Fire Drills at Gallaudet University

Jellybean

Reaction score
I'm hearing and was wondering what happens if a fire drill goes off in the middle of the night in the dorms at Gallaudet University. How do people know to get out of the dorms if they can't hear a fire alarm or see lights flashing because they are asleep?

BTW, I visited Gallaudet in February and I absolutely loved it! I have the mascot "doll" and a postcard in my china closet at home and display with much happiness. If I could sign well and could afford to pursue another degree, I'd consider going there. The campus is pretty.

Well, the light are very very very bright, and for those who are heavy sleeper and cant see the light someone else who did wake up and see or heard it will wake up the other.. Its all cooperation.

Trust me, the alarm lights are pretty strong... and keeps going on and on... and if you don't wake up, an irate RA will shake yo' ass awake.

At my school, I was one of only a handful of dhh kids.....the RA in my section or the RA on duty would come and get me....I also had a flashing light alarm in my room....when you're not hearing, you become sensative to the input that your other senses give you....and I know of some other (hearing) kids who said they couldn't hear the alarm either.

Like what the posters says, the light flasher is very very bright. I never really depend on the flasher when I was growing up.. I always use the vibrator but when I joined Gallaudet, I had to get use to the flasher. We've had so many fire alarms going off, almost everyday! the RA will come and check each room to make sure you're outta there.. if you're there ignoring it or hiding in a closet, you'll be fined.

Rebelgirl, you said there was a vibrator for an alarm? What do you do, wear it like a beaper or a cell phone or something? Just curious.

Oh wow. I should get one of those. As I said, I'm hearing, but when I'm asleep, it's as if I'm dead to the world. I am a HEAVY sleeper! zzzzzzzz

Trust me, It's very very bright, beats lightning! and also the sound will go off too... You'll be up in no time! Be sure you have your robe and slippers in handy at all times!

ever notice that what's helpful for disabled folks can also be benifical for people without disabilties? Like curb cuts for bikers, baby carriages, the vibrating alarm for deaf.....I've seen the shakeawake being advertised in hearing/mainstream magazines!

/points at the bruises her RA gave her pinching her legs trying to wake her up

I never got a fine though lol :) I hated the fire alarms if I actually woke up to it, I always fell on the floor because bright alarm + darkness + bad balance = makes you feel like yer swirling outta it . . . yea and i was drugged up back then :sure:

RebelGirl said:
Trust me, It's very very bright, beats lightning! and also the sound will go off too...
Actually, my girlfriend said she usually doesn't notice the flashing fire alarms. Which makes her even more pissed that the school forces her to live in the room she does - the flashing alarms don't do her any good. Every time there's been a fire drill, one of her roommates has had to get her.

Oh gosh those bring back my memories. My first year was horrible almost every nite. Geez. Most of the times was prank. Damn them! :pissed: Sometime 2 or 3 times during the nite.

During my second year was that bad but there was no flasher cuz of the older building. I even complaint about it. One time there was fire alram going off. My roommate and I was still in the room. We were kinda drunk but I heard the alarm going off by putting my ears on the floor which I hate noise while I tried to get some sleep. So I woke up and woke up my roommate. As we left the room and we saw no one on the floor and found everybody was out of the building. We were the last people to be out. Sure there was a real fire at that time. The fire was below my floor. I was so pissed and wondering where the heck the RA. I file complaint again. Geez they got trouble already. By the end of the year there was no more RA on my floor cuz they got kicked out. So had to use the one upstair. :crazy:

Hey Deafbiker - this is off subject, but what is your little green faced man signing? Those little faced signing faces are so cute. :)

darkangel8603 said:
doesnt student who pull the fire alarm get in trouble?

Oh yeah, of course, there's a large fine.. only if the student get caught in the act.. or someone witness it

ksbsnowowl said:
Actually, my girlfriend said she usually doesn't notice the flashing fire alarms. Which makes her even more pissed that the school forces her to live in the room she does - the flashing alarms don't do her any good. Every time there's been a fire drill, one of her roommates has had to get her.

I guess it just depends how sensitive your sleeping is.. She must be a deep sleeper. Am I right? :dunno:

Jellybean said:
Hey Deafbiker - this is off subject, but what is your little green faced man signing? Those little faced signing faces are so cute. :)

I think it means "jack off" as in hmm who cares or duh.. that's my definition for it.. but varies on how others think.

Back