Funniest thing an uneducated person has said to you?

I'm not insulted. :) In fact, everything you've said above is true. In my case, people can't tell that I'm blind because my eyes look normal. The only exception to this is that I have nystagmus (where my eyes move from side to side and up and down involuntarily). As for focusing on an empty space where there is no object, I was taught at an early age to look in the direction of the person I'm speaking to. That may also be a reason why I don't look blind.

hhmm... why not wear sunglasses? :cool2:

Actually, I do wear sunglasses to protect my eyes from overhanging branches and other objects. :)

interesting. for some odd reason - i've always thought that they close their eyes most of time but I suppose it does make you tired to keep them closed.

interesting. for some odd reason - i've always thought that they close their eyes most of time but I suppose it does make you tired to keep them closed.

To be honest, I don't know if most blind people keep their eyes closed all the time. :dunno: The exception to this might be people with albinism (pale skin, white hair and extreme sensitivity to light). One of my best friends is albino and although she wore thick glasses, she always closed her eyes when she was outdoors in the sun.

To be honest, I don't know if most blind people keep their eyes closed all the time. :dunno: The exception to this might be people with albinism (pale skin, white hair and extreme sensitivity to light). One of my best friends is albino and although she wore thick glasses, she always closed her eyes when she was outdoors in the sun.

ah-ha... interesting. another thing I learn about blind people :ty:

a hearing teacher to another

i hate that ignorant boy, he is so arrogant and always has ear phones with him even during calss time......
ear phone are what the hearing aids were refered as and she thot that the Deaf boy was always listening to music

lol

a hearing teacher to another

i hate that ignorant boy, he is so arrogant and always has ear phones with him even during calss time......
ear phone are what the hearing aids were refered as and she thot that the Deaf boy was always listening to music

lol

I've had this from another angle. People assume too much. They cast judgement before they have all the facts, never giving the benefit of the doubt. I have a problem with my eyes where they pick up certain kinds of light and amplify it, causing it to heat up my eyes and damage the tissue. I have special glasses that block the offending spectrum, and I have to wear them whenever my eyes are open. In the old days, the glasses used to look dark, and so people used to think I was wearing sun glasses. Now days, technology has improved, and my glasses look clear like normal prescription glasses. When I had the dark ones, I always had to explain myself until they invented them in contact lenses, and I got those. Made my eyes look purple or very dark blue, but at least nobody accused me of wearing sun glasses in a lecture hall that way.

I'm not insulted. :) In fact, everything you've said above is true. In my case, people can't tell that I'm blind because my eyes look normal. The only exception to this is that I have nystagmus (where my eyes move from side to side and up and down involuntarily). As for focusing on an empty space where there is no object, I was taught at an early age to look in the direction of the person I'm speaking to. That may also be a reason why I don't look blind.

I had a roommate many years ago that had RP. When she would talk to people, she would turn her head to line them into her peripheral vision. It was amazing how many people would then adjust their position so that they were facing her head on. She would then be forced to turn her head again to catch them in her peripheral vision. Sometimes it would seem that the poor girl's head was going to fall off from constantly having to readjust! People that didn't know her well would just assume that she could not locate them because she would turn to them from the side.

I had a roommate many years ago that had RP. When she would talk to people, she would turn her head to line them into her peripheral vision. It was amazing how many people would then adjust their position so that they were facing her head on. She would then be forced to turn her head again to catch them in her peripheral vision. Sometimes it would seem that the poor girl's head was going to fall off from constantly having to readjust! People that didn't know her well would just assume that she could not locate them because she would turn to them from the side.

This is what I struggle with now.

Catching people when they sign in my peripheral vision and I do wear sunglasses to protect my eyes from the low branches and anything that can damage my eyes. I wear fitovers (sunglasses that fits over your glasses) to protect them from the sun as well.

It was really interesting when some Deaf people would ask me ignorant questions like "How do I know when to stop wiping my behind after number 2?"

That one really startled me because you just know. Others would ask me how other DBs identified themselves, we identify by tactiling our names. I do with my DB friends, we are very tight-knit with each other and meet on a weekly basis.

My hubby, poor him, he does see me get irritated at really ignorant people when they ask questions like "Do you drive?" I show my cane and ask "Blind people drive with their cane?!" especially when they see me walking in the building with the cane and feeling the wall with my other hand.

Hear Again brought up an excellent myth that quite a bit of people do think that low vision, blind and DB people do.. wave their arms around the surroundings. We don't.

Just so many myths about blindness - back then blind people's eyes had to be covered because they were viewed to be unattractive. Just so sad how much abuse blind people put up with and now we have so much change.

Beautiful, enlightening and empowering thread! Kudos!!

Catching people when they sign in my peripheral vision and I do wear sunglasses to protect my eyes from the low branches and anything that can damage my eyes. I wear fitovers (sunglasses that fits over your glasses) to protect them from the sun as well.

It was really interesting when some Deaf people would ask me ignorant questions like "How do I know when to stop wiping my behind after number 2?"

That one really startled me because you just know. Others would ask me how other DBs identified themselves, we identify by tactiling our names. I do with my DB friends, we are very tight-knit with each other and meet on a weekly basis.

My hubby, poor him, he does see me get irritated at really ignorant people when they ask questions like "Do you drive?" I show my cane and ask "Blind people drive with their cane?!" especially when they see me walking in the building with the cane and feeling the wall with my other hand.

Hear Again brought up an excellent myth that quite a bit of people do think that low vision, blind and DB people do.. wave their arms around the surroundings. We don't.

Just so many myths about blindness - back then blind people's eyes had to be covered because they were viewed to be unattractive. Just so sad how much abuse blind people put up with and now we have so much change.

We also have a woman with severe glaucoma in our PhD cohort. She does very well in lighted areas, but cannot see at all in darker areas. She disclosed this to everyone right up front when we all met. I noticed that when leaving the building after sundown, several well meaning people would grab her arm and attempt to lead her. After witnessing this a couple of times, I finally started approaching her, stand slightly to her left, and ask her if she needed assistance. She would then place her hand on my right arm, and we would walk to the car. The others finally got the message.:giggle:

"Are you staring at my lip"? because he thought I want to kiss him. :giggle: No, I was just practice lipreading. I'm hoh, it's hard to understand lipreading when he or she talks too fast. I remember someone Ddeaf who could read lipreading very well. That's amazing.

"Is that a radio you listening to"? My hearing aids, few people asked me that. :roll: :lol:

"Can you hear me"? He/She talks so loud like yelling, Whoa!. I don't like loudmouth. I turned my HAs off.

People used to ask if my HAs were radios, but I thought they were joking! Now I wonder if they were serious :hmm:

We also have a woman with severe glaucoma in our PhD cohort. She does very well in lighted areas, but cannot see at all in darker areas. She disclosed this to everyone right up front when we all met. I noticed that when leaving the building after sundown, several well meaning people would grab her arm and attempt to lead her. After witnessing this a couple of times, I finally started approaching her, stand slightly to her left, and ask her if she needed assistance. She would then place her hand on my right arm, and we would walk to the car. The others finally got the message.:giggle:

Jillio,

That was the correct way to approach the situation. One thing I can't stand are sighted-hearing people who grab my arm. My first instinct is to swing at them as a way of protecting myself since I don't know what their motives are. Another thing I don't like is when people grab my guide dog's harness handle and try to drag her in a certain direction. Fortunately, most sighted-hearing people I come across are willing to change their negative behavior once I politely explain my needs.

Wow! If anyone had asked me that, I would have been dumbfounded!

You're exactly right, Mrs. Bucket. The deafblind community is quite small which makes it like family in many ways. In my area, DBPs (deafblind persons) identify themselves by tactile name signs. If a person doesn't have a name sign, one is given to them and/or they fingerspell their name. The deafblind group I spend time with meets on a monthly basis.

I've been asked the same question. In fact, I'll never forget the time when a grocery store cashier asked me, "May I carry these bags out to your car for you?" I was like, "Ummm. I don't drive. I'm blind." :roll:

I agree. So much has changed for the better. At least the general public has become more open-minded nowadays and children are introduced to people with disabilities through diversity programs in their school. That's something we didn't have when I was a child.

i

I knew a woman at my local deafblind center who had RP and encountered the same problem. It frustrated her to no end when people would constantly move from one place to another forcing her to readjust her line of vision. After experiencing the same frustration time and time again, she began to request (through written notes or sign) that people wait for her to position herself so she could see before a conversation even started.

My doctor wrote to me that if I begin to notice hearing loss, that I should call him immediately. Now why did he say that? I was delusional, just woke up from surgery. But he knew already that I'm totally deaf. Now that I'm starting to wake up more, I think maybe he was joking, but that's a weird thing to say to a deaf person who just woke up from surgery :giggle:

My doctor wrote to me that if I begin to notice hearing loss, that I should call him immediately. Now why did he say that? I was delusional, just woke up from surgery. But he knew already that I'm totally deaf. Now that I'm starting to wake up more, I think maybe he was joking, but that's a weird thing to say to a deaf person who just woke up from surgery :giggle:

bwahahaha!!

i went into the apple store to get my iPod fixed and the assistant asked, "so why do you need an iPod?"

i responded, "to play Solitaire and stare at song titles."

Obviously he wasn't thinking, was he? :giggle:

Back