FL. Loses Appeal in Terri Schiavo Case

Liebling:-))) said:
It helps nothing when you write your wishes on piece of paper by your own but legally is go to Notary because it's legal.

Yes, I am saying, write your wishes a paper and send to lawyer and make a copy for your self in your metal box, and your family will know that you have a copy and lawyer have a copy. There will be no fighting in court. You have a proof and Lawyer have a proof and the case will be closed.

*interesting* nobody response my question to rest all everyones.. I bet am I invisable or block me..
as no such thing for no reason w/me.. I have none reason w/you..

HELL please stop being your immatures!

btw, I want feedback w/you guys.. Why can't you guys ?
I'm not surprsied what you have done w/her want die... I bet you carreid your blood on your hands part of murder!

I hoping Terri stay live unfortunally stupid judge Greed want her die.. *Ugh* Give me a break... Extactly how I felt about stupid Michael doesn't love and caring for Terri.. why... what more.. he kept neglecting Terri's health condition.. Extactly what MsGiglz says.. Perfect well said!!!

Greed is murder.. rest of other people wishes her die... as condiser is.. MURDER peroid..

There's need add new law lesguestion (sp) for that want her/him die.. as condiser MURDER.
Send person prision belongs!

*breath carried away*

Bullym0m said:
*interesting* nobody response my question to rest all everyones.. I bet am I invisable or block me..

I did answered your question read up... Let me show you,
In Terri’s case, her husband is living with another woman and they have two children. Also, if she dies, he will have most of the 1.2 million dollar malpractice settlement.
It's all about money to Michael.

I don't want to see her die either, And I think she derserved to live and get the therpay she was suppose to have ten years ago to start with and nobody gave that to her not even her husband Michael. That is why I am upset about the whole thing.

Liebling:-))) said:
It helps nothing when you write your wishes on piece of paper by your own but legally is go to Notary because it's legal.

i second above msg. make sure ur living will is notarized. my wife and i talked about our wishes and we need to write up living wills. copies are availabe on internet.

to stir things up, read the link below: (bear in mind, dont believe everything u read or hear cuz i think the nurse exaggerated)

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1006944/posts

BullyMom said:

HELL please stop being your immatures!

errm....I honestly did not see your post.... :ugh:

Schiavo parents take case to next level

Attorneys for parents petition appellate court

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 Posted: 11:09 AM EST (1609 GMT)

TAMPA, Florida (CNN) -- A federal judge on Tuesday denied an emergency request to reinsert a feeding tube for Terri Schiavo, a brain-damaged woman at the center of a national legal battle over her life.

Attorneys for Schiavo's parents appealed the ruling to a three-judge panel of the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta, Georgia.

Schiavo has been without food or water since a Florida state judge ordered her feeding tube removed Friday at her husband's request.

Tuesday's ruling by U.S. District Judge James Whittemore in Tampa came after Congress and President Bush enacted legislation aimed at allowing federal courts to review Schiavo's case. (Full story)

The Bush administration would have preferred a "different ruling," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said while accompanying the president on a trip to New Mexico.

McClellan said the administration hoped the Schindlers will find relief in the appeals process.

In denying the request for a temporary restraining order to restore the tube, Whittemore wrote that Schiavo's parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, didn't have a "substantial likelihood of success" on the merits of their arguments.

"This court concludes that Theresa Schiavo's life and liberty interests were adequately protected by the extensive process provided in the state courts," the judge wrote.

He acknowledged the "gravity of the consequences of denying injunctive relief."

"Even under these difficult and time strained circumstances, however, and not withstanding Congress' expressed interest in the welfare of Theresa Schiavo, this court is constrained to apply the law to the issues before it," the ruling said.

Schindler spokesman Gary McCullough called the decision "extremely cruel."

"Here's a woman whose life is hanging. She's being slowly starved," he said.

"This judge could have made his decision and give the family's attorney time to appeal this. From what I understand, the attorneys will appeal this."

Scott Schiavo, brother of Terri's husband, Michael, told The Associated Press that the ruling was "a good thing" and that Congress shouldn't have intervened.

"There's not a law that's made for this," he told the AP. "This is something that goes on 100 times a day in our country, that people, their wish to die with dignity is not a federal issue."

Michael Schiavo insists that his wife would never want to continue to live in her condition -- what Florida courts have deemed a persistent vegetative state.

People in such a condition cannot think, speak or respond to commands and are not aware of their surroundings.

Terri Schiavo, 41, collapsed in her home in 1990, suffering from heart failure that led to severe brain damage. Michael Schiavo said his wife suffered from bulimia that resulted in a potassium deficiency that triggered the heart failure.

He vowed to carry through with what he calls his wife's wish not to live in such a condition, saying, "I will stick by Terri."

"When Terri's wishes are carried out, it will be her wish. She'll be at peace, she'll be with the Lord," Michael Schiavo said Monday.

"This is what Terri wants. She does not want to be in this condition. She does not want to exist in this condition, and I'm going to carry out what she wanted."

But Schiavo's parents point to the absence of a living will, or written document, clearly spelling out her wishes. They argue that their daughter's due process rights have been violated and that she would not have wanted to die this way due to her faith as a Roman Catholic.

They also contend that their daughter's condition could improve with treatment.
An uphill legal battle?

Doctors have said Schiavo could live for one to two weeks without a feeding tube.

Her parents are facing an uphill battle. Repeated court rulings have held that Michael Schiavo is his wife's legal guardian and has the right to make decisions regarding her care.

At the federal court hearing Monday, the judge grilled the Schindlers' attorney about the constitutionality of their case.

Michael Schiavo, who was not at the hearing, visited his wife at a hospice in Pinellas Park on Monday. He said it is going to be hard when she finally dies.

"I've cried many tears so far, trust me," he told CNN's Larry King. "I made a promise to Terri. I'm going to stick by her side, and I'm going to do this for her. Terri is not a piece of property that you pass back and forth. She didn't say, 'Well, when I become sick, give me back to my parents.' "

He and his attorney, George Felos, said Terri made it clear years ago that she would not want to live in such a condition -- even though she never made a living will. They said she once made the comment to her best friend after seeing a movie in which a character was in such a state.

"She said, 'No tubes for me,' " Michael Schiavo said.

Asked if he would feel bad if his wife died and medical experts later figured out a way for her to have had a better life, he said that was a medical impossibility.

"Let's be realistic, Larry. You can't regrow a brain," he said.

Meanwhile, outside the hospice, Terri's brother thanked supporters on his family's behalf and said they remain optimistic the feeding tube will be reinserted.

At the same time, he said it is disturbing to visit his sister without the feeding tube.

"She's still alert, but we're going on four days now, and we're slowly watching my sister being starved to death," Bobby Schindler said.

"It's a surreal situation when you walk in there, and you realize you're watching a loved one slowly being starved to death and dehydrated to death. It's hard to describe."

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/22/schiavo/index.html

Never underestimate the power of parents' love for their child. =P

Toonces said:
Schiavo parents take case to next level

Attorneys for parents petition appellate court

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 Posted: 11:09 AM EST (1609 GMT)

TAMPA, Florida (CNN) -- A federal judge on Tuesday denied an emergency request to reinsert a feeding tube for Terri Schiavo, a brain-damaged woman at the center of a national legal battle over her life.

Attorneys for Schiavo's parents appealed the ruling to a three-judge panel of the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta, Georgia.

Schiavo has been without food or water since a Florida state judge ordered her feeding tube removed Friday at her husband's request.

Tuesday's ruling by U.S. District Judge James Whittemore in Tampa came after Congress and President Bush enacted legislation aimed at allowing federal courts to review Schiavo's case. (Full story)

The Bush administration would have preferred a "different ruling," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said while accompanying the president on a trip to New Mexico.

McClellan said the administration hoped the Schindlers will find relief in the appeals process.

In denying the request for a temporary restraining order to restore the tube, Whittemore wrote that Schiavo's parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, didn't have a "substantial likelihood of success" on the merits of their arguments.

"This court concludes that Theresa Schiavo's life and liberty interests were adequately protected by the extensive process provided in the state courts," the judge wrote.

He acknowledged the "gravity of the consequences of denying injunctive relief."

"Even under these difficult and time strained circumstances, however, and not withstanding Congress' expressed interest in the welfare of Theresa Schiavo, this court is constrained to apply the law to the issues before it," the ruling said.

Schindler spokesman Gary McCullough called the decision "extremely cruel."

"Here's a woman whose life is hanging. She's being slowly starved," he said.

"This judge could have made his decision and give the family's attorney time to appeal this. From what I understand, the attorneys will appeal this."

Scott Schiavo, brother of Terri's husband, Michael, told The Associated Press that the ruling was "a good thing" and that Congress shouldn't have intervened.

"There's not a law that's made for this," he told the AP. "This is something that goes on 100 times a day in our country, that people, their wish to die with dignity is not a federal issue."

Michael Schiavo insists that his wife would never want to continue to live in her condition -- what Florida courts have deemed a persistent vegetative state.

People in such a condition cannot think, speak or respond to commands and are not aware of their surroundings.

Terri Schiavo, 41, collapsed in her home in 1990, suffering from heart failure that led to severe brain damage. Michael Schiavo said his wife suffered from bulimia that resulted in a potassium deficiency that triggered the heart failure.

He vowed to carry through with what he calls his wife's wish not to live in such a condition, saying, "I will stick by Terri."

"When Terri's wishes are carried out, it will be her wish. She'll be at peace, she'll be with the Lord," Michael Schiavo said Monday.

"This is what Terri wants. She does not want to be in this condition. She does not want to exist in this condition, and I'm going to carry out what she wanted."

But Schiavo's parents point to the absence of a living will, or written document, clearly spelling out her wishes. They argue that their daughter's due process rights have been violated and that she would not have wanted to die this way due to her faith as a Roman Catholic.

They also contend that their daughter's condition could improve with treatment.
An uphill legal battle?

Doctors have said Schiavo could live for one to two weeks without a feeding tube.

Her parents are facing an uphill battle. Repeated court rulings have held that Michael Schiavo is his wife's legal guardian and has the right to make decisions regarding her care.

At the federal court hearing Monday, the judge grilled the Schindlers' attorney about the constitutionality of their case.

Michael Schiavo, who was not at the hearing, visited his wife at a hospice in Pinellas Park on Monday. He said it is going to be hard when she finally dies.

"I've cried many tears so far, trust me," he told CNN's Larry King. "I made a promise to Terri. I'm going to stick by her side, and I'm going to do this for her. Terri is not a piece of property that you pass back and forth. She didn't say, 'Well, when I become sick, give me back to my parents.' "

He and his attorney, George Felos, said Terri made it clear years ago that she would not want to live in such a condition -- even though she never made a living will. They said she once made the comment to her best friend after seeing a movie in which a character was in such a state.

"She said, 'No tubes for me,' " Michael Schiavo said.

Asked if he would feel bad if his wife died and medical experts later figured out a way for her to have had a better life, he said that was a medical impossibility.

"Let's be realistic, Larry. You can't regrow a brain," he said.

Meanwhile, outside the hospice, Terri's brother thanked supporters on his family's behalf and said they remain optimistic the feeding tube will be reinserted.

At the same time, he said it is disturbing to visit his sister without the feeding tube.

"She's still alert, but we're going on four days now, and we're slowly watching my sister being starved to death," Bobby Schindler said.

"It's a surreal situation when you walk in there, and you realize you're watching a loved one slowly being starved to death and dehydrated to death. It's hard to describe."

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/22/schiavo/index.html

Never underestimate the power of parents' love for their child. =P

Expect this to go all the way to the Supreme Court.

It's inevitable.

I haven't been following this thread, and not in the mood to go throught 351 messages. I just want to state my 2 cents. In nature, if you can't feed yourself, you die. This woman can't do anything for herself. Why keep her alive artificially?? My father might be alive today if they didn't pull the plug, but you know what? I am happy is in a better place than living a life like that. I have no Idea why Washington needs to jump in. Some are even saying it's unconstitutional. Let her die in peace. Let the resources keeping her alive go to someone who needs it.

prostock19 said:
I haven't been following this thread, and not in the mood to go throught 351 messages. I just want to state my 2 cents. In nature, if you can't feed yourself, you die. This woman can't do anything for herself. Why keep her alive artificially?? My father might be alive today if they didn't pull the plug, but you know what? I am happy is in a better place than living a life like that. I have no Idea why Washington needs to jump in. Some are even saying it's unconstitutional. Let her die in peace. Let the resources keeping her alive go to someone who needs it.

I understand how you feel, But she did not have not gotten therpay for the past ten years when she first got her heart attacked. If she would have maybe things would have been differently today than now.

ravensteve1961 said:
THANK YOU JESUS!!!!
The judge refused to order the reinsertion of Terri Schiavo's feeding tube!!
The Story Here

Umm. This is a duplicate post. Please be mindful of what is in the thread before posting.

Thanks.

ravensteve1961 said:
Its not a duplicate post. Its a new report.

Actually, when I posted the article it has already mentioned that the federal judge had turned down request to re-insert the feeding tube and that the parents are now appealing to the Appeals Court in Atlanta, Georgia. What you posted is nearly the same thing. Sorry.

Toonces said:
Actually, when I posted the article it has already mentioned that the federal judge had turned down request to re-insert the feeding tube and that the parents are now appealing to the Appeals Court in Atlanta, Georgia. What you posted is nearly the same thing. Sorry.

Toonces is right. But, it's also easy to get confused, too. This case has taken so many twists and turns that it's hard to keep up with what is happening. I know the other day my head was spinning because there was so much going on.

As it stands now, the full court of appeals will hear the case. From there, I assume, it'll go to the Supreme Ct. Call it a gut feeling, but I think this is about over.

They have refused the appeal again just now. This is so sad. How can they starve a woman to death and still live with theirselves?

TTT said:
If that was your sister....
And you want her to live...
but if your brother in law wants to unplug....
just so he can get some insurance and money and to marry the other woman.
Then you wouldn't want that monster to kill her like that.

How can you starve your own sister, watch her
slowly die like that?

What if the stem cell or whatever can cure her?

Well this make me not want to get marry.
Because I don't want a husband I know only for a few years...
to decide....
I would want my mom and family I know all of my life
to decide....

simple put the request in your will for your mom/family to decide, not your husband...

mlkshkgrl said:
They have refused the appeal again just now. This is so sad. How can they starve a woman to death and still live with theirselves?

I concur--

Not only that, but I have a terribly hard time just seeing for the fact that it does look like she seems to know what is going on about her, just by looking into those misty glass eyes of hers, one can tell when their is a glow or glitter in her eyes whenever her mom is around....the lastest ruling by the court is appalling and am sadden on the behalf of her parents who've stood by her while her nonchalent husband anxiously wants to move forward most noteably with someone else....

Regardless whether she isn't able to feed herself, that's no excuse to carry out a 'death sentence' by removing her feeding tube--Her life in itself is a blessing to many, more so to her parents...I know many will agree to disagree with me since she isn't able to function properly like the majority of us can, but that still don't mean her life can't touch others for who she is and not because of the state of physical condition she may be in....

It furiates me even more when she really hasn't been properly cared for in the years past when she could have been possibly be in a better state of health now if she had received various of types of therapy, etc., only God knows she could have benefit greatly from having those kind of treatments which she really never had....

It now looks like she will eventually die soon and I just pray that her passing will be peaceful and her parents, love ones will be blessed and comforted--.

"Similiar Case w/ Karen Ann Quinlan"

Quinlan, Karen Ann

On April 15, 1975, Karen Quinlan lapsed into a coma, apparently as a result of consuming alcohol and drugs. Karen was brought unconscious to a hospital emergency room. After her condition stabilized, feeding required a nasogastric tube (artificial nutrition and hydration) and breathing required a respirator. She was eventually diagnosed as being in a permanent coma, i.e., a permanent vegetative state in current terminology. Karen Quinlan’s father sought court appointment as guardian of her person for the express purpose of authorizing removal of her respirator, whether or not she died as a consequence. He was opposed not only by Karen’s physicians but by the local prosecutor and the state attorney general.

The New Jersey trial court denied Mr. Quinlan’s request to be appointed guardian and also his request to terminate the use of the respirator, holding in effect that the decision was solely that of the attending physicians acting in accordance with prevailing medical standards. It rejected the argument that there is a viable legal distinction between ordinary and extraordinary means to sustain life. The New Jersey Supreme Court reversed the decision and granted Mr. Quinlan’s request. Karen’s physicians gradually weaned her from the respirator during May of 1976. She continued to breathe on her own. Her father did not want artificial nutrition and hydration stopped, though the Supreme Court gave permission for all life-support to be withdrawn. Karen lived another ten years. In its considerations regarding this case, the New Jersey Supreme Court advocated giving decision-making authority to a hospital ethics committee (which were still largely non-existent at the time). As a result of this case, ethics committees grew in number and debate arose regarding their appropriate role and authority. Most experts now agree that any authority an ethics committee has is limited and must appropriately respect the decision-making authority that properly belongs to patients, surrogates, and care-providers. [Source: In Re Quinlan, 355 A.2d. (N.J. 1976).]

http://www.ascensionhealth.org/ethics/public/cases/case21.asp

Attachments

• new_pa2Karen.jpg
    new_pa2Karen.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 6
If my kid was in this position I would never pull his feeding tube. I would never starve my son. I would never dehydrate my son. Never. No way!

I am more like with Terri's parents. I agrees with BullyMom, her question made me to think more about it A LOT!! Her parents don't see her wishes on the paper. Terri's parents wanted her tube to stay and she get the foods and water, and when her time is ready, she will die in natural, NOT kill her.

Her husband just wanted her to die so he can get her inheritance and get married to the other woman who bore his children.

Think about...

How would you do if YOUR child or children end up like this?

:(

Back