FL. Loses Appeal in Terri Schiavo Case

ryantss said:
Without having waded through 15 or so pages of nonsensical banter, I'm just going to state the truth, plain and simple: without a cerebral cortex, all signs of sentience cease to exist. Terri Schiavo has no cerebral cortex. It has long since desintegrated, and now in its place lies excess spinal fluid. Why must we insist on playing God when God him/herself long ago decided Mrs. Schiavo could not live?

The media just needs to let this go. It's no one else's business any way.

good posting there ryantss! :thumb: i agree!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/20/schiavo/index.html

It's gone. I seriously wonder what they hope to accomplish with this. I'm sure the doctors don't mind, as they'll keep getting their money out of this. Maybe we'll find that someday humans will be able to live for hundreds of years without a functioning or existant cerebral cortex, thus leading to the removal of all cerebral cortices in humans.

Of course, I'm not sure we'd notice much of a difference between some of the people who currently possess cerebral cortices and the same people without them. :dunno:

Tousi said:
Well, that's great, Oceanie; now, what are they waiting for? This national drama is the pits cos there are probably dozens of people who die like this everyday and no hue and cry is raised up!
I want to use that quote to shamelessly plug the interesting article about this topic:

Does the Media Know that Bush's Texas Law Is Allowing Deaths?

By now most people who read liberal blogs are aware that George W. Bush signed a law in Texas that expressly gave hospitals the right to remove life support if the patient could not pay and there was no hope of revival, regardless of the patient's family's wishes. It is called the Texas Futile Care Law. Under this law, a baby was removed from life support against his mother's wishes in Texas just this week. A 68 year old man was given a temporary reprieve by the Texas courts just yesterday. (Magatsu's comment: Where's the dramatic news? Where's the uproar? Maybe it will help if I stand on the top of the mountain and yell: HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOO??)

Those of us who read liberal blogs are also aware that Republicans have voted en masse to pull the plug (no pun intended) on medicaid funding that pays for the kind of care that someone like Terry Schiavo and many others who are not so severely brain damaged need all across this country.

Those of us who read liberal blogs also understand that that the tort reform that is being contemplated by the Republican congress would preclude malpractice claims like that which has paid for Terry Schiavo's care thus far.

Those of us who read liberal blogs are aware that the bankruptcy bill will make it even more difficult for families who suffer a catastrophic illness like Terry Schiavo's because they will not be able to declare chapter 7 bankruptcy and get a fresh start when the gargantuan medical bills become overwhelming.

And those of us who read liberal blogs also know that this grandstanding by the congress is a purely political move designed to appease the religious right and that the legal maneuverings being employed would be anathema to any true small government conservative.

Those who don't read liberal blogs, on the other hand, are seeing a spectacle on television in which the news anchors repeatedly say that the congress is "stepping in to save Terry Schiavo" mimicking the unctuous words of Tom Delay as they grovel and leer at the family and nod sympathetically at the sanctimonious phonies who are using this issue for their political gain.

This is why we cannot trust the mainstream media. Most people get their news from television. And television is presenting this issue as a round the clock one dimensional soap opera pitting the "family", the congress and the church against this woman's husband and the judicial system that upheld Terry Schiavo's right and explicit request that she be allowed to die if extraordinary means were required to keep her alive. The ghoulish infotainment industry is making a killing by acceding once again to trumped up right wing sensationalism.

Source: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/3/20/23916/5653

And yet Bush recently signed the bill. Care to tell me what he/Congress was doing with Texas Futile Care Law and this Schiavo bill? Does dramatic media of Schiavo bill makes any sense at all? (Bush signed the bill: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050321/ap_on_go_co/schiavo_congress)

I cannot remember who said that but he/she have a good point (based on my memory): "With this Schiavo bill, Congress apparently becomes the judge and jury. So how dare we to say that it is good news that they probably will save her life?"

Indeed.

Last edited:
Good point! How contradictory of Bush!

Just goes to show that Bush is just another politician swayed by current media hullaballoos. Then again, what politician isn't, I suppose? The nerve of the conservative right to call Kerry a flip-flopper when everyone in politics is, in essence, a flip-flopper themselves.

Politics have long since declined since the Roosevelt Age, where men weren't swayed by headlines and bylines, and instead decided what was better for the population as a whole even if some people, who were too ignorant to realize the consequence of ignoring the greater good, opposed them.

Magatsu said:
It is called the Texas Futile Care Law. Under this law, a baby was removed from life support against his mother's wishes in Texas just this week.
Here's the article: http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?p=301362#post301362

I believe I rest my case about this dramatic news about Schiavo. That's exactly what I mean about my comment: One life and one person... by that, I mean, there is more than just one person who suffered... where's the dramatic news or uproar, dudes/dudettes about Sun Hudson? Where?

Indeed, it is very sad...

ryantss nailed it perfectly with this comment: Just goes to show that Bush is just another politician swayed by current media hullaballoos.

Where's the 'Hudson' bill? Where's these so-called pro-life politicans? Oh right, Bush signed the Texas Futile Care Law himself. Duh me.

Okay, I am done for this night... have a nice night.

I want to say two things about this new bill. Firstly, it does nothing to immediately save Terri's life. All it does is put the case into the Federal Ct system where yet another judge will decide what happens next. Secondly, the federal judge that was assigned the case was appointed by Clinton, so who knows how this is going to go. My gut feeling is the tube will either not be removed, or will be put back in and pulled some time at a later date. We'll be right back where we started.

*smh* :pissed:

Oceanbreeze said:
I want to say two things about this new bill. Firstly, it does nothing to immediately save Terri's life. All it does is put the case into the Federal Ct system where yet another judge will decide what happens next. Secondly, the federal judge that was assigned the case was appointed by Clinton, so who knows how this is going to go. My gut feeling is the tube will either not be removed, or will be put back in and pulled some time at a later date. We'll be right back where we started.

*smh* :pissed:
On the contrary, they (GOP) spinned Schiavo case into 'great political issue'. Can you imagine how sick they are when they are talking like that about Schiavo? Here's a quote of article:

This is an important moral issue and the pro-life base will be excited that the Senate is debating this important issue," said the memo, which was reported by ABC News and later given to The Washington Post. "This is a great political issue, because Senator Nelson of Florida has already refused to become a cosponsor and this is a tough issue for Democrats."
And this:

This just makes me sick. It's one thing to want to keep the feeding tube in out of concern for her life; it's another thing entirely to do so for political expediency. Whatever one believes, a life is hanging in the balance here, and to call it a "great political issue" that appeals to the "pro-life base" - that's just plain cold. -- comment by mistersite

Source: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/3/20/151626/707

It appears that's all these GOPs care about.

two things:

i am embarrased to see congressmen and bushit acted quickly to save this poor lady instead of using the energy for bigger issues like lack of health insurance for most americans.

if the situation is different for teri like suppose teri is a lesbian and her partner want to keep her alive with tube. but teri's parents want to let it go and have teri die in peace. would republicans have acted differently?

net0man said:
two things:

i am embarrased to see congressmen and bushit acted quickly to save this poor lady instead of using the energy for bigger issues like lack of health insurance for most americans.

if the situation is different for teri like suppose teri is a lesbian and her partner want to keep her alive with tube. but teri's parents want to let it go and have teri die in peace. would republicans have acted differently?

no... still same, but gay advocates will accused congressmen being prejudice.

Sorry to say this..its the damn Republicans buttin in to make themselves look
good and Democrats look like assholes...geeez..butt out Government!!!!!
:mad2:

LuckyGirl said:
no... still same, but gay advocates will accused congressmen being prejudice.

unless they make a law making teri a heterosexual. :roll:

anyway, the bottom line is bushities r out of control.

net0man said:
unless they make a law making teri a heterosexual. :roll:

anyway, the bottom line is bushities r out of control.

I thought government are the law? Judge, Lawyers, Governor, President,
I thought all the same, lawmakers? :sure:

Magatsu said:
On the contrary, they (GOP) spinned Schiavo case into 'great political issue'. Can you imagine how sick they are when they are talking like that about Schiavo? Here's a quote of article:

And this:

This just makes me sick. It's one thing to want to keep the feeding tube in out of concern for her life; it's another thing entirely to do so for political expediency. Whatever one believes, a life is hanging in the balance here, and to call it a "great political issue" that appeals to the "pro-life base" - that's just plain cold. -- comment by mistersite

Source: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/3/20/151626/707

It appears that's all these GOPs care about.

It is sickening. I am a moderate-liberal Republican, and it just makes me sick to my stomach when I think about how the Religious Right are trampling all over this case like they are. Our lawmakers simply have no right to intervene. I do believe that the Federal judge will take a look at the case, and come to the same conclusion that the state courts did. I am hoping that this judge will allow her death process to continue. I firmly believe this is the right thing to do.

Last edited:
LuckyGirl said:
I thought government are the law? Judge, Lawyers, Governor, President,
I thought all the same, lawmakers? :sure:

well, one of republicans' belief is to make the govt smaller and this is a total backward.

Magatsu said:
I want to use that quote to shamelessly plug the interesting article about this topic:

Does the Media Know that Bush's Texas Law Is Allowing Deaths?

By now most people who read liberal blogs are aware that George W. Bush signed a law in Texas that expressly gave hospitals the right to remove life support if the patient could not pay and there was no hope of revival, regardless of the patient's family's wishes. It is called the Texas Futile Care Law. Under this law, a baby was removed from life support against his mother's wishes in Texas just this week. A 68 year old man was given a temporary reprieve by the Texas courts just yesterday. (Magatsu's comment: Where's the dramatic news? Where's the uproar? Maybe it will help if I stand on the top of the mountain and yell: HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOO??)

Those of us who read liberal blogs are also aware that Republicans have voted en masse to pull the plug (no pun intended) on medicaid funding that pays for the kind of care that someone like Terry Schiavo and many others who are not so severely brain damaged need all across this country.

Those of us who read liberal blogs also understand that that the tort reform that is being contemplated by the Republican congress would preclude malpractice claims like that which has paid for Terry Schiavo's care thus far.

Those of us who read liberal blogs are aware that the bankruptcy bill will make it even more difficult for families who suffer a catastrophic illness like Terry Schiavo's because they will not be able to declare chapter 7 bankruptcy and get a fresh start when the gargantuan medical bills become overwhelming.

And those of us who read liberal blogs also know that this grandstanding by the congress is a purely political move designed to appease the religious right and that the legal maneuverings being employed would be anathema to any true small government conservative.

Those who don't read liberal blogs, on the other hand, are seeing a spectacle on television in which the news anchors repeatedly say that the congress is "stepping in to save Terry Schiavo" mimicking the unctuous words of Tom Delay as they grovel and leer at the family and nod sympathetically at the sanctimonious phonies who are using this issue for their political gain.

This is why we cannot trust the mainstream media. Most people get their news from television. And television is presenting this issue as a round the clock one dimensional soap opera pitting the "family", the congress and the church against this woman's husband and the judicial system that upheld Terry Schiavo's right and explicit request that she be allowed to die if extraordinary means were required to keep her alive. The ghoulish infotainment industry is making a killing by acceding once again to trumped up right wing sensationalism.

Source: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/3/20/23916/5653

And yet Bush recently signed the bill. Care to tell me what he/Congress was doing with Texas Futile Care Law and this Schiavo bill? Does dramatic media of Schiavo bill makes any sense at all? (Bush signed the bill: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050321/ap_on_go_co/schiavo_congress)

I cannot remember who said that but he/she have a good point (based on my memory): "With this Schiavo bill, Congress apparently becomes the judge and jury. So how dare we to say that it is good news that they probably will save her life?"

Indeed.

ahem, bushit repeats proving to be a complete fraud.

Federal judge is taking his time making a ruling

Judge not making an immediate decision in Schiavo dispute

By VICKIE CHACHERE
Associated Press Writer

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Armed with a new law rushed through Congress over the weekend, the parents of Terri Schiavo pleaded with a judge Monday to order the brain-damaged woman's feeding tube reinserted.

U.S. District Judge James Whittemore said after the two-hour hearing that he would not make an immediate ruling, and he gave no indication on when he might act on the request.

During the hearing, David Gibbs III, an attorney for the Schindlers, said that forcing Terri Schiavo to die by starvation and dehydration would be "a mortal sin" under her Catholic beliefs.

"It is a complete violation to her rights and to her religious liberty, to force her in a position of refusing nutrition," Gibbs told Whittemore, who was nominated to the court in 1999 by President Clinton.

But the judge told Gibbs that he still wasn't completely sold on the argument. "I think you'd be hardpressed to convince me that you have a substantial likelihood" of the parents' lawsuit succeeding, Whittemore said.

George Felos, one of the attorneys for Michael Schiavo, Terri's husband, told Whittemore that the case has been aired thoroughly in state courts and that forcing the 41-year-old severely brain damaged woman to endure another re-insertion of the tube would violate her civil rights.

"Every possible issue has been raised and re-raised, litigated and re-litigated," Felos said. "It's the elongation of these proceedings that have violated Mrs. Schiavo's due process rights."

Terri Schiavo's feeding tube was removed at 1:45 p.m. Friday, the third such time she had begun what Felos described as "her dying process." On both previous occasions, the tube was re-inserted by court order.

During the hours leading up to the hearing, a few demonstrators appeared outside the federal courthouse, saying they were praying for Whittemore.

About two dozen activists outside the hospice where Schiavo lives were subdued but hopeful after learning that Whittemore did not issue an immediate ruling.

"The problem is, she needs the fluids," said Nancy Kramer, 50, who organized a local group of supporters for Schiavo. "This is a life or death matter right now as I speak to you."

Earlier Monday, the House, following a move by the Senate, passed a bill to let the parents ask a federal judge to prolong Schiavo's life by reinserting her feeding tube. President Bush, who rushed back to Washington from his Texas ranch to sign the measure in the early morning hours, applauded the dramatic legislative maneuver.

"Democrats and Republicans in Congress came together last night to give Terri Schiavo's parents another opportunity to save their daughter's life," Bush said at an event on Social Security in Arizona. "This is a complex case with serious issues, but in extraordinary circumstances like this, it is wise to always err on the side of life."

Michael Schiavo said he was outraged that lawmakers and the president were intervening in the contentious right-to-die battle. He has fought for years with his wife's parents over whether she should be permitted to die or kept alive through the feeding tube.

"This is a sad day for Terri. But I'll tell you what: It's also is a sad day for everyone in this country because the United States government is going to come in and trample all over your personal, family matters," he told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Monday morning, eight hours before the hearing began.

Michael Schiavo has not responded to repeated interview requests from The Associated Press.

The lawsuit alleges a series of rights violations, including that Terri Schiavo's religious beliefs were being infringed upon, that the removal of the feeding tube violated her rights and that she was not provided an independent attorney to represent her interests.

Outside the hospice where his daughter entered her fourth day without food or water, Bob Schindler told reporters early Monday, "I'm numb, I'm just totally numb. This whole thing, it's hard to believe it."

A shout of joy was heard from the crowd outside the hospice when news of the House bill's passage came shortly past midnight Monday morning. Among those cheering was David Bayly, 45, of Toledo, Ohio: "I'm overjoyed to see the vote and see Terri's life extended by whatever amount God gives her."

Doctors say Schiavo could linger for one or two weeks if the tube is not reinserted - as has happened twice before, once on a judge's order and once after Gov. Jeb Bush signed "Terri's Law," which was later declared unconstitutional.

Felos, a lawyer for Michael Schiavo, did not return repeated phone messages seeking additional comment Monday from The AP. The voicemail box of George Greer, the Florida circuit judge who presides over the case, was full and didn't accept messages.

In Tallahassee on Monday, Gov. Bush praised Congress for its "extraordinary action" in the Schiavo matter and rejected criticism that the legislation represented an unwarranted federal intrusion in a state case.

"They're not overruling any decision in asking federal to review the decision. I think that's more than appropriate," he said, adding that efforts would continue to find compromise on state legislation to protect Schiavo.

The governor said he was in frequent contact during the weekend with Republican congressional leaders.

Terri Schiavo suffered brain damage in 1990 when her heart stopped briefly because of a possible potassium imbalance brought on by an eating disorder. She can breathe on her own, but has relied on the feeding tube to keep her alive.

Court-appointed doctors say she is in a persistent vegetative state with no hope of recovery. Her husband says she would not want to be kept alive in that condition, but her parents insist she could recover with treatment.

Bob Schindler visited his daughter late Sunday and said he noticed the effects of dehydration on her. He said she appeared to be getting tired, but eventually responded to his teasing by making a face at him.

"It tells us she's still with us," he said.

The bill passed in Congress applies only to Schiavo and would allow a federal court to review the case.

Back