Excuse me.... Shopping

That's why I always make sure I'm not in anyone's way and also do my best to be aware of my surroundings.

Even hearing people have annoying habits of doing things like that where they block other people's path.

For instance, I'll be at the mall. While walking, this couple in front of me suddenly stop and start talking. The way they're standing, it takes up half of the path and the other half is occupied by people walking the opposite direction. Another thing would be where people are standing in the middle of a walkway while talking on their cell phones. If you're going to talk and/or not walk, get out of the way! Argh!

yeah, I usually try to get out of people's way, but when a narrow aisle of a grocery store, you have people coming in and blocking the other side. I was already there looking at labels (I can't just grab and go, my son has food related eczema on eggs and nuts). I felt that is she couldn't get me to hear, don't yell at me, ask the other person to move.

If a sales clerk or a cashier is rude to you, I strongly suggest you complain to the store manager. You could also suggest to the manager that the person get training on how to serve customers with disabilities.

Here's a funny story for you. This happened when I had more hearing than I have now (and I am now "legally deaf"). I met some deafies at a fast food restuarant where you place your order at the counter and then they tell you to sit and they will call out your name. One of the deafies told them she couldn't hear so they might as well just bring her order to her. As the deafies and I were chatting (ASL), I heard one of the workers yell, "The order for those two ladies is ready".

I told the deafies what had happened and told them "let's see what they do when they remember you are deaf". A few minutes later, I heard, "Hey, the order for those two ladies is ready." And then a few minutes later, they yelled, "The order for the two deaf ladies is ready." Then finally, one of them steps out to where the deafies could see him, waves at them, and points to the counter. When I told the manager what had happened, he was extremely embarrassed and told me to let the deafies know that would never happen again. And if it did, those employees would be looking for a new job.

Today, I went to Burlingtons and I was waiting in a looonnng line to exchange my boots (too small) at the customer service area. A lady cut in line so I yelled at her saying that the line goes way back adn she started yelling at me saying that she only has a question that was all. I said that I did the same but a lady yelled at me saying the line goes way back there. I told her that it wasnt right. The lady behind me was saying something too so I turned and said excuse me and she said "I was telling you that good for you to tell that woman off." Then she saw my hearing aid and asked me if I was hearing impaired (yea yea yea that dreaded label but I didnt make a fuss) and I told her yes and she yelled at the lady who cut in line saying "That hearing impaired woman wants you to move back to the line." OMG..how embarassing. I can speak for myself...geez!

Last edited:
shel90

:jaw:

That's unbelievable!

I feel you there tho, has had it happened to me and it was so humiliating.

Daft, curious, do you really consider deafness a disability? Also, what is "legally" deaf?

Man, I have tried to avoid the shopping, exchanging, and stay where the clerks know me. Some here are very good, others - pbflllttt!

I have found that I dont really need a shopping companion, just for fun only. I do get my feelings hurt sometimes by rude people. Clerks or rude shoppers.... Geeez. I usually just give em the Granny Look while showing a hearing aid (if I have them on at all). They either freeze or melt. lol

Jiro is correct, it happens to everyone.

Oooohh yea I hate it when people stop walking right infront of me in the mall!!! I walk fast (it was ingrained during HS with only 4-5 minute passing periods and long distances) and when people do that I have to halt on the brakes!

At the grocery store, even as a hearie, can't always hear if someone is speaking. I had this woman tap her foot right behind me as I was searching for a specific brand of syrup my mom wanted. I just gave her this tight smile like hmm yea... you can stop that now...

When I worked retail, I tried to keep eye contact mainly because the store was required to play music pretty loud and I had troubles hearing some people and their requests (like teenaged girls the too-soft spoken ones that try too hard), so I have to read their lips. It came in particularly good use at Starbucks during the holidays last year over 2 blenders, 2 espresso machines, 2 registers, and about 7 coworkers all talking LOL.

There are people, there are rude people and then there are the exceptionally rude people. :lol:

Daft, curious, do you really consider deafness a disability? Also, what is "legally" deaf?

Man, I have tried to avoid the shopping, exchanging, and stay where the clerks know me. Some here are very good, others - pbflllttt!

I have found that I dont really need a shopping companion, just for fun only. I do get my feelings hurt sometimes by rude people. Clerks or rude shoppers.... Geeez. I usually just give em the Granny Look while showing a hearing aid (if I have them on at all). They either freeze or melt. lol

Nanna, that's what I wondering, maybe there is a thing such as illegally deaf :giggle: joke aside. let hope the poster tells us

Legally Deaf - having so much hearing loss that one needs an interpreter for meetings, classes, etc. I consider myself HoH because I can hear voice when a person speaks loudly (but that doesn't mean I can fully understand the person because I do miss some of the words). But I can't follow a conversation with background noise or more than one person speaking.

A few years ago, I took a class at an area community college. I asked for an interpreter for the class. The college required me to obtain a note from my doctor or audiologist stating that I am "legally deaf". Went to my doctor and I simply stated I needed a note for an interpreter, he simply that I am "legally deaf and requires the services of an interpreter". Gave the note to the college and was able to obtain an interpreter.

Daft, curious, do you really consider deafness a disability?

In the context of the ADA, yes I would consider deafness a disability. I believe the Deaf deserve full and equal rights as everyone else.

Do I consider a Deaf person to be disabled, no.

Hey! Be nice to Daft! He or she told me Iowa is their place of residence.

Soon we will be best friends!:wave:

Legally Deaf - having so much hearing loss that one needs an interpreter for meetings, classes, etc. I consider myself HoH because I can hear voice when a person speaks loudly (but that doesn't mean I can fully understand the person because I do miss some of the words). But I can't follow a conversation with background noise or more than one person speaking.

A few years ago, I took a class at an area community college. I asked for an interpreter for the class. The college required me to obtain a note from my doctor or audiologist stating that I am "legally deaf". Went to my doctor and I simply stated I needed a note for an interpreter, he simply that I am "legally deaf and requires the services of an interpreter". Gave the note to the college and was able to obtain an interpreter.

In the context of the ADA, yes I would consider deafness a disability. I believe the Deaf deserve full and equal rights as everyone else.

Do I consider a Deaf person to be disabled, no.

Right on!!!

Wasnt I asking nicely? Sorry! Didn't mean to be rude at all. The phrase caught my eye, and after all, inquiring Grannies need to know. I learned something.
1. Lissa has a funny.
2. What Legally Deaf is. (Never knew there was a threshold)
3. Iowa has some very nice folks. (grin)

This thread is why I love on-line shopping so much! ;)

Back