Gallaudet at risk of losing accreditation

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The nation's only liberal arts university for the deaf could lose its accreditation unless it addresses concerns about weak academic standards, ineffective governance and a lack of tolerance for diverse views, an education oversight group warned.

Gallaudet University was rocked by student demonstrations last fall that shut down the university for several days and forced the board to revoke the appointment of a new president.

Afterward, the Middle States Commission on Higher Education said it was delaying a decision on whether to renew the school's accreditation because of concerns raised during the protests and because of a 2005 federal report that rated Gallaudet "ineffective." The federal Office of Management of Budget this month gave Gallaudet an improved evaluation, to "adequate."

A letter from the commission, dated Jan. 13 and disclosed this week, summarized the issues the university must address to retain its accreditation. Commission Vice President Linda A. Suskie said the fall protests raise questions about the university's governance and whether the board is out of touch.

University spokeswoman Mercy Coogan said interim president Robert Davila had shared the letter with campus leaders, who were addressing its concerns. The university must submit a supplemental report by March 1, and further action is likely at the commission's next meeting in June.

Protests over the selection of Jane Fernandes as president shut down the campus at times before her appointment was revoked in October. Some protesters accused campus police of using excessive force.

"The extent of the fall protests and repeated allegations of violence and intimidation raise grave concerns" about whether the university fosters respect for different views, Suskie wrote.

Reached by e-mail Wednesday, Suskie declined to comment, citing commission policy.

Gallaudet receives more than $100 million annually from the federal government. Its graduation rates have consistently been below 50 percent.

Seeking accreditation by any of the dozens of private accrediting agencies recognized by the government is voluntary. But accreditation signals that a school meets certain basic standards and is required for students to be eligible for federal financial aid.

Commission: Gallaudet at risk of losing accreditation - CNN.com

Someone else posted this earlier in this thread.

I believe it has something to do with the so-called protest at Gallaudet.

I strongly believe that the academic standards at that college is a big joke.

MOD's NOTE: I merged these two threads together, since they are about the same subject.

Now back to this topic - This was bound to happen, and frankly, I'm not surprised, either.

Well, it does show one thing: The report vindicates the student protest and shines the light where it really belongs: At the Board and IKJ and the successor he attempted to install......

Oh well.

Hopefully, this warning will help Gallaudet improve. Have to wait and see.

It happened with protest but would get better in next fall 2007 or so.

The Gally protest brought up all those issues into the public and its time to clean up Gally's act.

That's one problem theyre facing. But the real uproar going on is over a postcard sent out to people to buy a brick for the SLCC. This one is even hotter!

Richard

Not .... surprised .... at ... all.

I knew a few deafies from Indiana that withdrew from Gally. In my really humble opinion, Gally has too much "deaf power" that the hearing community probably don't give a fuck about.

I'm glad I didn't join that university or RIT in the first place; those 2 are the very LAST places I'd go ..... from beyond the grave.

I'm not surprised either. I used to be disappointed with friends who dropped out of mainstream universities so they could attend Gallaudet. It's a social thing I would think. When I went to BU, my first year was horrible. I felt so lonely, but I joined more clubs and did more activities and my social life improved. I have to admit, during those periods when I felt so lonely, I thought about dropping out and going to Gallaudet. Good thing I stayed at BU.

I have to agree with the "deaf power" comment. When I was reading the blogs about the protest, I noticed many of those blogs (and even the comments on DeafDC.com) were criticising Jane's learning sign language late in life!

That clouded any meaningful argument about why JKF was not qualified for the position. People such as myself (cue/oral, might learn sign at 25 if I get my arse about), saw it as an attack directed towards us. Ridor is an excellent example of those kind of attacks.

I did go to DeafDC.com for better discussions. There were many commentators trying to frame why JKF was not qualified but I read the comments of each entry and they kept harping on about her ASL usage and her late entry into the ASL world.

I wouldn't feel welcome at Gallaudet.

I really do think they should change that mindset at Gallaudet and accept ANY deaf people. They used to have the Cued Speech Center there (closed down when Gallaudet became "University"), we raised enough money to try to name a room after the founder of CS at the building where the CS Center used to be. Gallaudet refused our request.

Another problem at Gallaudet is the fact that the students want professors to learn sign language. That was an issue that was continuously raised on the message boards. As a result there'd be excellent professors who were inadequate signers. I even went as far to suggest, "Why not get a really good ASL translator to stand along side the professor? or even CART in lecture halls (they do this at Gallaudet, right?)?"

The response would be, "No. The professors MUST sign in class. I don't want a ASL translator standing alongside him."

Sure, outside the classroom during individual discussions with the professor (he can set the pace of his sign prowess), I can see that. But in class? That's iffy. I can see why the graduation rate is so low.

That's one of many elements at Gallaudet that needs to be changed, the mindset that ALL professors must sign in class. I'm sure there's many more issues as to why Gallaudet isn't successful, but I think the professors-are-bad-signers is one of the big problems.

They are protesting because they do not want a hearing president...?

Wow...that's...stupid.

In a sense, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Why would they want to hurt themselves like that? If she's hearing but is willing to learn sign language and is also a good president why is it a bad thing? I would rather take good hearing president over possible of bad deaf president any day. I do not mean all deaf will be a bad president, but if there's good one out there right now then we should take em, instead of fighting against because of who they are.

That's like a reverse (sp?) discrimination.

Good thing I never went to that university, I will probably never fit in...because I love both worlds too much to be on one side. Why can't they accept each other and work together instead of fighting against each other?

*shrugs*

Back