Fire Drills at Gallaudet University

RebelGirl said:
I guess it just depends how sensitive your sleeping is.. She must be a deep sleeper. Am I right? :dunno:
Nope, she doesn't really sleep deeply at all. But she did say the flashers aren't all that bright.

Okay.. It was bright for me.. like I said.. it depends on the individuals.. I guess.. :dunno:

oy...

A several of times when i was in my younger teens years, if i knew there was a fire drill coming up, me and my roommate will go into our bedroom and shut the curtain, turn the light off, and everything til its really dark, then just wait. Its cool when you are awake but it probably will shake me awake if i was sleeping.. Luckily it never happened to me yet... :smoking:

What is so fun about setting off fire alarms in the middle of the night anyway?? One guy I was talking to said his freshman year the alarms might go off 4 or 5 times a night in really cold weather!! :eek:

juliae said:
What is so fun about setting off fire alarms in the middle of the night anyway?? One guy I was talking to said his freshman year the alarms might go off 4 or 5 times a night in really cold weather!! :eek:

Its not funny at all!!! I was a freshman there too and I had to get up about 5 times and it was snowing.. i was only in my robe and slippers.. freezing my arse out! I was pretty pissed too.. never thought that was funny..

I urge you to talk to ADA about it and investigating on that case.

I think Gallaudet is responsible for it and install vibrate bed for fire and weather alarm device for the bed. You can file lawsuit you need to talk to attorney if serious then file motion. I guess you should suggestion about it with Gallaudet who is responsible for it. If they cannot help it then talk to ADA directly.

Jellybean said:
I'm hearing and was wondering what happens if a fire drill goes off in the middle of the night in the dorms at Gallaudet University. How do people know to get out of the dorms if they can't hear a fire alarm or see lights flashing because they are asleep?

BTW, I visited Gallaudet in February and I absolutely loved it! I have the mascot "doll" and a postcard in my china closet at home and display with much happiness. If I could sign well and could afford to pursue another degree, I'd consider going there. The campus is pretty.

Last edited:
It's the RA's job to check every room during the fire alarm. That way, they know everyone's evacuated. They fine you if you don't leave the room.

When I was there long ago, I had to pull the fire drill because there was a fire on 5 or 6th floor in the lobby at Benson Hall. When they start asking people who pulled the fire drill, they would check my hand to see that I have chemical stuff on my hand from the fire drill bar. ( the glass part that you break will show up with the black light ~ it was cool to see that) I was honest with them and I had to fill out the paper since there was a fire for real. The chair got on fire by someone who was smoking. I think that person fell asleep or something. I dont remember.

I had no idea that there was a chemical on the fire drill bar. People can see it under a black light? Wow!

Jellybean said:
I had no idea that there was a chemical on the fire drill bar. People can see it under a black light? Wow!

Yeah, its in that little glass tube..... some of it you see under a black light, and other ones change color when they come into contact with the air...

RebelGirl said:
Its not funny at all!!! I was a freshman there too and I had to get up about 5 times and it was snowing.. i was only in my robe and slippers.. freezing my arse out! I was pretty pissed too.. never thought that was funny..

Been there, Done that.

I remember my frosh year at Gallaudet back then in 95-96. I was living in Cogswell Hall (Now it's Ballard North or something?) There was tons of fire alarm going off all the time, even during the night time. It drove me crazy and I usually would sometime crash over at some of my pals at other dorm like Benson, Clerc and Carlin Hall. After reading this thread, it brought me back some memories and there was a funny incident but poor my floor mate - I was just out of the shower and went to my room to put the clothes on and my floor mate just had went into the shower when I just got out of there. When the fire alarm went off, I immediately thought about her and went back to the restroom to tell her that there was a fire alarm going on. She was like, What?!? u gotta be kiddin? Nope I ain't kidding. She was like Oh crap!! You can imagine, She was buck naked and only had to wrap a little towel around her in the middle of the night on a cold winter night. To this day, She and I laugh about that.

quiet gal said:
When I was there long ago, I had to pull the fire drill because there was a fire on 5 or 6th floor in the lobby at Benson Hall. When they start asking people who pulled the fire drill, they would check my hand to see that I have chemical stuff on my hand from the fire drill bar. ( the glass part that you break will show up with the black light ~ it was cool to see that) I was honest with them and I had to fill out the paper since there was a fire for real. The chair got on fire by someone who was smoking. I think that person fell asleep or something. I dont remember.

Oh yeah.. that's right.. I forgot about the chemicals.. it even spills on your clothes too.

at least you were honest!

One of my old friends complained about one time at RIT where he was on fifth floor of the dorm and a fire alarm went off... he cannot use the elevator so he HAD to walk all way down in middle of a December night.

I remembered he told me that there was like 80+ fire alarms in one quarter.

This was back in... 2003 or 2004...

Also some fire alarms do have "paint" that sprayed your hand to catch you "red-hand"... :)

I lived on the 12th floor of Ellingson and when there were fire alarms, I walked down and didn't want to bother with the elevators when going back up, so I walked back up.
One time Campus Safety checked people's hands for the color stuff from the alarm.

yea this morning was damn cold ! just 32F at 7am... brr brr ! at least i m wearing wool sweater... ahhh warm enuf...

for fucks sake!

the new strobe lights at gally are so fucking bright, they cut through a folded towl!. you can put your pillow over your face and some sliver of light will still stab your eyeball and make you want to get out! it happens every month...normally when i NEED my sleep!

Then come to RIT!

Ellingson (Tower A) has improved a lot since 2000. They used to have about 30 fire alarms per quarter. After the dorms were renovated in 2000, the fire alarms decreased greatly. Now, there's about 1 to 3 per quarter. I was there for 3 fire alarms last year. ;)

I guess it's because of the new security cameras that they have installed at every exit.

when i was in school (not college).. I live in dorm... if theres alarm going off.. im always always last person to come out of dorm.. i cant wake up if theres flashing lights.. even it was soooo bright! not workin for me... now im not in school anymore, i got alarm that has flashing lights, and vibration... vibration broken.. just great cuz i can not wake up when its flashing... so my bf had to wake me up hahh..

VamPyroX said:
Then come to RIT!

Ellingson (Tower A) has improved a lot since 2000. They used to have about 30 fire alarms per quarter. After the dorms were renovated in 2000, the fire alarms decreased greatly. Now, there's about 1 to 3 per quarter. I was there for 3 fire alarms last year. ;)

I guess it's because of the new security cameras that they have installed at every exit.

RATS!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish they had it done back in the 80's . Geez wheez!!!!!!!!! Kicking their butt for waking me up in the middle of the nite living on the 11th floor in Tower A :pissed:

Back