For those who suport NCLB..take a hard look at this cartoon

I agree. A lot of people say it's a hearing world and we should learn the language of the majority. That's an ethnocentric view. I see people who live in U.S. who only uses Spanish, and U.S. bends over backwards to accommodate them. With technology of today, there are ways to use ASL exclusively. For example, instead of posting in English on this forum, we could be using videos and have discussions using ASL.

Well, you tell me......AFTER you say you know English isn't their first language....

I agree. A lot of people say it's a hearing world and we should learn the language of the majority. That's an ethnocentric view. I see people who live in U.S. who only uses Spanish, and U.S. bends over backwards to accommodate them. With technology of today, there are ways to use ASL exclusively. For example, instead of posting in English on this forum, we could be using videos and have discussions using ASL.

If they don't have proficiency in English, they can't read or write. I am not suggesting they have to learn to speak, but I can not believe there are people who are actually ok with illiterate children. :shock:

If they don't have proficiency in English, they can't read or write. I am not suggesting they have to learn to speak, but I can not believe there are people who are actually ok with illiterate children. :shock:

I think you have successfully insulted all the children in the world that doesn't know English.

I think you have successfully insulted all the children in the world that doesn't know English.

I don't see him insulting children in the "world" who don't know English. I see him expressing his point of view that in the United States it's imperative that all citizens know English. His point is a good one. Of course there are always exceptions, but here in the U.S. you need to have some mastery of English to go to college, secure a job, read a menu, freeway signs etc.

It's irrelevant that children from other countries may or may not know English, they do not live in the U.S. They would be fluent in that country's (or region's) language. They likely have mastery of other languages as well. Deafguy25 isn't saying take away ASL- he's saying that something needs to he done to address the low literacy scores of DHH students.

I don't see him insulting children in the "world" who don't know English. I see him expressing his point of view that in the United States it's imperative that all citizens know English. His point is a good one. Of course there are always exceptions, but here in the U.S. you need to have some mastery of English to go to college, secure a job, read a menu, freeway signs etc.

It's irrelevant that children from other countries may or may not know English, they do not live in the U.S. They would be fluent in that country's (or region's) language. They likely have mastery of other languages as well. Deafguy25 isn't saying take away ASL- he's saying that something needs to he done to address the low literacy scores of DHH students.

I was talking world wide, look at all the languages used by people out there.. Sorry to tell you, primary English usage only compromises .058% of the world population.

It's time for us to stop being all gung-ho on English.

Again, the point of this thread, NCLB is not friendly towards all students.

What about "standardized testing" in subjects that can be assessed through ASL; and separate from that, standardized testing in English proficiency...

I was talking world wide, look at all the languages used by people out there.. Sorry to tell you, primary English usage only compromises .058% of the world population.

It's time for us to stop being all gung-ho on English.

Again, the point of this thread, NCLB is not friendly towards all students.

Why?

It's the American way. Thinking they're the only ones out there... People here judge other people's intelligence based solely on English and how they speak usually.

If you took a look around, the Deaf find it is actually easier to interact with other minorities, foreigners, non white Americans. These people have one thing in common, they're not gung-ho on English nor they judge one other based on their knowledge and use of English.

Your first sentence not logical. I not speak one single word English yet I can read/write.

Not be perfect English =\= illiterate. English not only language! English not even most commonly spoke language Earth. Ethnocentrism very apparent this thread.

Your first sentence not logical. I not speak one single word English yet I can read/write.

Not be perfect English =\= illiterate. English not only language! English not even most commonly spoke language Earth. Ethnocentrism very apparent this thread.

He was saying that if one cannot read nor write, they are illiterate. You can read and write in a language, therefore you know THAT LANGUAGE. Nothing to do with speaking.

sigh... really, PFH? you're gonna make me change my post?

FINE.

Well... You didn't have to.

If you value English, fine, just say so.

The only reason countless people poopoo ASL is because it doesn't quite have a written form.

I just wish tests can assess how well a child understands the world around them.

We've seen many people who master English, master Math, and master science and they seem so stupid in life. This is the reason I don't really care about these. Yes, they help you get ahead in life. But not always.

Back