Driving & Looking Away

VamPyroX

bloody phreak from hell
Reaction score
Can you drive and look away at the same time?

What I mean is... you're driving and you look at a McDonalds that passes by... then look back to the road.

Or... you're driving and your pager vibrates. You look down to see who paged you then look back at the road?

I can drive and look away at the same time.

I know some people who can't. I knew a guy who ALWAYS drives to the right whenever he isn't looking at the road. He's already damaged his tires several times and been in a couple accidents. (This was because he was looking at his Sidekick.) Even today, he still hasn't learned his lesson. :roll:

I can look away and drive at the same time, only for a few seconds...not too long. I like to look around, of course I make sure I keep eye on the road.

I can look away and drive at the same time, only for a few seconds...not too long. I like to look around, of course I make sure I keep eye on the road.
That's something everyone should be able to do. People who can do that can develop good sense of direction and be aware of everything that goes on around them.

There were a few times when I would be giving directions to people on how to get to some place. For instance, I'm telling them where Taco Bell is that we're meeting for dinner. One guy nodded that he understood, but ended up passing Taco Bell and going for several miles before realizing that he might have been lost. I told him that when he passes this street, Taco Bell was on the right. Unfortunately, he couldn't look away without crashing the car. So, he kept his eyes forward 100% and never noticed the Taco Bell. :roll:

Looking around is the most important tool, that is what you are scanning for: Hazards. It is not good, if you didn't.

damn... sounds like a poor hand-to-eye coordination. or.... he's just a bad driver. You should be driving. I can easily switch back and forth but with good judgment. If I were on local roads - I pay attention and drive slow because local road means high chance of any suddenness - like a kid/dog/idiot walking across without looking both way.

I can do that..

also My leg can control the Steer wheel while I am signs with two hands to passage :giggle:

Yes I can drive and look away at the same time...

Spot important thing on the same time I drive... My right eye listen my son's sign language and my left eye while I am still driving... I also watch from mirror what my son sign to me, too...

I can look away for a few seconds while driving same time. Only thing I won't do is going on Sidekick and driving same time.

I can look away for a few seconds while driving same time. Only thing I won't do is going on Sidekick and driving same time.

Oh yes, I forget about sidekick... Yes, I don't use mobile phone while I am driving...

Can you drive and look away at the same time?

What I mean is... you're driving and you look at a McDonalds that passes by... then look back to the road.

Or... you're driving and your pager vibrates. You look down to see who paged you then look back at the road?

I can drive and look away at the same time.

I know some people who can't. I knew a guy who ALWAYS drives to the right whenever he isn't looking at the road. He's already damaged his tires several times and been in a couple accidents. (This was because he was looking at his Sidekick.) Even today, he still hasn't learned his lesson. :roll:

Yes and no. I tend to swerve if I'm looking down as opposed to side by side. I've always wondered why that is. But if I'm changing lanes or whatever, looking behind my shoulder, or turning my head to look out the window, I can still keep the wheel straight. Now if I turn my head to talk to someone in the front seat and get too involved in the conversation, we're talking "SWERVE CITY" here! I absolutely CANNOT have a conversation with anyone in the car without swerving because I depend so much on lipreading!

That's something everyone should be able to do. People who can do that can develop good sense of direction and be aware of everything that goes on around them.

There were a few times when I would be giving directions to people on how to get to some place. For instance, I'm telling them where Taco Bell is that we're meeting for dinner. One guy nodded that he understood, but ended up passing Taco Bell and going for several miles before realizing that he might have been lost. I told him that when he passes this street, Taco Bell was on the right. Unfortunately, he couldn't look away without crashing the car. So, he kept his eyes forward 100% and never noticed the Taco Bell. :roll:

Are you serious?! I never thought LICENSED drivers wouldn't be able to look around without wrecking their cars! I mean, that's a huge requirement in being able to drive! Did you know that drunk people usually look straight ahead and that's why they end up having accidents?! You HAVE to look around from time to time. That's funny. :)

I can put a blindfold and drive...

lol

I can drive and look away for a few seconds. its in my nature to look around.. the street names, stores, I pretty much memorize most of the things that are around me. I tend to use my legs to steer when i'm on my BB... only to read my bb and a brief texting.

I have an Evil habit of driving while looking down while looking foward at the corner of my eye to get something or typing on a sidekick (now BB Curve changed everything cuz I had to re-learn it's new keyboard). I uses my legs control the steering while looking down. It is easier when the road is straight. I can't fare well on winding road. I was typing and reading sk2 while doing 75mph on straight highway for many miles cuz I knew the highway very well. Didn't have any close calls until I got BB curve and I stopped doing it immedialy. I didn't have plm with driving while signing while legs control steering. Now I don't do much.

Catty

From some of the other replies I've read, it seems like some of us really have a problem with MULTI-TASKING!!! :eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3:

We deafie are very much like hearings in multi-tasking. This is one of the most DANGEROUS behavior while driving. Law Enforcement are clamping down on multi-tasking. But still I DO see cops multi-tasks too (I caught several Cops red-handed with cellphone glued to ear.. HEY!!!! :eek2:). We of course all trying to cram time to get things done before we get home or work :lol: I've seen driver glued on cellphone and went through stop sign without looking, Luckily, I stayed put and watch car go by me :eek2: .

Catty

The law enforcement have the permission to use the cellphones while driving, but crazy, eh!

Back