Gallaudet President Announced!!

Mookie said:
Are you missing something?

Jane Fernandes graduated from the high school as an oralist. She did not bother to learn the ASL until her late twenties. Of course, she has the same views that she have learnt from the audisms...

What do you think why Gally students want to protest....

That is harsh thing to say. I did not learn sign language until I was in late twenties too but it doesnt imply that I have an audist view. I think the students want to protest because Jane punished students for the football game incident and hotel incident, etc. Jane does not let anyone get away with anything. Of course, we will never know the entire story but I highly doubt that if Jane is truly an audist, she would not have lasted this long at Gallaudet. Her job performance is remarkable and that is what everyone should look at, not her background.

Gemtun said:
That is harsh thing to say. I did not learn sign language until I was in late twenties too but it doesnt imply that I have an audist view. I think the students want to protest because Jane punished students for the football game incident and hotel incident, etc. Jane does not let anyone get away with anything. Of course, we will never know the entire story but I highly doubt that if Jane is truly an audist, she would not have lasted this long at Gallaudet. Her job performance is remarkable and that is what everyone should look at, not her background.

What's next?

New Gally President with CI?

Mookie said:
Are you missing something?

Jane Fernandes graduated from the high school as an oralist. She did not bother to learn the ASL until her late twenties. Of course, she has the same views that she have learnt from the audisms...

What do you think why Gally students want to protest....

Mookie,
Are you saying that Fernandes isn't qualified to preside Gallaudet University because she didn't grow up speaking ASL and attended schools in a mainstreamed environment?

I am not surprised that oralism schools cheering for Jane Fernandes. New educational methods will be oral teaching on the Gally campus. They are gonna to work on Boycott ASL...

Mookie said:
I am not surprised that oralism schools cheering for Jane Fernandes. New educational methods will be oral teaching on the Gally campus. They are gonna to work on Boycott ASL...

Where does it say that oral schools are cheering for Jane? Where is the link that validates your silly opinion?

I personally don't care if she's deaf, Deaf or hard of hearing. Shouldn't we be more focused on the fact that there is a signing person as president again?

Some of you are complaining that she didn't learn to sign until her 20s and was raised orally. Point? In 1988 Gallaudet students protested against Zinser and wanted I. King Jordan to be president. Have we forgotten that he was hearing until he was 21?

I don't know enough about Jane to truly say one way or the other whether she is going to be a good president, but I'd urge you all to be optimistic about this decision. I have a feeling that protesting this decision will do nothing but cause problems and make a mockery of the events that occurred 18 years ago.

me_punctured said:
Mookie,
Are you saying that Fernandes isn't qualified to preside Gallaudet University because she didn't grow up speaking ASL and attended schools in a mainstreamed environment?

She needs to work at another university as a President. Not Gally....

Mookie said:
What's next?

Gallaudet, like many other universities, have to evolve over time. No school can remain the same - Remember the saying, the only contant is the change itself period.

ayala920 said:
I personally don't care if she's deaf, Deaf or hard of hearing. Shouldn't we be more focused on the fact that there is a signing person as president again?

Some of you are complaining that she didn't learn to sign until her 20s and was raised orally. Point? In 1988 Gallaudet students protested against Zinser and wanted I. King Jordan to be president. Have we forgotten that he was hearing until he was 21?

I don't know enough about Jane to truly say one way or the other whether she is going to be a good president, but I'd urge you all to be optimistic about this decision. I have a feeling that protesting this decision will do nothing but cause problems and make a mockery of the events that occurred 18 years ago.

I totally agree with you.

ayala920 said:

That's why there is no ADA era.

Mookie said:
What's next?

And so what if there is?

You all need to realize that now, more than ever, the Deaf community needs to unite and begin accepting people from diverse backgrounds. To imply that those with implants, those raised orally, or those who attended mainstream schools are not equally capable of representing the Deaf community are doing nothing but harming yourselves.

Am I saying that the next president should be oral? No, of course not! Having a signing deaf person is essential for the university. However, how they were raised should not in any way affect whether they're chosen. That should be left up to their credentials.

ayala920 said:
And so what if there is?

You all need to realize that now, more than ever, the Deaf community needs to unite and begin accepting people from diverse backgrounds. To imply that those with implants, those raised orally, or those who attended mainstream schools are not equally capable of representing the Deaf community are doing nothing but harming yourselves.

Am I saying that the next president should be oral? No, of course not! Having a signing deaf person is essential for the university. However, how they were raised should not in any way affect whether they're chosen. That should be left up to their credentials.

Name the Gally President who grew up all his/her life at the school for the deaf and has enrichment knowledge in deaf culture.

What does Jane Fernandes have her childhood? Spoken-Language

That's deafies wish for the deaf individual who grows up from the rich experience in deaf culture.

Too late. Too bad for deaf community.

That's my wish, too...

Mookie said:

And, once again, I point out that Gallaudet students rallied behind Jordan in 1988. A born hearing, late-deafened president was good enough in 1988, but not in 2006?

Mookie said:
Name the Gally President who grew up all his/her life at the school for the deaf and has enrichment knowledge in deaf culture.

That's deafies wish for the deaf individual who grows up from the rich experience in deaf culture.

Too late. Too bad for deaf community.

That's my wish, too...

So what about King I. Jordan??????? :dunno:

ayala920 said:
And so what if there is?

You will wait and watch how many rate of deaf students will descrease at Gally.

Mookie said:

You do realize that the majority of deaf people (or at least from my generation) have not attended deaf institutions for the entire duration of their schooling years. It is even more uncommon, if not rare and exceptional, for deafies to obtain a Ph.D, an academic doctorate.

me_punctured said:
You do realize that the majority of deaf people (or at least from my generation) have not attended deaf institutions for the entire duration of their schooling years. It is even more uncommon, if not rare and exceptional, for deafies to obtain a Ph.D, an academic doctorate.

258, you clearly have not take any deaf history course...

Mookie said:
Like I said earlier, there is no ADA era.

You said " is " ....you are implying that we still have no ADA era or do you mean that we didnt have ADA back then when they picked Jordan? :dunno:

I dont think this boils down whether Jane is deaf, hearing or HOH or what kind of background she has - it boils down to WHO CAN LEAD GALLAUDET these days, both academically and business.

Attendance has dropped down in last several years so it has nothing to do with seeing even more dropping because Jane is in the office now.

Back