Duggars Family... When Will It End?

Good luck and hope this baby won't have any problems. It seems I know everyone who got pregnant after 45 ended up having child with health issues.

Ok it's more like 5 to 6 dollars per pound. :P

Holy smokes.

I can buy them for around $1.99 to $2.99 per pound from a local business. They make the world's best bacon and that's saying something.

Holy smokes.

I can buy them for around $1.99 to $2.99 per pound from a local business. They make the world's best bacon and that's saying something.

You can see why I don't buy bacon very often. :P

You can see why I don't buy bacon very often. :P

I know it used to be very expensive to buy bacon in Europe before, I don't know if they still are though. They treat you like a king if you buy a few pounds of bacon.

I know it used to be very expensive to buy bacon in Europe before, I don't know if they still are though. They treat you like a king if you buy a few pounds of bacon.

I'll have to try that if I ever go to Europe.

I don't think I will want to eat an Irish breakfast anytime soon though. When I look at that, I'm like golly how am I going to eat THAT? All I can think of is heartburn when I look at Irish breakfasts.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised, poultry products are much cheaper compared to pork and beef.

And are generally the most disgusting from the raising all the way through the evisceration, processing, further processing, and deboning. If you knew where your chicken came from you wouldn't eat near as much of it .

I've got some turkey bacon in the fridge. Hope it's a good substititute.

Dixie, if I knew the truth, I'd probably be a vegetarian.

And are generally the most disgusting from the raising all the way through the evisceration, processing, further processing, and deboning. If you knew where your chicken came from you wouldn't eat near as much of it .

The same could be said about beef with all the antibiotics and hormones they inject into the cows these days. However, I prefer chicken breasts to chicken strips and nuggets since these are much more processed.

The same could be said about beef with all the antibiotics and hormones they inject into the cows these days. However, I prefer chicken breasts to chicken strips and nuggets since these are much more processed.

98% of all chickens and eggs in Canada come from battery cage farming. It's pretty brutal and very unhealthy.

I've got some turkey bacon in the fridge. Hope it's a good substititute.

Dixie, if I knew the truth, I'd probably be a vegetarian.

Let me show you where your chicken begins and you'll show me where it will end, either in the trash or in your stomach.

Turkey is still considered poultry by USDA-FSIS. They have the same inspection sheet as broiler chickens. Only difference is for the turkey the lines run slower and the young turkey box would be marked on the sheet.

98% of all chickens and eggs in Canada come from battery cage farming. It's pretty brutal and very unhealthy.

Yes, it's astonishing how they cage up all of the chickens with no room to breathe or move around. It's brutal.

Let me show you where your chicken begins and you'll show me where it will end, either in the trash or in your stomach.

No need to show me anything, I've seen it. It's not a pretty sight.

Not unless it comes from Tyson. I found out that Tyson has a company-wide policy forbading battery cage hens. That's the only good thing I can say about them right now.

Cal-Maine? They are pro-battery cage all the way.

I don't know about Purdue, Pilgrim's Pride, Wayne Farms, or Carolina though I am sure they utilize both methods. Wayne Farms around here does the confined range breeder hen houses for eggs.

I say you get better eggs and better production if you do confined range breeder hen farms. This is how our farms are set up. I have a pic of the inside of the chicken houses somewhere on my iPhone and maybe up on FB somewhere but I will see.

In our chicken houses there are multiple levels. The birds have free movement within the confines of the chicken house, they are NOT confined to a cage. They have a large 500ft by 50ft area to roam in. In the older houses which are only 400ft by 40ft, there are roughly 8,000 birds. In the new houses it is roughly somewhere between 11,000-12,000 birds. The chickens 'migrate' in the houses. When they want to pack up together they can, when they want to spread out they can. There is plenty of room for them to stretch out and flap their wings. I know because I've had hens flip out and fly up in my face, not fun, but at least I know they have a more normal existence than those in battery cage farms. The chickens have a dust bathing area in the middle of the house that runs the entire length of the house, they have places they can roost, they have nest boxes so the hens can do their egg laying business naturally, they have separate feed bins from the hens and roosters so they don't fight each other for food. The roosters can't get into the hen feed and the hens can't get into the rooster feed.

I'm not saying it's perfect but it's a step in the right direction. I would change it so that the chickens would have access to actually being outside in the sunlight to get vitamin D naturally which would probably increase the quality of the eggs. I would like to see better ways of obtaining necessary samples from the chickens every quarter, more humane ways, and also a better way of keeping the general living areas more sanitary instead of the chickens having to be in there literally standing on a slat above their feces. If there was a way this could be efficiently pumped out of the house and used as a constant fertilizer for grass/hay that would be great. Your making use of a by-product of breeder hens - waste.

I would also have fewer birds per house. I'm thinking no more than 10,000 tops in a 500x50 house. Anything more than that and I feel like I'm swimming in a sea of birds.

And possibly add a third level on the back of the slats so the birds could spread out further or perch higher if they wanted.

It's frightening because the last baby was under 1-1/2 pounds. Why do that again? And this time the baby might have a genetic defect because the mother is so old.

mostly old moms can have baby at 40's or 50's no matters how ages is like Michelle does till she chose have tube ties its her chose but 19 children too much!!

Back