Funniest thing an uneducated person has said to you?

Daredevel7

Adrenaline Junky
Premium Member
Reaction score
We've heard the meanest things people say to us, now what is the funniest thing a person has said to you because of a lack of knowledge/not experienced with deaf people/has only one image of a deaf person?

A few examples:
"Oh, so you're deaf.. can you read?"
"Read? as in reading lips?"
"No no like reading books"
"Im deaf... not blind."
(Don't mean to imply that blind people can't read but... did he think that my ability to look at words on paper is somehow affected by the fact I can't hear?)

"So what's the sign for ___?"
"Oh I'm sorry, I don't know much sign language."
"But you're deaf."
"Yes."
"Its not possible for you to not know sign language. you MUST hear something."
"Well I do hear some with the hearing aids, but it's not well enou-"
"AH HA! So you DO hear, so you're not that deaf. You must be like halfway."
"Um..."*pats on shoulder*"

Sometimes I get the impression that some people think I'm faking my degree of deafness. I crack up about that.

And my favorite:
"So you can't hear high pitch? Can you hear this??" *starts squeaking like a parrot* (This is not really from an uneducated person, just testing out what I can hear, but its so funny to watch guys try to squeak in a high pitch)

We all make fun of each other so I have heard it all. But it isn't like i never dish it back to everyone! LOL

I had this one said to me. "What's the hearing aids for?" :roll:

I had this one said to me. "What's the hearing aids for?" :roll:

I am Secret Service.... the G-Man.... or "I work for Google... this is prototype cell phone."

"How can deaf people drive?"

"Can deaf people have sex?"

"Can you read Brialle?"

Those are just a few of the stupidest questions I have ever had been asked in my life.

One thing I hate the most is I kept hearing anyone especially my ex-boss kept asking me if I was born hearing first before becoming deaf. I kept saying no.

Ex-boss called out to me while I was walking down.

Ex-boss: "You can hear me calling you."

Me: "Yeah? So? What do you want?"

Ex-boss: "I still don't understand how can you talk so well. Are you sure you were born deaf?"

Me: "For the last time, YES, I was born deaf. How many times do I keep telling you until you get an idea?"

Ex-boss: "Well, I can't help thinking that you were really born hearing because how well you talk."

Me: "Oh boy, I told you that I went to oral school and received 15 years of speech shit. Got that?"

Ex-boss: "Okay but how come do "L, C, B and B" can't talk like you? Even they can't write in good English grammar and whatnot? I thought you all guys are the same."

"L, C, B and B" were also deaf workers on the various of shifts. Except one who went to same school as mine however he talked pretty okay though, three went to the different deaf schools.

Me: "Look, Simon, except "B" who went to the same school, the three others went to different schools which didn't provide the speech therapy. As for "B", all oral kids are different from each other because some could learn how to talk and some couldn't. Ok?"

Ex-boss: "Ok, let me get this straight. You went to oral school with "B" but you learned how to talk while "B" talks so-so, right? But why couldn't he talk like you?"

Me: "Each kid learn fast or slow. Just like hearing kids learn their subjects in a different way. For example, one hearing kid is good at Math while other fails at Math but is good at history. It's same thing as deaf kids. So anyway, let's get back to what you want me to do?"

Ex-boss: "Ok, I see. I'd like to know if you're available to stay here at 1 am so you can interpret for one deaf worker who'll come on her shift. Please I need you to stay to do an interpreting for her boss."

Me: "WTF? No! I'm not the friggin' interpreter! I'm going to bail out at 12:30 am, that's that. The boss and "C" can write back and forth like before."

Ex-boss: "But....but..."C" always misunderstands the writing all the time. The boss always uses "L" to interpret for them but "L" is out sick. So you have to stay and do that. That's an order."

Me: "Fuck....fuck this. You ordered me? Damn, that's not right. If they want me to interpret, they have to pay me."

Ex-boss: "I'm sorry but I have to make sure you stay until third shift boss shows up. Ok, get back to work."

He walked off. I threw my hands up in air and flipped my birdie at his back while other workers laughed and rooted for me. They heard the whole thing and thought he was so dumb.

Ick...yes I ended up interpreting for them twice. But after that, I kept sneaking away quickly before they caught up with me all the time. That pissed me off a big time. Honestly I have no problem to interpret but the problem is how to get the point across other deaf worker with slangs the third shift boss liked to use all the time. At one point that caused some misunderstood on the certain slang. She said while I interpreted, "Look, "C", if I tell you to jump off the bridge, would you jump off the bridge?" "C" replied "Why you want me jump off bridge? What for?" (that's her exact sign reply) Her boss said "No, no, I mean would you jump off the bridge if they told you to?" "C" hollered "WHAT? you crazy lady. Me jump off bridge. For what? Why?" Her boss looked at me and told me to explain that in simple way. I rolled my eyes and explained it to her in a different example. It took her five more minutes to understand. Geez, over this one slang, it took her ten minutes to understand. I told her boss that she can't use the slangs anymore. But nooo, she'd still use it. Oh please! That's why I kept avoiding her everytime I was at the clock while she looked for me after hearing from other workers that she's looking for me. I'd quickly rushed to punch out and ran like there is no tomorrow. Sheesh......

A few times I drove to work, some of co workers looked at me as I came out of my car. They looked shocked. I asked them what's wrong? Is it my car? They said, "You can drive?!?" I said "WTF?" They said they thought deaf can't drive. I rolled my eyes and left. Oh boy.....of course they asked me several questions about deaf's driving skills due to not able to hear the horns, sirens and whatnot. I told them some wear hearing aids and some are very alert to the surrounds.

I have more stories but you get an idea.

"how can deaf people drive?"
with our eyes closed shut. That way we can use our ears.

"can deaf people have sex?"
we have parts used for sex. I'd like to show you.

"can you read brialle?"
of course i can read the bible, what? Bria... What?! I dunno.

those are just a few of the stupidest questions i have ever had been asked in my life.

wee!

One thing I hate the most is I kept hearing anyone especially my ex-boss kept asking me if I was born hearing first before becoming deaf. I kept saying no.

Ex-boss called out to me while I was walking down.

Ex-boss: "You can hear me calling you."

Me: "Yeah? So? What do you want?"

Ex-boss: "I still don't understand how can you talk so well. Are you sure you were born deaf?"

Me: "For the last time, YES, I was born deaf. How many times do I keep telling you until you get an idea?"

Ex-boss: "Well, I can't help thinking that you were really born hearing because how well you talk."

Me: "Oh boy, I told you that I went to oral school and received 15 years of speech shit. Got that?"

Ex-boss: "Okay but how come do "L, C, B and B" can't talk like you? Even they can't write in good English grammar and whatnot? I thought you all guys are the same."

"L, C, B and B" were also deaf workers on the various of shifts. Except one who went to same school as mine however he talked pretty okay though, three went to the different deaf schools.

Me: "Look, Simon, except "B" who went to the same school, the three others went to different schools which didn't provide the speech therapy. As for "B", all oral kids are different from each other because some could learn how to talk and some couldn't. Ok?"

Ex-boss: "Ok, let me get this straight. You went to oral school with "B" but you learned how to talk while "B" talks so-so, right? But why couldn't he talk like you?"

Me: "Each kid learn fast or slow. Just like hearing kids learn their subjects in a different way. For example, one hearing kid is good at Math while other fails at Math but is good at history. It's same thing as deaf kids. So anyway, let's get back to what you want me to do?"

Ex-boss: "Ok, I see. I'd like to know if you're available to stay here at 1 am so you can interpret for one deaf worker who'll come on her shift. Please I need you to stay to do an interpreting for her boss."

Me: "WTF? No! I'm not the friggin' interpreter! I'm going to bail out at 12:30 am, that's that. The boss and "C" can write back and forth like before."

Ex-boss: "But....but..."C" always misunderstands the writing all the time. The boss always uses "L" to interpret for them but "L" is out sick. So you have to stay and do that. That's an order."

Me: "Fuck....fuck this. You ordered me? Damn, that's not right. If they want me to interpret, they have to pay me."

Ex-boss: "I'm sorry but I have to make sure you stay until third shift boss shows up. Ok, get back to work."

He walked off. I threw my hands up in air and flipped my birdie at his back while other workers laughed and rooted for me. They heard the whole thing and thought he was so dumb.

Ick...yes I ended up interpreting for them twice. But after that, I kept sneaking away quickly before they caught up with me all the time. That pissed me off a big time. Honestly I have no problem to interpret but the problem is how to get the point across other deaf worker with slangs the third shift boss liked to use all the time. At one point that caused some misunderstood on the certain slang. She said while I interpreted, "Look, "C", if I tell you to jump off the bridge, would you jump off the bridge?" "C" replied "Why you want me jump off bridge? What for?" (that's her exact sign reply) Her boss said "No, no, I mean would you jump off the bridge if they told you to?" "C" hollered "WHAT? you crazy lady. Me jump off bridge. For what? Why?" Her boss looked at me and told me to explain that in simple way. I rolled my eyes and explained it to her in a different example. It took her five more minutes to understand. Geez, over this one slang, it took her ten minutes to understand. I told her boss that she can't use the slangs anymore. But nooo, she'd still use it. Oh please! That's why I kept avoiding her everytime I was at the clock while she looked for me after hearing from other workers that she's looking for me. I'd quickly rushed to punch out and ran like there is no tomorrow. Sheesh......

A few times I drove to work, some of co workers looked at me as I came out of my car. They looked shocked. I asked them what's wrong? Is it my car? They said, "You can drive?!?" I said "WTF?" They said they thought deaf can't drive. I rolled my eyes and left. Oh boy.....of course they asked me several questions about deaf's driving skills due to not able to hear the horns, sirens and whatnot. I told them some wear hearing aids and some are very alert to the surrounds.

I have more stories but you get an idea.

I can imagine and I feel for u.

It pisses me off royally when people put me on a pedestal and compare other deaf people to me. That's why I refuse to use my voice during IEP meetings with the parents cuz one time, I did and one parent made the whole IEP meeting about my oral skills and kept asking me why her son couldnt learn to speak like me. It took every bit of control not to scream and say "STOP!!!!" Since then, I refused to use my voice. LOL!

I have had that thrown at me when it comes to my deaf brother. "Why cant your brother talk like you?" "Is your brother dumb because he cant talk?" I tell them, yes, my brother is so dumb which is why he is going for his Master's at a highly accredidated private college. :roll:

I have had that thrown at me when it comes to my deaf brother. "Why cant your brother talk like you?" "Is your brother dumb because he cant talk?" I tell them, yes, my brother is so dumb which is why he is going for his Master's at a highly accredidated private college. :roll:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: I can imagine hearing people to be :eek3: - "omg! you know how to be sarcastic???" :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: oh those people.... :roll:

I'm constantly amazed at how many people are always so shocked that I haven't had my driver license taken away because I'm deaf.

Several people in just the past few weeks have suddenly started whipping their hands around with meaningless gestureless fake signing chaos while speaking to me. They figured that would be a funny way of telling me they don't know any sign language.

1. A guy writing a ntoe then hand it to me,

"Can you read and write"

2. A homeless guy in bathroom handed note to me, "I am poor deaf and dumb. Please help me." I signed to him. He looked at me with a wide eyes and ran away.

1. A guy writing a ntoe then hand it to me,

"Can you read and write"

2. A homeless guy in bathroom handed note to me, "I am poor deaf and dumb. Please help me." I signed to him. He looked at me with a wide eyes and ran away.

ROFL!! Do you mind if I ask what you said? Just out of curiosity .. not that I think he understood you :giggle:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: I can imagine hearing people to be :eek3: - "omg! you know how to be sarcastic???" :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: oh those people.... :roll:

Yep, my sarcastic personality was developed due to encountering so many ignorant comments, beliefs, people, and etch.

I'm constantly amazed at how many people are always so shocked that I haven't had my driver license taken away because I'm deaf.

Several people in just the past few weeks have suddenly started whipping their hands around with meaningless gestureless fake signing chaos while speaking to me. They figured that would be a funny way of telling me they don't know any sign language.[/QUOTE]

Did you tell them that was disrespectful?

This is funny... because I do that to homeless people. I pretend to know only sign to get them away from me. It works perfectly because they just go "Ug..." and walk away, but one guy actually yelled out and held up 3 fingers in the air "THREE DOLLARS! ME! THREE DOLLARS!"

and wtf? three dollars?! Isnt that kind of a lot?!

Back