Funniest thing an uneducated person has said to you?

Ex-boss: "Okay but how come do "L, C, B and B" can't talk like you? Even they can't write in good English grammar and whatnot? I thought you all guys are the same."

I really hate that comparsion.
Next time that happened, just say "So-and-so (a CODA) can sign so why can't you sign????"

My former sister-in-law said "You drive!?". No wonder, I didn't really like her ever.

It doesn't seem to matter how many people tell my brother in law I'm deaf, he keeps leaving messages on my voicemail. I'm not gonna ask anybody to listen to them for me either. If he wants to communicate with me, he's gonna have to use his brain. I know he has one because he sometimes uses it.

haha this cracks me up
I remember one time i was telling a friend of mine i wanted to learn sign language.. and she was like OO so you're gonna teach the blind?
i looked and laughing along by myself... i said YES FRIEND IM GONNA TEACH SIGN TO THE BLIND!
hahaha sorry i had to add that
later on she realized deaf people signed also :P

Did he use the hearing 3 sign that looks like 6?

Wow! Good question! Hearing non-signers and deaf and hearing signers do indicate "3" differently. That would have been a red flag!

6 sign = the number 3 (palm facing at you) in auslan ;)

Yeah, Buffalo. I had someone who asked me that question too, Do you drive?? How can you hear the sirens??

I'm like "well deaf people aren't blind, if they see cars move aside for some reason, they would know to look in their mirrors to see if an ambulance or police is coming, and during the night, sirens are bright and we will definitely notice it." Duh!! :lol:

For the number "3", we use the first two forefingers and the thumb, not the first three forefingers!

Yep yet it's in ASL! Interesting about ASLAN's "3" fingerspell.

I believe it was changed in the past due to a confusion with a "w" fingerspell and a "3" fingerspell.

Yep yet it's in ASL! Interesting about ASLAN's "3" fingerspell.

I believe it was changed in the past due to a confusion with a "w" fingerspell and a "3" fingerspell.

Oic, about why it was changed. Personally, I have never had a problem with those sort of things because the differences are discerned from within the context of the conversation.:P

Oic, about why it was changed. Personally, I have never had a problem with those sort of things because the differences are discerned from within the context of the conversation.:P

True so sometime depending on the context of the conservation like you said.

But however, it would certainly be good about the change to prevent the confusion.

I have had that thrown at me when it comes to my deaf brother. "Why cant your brother talk like you?" "Is your brother dumb because he cant talk?" I tell them, yes, my brother is so dumb which is why he is going for his Master's at a highly accredidated private college. :roll:

Would have loved to see their expression :laugh2:

Anyway, when I was a child on the train. One guy spotted my HA's and went up to me or my mother's ex bf, can't remember who, and asked 'what's the ...... footy team's score?'

Huh?

Turns out he thought my HA's was a radio. :lol:

I remember when someone approached me and asked me about something. Since I wasn't paying attention, her suddenly talking to me made me miss the beginning. So, I asked her to repeat what she said. This time, I understood what she said. She then asked me if I was from another country. I told her no. She said that since I didn't understand her, English was probably not my first language. I told her that I was deaf. She said, "Oh, I don't speak deaf." :roll:

:laugh2: "Oh I don't speak deaf."... :laugh2:

True, many hearing people thought we come from other countries when they notice our different voice... They did asked me where I come from several times in the past... :giggle:

Back