From CNN - Police: Black student marked with 'KKK' at deaf school

:fly3: Speaking of KKK,, I agree it totally sad and it also very stupid. If you think that our generation have stop terrible group like KKK,,, well honestly I have to say that KKK that are racism never stop. Racism is always going to be around and some people will never learn when to stop having hate crimes. People who are into hate crimes got no respects.

Now the average deaf person in this age range are typically a couple to 4 years behind hearing kids, something widely known and accepted; and therefore, they lack the maturity and personal responsibility to fully realize the gravity of their behavior after an incident of horse-playing got out of hand.
Educationally yes, they are behind. BUT, what does being dhh have to do with maturity? I mean dhh kids have some social emotional issues, but they don't have LD/ ADD/Asperger's style social emotional issues.

Educationally yes, they are behind. BUT, what does being dhh have to do with maturity? I mean dhh kids have some social emotional issues, but they don't have LD/ ADD/Asperger's style social emotional issues.

So you don't they mature a little later like everything else?

So you don't they mature a little later like everything else?

I think, Tousi, if you took a peek into the locker room when the 13-14 year olds are in there, you will see plenty of "maturity" going on. That's when the typical body starts to mature.

Furthermore, we don't need any more legislation, but we do need, and I mean all of us need to learn how to respect each other. Yes, I will go so far as not to call this a "hate crime," but a "hazing" instead, since we do want to be "politically correct."

On another note, do you have a link to what Bob Davila said?

I think, Tousi, if you took a peek into the locker room when the 13-14 year olds are in there, you will see plenty of "maturity" going on. That's when the typical body starts to mature.

Furthermore, we don't need any more legislation, but we do need, and I mean all of us need to learn how to respect each other. Yes, I will go so far as not to call this a "hate crime," but a "hazing" instead, since we do want to be "politically correct."

On another note, do you have a link to what Bob Davila said?

Come on, Pek, why would I be interested in the physical; I meant social and emotional maturation.

I will see if I can dig up the Davila interview about this incident.

Tousi, no, why would they be emotionally immature, just b/c they can't hear? Some of them yes like mainstreamed or formally oral only kids, or kids with syndromes that can cause LD like issues.......but in general kids with just general disabilites aren't more emotionally/socially immature then their hearing/sighted/whatever peers.

Tousi, no, why would they be emotionally immature, just b/c they can't hear? Some of them yes like mainstreamed or formally oral only kids, or kids with syndromes that can cause LD like issues.......but in general kids with just general disabilites aren't more emotionally/socially immature then their hearing/sighted/whatever peers.

Well, I believe they are; the deaf, that is, generally speaking and yes, because they can't hear. They've had to develop, mature, etc, etc under hearing guidance, lol.

Richard,

I'm well aware the actual goal of fraternities and sororities, as the students who belong to them are nothing but a bunch of drunkards. I have yet to see anything worth its salt turn out from a frat house or a sorority.

If they have those feelings toward me when I come (hopefully) in January, they need to learn how NOT to burn their bridges, as I'm not one to waste time talking to a drunken frat boy (with the emphasis on the word, "boy"). If they're nice to me and not try and set me up (for possibly hazing or injurying my dog), I will reciprocate and be nice back.

I hope these kids, due to this incident last weekend, are staring into the eyes of possible felony charges.

Richard is right a little about Kappa Gamma..not all of them are bad but the attitude in that fraternity wasnt really positive to those who are different. My brother almost joined it but decided not to due to all the problems. However, I feel that Kappa Gamma has nothing to do with this incident. Besides the Gally and MSSD students dont really interact with each other too often anyway.

so 6 white + 1 black student vs 1 black student

how is this racist if a black person was also involved?

yes it was horrid though- no one should have done that regardless of race let alone being in a school setting.

You've never heard of intraracial discrimination?

Not just because they are deaf, dd, but because of prior environmental influence and langauge delays.

7 kids are actually expelled from MSSD, Dr Janowski and media want to put look properly words to use for media saying kids were "sent home"

Are you sure, "expelled" is the right word vs "sent home" because the investigation is still ongoing.

Not just because they are deaf, dd, but because of prior environmental influence and langauge delays.

Right...it is common. Even I was labeled as socially immature in my report cards.

Richard is right a little about Kappa Gamma..not all of them are bad but the attitude in that fraternity wasnt really positive to those who are different. My brother almost joined it but decided not to due to all the problems. However, I feel that Kappa Gamma has nothing to do with this incident. Besides the Gally and MSSD students dont really interact with each other too often anyway.
I was about to say the same thing but I see you beat me to it, Shel90.

Shel90 is quite correct on this one. I'm a grad of MSSD; students did not interact much with Gally students even though they're on the same campus when I was there in the 80s. Apparently things have not changed much since I graduated from MSSD in the mid 80s.

While the Kappa Gamma folks at Gally may have a attitude toward others, it's highly unlikely they've got anything to do with what happened at MSSD.

7 kids are actually expelled from MSSD, Dr Janowski and media want to put look properly words to use for media saying kids were "sent home"

Oh wow, I always thought about suspended but my bad.

For those who are interested - Ive posted my opinion of the incident and the lingering thoughts of it on my blog, just click the link in my signature. :)

Good point, and you'll note that I DID say that a lot of dhh kids who are maxstreamed or who have language issues may have social-emotional issues. That's very common especially today, where most dhh kids have been mainstreamed (and in some states they are maxstreamed as a matter of course) or with oral kids. But, just dhh kids wouldn't automaticly have social emotional issues.

I was about to say the same thing but I see you beat me to it, Shel90.

Shel90 is quite correct on this one. I'm a grad of MSSD; students did not interact much with Gally students even though they're on the same campus when I was there in the 80s. Apparently things have not changed much since I graduated from MSSD in the mid 80s.

While the Kappa Gamma folks at Gally may have a attitude toward others, it's highly unlikely they've got anything to do with what happened at MSSD.

If u graduated from there in the 80s, I'll bet u know a lot of my friends. :)

For those who are interested - Ive posted my opinion of the incident and the lingering thoughts of it on my blog, just click the link in my signature. :)

Very well put, Dixie.

Are you sure, "expelled" is the right word vs "sent home" because the investigation is still ongoing.

I recently found out MSSD will have press conference today at 1 pm, so I am sure they will tell whats their change planning in residence hall such as basement will be closed and move to first floor, and few more... So abt 7 kids, they will be expelled, but we will find out later this afternoon after press conference

Back