Gallaudet President Announced!!

Allright, I have spoke with one of Board of Director (they don't vote president). He gave me the one simple source that Board of Trusters (BoT) have done the WRONG thing. They ignore students and took haste to vote on Jane. Student Committee said that three committee of BoT have vote twice.

Before King Jordan announcement to resign, mostly Gally students never like Jane all along. BoT didn't realize that most people have problem with Jane in past

So, they deserve to get vote in right way. All BoT should be fired and replace new right people to fit for Gally.

Hope this answer your question to why she said she was white.
Washington, D.C.: There has been some criticism of you because you were the only white candidate and that you were chosen. Fernandes is a Latino name so I'm curious about the validity of this criticism. Or is this your married name? Please elaborate on this issue if you may.

Jane K. Fernandes: All three of the finalists were white. My full name is Jane Kelleher Fernandes. Fernandes is my husband's last name. His family is Portuguese from Hawaii. I am from an Irish family.
Youse can see about that, click on the link provided by Y in her #141 post...

Brian said:
Hope this answer your question to why she said she was white.Youse can see about that, click on the link provided by Y in her #141 post...
I read her reply, but she still doesn't really say why she felt it was necessary to include her color in her bio. It seems unprofessional at the very least.

I'm hoping me_punctured will come on the boards soon. She has a very good theory on why Fernandes mentioned that she was white.

Reba said:
I read her reply, but she still doesn't really say why she felt it was necessary to include her color in her bio. It seems unprofessional at the very least.

Yeah I agree. However, she felt that she must inform Gally employers (IJK and BOT) that she from the Irish family is using her marriage name of Portuguese

Mookie said:
Yeah I agree. However, she felt that she must inform Gally employers (IJK and BOT) that she from the Irish family is using her marriage name of Portuguese
?Yes but why would she care if someone mistakes her heritage because of her name? Does she think that everyone is racist. And one could argue that if she does it for that reason, then she is a racist. My gut feeling on this one is that she is a racist. I could be wrong but it sure seems that way on the surface.

rockdrummer said:
?Yes but why would she care if someone mistakes her heritage because of her name? Does she think that everyone is racist. And one could argue that if she does it for that reason, then she is a racist. My gut feeling on this one is that she is a racist. I could be wrong but it sure seems that way on the surface.

BOT may not want to hire her becasue of her name? She is so smart to input her color/heritage background...

Maybe some of BOT are racists :dunno:

Next time, I will write a cover letter to the big firm for the highest paid postion.

There has been some criticism of you because you were the only white candidate and that you were chosen. Fernandes is a Latino name so I'm curious about the validity of this criticism. Or is this your married name? Please elaborate on this issue if you may.

Jane K. Fernandes: All three of the finalists were white. My full name is Jane Kelleher Fernandes. Fernandes is my husband's last name. His family is Portuguese from Hawaii. I am from an Irish family.
BTW, Portuguese people are not Latino or Hispanic. They are "Lusófonos".

http://www.angelfire.com/country/portugal/

Obrigado! :)

Mookie said:
BOT may not want to hire her becasue of her name? She is so smart to input her color/heritage background...Maybe some of BOT are racists :dunno: Next time, I will write a cover letter to the big firm for the highest paid postion.

Excellent point. I had not considered that.

Mookie said:
Yeah, right. Did you know there are lots of deafies with Phd. I smell something not right Gally BOT selection process...

Mookie,

The highest degree is the scholarly academic doctorate (only PhD). Professional Doctorates (DBA - Doctor of Business Administration, MD- Doctor of Medicine, SJD - Doctor of Juridicial Science, PharmD - Doctor of Pharmacy, etc. etc. etc.) are not as highly ranked as the academic doctorate.

Jane Fernandes is the only candidate of the three with an academic doctorate. Fernandes has a PhD.

Stephen Weiner has an EdD, which is NOT an academic doctorate. The EdD is a "Doctor of Education" degree and it is below a PhD.

Ron Stern, who I like personally and respect, does not have a comparable degree (he does have a graduate degree). He will not finish any official postdoctoral work by the time of I. King Jordan's resignation. Furthemore, Stern is pursuing an EdD, and not a PhD.

I think all three are fine people. I just wish the candidates the BOT picked for the top three finalists all had PhDs. If all three finalists had PhDs, it would make the selection a lot more relevant to the university. Maybe we would have ended up with someone else than Fernandes too.

I don't really care that much who wins. I just hope that the person who is the president will help Gallaudet into the future.

Excuse me - this is off subject - Does George Bush Jr, the president, ever received a PhD???

webexplorer said:
Excuse me - this is off subject - Does George Bush Jr, the president, ever received a PhD???

Huh! President Bush was voted by the people and those presidents at other universities in the USA are not elected by students or staffs. Therefore in my opinion, it applies to Gallaudet University too.

Interesting here.

Congratulation to her

I like to see her stay there as a president at Gally. It is rare for any deaf woman to be a leader and I am glad she got the job.

My problem with those deaf people who are against her, if major of deaf who are protesting against her are DOHA then they have no right to say things about her because she is DODA.

The highest degree is the scholarly academic doctorate (only PhD). Professional Doctorates (DBA - Doctor of Business Administration, MD- Doctor of Medicine, SJD - Doctor of Juridicial Science, PharmD - Doctor of Pharmacy, etc. etc. etc.) are not as highly ranked as the academic doctorate.

I don't see how you can argue this. Doctorates are doctorates -- you've got to study for them all. Having a Ph.D doesn't make you any smarter or higher than another doctorate. You're still an expert in your field. Maybe some silly socialites state that "Ph.D's are way better than being an M.D.," but those people are probably those who paid with their rich daddy's money for their degree instead of earning it.

Dennis said:
I don't see how you can argue this. Doctorates are doctorates -- you've got to study for them all. Having a Ph.D doesn't make you any smarter or higher than another doctorate. You're still an expert in your field. Maybe some silly socialites state that "Ph.D's are way better than being an M.D.," but those people are probably those who paid with their rich daddy's money for their degree instead of earning it.

Actually, it's more complicated than that. There is a difference between the academic and the professional doctorate because each designates a different set of responsibilities and roles.

Universities are actually themselves symbiotic organisms. You have the university proper (usually the Arts & Sciences School or the school that awards the BA, MA, PhD and like degrees), and then you have vocational schools attached to the university (School of Business, School of Law, etc). These vocational schools confer degrees that are designed for professional application and are not of the major academic disciplines emphasized in the university proper.

The university awards academic doctorates. Vocational schools attached to the university award professional doctorates. There is also a separate ranking for different types of vocational doctorates (level 1, 2, 3 -- an Ed.D. by the way, is level 3) because vocational doctoral-level degrees vary from one another.

When you have an academic doctorate, you have been awarded the degree through the university's graduate academic process, which is at the crux of the university itself. Vocational schools are on the fringes of the university. See where I'm going with this?

When you have an academic doctorate, you have gone through the core of the university and not through the ancillary programs. There are a number of limitations on the professional doctorate that do not apply to the academic doctorate.

I'll give you the most important limitation: assuming administrative academic roles. The university president is an administrative academic role and is open to academic doctoral recipients.

There are some exceptions to the limitations of a vocational/professional doctorate, and that can actually apply to Gallaudet's situation, however. I still think that someone who has gone through the formal university process may be more qualified in understanding of the operations of the university than someone who goes through the ancillary processes.

The difference, however, is that being Gallaudet president is so much more than just being some university president. When you're the president of Gallaudet, you're also a cultural icon, and I think that's what this is about. If Ron Stern or Stephen Weiner is really the better candidate, then I'm going to to go with them.

Right now I think I'm just going to have no opinion and say whoever is best is best.

Last edited:
Reba said:
BTW, Portuguese people are not Latino or Hispanic. They are "Lusófonos".

http://www.angelfire.com/country/portugal/

Obrigado! :)

:topic:

Useless trivia fact for the day: Lusitania was the name of the region given to Portugal by the Romans. It's also the name of a VERY famous ship that was destroyed by the Germans in World War I.

:now back to your regularly-scheduled flame-wars:

Back