrators don't regularly like student participation in their matters and they take steps to make sure that the student body is separate from the administrative process.

Mookie said:
Are you missing something?

Jane Fernandes graduated from the high school as an oralist. She did not bother to learn the ASL until her late twenties. Of course, she has the same views that she have learnt from the audisms...

What do you think why Gally students want to protest....

originally posted by mookie "That's why there is no ADA era."

Why does growing up in an oral background necessarily make someone an oraLIST? Like others have pointed out, many Deaf people (emphasis on the "D" not d), especially among JKF's generation, grew up with an oral background because either they didn't have a choice, or because that was the prescribed educational method back then.

I've grown weary of Deaf Cultural extremists who choose to randomly fling around such terms as "audists", while hiding behind the dogma of pro-ASL sentiment, forgetting that a HUGE number (and perhaps, a majority) of people who identify themselves as Deaf did not grow up in the so called "core" of Deaf culture, but rather discovered it later in life. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with whatever background someone comes from as long as they ultimately identify themselves as big "D" Deaf. Jane Fernandes is no different.

Why even bring up the argument of ADA? I find it ironic that so many supposedly Deaf Cultural extremists whilst railing against being labeled as disabled, will wrap themselves in the big apron strings of the ADA when they feel wronged. Grow up, the ADA doesn't even come into play over the decision to vote Fernandes in... nor should it! In fact, I look forward to the day we no longer need such a thing as the ADA, because only then it will mean we have all (of every background) achieved true equality and accessibility.. but that's another topic!

Superfroggy said:
originally posted by mookie "That's why there is no ADA era."

Why does growing up in an oral background necessarily make someone an oraLIST? Like others have pointed out, many Deaf people (emphasis on the "D" not d), especially among JKF's generation, grew up with an oral background because either they didn't have a choice, or because that was the prescribed educational method back then.

I've grown weary of Deaf Cultural extremists who choose to randomly fling around such terms as "audists", while hiding behind the dogma of pro-ASL sentiment, forgetting that a HUGE number (and perhaps, a majority) of people who identify themselves as Deaf did not grow up in the so called "core" of Deaf culture, but rather discovered it later in life. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with whatever background someone comes from as long as they ultimately identify themselves as big "D" Deaf. Jane Fernandes is no different.

Why even bring up the argument of ADA? I find it ironic that so many supposedly Deaf Cultural extremists whilst railing against being labeled as disabled, will wrap themselves in the big apron strings of the ADA when they feel wronged. Grow up, the ADA doesn't even come into play over the decision to vote Fernandes in... nor should it! In fact, I look forward to the day we no longer need such a thing as the ADA, because only then it will mean we have all (of every background) achieved true equality and accessibility.. but that's another topic!

She is simply an oralist and the worse is that she gave cold shoulders to every ASL student on Gally campus....

Attachments

• jane.jpg
    jane.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 24
  • know thy enemy.jpg
    know thy enemy.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 24
  • never meet deafie.jpg
    never meet deafie.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 25
Mookie said:
She is simply an oralist and the worse is that she gave cold shoulders to every ASL student on Gally campus....

Who cares if she was an oralist? Why do you care about what speaking method she is using? How important do you think it is to communiate with other people regardless of what method they are using? Don't you think blind people should be signing if they were able to hear and speak? What other options can you communicate with your family and friends if you don't have your hands to sign? My opinion, you are a bigot.

Cane Corso said:
Who cares if she was an oralist? Why do you care about what speaking method she is using? How important do you think it is to communiate with other people regardless of what method they are using? Don't you think blind people should be signing if they were able to hear and speak? What other options can you communicate with your family and friends if you don't have your hands to sign? My opinion, you are a bigot.

:ty:

Back