Gallaudet President Announced!!

I have heard that President Jordan earns over $500k a year, which is considerably more than President Bush. (although I argue that Jordan has to spend some of it, while Bush probably doesn't have to spend a red cent for the rest of his life, being guarded by the Secret Service and all.)
Just maybe, just maybe that "$700,000" salary is one of the reasons why Jane F. is refusing to step down.

Batou said:
I have heard that President Jordan earns over $500k a year, which is considerably more than President Bush. (although I argue that Jordan has to spend some of it, while Bush probably doesn't have to spend a red cent for the rest of his life, being guarded by the Secret Service and all.)
Just maybe, just maybe that "$700,000" salary is one of the reasons why Jane F. is refusing to step down.

So you're implying that she's just being so greedy, that's the sole purpose of having that job?

It could be one of her motives. She has stated that she wants whats best for the community and the University. So why doesn't she step down? A true leader would do that.
I read a interesting story on Ridor's Blog, where two mothers fought over the same baby. Both were asked if they would give up the baby or cut the baby in half. The true mother gave up the baby so it would not be cut up in half.

]I have heard that President Jordan earns over $500k a year, which is considerably more than President Bush. (although I argue that Jordan has to spend some of it, while Bush probably doesn't have to spend a red cent for the rest of his life, being guarded by the Secret Service and all.)
Re-quoted for emphasis

Batou said:
It could be one of her motives. She has stated that she wants whats best for the community and the University. So why doesn't she step down? A true leader would do that.
I read a interesting story on Ridor's Blog, where two mothers fought over the same baby. Both were asked if they would give up the baby or cut the baby in half. The true mother gave up the baby so it would not be cut up in half.

That's a stupid BIBLICAL story. Why would Ridor, of all people, quote the bible, is beyond me.

To offer perspective on Jane Fernandes's stubborness and inablity to lead? That's what I got from it. I am not sure Ridor said it, I think he quoted someone.

Another Letter: This time it was sent to NBC Nightly News with copy to me from Columbus, Ohio. Enjoy!

No matter how we are supportive of Fernandes or not, her ability to lead or credibility to represent us have all but destroyed. Even if it wasn’t her fault. The community has already rejected her, even that you don’t agree with it. No matter how small voice has made this happened. There is no way Fernandes can come back. It is too hostile environment for her. If she does prevail, we will see increase in student extremism or dissension within faculty if not within the University. Gallaudet may not survive.If angry people don’t get what they want, more violative they will become, thus more polarized we all will become. We cannot allow this to happen. Just like King Solomon story in biblical times where two mothers fighting over claim of a baby, each was asked to choose whether to split her baby in half or give up the baby, and true mother gave up the baby in order to save the baby.

A true leader would step aside just to save University, not to be a statue that pulls down his whole community. Fernandes nor Jordan did not even take this opportunity to move up next level where only exceptional leaders would explore where no other leaders have gone before.

If I was in Fernandes’ shoes, I would just step aside and try to undergo the search process all over just prove once again that BOT’s first selection was the right one, and prevail at last.

Smart one would just get anger to vent out and then cool down, thus effectively sending students home and have BOT reject the resignation and to reaffirm its original decision in which put selected finalist back to helm. Students couldn’t be that angry twice for which momentum would be all but lost. If students had real valid reason for this protest, they might be successful once again. But again, Fernandes just blew this chance to be successful President of our Alma Mater. Now, she has to go.”

Robert J. Cooper, ‘93
Columbus, OH

She Knew ASL & Deaf Culture? I saw Jane K. Fernandes’ open forum last Monday at noon (where the NBC Nightly News took a cameo of me talking to the staff member), I could not really enjoy watching Jane talking. She claims to sign ASL. But she does not sign ASL. And she has the facial expressions that seemed to alienate people in general.

But again, it is not about her usage of ASL, knowledge of Deaf Culture, or gender issues or her clothes from K-Mart. It is about how she performed as an administrator.

Last Sunday, Brian Morrison asked her a question on the stage. Jane K. Fernades told him she’ll answer his question when he steps off the stage. Morrison declined and wanted to follow up the question if needed. Fernandes then refused to answer and pointed at the floor (while staring at Morrison, indicating that he has to get off.). Morrison caved in and got off the stage — since the stage is about a foot above the ground level, Jane then bend a little and said, “Now I can talk to you.” It was such a patronizing manner, that she is above him and the rest.*end quote*

Jane Fernandes is a bigot, and I hope this is obivous to everyone.

Evaluating the candidates

I read all three letters of application and resumes in addition to reading half the posts on this thread, before trying to evaluate the candidates for myself. The intended target (audience) was the Board of Trustee. I could tell Jane Fernandes made her application and resume very thorough and clear-cut, but seemingly indifferent towards deaf people. It made it harder to understand her real motives, unlike the other two candidates.

I feel it is imperative and equally important that Gallaudet students feel a connection towards their president, even if the President's job does not require making decisions alluding from the students opinions. Gallaudet is unique in that it's the first university in the world (to my knowledge) to have a deaf president; and having a deaf/HOH President that shows enthusiasm for deaf people and fully understands their needs is just as important as the ability to deal with the stress load.

In Ron Stern's application and resume, it seemed he could connect to and understand deaf people's needs better than Jane--because he exhibited he has an "inside" understanding of deaf culture as indicated in his background at the California Schools for the Deaf. His tone in his presentation appeared more diplomatic and understanding towards deaf people. That is an important strength. Jane Fernandes, however, has 10 years of experience as Gallaudet Vice-President and Provost and that may have given the Board of Trustee reason to like her more because she has experience in how things are run at Gallaudet University from the adminstrative branch of government.

While going over the resumes of both Ron and Jane--one thing I found was how Ron had worked at the California Schools for the Deaf as teacher and principal, as well as coach; while Jane had worked with Associations for the Deaf, Deaf Centers, etc--which are "mostly administrative functions". Ron has both "inside" and "administrative" experience having worked at schools for the deaf--he previously served as Director of Instruction at CSD-Freemont, and Director of Athletics at Gallaudet (after having experience as basketball and football coach at two California Schools for the Deaf). Ron seems like a better candidate in favor of representation for deaf people.

Jane, on the other hand, has divided her application into very well organized, specific sections. She has shown that she will be very efficient when "getting down to business". She may even be better at it than the other candidates. But will she be understanding of deaf people? From her application, I could not tell because of her indifferent tone. As a result, I would have gone for Ron Stern in the best interests of deaf people.

Theseus said:
I read all three letters of application and resumes in addition to reading half the posts on this thread, before trying to evaluate the candidates for myself. The intended target (audience) was the Board of Trustee. I could tell Jane Fernandes made her application and resume very thorough and clear-cut, but seemingly indifferent towards deaf people. It made it harder to understand her real motives, unlike the other two candidates.

I feel it is imperative and equally important that Gallaudet students feel a connection towards their president, even if the President's job does not require making decisions alluding from the students opinions. Gallaudet is unique in that it's the first university in the world (to my knowledge) to have a deaf president; and having a deaf/HOH President that shows enthusiasm for deaf people and fully understands their needs is just as important as the ability to deal with the stress load.

In Ron Stern's application and resume, it seemed he could connect to and understand deaf people's needs better than Jane--because he exhibited he has an "inside" understanding of deaf culture as indicated in his background at the California Schools for the Deaf. His tone in his presentation appeared more diplomatic and understanding towards deaf people. That is an important strength. Jane Fernandes, however, has 10 years of experience as Gallaudet Vice-President and Provost and that may have given the Board of Trustee reason to like her more because she has experience in how things are run at Gallaudet University from the adminstrative branch of government.

While going over the resumes of both Ron and Jane--one thing I found was how Ron had worked at the California Schools for the Deaf as teacher and principal, as well as coach; while Jane had worked with Associations for the Deaf, Deaf Centers, etc--which are "mostly administrative functions". Ron has both "inside" and "administrative" experience having worked at schools for the deaf--he previously served as Director of Instruction at CSD-Freemont, and Director of Athletics at Gallaudet (after having experience as basketball and football coach at two California Schools for the Deaf). Ron seems like a better candidate in favor of representation for deaf people.

Jane, on the other hand, has divided her application into very well organized, specific sections. She has shown that she will be very efficient when "getting down to business". She may even be better at it than the other candidates. But will she be understanding of deaf people? From her application, I could not tell because of her indifferent tone. As a result, I would have gone for Ron Stern in the best interests of deaf people.

Very well said!

It wasn't really all about her not being "true deaf' or whatever, but the real point was due to the her qualifications between these 2 candidates especially Ron's.

In fact, 4 years ago they had a poll on the campus with a question, "Who won't be the next Gally Prez". Guess what ... Jane was rated the highest amongst others that they voted for who, they believe, won't be next prez. So why? They knew who she was and didn't like her well. So that adds up.

I don't care if she is hearing or true deaf or late deaf cuz they shouldn't be considered within the qualifications that much. True .. it would be so silly, otherwise.

At first, I thought it was like the DPN copycats striking down for the reason "deaf", but once I gathered more informationa nd listened then I discovered that there was much more than that, actually. So I agree and support the BPN.

Hope that it solves out for the best with the Gally community, peace.

web730 said:
It wasn't really all about her not being "true deaf' or whatever, but the real point was due to the her qualifications between these 2 candidates especially Ron's.
Good point, and I agree. It was her ability to coordinate the University that won the jury's vote rather than being part of deaf culture. Hope it solves out for the best too!

I recieved an E mail from Provost Fernandes to the Gallaudet Community (I am a returning student at Gallaudet in the fall) It seems the Board closed the open meeting and Fernandes has/will resign from her Provost posistion to transition to president and with Jordan, will set up a commitee to search for a new Provost. It s looking grim for the protesters who want Fernandes out.

Dennis said:
That's a stupid BIBLICAL story. Why would Ridor, of all people, quote the bible, is beyond me.

Ridor thinks he is God of the deaf. He's a very interesting person and he's a very marketable person. Yet he decides to spend all day sitting on a pickle and typing a lot of interesting stuff on his domain blog.

Richard

Batou said:
I recieved an E mail from Provost Fernandes to the Gallaudet Community (I am a returning student at Gallaudet in the fall) It seems the Board closed the open meeting and Fernandes has/will resign from her Provost posistion to transition to president and with Jordan, will set up a commitee to search for a new Provost. It s looking grim for the protesters who want Fernandes out.

I'm ingorant with the selection process but why have the senate vote nay on her becoming a prez if its not going to do anything?

Kai Onca said:
I'm ingorant with the selection process but why have the senate vote nay on her becoming a prez if its not going to do anything?

Clairify, and if possible, link, please. I am not sure I follow you. Are you talking about the U.S Senate or the Board of Trustees?

I talked to some people who are still in the DC area. The protesters are regrouping and plan to come back stronger in the fall. Also I was told that a lot of freshmen withrdrew their applications. I am not sure why a lot of them would withdraw their applications, unless they felt it was the wrong time, or overzealous hearing parents forced them to withdraw their applications... I can imagine a lot of hearing parents getting the wrong idea about the protest from reading the media's misrepresentation, and Fernandes's constant answer, " I m not deaf enough".

Batou said:
Also I was told that a lot of freshmen withrdrew their applications.

That makes me so sad. I know this was a big concern that many people involved had, that the protests were going to turn people away from Gallaudet, which is exactly what we didn't want happening. *sigh* I hope this doesn't affect the fall semester too much. I, personally, will be going to Gally this fall no matter what.

Batou said:
Also I was told that a lot of freshmen withrdrew their applications.

I think whomever told you this was just spreading rumors.

First off, no one is going to come out and say, "Yeah, a bunch of new applicants withdrew recently." Anyone who works in the office of administration who WOULD know if such a thing were true that would get fired for saying that.

Secondly, even if people withdrew their applications, I bet you there's plenty more on a waiting list that Gallaudet can mail and say, "You still interested in going to college here? One person dropped out and you were next on the waiting list!"

Gallaudet supposedly averages 300-400 new freshmen every fall, but it always gets smaller for the spring semester.
You are right, nobody in the Administrator's office or registrar's office would come out and say that, but never underestimate the faculty. It is well known that a majority of the faculty do not like Fernandes.

Dennis said:
Secondly, even if people withdrew their applications, I bet you there's plenty more on a waiting list that Gallaudet can mail and say, "You still interested in going to college here? One person dropped out and you were next on the waiting list!"
:rofl: Quite unintentionally funny!

Gallaudet has an 'inverse' admissions policy of sorts. Sure, they reject applicants, but accept a whole lot more and there's room to spare.

Personally, I hope upcoming Fall admissions do not fall from their historical norms, if any. I read somewhere in an OMB report that Gallaudet recruited seven percent of the 2002 incoming DHH postsecondary class. I'd hate to see admissions slipping significantly and jeopardizing Gallaudet's finances.

Batou said:
Gallaudet supposedly averages 300-400 new freshmen every fall, but it always gets smaller for the spring semester.
You are right, nobody in the Administrator's office or registrar's office would come out and say that, but never underestimate the faculty. It is well known that a majority of the faculty do not like Fernandes.

That might be true but doesnt like 1/4th of them or 1/3rd of them WD right after Homecoming! (Which was pretty common during my Gallaudet days)

And yes Spring is usually smaller because most of them have to go to community college get their grades back up and then apply to readmit into Gallaudet.

Back