Earmold Allergies

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some people have a bad reaction to earmolds, Has anyone had this happen to them?

I know it's possible... but I don't know anyone who is. :dunno:

I was allergic to clear mold back in 60's so I used pink earmold instead.

Hi, I got allergy from them because it turns out I was using earmolds that were not hypoallergenic. My ears became itchy and red. A simple switch to hypoallergenic earmolds solved the problem :). Also, to get the redness to heal, my ear doctor had this instruction where you mix equal parts alcohol and vinegar and heat it for 20 seconds. Then, you use an ear pump over the tub for a week or so. It's to clear off debris causing allergies. It works wonder.

DISCLAIMER: Please consult with your doctor before you try out the alcohol and vineger. Thanks! :D

No I haven't but I have read that Jaime Berke, Guide of About.com: Deafness/Hard-of-Hearing (she's deaf) did. Here's the link to her article about her personal experience with earmolds and her allergy to silicone earmolds, plus an article about earmold allergies: http://deafness.about.com/od/earmolds

Cheri said:
Some people have a bad reaction to earmolds, Has anyone had this happen to them?

Yes, I'm one of them. :( Ever since childhood I've had continual problems with ear infections and my ears feeling itchy or congested/full. After my audi switched me to hypoallergenic earmolds, the ear infections decreased, I no longer experienced congestion/fullness and the itchiness stopped. I don't know how I would have made it all these years without hypoallergenic earmolds. They've really been a godsend. :)

About 1991, My left ear had bad blister and akind of burn, it was very pain when I itched my ear real bad after I had my new hearing aids. I had a liquid medicine drops in my left ear to heal it. After a while, blister kept come back, so I had to stop wear hearing aids.

I have not.....I have my hearing aid on my left ear. My right ear is not good.

im allergic...need to find audiologist to get me a new earmold (hypoallergic) and new hearing aid! mine is 13 yrs and running.....but the new ones cost a fortune!!!!!

ravensteve1961 said:
Do you hear clogging when you get earmold allergies?

If you have that problem, then you gotta call the plumber to deal with your earmolds. :dunno:

the only problem ive had was when they made both moulds to big for my ears... one only needed a little adjustment.... but the other caused me so much pain it made my ear bleed takeing it in and out... i have pretty deep moulds for some innane reason... what i did is went back to my clinic... demanded they be changed... and well... they fixed one and changed the other

somepeople i know have developed like a heat rash because their moulds ahve caused their ears to sweat.... that looks like a rash and can itch like hell... i sugest a little bit of talk every now and again on the ear peice..... also... if you feel the mould getting sticky... take it out and wipe it on a peice of tissue... :)

one i first got my hearing aid and ear mold my ear was red,itchy,painful, and it hurt my brain and i think part of it was my brain was not use to it and it was more hearing that i never had in my life, it put me in tears and i cried. i am doing good now and my ear mold is not giving me any problems.
i got my new hearing aid march 30,2005. i got my first hearing aid and that was in october 2001 and it was a loaner hearing aid and i gave it back and it feels good to have my own hearing aid.

I have a bit of allergy of the blue foam-like earmold I had. It caused me itch my ear like crazy sometimes....I have the tan earmold now...:)

I never thought that maybe other people might be allergic to ear molds. I have been having problems with my ear itching, red, crusty and drives me batty!! :pissed: Dang, I been wearing it since I was 6 years old. 40 now.

Guess I need to check out other kinds of earmolds.

Back