From CNN - Police: Black student marked with 'KKK' at deaf school

Pek,

I’m very excited that this news is breaking out.

I see MSSD as a breeding ground of hate like a boot camp. Thats where future soldiers of American Sign Language (ASL) learn their tricks. Once they pass the ‘crucible’, through the Kappa Gamma fraternity, they learn how to export scourge and oppression upon deaf groups and people who do not use or embrace ASL.

Getting the spotlight on the recent MSSD incident is a very positive step toward eliminating this particular breeding ground that has farmed, sponsored, and encouraged hate toward people and groups who don't use or support ASL.

Richard Roehm
:ugh3::io: I was seeking a more relevant emoticon but it isn't to be found here!

A black student was held against his will and then released with "KKK" and swastikas drawn on him in marker at the Model Secondary School for the Deaf on Sunday, she said.

Fantastic. I'm sure my parents will want me to go there now. [/sarcasm]

Something doesnt sound right with this whole story. I'll just keep a watch on it and see out it turns out. Truth always eventually comes out, but sadly, sometimes too late to make things right.

im sure that kinda words KKK hard understand for me to meant! MSSSD where in?

MSSD is next to Gallaudet in Washington, DC.

KKK, google it, then you will understand what it does mean. :ugh3:

im sure that kinda words KKK hard understand for me to meant!
Sara - KKK is Ku Klux Klan - White Supremist Hate Group. They hate Blacks, Jews, Gays, Christians, who they call defective (deaf, blind, physical problems), pretty much everyone who isn't in their group.

Someone mentioned the 60's and why is this still happening --

One reason - No one is taught an ounce of history - warts and all - anymore. If the only thing kids see is gangbangers and thugs glorified in media then that is what they think gangs are - fun - whether KKK, Black Panthers, Radicals of any flavor.

Getting the spotlight on the recent MSSD incident is a very positive step toward eliminating this particular breeding ground that has farmed, sponsored, and encouraged hate toward people and groups who don't use or support ASL.
What the (expletive)!
Where on earth did this staement come from and why/how does this incident have anything to do with someone hating ASL Richard?

Pek,

I see MSSD as a breeding ground of hate like a boot camp. Thats where future soldiers of American Sign Language (ASL) learn their tricks. Once they pass the ‘crucible’, through the Kappa Gamma fraternity, they learn how to export scourge and oppression upon deaf groups and people who do not use or embrace ASL.

Richard Roehm

What make u think MSSD is strong Kappa Gamma fraternity? Look at Maryland SD, they almost got alot Kappa Gamma fraternity alumni while MSSD not...

Interesting that some of you mentioned that ASL and Kappa Gamma are behind it. I have a feeling it was a high school prank gone wrong. That's just my feeling..

Richard,
What you said was almost typical AG Bell "rah rah rah" oral only is the best, oh look at how extreme Sign users are" rhetoric.
Just b/c a couple of people at the school have those views, it doesn't mean that EVERYONE at that school has those sorts of views.
Oh, and I quite agree that this sounds more of a prank, rather then something from budding Little Heaths.
And luckily they got kicked out! That's awesome!

. . . And luckily they got kicked out! That's awesome!

deafdyke,

Is this official? I know the kids were "sent home." Does this mean they were actually expelled? I'm wondering, not being facetious here, okay?

deafdyke,

Is this official? I know the kids were "sent home." Does this mean they were actually expelled? I'm wondering, not being facetious here, okay?

My understanding's that they were sent home, pending completion of the investigation and whether or not charges will rise to the level of a hate crime. I don't think it will (my opinion).

Pek,

Richard Roehm

Richard,

I'm well aware the actual goal of fraternities and sororities, as the students who belong to them are nothing but a bunch of drunkards. I have yet to see anything worth its salt turn out from a frat house or a sorority.

If they have those feelings toward me when I come (hopefully) in January, they need to learn how NOT to burn their bridges, as I'm not one to waste time talking to a drunken frat boy (with the emphasis on the word, "boy"). If they're nice to me and not try and set me up (for possibly hazing or injurying my dog), I will reciprocate and be nice back.

I hope these kids, due to this incident last weekend, are staring into the eyes of possible felony charges.

My understanding's that they were sent home, pending completion of the investigation and whether or not charges will rise to the level of a hate crime . . .

That's how I understood it. I'm betting there's going to be a lot of "tanned" asses this week because of this. If my kid was involved in this, rest assured, he will not want to sit on a chair or sofa at all this week and quite possibly, two weeks.

I'm going to paste some grafts I placed on another blog to clarify my explanations. The bold is my own participation in this lively debate.

=================

It's not going to be about racism. Its going to be about a bunch of kids showing off their wiggles to the Kappa Gamma frat.

And Kappa Gamma is all about hatred to deaf people and their groups who dont fully embrace ASL.

Hm? What does Kamma Gamma have to do with the MSSD incident? KG is a Gallaudet fraternity. I'm sorry I don't see the connection. Would you elaborate?

Dan,

The university fraternity I'm talking about happens to be on the same property as MSSD. They're basically under Kappa Gamma's cloak.

Are you saying that the same frat which used to march their recruits around Gallaudet campus in hoods and initiate rat funerals in the '70s actually control MSSD? Come on...

The easy giveaway is Jankowski's letter.

She's playing the 'I didnt know' game whereas numerous parents of students have been howling about the fog of intolerance thats been around the MSSD for quite a while.

Richard

Richard, as I stated before, the seperatist Deaf are REALLY in the minority overall. Only about 1% of dhh folks are Sign only, and of those the number of extremists are probly very small. Yes, there are extremists.......but overall Deaf seperatists and extremists are VERY small in number. HELLO, there's even a thread in the HA/CI forum about how there's a significent number of students at Gally with CI. Now that's something you prolly wouldn't have seen even five years ago.
Quite a lot of the seperatist mentality was born from oralists being all "Oh Sign is speshal needs! Only kids who can't speak and hear need Sign! Sign is a crutch!"
Yes, there are SOME people who honestly don't see using Sign as that helpful a tool. But, it does seem like a lot of the oral only (NOT orally skilled) brigade rejects it b/c they've been taught to see it as not a helpful skill. And you know, its very funny. Those are the SAME people who are all "Oral people are so independant and don't need to "depend on" 'terps." And then in their NEXT breath they start complaining that there's no accomondation simlair to 'terps out there for oral only folks!
So that frat is on the same campus as the high school? So what? Doesn't mean that they have a huge influence on the high school. Say there was a confederate pride group at an university. It doesn't mean that they have a large influence on its students.

That's how I understood it. I'm betting there's going to be a lot of "tanned" asses this week because of this. If my kid was involved in this, rest assured, he will not want to sit on a chair or sofa at all this week and quite possibly, two weeks.

Ok, Pete, you're the father in the above scenario; however, try keep in mind that these deaf kids attending H.S. on the property of Gallaudet University, physically separated by maybe 1,000 feet range in ages from 15 to 19. Now the average deaf person in this age range are typically a couple to 4 years behind hearing kids, something widely known and accepted; and therefore, they lack the maturity and personal responsibility to fully realize the gravity of their behavior after an incident of horse-playing got out of hand.

Now, we all know that the behavior the other night was truly horrific but given what I've just said about them, I don't believe that it will rise to the level of a hate crime. The inclusion of a black student attacker in the group may or may not determine this because even blacks and whites can behave this way toward those of like-color. However, consequences will surely befall these kids, pending discovery items coming out of the investigation by the D.C. police. If you get a chance, read what Bob Davila the President of Gallaudet University has to say about this.

Off topic for just a second; I am against hate crime legislation but that is for another place and time and has no bearing on what I've just opined above.

deafdyke,

7 kids are actually expelled from MSSD, Dr Janowski and media want to put look properly words to use for media saying kids were "sent home"

Back