Educational Choices?

Kris

Reaction score
What are your opinions and feelings toward the different types of schools or educational systems? What are the advantages and disadvantages of those systems? And how do you choose a school or program? This applies to all levels of education, but especially to elementary , middle and high school. Is mainstreaming a good option? Which do you see more of? Any liks to other reports on education welcome. :ty: for any input! :type:

What are your opinions and feelings toward the different types of schools or educational systems? What are the advantages and disadvantages of those systems? And how do you choose a school or program? This applies to all levels of education, but especially to elementary , middle and high school. Is mainstreaming a good option? Which do you see more of? Any liks to other reports on education welcome. :ty: for any input! :type:
Hi Kris. I recently came across a site that had a ton of information on the subject so I created several threads with links to the abstracts and full articles. These are mostly from the Oxford Journals which I belive to be a reliable objective source. I know there is a lot of information there and it will take you some time to sift through it. I hope this is helpful to you. Just click on the links below to access the threads and information. Happy reading.

The use of ASL to support development of english literacy

Educating children who are deaf or hard of hearing

In the Best Interests of the Children

Deaf Education

Deaf and Special Education Resources

HLAA Convention Keynote

Planning for Literacy Instruction Considering Methods and Approaches

Sign Language and Oralism

Multi-lingual Multi-culural schools

Considerations in educating deaf and hard of hearing students in inclusive settings

Implications of Utilizing Phonics-Based Reading Curriculum With Children Who Are Deaf

A Study of the Relationship Between American Sign Language and English Literacy

Working Memory for Sign Language

Social Processes and Outcomes of In-School Contact Between Deaf and Hearing Peers

Speech Intelligibility, Loneliness, and Sense of Coherence Among Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Children in Individual Inclusion and Group Inclusion

Early Manual Communication in Relation to the Deaf Child's Intellectual, Social, and Communicative Functioning

Educational Interpreters and Access to Education for Deaf and HOH Students

Rhyme Generation in Deaf Students: The Effect of Exposure to Cued Speech

Alternate Assessments Based on Modified Academic Achievement Standards

Can the Linguistic Interdependence Theory Support A Bi-Bi Model of Literacy education

Survey of Bi-Bi programs - Empirical Article

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kris. I recently came across a site that had a ton of information on the subject so I created several threads with links to the abstracts and full articles. These are mostly from the Oxford Journals which I belive to be a reliable objective source. I know there is a lot of information there and it will take you some time to sift through it. I hope this is helpful to you. Just click on the links below to access the threads and information. Happy reading.

Rockdrummer,
:ty::ty: so much for all the links. This will certainly keep me busy for a while!:giggle:

Rock Drummer,
Thanks again. I have begun to look at some of the links. But what I see looks to be very helpful. I applaud your dedication to research! It will benifit many people.

To any others, I would also like some personal opinions from those who have attended any type of school and how they felt about their education. This will help balance all the research papers.

Thanks again:bowdown:

Kris,
You are very welcome and helping others is exactly why I put the information on this site. I only wish I knew 10 years ago what I know now. What I believe you will find is controversy surrounding the best methods to educate a deaf child. I am not here to sway you in any direction and would recommend that you go into it objectivly and listen to all views before you decide. And one view that you can't do without is the view of the deaf community which is what I believe you are seeking here. Even within the deaf community you will find there are various opinions.

My opinion for what it's worth is to take an holistic approach that addresses all of the needs of the child and not just the ability to communicate with the hearing world. Consider the social, emotional, psycological and developmental needs when making a decision. I'm sure I have missed something and would defer to others on this board that have more knowledge and experience than I. In any event I wish you the best and would only say don't make any decisions until you are confortable that you have educated yourself on the impacts of any of the available choices.

Kris,
You are very welcome and helping others is exactly why I put the information on this site. I only wish I knew 10 years ago what I know now. What I believe you will find is controversy surrounding the best methods to educate a deaf child. I am not here to sway you in any direction and would recommend that you go into it objectivly and listen to all views before you decide. And one view that you can't do without is the view of the deaf community which is what I believe you are seeking here. Even within the deaf community you will find there are various opinions.

My opinion for what it's worth is to take an holistic approach that addresses all of the needs of the child and not just the ability to communicate with the hearing world. Consider the social, emotional, psycological and developmental needs when making a decision. I'm sure I have missed something and would defer to others on this board that have more knowledge and experience than I. In any event I wish you the best and would only say don't make any decisions until you are confortable that you have educated yourself on the impacts of any of the available choices.

Well said, rd, well said!:cheers:

Kris you got some heavy duty reading to do lol... But as for me I experiences public mainstream school and did pretty well with an interpreter. But later I went to a deaf high school in D.C., Both school are good that I been to. But sometimes I have noticed some deaf schools don't always have the same level of educations like the public schools. :)

Mainstreaming tends to be pushed as this magical utopia.
I also hate hate hate hate how some parents make it seem like if you can't get good accomondations/programming for your student you're lazy.
I really think that the gross majority of dhh (as well as blind/low vision, and physical disablity) students need to start out in a school specificly for their disabilty, and THEN transistion to mainstreaming.
Even most general EI programs tend to be targeted towards kids with just general developmental disablities. (ie MR/LD/physical issues like CP)
I think too that kids with disabilites should have to pass an entrance exam to attend public school. Just so that, kneejerk mainstream placement doesn't happen. Mainstreaming isn't always the best place.
To parents of kids with disabilites..........Be openminded as to academic placement. As I've stated before mainstreaming does have its downsides.
They don't always know how to educate kids like us, and a lot of times we get lumped in with the "Ummmmm who's President Bush?" types out there if we don't suceed with minimal accomondations.

Mainstreaming tends to be pushed as this magical utopia.
I also hate hate hate hate how some parents make it seem like if you can't get good accomondations/programming for your student you're lazy.
I really think that the gross majority of dhh (as well as blind/low vision, and physical disablity) students need to start out in a school specificly for their disabilty, and THEN transistion to mainstreaming.
Even most general EI programs tend to be targeted towards kids with just general developmental disablities. (ie MR/LD/physical issues like CP)
I think too that kids with disabilites should have to pass an entrance exam to attend public school. Just so that, kneejerk mainstream placement doesn't happen. Mainstreaming isn't always the best place.
To parents of kids with disabilites..........Be openminded as to academic placement. As I've stated before mainstreaming does have its downsides.
They don't always know how to educate kids like us, and a lot of times we get lumped in with the "Ummmmm who's President Bush?" types out there if we don't suceed with minimal accomondations.

Public schools not so bad, since i did well with an interpreter. But the problem with public schools or mainstream schools is that hearing teachers were not educated enough about how to commuicate with young kids and teenagers with their disablities and commuications. But I tell you one thing good about it because they don't make me go far behind with the education level as a deaf school would. It all denpend on where you to school. I have seen and been around deaf schools education programs is not that great. Sorry to say that most deaf schools don't always follow the same educations level as normal hearing students have. :)

Public schools not so bad, since i did well with an interpreter. But the problem with public schools or mainstream schools is that hearing teachers were not educated enough about how to commuicate with young kids and teenagers with their disablities and commuications. But I tell you one thing good about it because they don't make me go far behind with the education level as a deaf school would. It all denpend on where you to school. I have seen and been around deaf schools education programs is not that great. Sorry to say that most deaf schools don't always follow the same educations level as normal hearing students have. :)

That has begun to change somewhat in recent times. Many, if not most, now follow the public school curriculum. Part of that is because many deaf kids now attend deaf schools out of their public school home districts.

That problem is becoming old news. I work for a deaf school and we use the public school's curriculm. I am teaching exactly what teachers are teaching hearing students with little modifications to make it more visual so the deaf children have full access to language and the curriculm content.

I was mainstreamed in an oral only environment with all hearing children all the way to high school except for my pre school years which was in an oral deaf ed program. It was hell simple as that.

yes, garenttigarmom,
deaf schools are getting better education wise. There are some really good ones now!

Kris,

Rockdrummer,
I think you are right. It is not just the education but the whole person and all that goes with it. Thanks again.

Rockdrummer,
I think you are right. It is not just the education but the whole person and all that goes with it. Thanks again.
You are quite welcome and thanks also to those on this board that have helped me to understand many of the things I would have never considered without their unique insight and experience. I wish you and your family all the best and I commend you for seeking out information on choices prior to making any decisions. I know from my experience the information is not always easy to find which is why I posted so much of it here.

All the best!!

My 2 cents

I think this comment is somewhat related to this thread:

Formal school is not the only way to an education.

Many, many kids--some with challenges--learn best and get a fantastic education when home schooled. Social interaction can be even better in church, scouts, 4-H, community sports, and clubs.

I went to college and graduate school late in life. The reason I excelled even though hard of hearing was self-education--reading, reading, reading and paying attention to how better books are written. By the time I started higher education on the GI Bill, I was pretty good at English (my major) and fairly up on history (my minor).

Until the twentieth century, that's how most scholars earned advanced degrees--reading in the discipline until ready to test for it.

Sorry to say that most deaf schools don't always follow the same educations level as normal hearing students have. :)

The deaf school in my local area didn't even have any leaving exams. However, this was in the 1980's. They tended to push most HOH kids and some profoundly deaf into oral only programs so the signing deaf schools were just for kids that couldn't cope with that and many had multiple disabilities.

Not that the oral only kids at the unit did any better. They may, in theory be placed in regular classes where kids could take exams but they were mainly in bottom stream classes. A handful of lower grade CSE's really isn't worth bothering about so they may as well not taken anything either.

Back