Funniest thing an uneducated person has said to you?

ROFL!! Do you mind if I ask what you said? Just out of curiosity .. not that I think he understood you :giggle:

I dont remember what I told him but boy it scarred me for the life.

I dont remember what I told him but boy it scarred me for the life.

Have you seen the movie Trading Places? (1983 with Dan Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy)
Eddie Murphy was this homeless guy pretending to be a veteran who got his legs blown off, trying to beg money off people, but the cops catch him and find out he has perfectly functional legs. This is what I was thinking, that the guy you encountered was pretending to be deaf and beg money from people in this way.

I was discussing the school my son attended (St. Rita School for the Deaf) with another person when a third person interrupted the conversation with, "Oh, is your son deaf?"

My reply: "No, he's blind. I just sent him there for the cultural experience!"

A month ago a friend of mine and I were having a conversation when all of a sudden she asked me, "Do you still have your CIs?" (I've had my first implant since 2004 and my second since 2006.) I felt like saying, "No, I don't. I'm hearing you through osmosis." just to see what kind of a reaction I would have gotten. :)

I was discussing the school my son attended (St. Rita School for the Deaf) with another person when a third person interrupted the conversation with, "Oh, is your son deaf?"

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

and I am sure your son laughed ;)

A month ago a friend of mine and I were having a conversation when all of a sudden she asked me, "Do you still have your CIs?" (I've had my first implant since 2004 and my second since 2006.) I felt like saying, "No, I don't. I'm hearing you through osmosis." just to see what kind of a reaction I would have gotten. :)

lol.

I wonder if he understood that.

lol.

I wonder if he understood that.

I hate to insult my friend, but given what a dumb (or perhaps "strange" is the better word) question that was, she probably wouldn't have understood the meaning of osmosis. :giggle: I hate to talk about my friend that way, but c'mon. How else am I going to hear you if I'm not wearing my CIs?

Well, I have been asked three times if I could drive. I think they just didn't know for sure. I have seen on tv people with no arms can drive with two feet.

I get people asking me if I went to a deaf school they named or they talk about it like I know it just because I am deaf.

I have a CI, and there are still some ignorant people. I still get people talking about how they hear some annoying sound, and then say, "I know you can't hear that." I explain that I can.

About the hearing aid ignorance, I really think some people think we just have it as a treatmet (not for hearing) like you take ibuprofen for a headache. I think sometimes they think we just have it because we need something in our ears just because.

I was showing a customer some jewelries, and she was an annoying woman. I knew everything she said. Then came another regular customer who said that she's annoying and that it is good I could not hear her. I told her that I can hear what she said. After that she started to stop acting like I was uncommunicable.

I get people asking me if I went to a deaf school they named or they talk about it like I know it just because I am deaf.

This reminds me of how some sighted or blind people think I'm supposed to know a given blind person just because I can't see. I feel like telling them, "I'm sorry, but I don't know everyone in the blind community."

I also hate it when hearing-sighted people ask if someone takes care of me. :roll:

:laugh2: That is very funny!

Oh man, that reminds me of an encounter with a flight stewardess.

I was boarding on the plane and the stewardess asked me "Oh, You're deaf?"

I said "Yes, I'm deaf" and then she goes on asking me if I would like something to read. I replied and said "Yes, That'd be fine."

Well, A couple of minutes passed by and the flight stewardess came back to me and gave me a magazine with braille on it.

At that moment, I was like "Uh? I can see and I can read just fine."

*shakes my head*

This is funny... because I do that to homeless people. I pretend to know only sign to get them away from me. It works perfectly because they just go "Ug..." and walk away, but one guy actually yelled out and held up 3 fingers in the air "THREE DOLLARS! ME! THREE DOLLARS!"

and wtf? three dollars?! Isnt that kind of a lot?!

Did he use the hearing 3 sign that looks like 6?

I said "Yes, I'm deaf" and then she goes on asking me if I would like something to read. I replied and said "Yes, That'd be fine."

Well, A couple of minutes passed by and the flight stewardess came back to me and gave me a magazine with braille on it.

*shakes my head*

:rofl: How can people graduate from school and get a job when they're so stupid?

Sometimes I get the impression that some people think I'm faking my degree of deafness. I crack up about that.

And my favorite:
"So you can't hear high pitch? Can you hear this??" *starts squeaking like a parrot* (This is not really from an uneducated person, just testing out what I can hear, but its so funny to watch guys try to squeak in a high pitch)

lmao!! I swear people think I am faking it "oh you speak so well", "well if you are deaf, why do you wear hearing aids".

Doubled over reading the last part of your post. That has NEVER happened to me, but if it does I really think I would fall down on the floor laughing uncontrollably!

*shakes my head*

lol.

your response to her should be - "are you deaf??? because I didn't say I'm blind." LOL

:rofl: How can people graduate from school and get a job when they're so stupid?

that's why she's a stewardess.... LOL (no offense to those whose friend/family member is stewardess but this is only toward to that stewardess)

Last edited:
Back