Gallaudet President Announced!!

Mookie said:
Like I said earlier, there is no ADA era.

What the heck is that supposed to mean?

I received an email from my friend at Gally. You wll probalby see the news at 6PM (East Coast) on Fox channel and other networks....

I asked my friend about protest progress. Yes...

Mookie,

Did you read the resumes of all three candidates? Which resume do you think shows the most qualifications for running the university? Just curious.

Endymion said:
Mookie, Jane Fernandes has by far the most qualified background. Did you read her resume and the others?

She has an academic doctorate too. That's very important when you consider running the university.

Yeah, right. Did you know there are lots of deafies with Phd. I smell something not right Gally BOT selection process...

Dont mind me, whats BOT?? i was Gallaudet student for one year and i met Jane Fernados while at NSO week and her attitdude was cold shoulder

Oakley_04 said:
Dont mind me, whats BOT?? i was Gallaudet student for one year and i met Jane Fernados while at NSO week and her attitdude was cold shoulder

BoT= Board of Trustees.

Mookie said:
Are you missing something?

Jane Fernandes graduated from the high school as an oralist. She did not bother to learn the ASL until her late twenties. Of course, she has the same views that she have learnt from the audisms...

What do you think why Gally students want to protest....

Wow it that what it's all about huh? I was raised oral, and didn't learn ASL late so that means my chances of becoming the next president of Gally is slim?

^Angel^ said:
Wow it that what it's all about huh? I was raised oral, and didn't learn ASL late so that means my chances of becoming the next president of Gally is slim?

(I am gonna to pass this one since my comment would probably be deleted)...

I think deaf students should give Jane a chance to run the office. How do we hell know that she is not going to be a good president if she hasn't run one before? My opinion, she doesn't have to be loved by many people, but what does Gallaudet need the most? How many students have graduated from Gallaudet University manage to find a job? Don't they know how to write a resume and cover letter? Aren't they supposed to know how to do it before they graduated? How many deaf people have a sucessful job that doesn't have to work with deaf people?
I do think Deaf cutlure is important, but it not the first prirority! Basically, I think deaf culture feeds the egotism of many deaf students at Gallaudet Univeristy. I think she knows what things need to be done to improve their education and expand more research programs in many departments.
Four years ago, I would pick Gallaudet University for my education only if the chemistry department has a research program. Obvious they dont have it so I chose to attend Univeristy of Arizona. I am getting a bachelor of science in Chemistry. I often wondered how many chem students at Gallaudet know how to read the spectra from Infraed Spectroscopy, Nuclear Maganetic Resonace, and other machine. I'm not surprised if there are few who know how to. The univeristy I go to is considered to be top 10 for chemistry and biochemistry research programs. Can't Gallaudet be top 10 for chemistry research program? I am sure it can only if students are getting more serious about getting their education and think about their future jobs.

This is just my .02 cents.....

Sometimes, I think the Deaf community has to must find something negative to complain about even though that may be good news to celebrate. Of couse, I don't agree with the Gallaudet decision but people here on this thread do bring up some good points. I do know alots of Deaf people react to the body language of that person , I mean instantly look for the visual clues then the next thing is watching closely to what they say especially on something as big as a new Gallaudet President. I thought Ron Stern would make a good Gallaudet President myself because of the hands on experience at the N.M. School f/t Deaf and he has experience with the finanical situation and the day to day operations. I don't see how Jane Fernados would be able to do the same thing on that same level as Ron Stern would be able to do. Yes, In some ways Gallaudet University is way too stuck on Deaf pride, not that is necessarily a bad thing but there are times when will need to focus on the bigger issue at hand. Getting a diploma at Gallaudet is the easy part, well not the easy part but getting a job upon graduation is a big question mark and I don't think the classroom instruction and training manuals that students at G.U. get is currently up to date for the real world of working so that is something that needs to be done and is much more important than Deaf pride. How will we be able to show we are the real deal when it comes to successful Deaf people being highly trained and very motivated in the working world ?

Last edited:
Cane Corso said:
I think deaf students should give Jane a chance to run the office. How do we hell know that she is not going to be a good president if she hasn't run one before? My opinion, she doesn't have to be loved by many people, but what does Gallaudet need the most? How many students have graduated from Gallaudet University manage to find a job? Don't they know how to write a resume and cover letter? Aren't they supposed to know how to do it before they graduated? How many deaf people have a sucessful job that doesn't have to work with deaf people?
I do think Deaf cutlure is important, but it not the first prirority! Basically, I think deaf culture feeds the egotism of many deaf students at Gallaudet Univeristy. I think she knows what things need to be done to improve their education and expand more research programs in many departments.
Four years ago, I would pick Gallaudet University for my education only if the chemistry department has a research program. Obvious they dont have it so I chose to attend Univeristy of Arizona. I am getting a bachelor of science in Chemistry. I often wondered how many chem students at Gallaudet know how to read the spectra from Infraed Spectroscopy, Nuclear Maganetic Resonace, and other machine. I'm not surprised if there are few who know how to. The univeristy I go to is considered to be top 10 for chemistry and biochemistry research programs. Can't Gallaudet be top 10 for chemistry research program? I am sure it can only if students are getting more serious about getting their education and think about their future jobs.

Well, Jane Fernados had a plenty of time to type a cover letter and edit her resume while she researched and compared the candidates' cover letters, resumes and application sheets from the Gallaudet University Library. Yep, she works as a Gally provost on the campus of GU.

Not fair for Ron Stern and other candidates with Phds who have not touched Gally for a long time.

Some of you are complaining that she didn't learn to sign until her 20s and was raised orally.
So? It wasn't her fault! A lot of folks of her generation probaly didn't learn ASL til late. She's at GALLY.....that means she's OK with Deaf Culture and Signing. IYIYIYIYI!!!!!!!!!!! *wanders off to find a brick wall to bang her head against*

I would not be surprised if G.U. students used the same agruement and logic to say that person used S.E.E. until say about age 18 then finally learned ASL but was not fully 100% ASL signed until about let's throw a number here, 43 years old and poof !!!!! Like that, instanteously the G.U. President.

SilverPanda said:
Its in the news now.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/01/AR2006050100770.html

My friend also told me that Gally called the DC police before making their announcement. Isn't that a little bit fishy?

Knowing Deaf people and I am Deaf myself too, It does not surprise me that G.U. called the cops for security and to prevent a campus riot which would have looked something like right out of the Attica prison uprising :rofl: I am only kidding, Seriously nobody wants anything bad to happen so as a pre-cautionary measure. They called the cops ahead of time. Nothing more. I know that will bring out the anti-authority in many Deaf people so stay cool, hang back and protest in a positive national spotlight.

Back