Baby at center of life support case dies

Vance

Reaction score
HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- A critically ill 5-month-old was taken off life support and died Tuesday, a day after a judge cleared the way for doctors to halt care they believed to be futile. The infant's mother had fought to keep him alive.

Sun Hudson had been diagnosed with a fatal genetic disorder called thanatophoric dysplasia, a condition characterized by a tiny chest and lungs too small to support life. He had been on a ventilator since birth.

Wanda Hudson unsuccessfully fought to continue her son's medical care. She believed he needed time to grow and could eventually be weaned off the ventilator.

"I wanted life for my son," Hudson said Tuesday. "The hospital gave up on him too soon."

Texas law allows hospitals to end life support in cases such as this but requires that families be given 10 days to find another facility to care for the patient. No hospital was found to take the baby.

The ethics committee at Texas Children's Hospital reviewed Sun's case before recommending that life support be stopped. Hospital officials also recommended the case be taken to court and offered to pay Hudson's attorney fees.

"Texas Children's Hospital is deeply saddened to report that Sun Hudson has died," the hospital said in a statement issued Tuesday.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/15/lifesupport.baby.ap/

It is always sad when such a case happens. I feel that parents are being denied their rights of making decisions for their own kids. Look at what's happening to Teri Schavio - her parents trying to save her but judges are siding with the husband. :(

"Texas law allows hospitals to end life support in cases such as this but requires that families be given 10 days to find another facility to care for the patient. No hospital was found to take the baby."

Ohh.....and, from what I heard, the law mentioned above was signed in 1999...signed by then Governor George W. Bush.

Bush Criticized for End-of-Life Laws
Friday, March 25, 2005
By Jane Roh

NEW YORK — While Americans were riveted by dramatic events unfolding in Pinellas Park, Fla., a five-month-old Houston baby took his last breath after a hospital let him die despite his mother's objections.

Sun Hudson (search) was born Sept. 25 with thanatophoric dysplasia (search), an incurable and fatal form of dwarfism. Doctors said his tiny lungs would never fully grow and that he would never breathe on his own.

Hudson's mother, Wanda, put up a fight when doctors advised removing Sun from a respirator. She said she did not believe in sickness or death.

But on March 15, a Texas law signed by then-Gov. George W. Bush (search) in 1999 allowed the hospital to go ahead and take Sun off the respirator in defiance of Wanda Hudson's wishes [...]

Link from FoxNews

Yeah. Comes full circle.

Yes, I already about it last week. It's so tragic. :( And yes, George W. Bush, then Governer of Texas, did indeed signed the bill that would allow the hospital to withdraw food and water (or turn off life machine) and let the sick patients die despite protests from the families.

Talk about hypocrisy!
tongue.gif

Now theres a case Hillary clinton should bring up about George W Bush should be impeached!

I feel two ways about this. As a woman with significent medical problems who has done more then the experts have predicted, I think that sometimes doctors DO give up on kids with disabilties too easily. (Oh no...we shouldn't let a kid grow up to be DISABLED!!! It's a fate worse then death!) However, it does seem like some parents aren't exactly in touch with reality. Does anyone know the stats on thanophrpic dysplasia? Is there ANY survival rate?
I do know that some "fatal" genetic disorders do have some surival rates (although they are very low) It's tough.....

ravensteve1961 said:
Now theres a case Hillary clinton should bring up about George W Bush should be impeached!
*gasps* You, a democratic supporter? Wow!

Seriously, I hate it when these issues are brought up. There are times when nothing can be done, but people don't see it that way... and keep trying. As a result, they hurt themselves more.

VamPyroX said:
Seriously, I hate it when these issues are brought up. There are times when nothing can be done, but people don't see it that way... and keep trying. As a result, they hurt themselves more.

Do you think that all the states will follow the same thing after what happened to Schviao case ? Just like what happened to Sun, a 5 months old baby in Texas, for example ?

I hope that all the states don't follow. Just have to wait and see what happens down the road............

Im Not a democratic supporter i just dont think bush is doing his job well enough. Like the war on iraq for example. I thought the object of the misson is to capture saddam and bring him back to the US and stand trial for attempting to assassinate George H Bush. Like George H Bush brought general norreaga back to the US and stand trial for drug trafficing.Today hes in prison. But Nooo our men are continuing to die over in iraq. Thats why i want george bush impeached because oil prices are way over the roof and this is our vietnam in iraq.

R3na3Blyth3 said:
It is always sad when such a case happens. I feel that parents are being denied their rights of making decisions for their own kids. Look at what's happening to Teri Schavio - her parents trying to save her but judges are siding with the husband. :(

Yes, It is sad indeed. Looks like barley anyone have rights anymore. :shock:

Oh my dear! I was mad when I read your post here.

They kill baby because of thanatophoric dysplasia? It's not brain damaged. I see nothing wrong thanatophoric dysplaisa patient to stay alive because they can talk, read, walk, of course use tiny bicycle, etc. Why kill???? Oh my God! Yes, I know they won't stay live long.. It could be up to between 30 and 40 years old.

The doctor has no right to against baby's mother's wish.

My son befriend a boy who has thanatophoric dysplasia from other neighhood. He's such lovely boy and have very good talent and normal person. He play football very good and run real fast. I can't image how a boy's mother react when I show those link to her... Oh no!!!!

*sigh* uh-not again!! Why people goes crazy about unplug the machine... Let them alive and have chance near the future would be great better use techoglies improve. Why can't they quit thinking about "right to die" Baby didn't made their decision.. what more.. Respect mother's wishes want her baby stay alive... Doctor want baby die.. simlair alike Michael's type. What hell sumth'n fishy goes carried too far!
"PRO LIFE"

ravensteve1961 said:
Im Not a democratic supporter i just dont think bush is doing his job well enough. Like the war on iraq for example. I thought the object of the misson is to capture saddam and bring him back to the US and stand trial for attempting to assassinate George H Bush. Like George H Bush brought general norreaga back to the US and stand trial for drug trafficing.Today hes in prison. But Nooo our men are continuing to die over in iraq. Thats why i want george bush impeached because oil prices are way over the roof and this is our vietnam in iraq.
Therefore, you are a democratic supporter.

VamPyroX said:
Therefore, you are a democratic supporter.

Actually, he's not. He appears to pick and choose who he wants to support based on whether they do something that ticks him off or not. Therefore, he is neither a Republican or Democrat.

This would actually make him :confused:

Oceanbreeze & Vampy, maybe he is a *gasp* liberal-conservative?

Edit: or... libertarian?

How can i be a liberal conservitive? Listen if ronald reagan was our president during 9-11 he certainly wouldnt order and invasion on the arab countries. He would done this..
hunter_reagan_385.jpg

Mr President, I have to inform you that al queda attacked new york city just 20 minutes ago. What are your orders sir?
Just call the penatgon and launch 3 ICBMs over the middle east,,I dont care how you do it just blow em off the face of the earth.

hes giving him an award or something in that picture not an infomation... quit with the picture shit reven.

I had a sister with Thanatophoric Dwarfism/Dysplasia. It is cruel to keep these children alive. They are in constant pain and they have no hope of ever having a life that does not include insurmountable pain. There are a few cases where children have lived more than about 2 hours after birth, but as I said with great amounts of pain and they can never have a normal or even comfortable life. It is impossible for a child's lungs to develop as their rib cage is fused. When we breathe, the cartilage between our lungs allows our rib cage to expand. These children have no cartilage and their rib cage cannot expand as a result. Because of this, even if the lungs did develop some, it would be impossible for the child to be off of life support. They also are missing 4 main bones in their bodies. The Femur and Humorus are not existant in most children with Thanatophoric Dwarfism/Dysplasia.

The comment by someone about knowing a child with Thanatophoric Dwarfism/Dysplasia was obviously made my someone who is confused. It is impossible for a child with this condition to walk, live apart from life support, play football, run, or even appear normal as the person stated.

I am all for protecting the parent's rights to choose for their children, but when a parent prolongs terrible pain for a child who has no hope of ever living without life support, will be brain dead, and will die within a few weeks even on life support I have to agree with the doctors and the hospital and do the huminitarian thing and end the child's suffering. Terry Shivo was not aware of her suffering because she was brain dead. These children can feel until their brain eventually does die and it is torture to put them through that.

Feel free to keep posting about politics, but that is so far from the issue in this article. When this disease is involved there really are not a lot of options.

Back