Drive-Thru vs. Walk-In

ChelEler

Reaction score
A few days ago, I experienced some kind of discrimination when I needed to drive thru at Taco John's to order some bean burritos for lunch. I didn't have much time before I get to work, so I used the drive-thru (it had no vehicles waiting and I thought it's faster). Once I got to the Drive-up Window, I told this particular employee that I'm deaf and cannot hear the intercom, so he took my order right there just fine, but then the manager told him not to give me anything, unless I walk in. I was shocked to find that out, and asked that same employee (who took my order) "WHY?" and he said "I don't know.. you'll have to come in and order." I replied, "That's not fair!" and drove away immediately, ignoring any possible reply. That made me feel discriminated, why? Because I have done this many times at this particular drive-thru before, and had no problem getting my food ordered. Why? Do you think it's because of my deafness? Help me out!! At another same company (Taco John's) drive-thru, I didn't have any problem, got the food right away, paid for it, and finally drove away with my food.

What should I do about that to avoid any misunderstanding or any hard-feelings (worse than this)? Should I go ahead and walk in and be late for work? Or what? :squint:

Ha! I would not have driven away. I would have stayed there at the drive through and not moved an inch at all. If they call the police, it will make the police document the case. Then you can have esy evidence and witness for to sue the company. The company would not like that at all. Most of the time I never have problems with drive throughs, but when I do, I simply refuse to move. I just sit there and wait for them to serve me. Usually, they change their mind and serve me.

Good point, but what if you don't have much time? I cannot afford to be late for work. :ugh:

That's discrimation. you are not only one. Happened to one Deaf woman in the past. Her name is Terrylene. Yes, she's actress and played in some movies. She won the lawsuit against Burger King for refuse serve to her thru Drive-Thru in California. Happened around 1990's Not remmy what year.
Let they call the police to get rid of you. To make evidence and prepare with the lawsuit. Make the manager and workers learn hard lessons for not suppose rejection on Deaf and anyone who don't break the rules.
So far, I have no problem with Drive-Thru. None of them rejected on me. For me, I don't mind to be late for work after screw up with the restaurant who refuse serve to me. Just prepare to sue the place for discrimation. Ofc, I ain't interested in $$$.

i agree with Kuifje -- i would just sit there and make them serve me -- if they want to call the police let them :lol: and if other customers happens to come while im sitting there waiting THEY also can wait til i am served my order of food i paid for -- if they chose to call the police fine with me i will point out to the responding officer that the store is being discriminatory and i have every right just like THEM to order food thru the drive thru without having to walk inside the store and itll all be documented :D i definately WOULD file a complaint to the store headquarters and publicize the store and company and embarrass the company's CEOs and other management teams :lol:

HEY That have happened to me in other town called Colorado Spring at Burger King drive through one time around 6pm during the winter time... the employee and manager refused to let me order anything and they said u need to come in. I said WHAT THE FUCk WHY! I told them that I am deaf and must have equal access right! They said no sorry and ignore me and luckily there were cars behind me... so I lost my temper and got out of the car and put my head in the opener thing I hope u know what i mean anyway I told them to give me the damn food and I'll pay and go away, they said no... so I decide to get in the car and honk the horn for long time until they gave up and gave me the food and I refused to pay and ran off... then a week later I went back to same place and they hurried gave me the food and they deeply apologized for it and I told them if it happen again they will be hearing from BBB and ADA... LOL

Originally posted by pimpdaddyposse
HEY That have happened to me in other town called Colorado Spring at Burger King drive through one time around 6pm during the winter time... the employee and manager refused to let me order anything and they said u need to come in. I said WHAT THE FUCk WHY! I told them that I am deaf and must have equal access right! They said no sorry and ignore me and luckily there were cars behind me... so I lost my temper and got out of the car and put my head in the opener thing I hope u know what i mean anyway I told them to give me the damn food and I'll pay and go away, they said no... so I decide to get in the car and honk the horn for long time until they gave up and gave me the food and I refused to pay and ran off... then a week later I went back to same place and they hurried gave me the food and they deeply apologized for it and I told them if it happen again they will be hearing from BBB and ADA... LOL

tsk tsk tsk PDP -- getting food and running off doesnt make YOU look good -- they couldve called the police and said u stiffed the store and they would hide the fact that they did discriminate against u -- that time u were damn luckee but then luck doesnt go a very long way

:shock: @ all posts. Wow, perhaps, next time if it happens again at the same place, I'll do what you did, staying there until I get served.

One more question.... what if the police show up and told me to move on without getting what I want, what should I do? Did that happen to you before?

It never happened to me that they called the police.
The restaurant will tell you they will call police if you don't move, but I tell them: "And then you will make an ass out of yourselves for breaking a federal law granting equal access to disabled customers." They usually :shock: and serve me anyway.

I remember when I went to MacDonald's once, and a teenager girl was taking orders. We drove up to the first window, and she looked at us with some major attitude. I just smiled and said: "Excuse me, but I am deaf. Obviously I cannot hear, so I am ordering here." She got mad and refused to serve. So, I just stayed there and told her to get a manager.

The manager came in and looked at the girl like "Dumbass!" and apologised to us. The manager gave us free ice cream to make up for the stupid behaviour of the cashier.

Wow, what amazing story you got out there. It happen to me when I stop at Sonic and prepare to write the paper for what I want order the food. I jump out the door and walk toward to the sonic door. :shock: The door is lock and then the woman open the door, :ugh: "What ya need?" I gave that paper to lady with:roll: at me. They should provide the screen touch to order for drive thru. I heard rumor that some states have screen tough for order the food? Is that true?

Originally posted by ideafspy
They should provide the screen touch to order for drive thru. I heard rumor that some states have screen tough for order the food? Is that true?

yes ive seen those thingies at a nearby McDonalds around here and go figure its "broken" and u know what ideafspy qq i think theyre just BULLSHITTING saying "broken" when it really isnt -- they just simply dont want to waste the more electricial power in using it or whatever it is :roll:

besides IMO the USA has TOO MANY McDonald's joints and i dont really care for McD's anyhow -- i used to LOVEEEEEEE Roy Rogers that was in business up the road and they didnt have drive thru but the management team there knew me as well as the staff -- they see me in line ask me if i want my usual LOL and im served fast! its now been taken over by stupid Micky D's :roll: and the service there SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i mean SUCKS theyre fucking SLOW :roll:

I never have problem with any fast-food when I go drive-thru. But I usually going in there and take the order. But I have my own reason when I see any fast-food are closed but the drive-thru is still open. I always will take drive-thru and order something.

Ahh, Sonic, thank to my brother, it give me good experience how to handle. I simple push the button several time to bother them like hell until they puzzle and send either assit manager or clerk to come to see what's going on with me. I start make nice order and they take it.

When you have time, call the manager and complain. You could also contact headquarters and file a complaint. Usually, they will apologize and make sure it doesn't happen again. They might even throw in a free meal or two as well. I never really have that problem here in Rochester, NY.

U are not only one. I used to drive in few times when no one busy.... that you told about was :shock: i think it is right but the manager should go back to school to learn how speak to deafies. :lol:

it happen to me so many times during drive thru and i didn't move away until i get my own order and they did call the cops and they come and tell me to move and i say nooo i have to get my order foods so they told them to do it and it work ... and eventhrough they give me allot of discounts on foods ... and that manger was fired !!!

:eek: @ posts :lol: damn I wish there was high techology like a box with tty that we can type in our order maybe be eaiser for deafies to do that then get their order and go cuz some deafies can't hear u know? heh.. oh well I hope things improve sooner or later so deafies can have things easier to get to than waitin in line :P

Fantastic! I know it's not happened to me, but if that ever happened with me -- I will take a page out of some of your posts about refusing to move until I got my orders. ;)
I guess I was lucky in not getting refused at drive throughs at fast food restaurants.
As for McDonald's - I agree Fly! Too many bloody McDonalds! Same problem here in Australia -- we have tooooooooooooooooooooooooo many Maccas here...practically every corner in each town! *smh*
Unfortunately, Australia's keen in Americanising Australia. :(

I don't even see what the big deal is. You're there now, they know what you want. I think it's a power trip thing! You broke the "Rules" and now you must PAY!

Originally posted by jn
I don't even see what the big deal is. You're there now, they know what you want. I think it's a power trip thing! You broke the "Rules" and now you must PAY!

Explain more on what you mean by this. The employee or the customer breaks the rule? Who pay? Explain more clearly please.

Originally posted by ChelEler
Explain more on what you mean by this. The employee or the customer breaks the rule? Who pay? Explain more clearly please.

I mean, you're already at the drive thru window, why can't they just shut up and take your order instead of arguing with you? They are wasting more time arguing with you than they would spend just giving you what you asked for and sending you along the way.

So, I think that they are arguing with you because they think you are breaking some rules of society, or something, so they like to impose their little ego on you.

Remember, when we were 6? "ooh teacher! he's breaking the rules!"

Back