Down with the "End of The World" movies!!!!!

Kaja

Reaction score
Okay pop-quizz kiddies!

name all the end of the world movies you can think of I don't care howmany times you say 2012 because it's true! so let me start!

the day after tomorrow
Indipendance day

Okay pop-quizz kiddies!

name all the end of the world movies you can think of I don't care howmany times you say 2012 because it's true! so let me start!

the day after tomorrow
Indipendance day

My List:
The Day the Earth Stood Still (both versions)
Independence Day
Armageddon
Deep Impact
Legion
I Am Legend
Zombieland
Waterworld
The Happening
Resident Evil 1, 2 & 3
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead (Gods I just HAD too)
Akira
Road Warrior
Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
Children of Men
Planet of the Apes (both versions)
Bladerunner

I could keep going ....but my geekiness is showing! LOL

My List:
Independence Day
Armageddon
Deep Impact
Legion
I Am Legend
Zombieland
Waterworld
The Happening
Resident Evil 1, 2 & 3
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Akira
Road Warrior
Children of Men
Bladerunner

Don't forget about Volcano, Earthquake, and other. I can't remember. It's title of movies.

I'm sick of hearing about new end of the world movies

I'm betting that a lot of the fear about 2012 was spread by the people who wanted to sell copies of their movie.

That fear has been around since the new age folks got their hands on the Mesoamerican calendars.

True, but I'm thinking that the reason why the fear is so widespread is because these production companies wanted their movies to sell.

The Omega Man with Carlton Heston. Not sure if there was a remake made of this film?

War of the Worlds. That was the first scare when hearing people heard on the radio in Chicago about aliens invading all over the worlds which bring disasters. Orson Welles started this scare and he did not know that the story would be caused a lot of panic. People did not know the difference with fiction or reality. Orson Welles should have told them it was just a story, not real. But he did not do that. It was awful back then probably around in the late 40s or early 50s. There were a lot of panic in Chicago at the time. OMG. Now there was a remade of the same title just a few years ago, I think.

I still have not see the movie "2012" yet, but again this is another ridiculous movie to scare people like that. I don't think the year 2012 will not bring disasters. I am sick of tire of seeing the movie just to scare people like that.

scary movies that included supernaturals like demons invading people's bodies and the priests had to take the demon out. Almost every one believe that the movies was true. To me, they was not true. I keep my sanity but for other people, they could not keep sanity so they went crazy. :giggle:

you guys are great I think the only reason people are scared of the movie is that they think that its actually goingto happen. I mean its like 666 it happens every 1,000 years. and peope are all like omg we are going to die.

I can't remember many apocalypse movies...

28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
The Quiet Earth (I really enjoyed this New Zealand movie)
The Last Man on Earth (The original "Omegaman")

I noticed some Ad'ers are sick of watching "2012". I never seen it yet and I will wait till this DVD movie will be released.

My List:
Independence Day
Armageddon
Deep Impact
Legion
I Am Legend
Zombieland
Waterworld
The Happening
Resident Evil 1, 2 & 3
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Akira
Road Warrior
Children of Men
Bladerunner

That is a very good list indeed and does cover quite a few of the end of the world topics. No worries of your geekness.

Dr. Strangelove
Excellent title.

Don't forget about Volcano, Earthquake, and other. I can't remember. It's title of movies.
These are good films in their own right but not exactly "end of the world". Both involved natural disasters but were centralized in Los Angeles.

The Omega Man with Carlton Heston. Not sure if there was a remake made of this film?
There was... and the Omega Man was a remake of "The Last Man On Earth" starring Vincent Price... "I am Legend" was a remake of "The Omega Man".

War of the Worlds. That was the first scare when hearing people heard on the radio in Chicago about aliens invading all over the worlds which bring disasters. Orson Welles started this scare and he did not know that the story would be caused a lot of panic. People did not know the difference with fiction or reality. Orson Welles should have told them it was just a story, not real. But he did not do that. It was awful back then probably around in the late 40s or early 50s. There were a lot of panic in Chicago at the time. OMG. Now there was a remade of the same title just a few years ago, I think.

Tom Cruise starred in the (vastly inferior) remake of that movie.

Actually Orson Wells DID tell people that it was just a story... at the beginning of the radio program and at several places throughout... there were even commercial breaks in between... however people turned on the radio shortly after the initial introduction and thought it was an actual news broadcast and panicked and didn't pay attention when they announce "our program" after commercial breaks... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_(radio)
Main Plot
The War of the Worlds (radio) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia After the play, Welles informally breaks character to remind listeners that the broadcast was a Halloween concoction (the equivalent, as he puts it, "of dressing up in a sheet and saying, 'Boo!'"). Popular mythology holds this "disclaimer" was hastily added to the broadcast at the insistence of CBS executives as they became aware of panic inspired by the program; in fact, it had appeared in Koch's working script for the play, as detailed in his 1968 book The Panic Broadcast.
Public reaction:
The War of the Worlds (radio) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Later studies indicate that many missed the repeated notices that the broadcast was fictional

Either way it was a great film and broadcast.

Scary movies do exactly that... capitalize upon popular modern disasters or serial killers or anything else that folks are finding scary at the moment. As long as the public PAYS to see these films ... they'll keep making them.

The Core is another underrated film that is about the end of the world. I happened to like it a lot... cheesy in a lot of ways but pretty good overall.

Wasn't there a movie that was about some group bombing the WTC about the same time that 9/11 happened and then due to the situation the movie was never released or if it was it was release a while after 9/11??

Deep Impact was too intense for me. I ended up with the scenes replaying over and over and over in my head for like 2 months!

I ain't gonna watch 2012, I don't need frightening scenes in my heads for months on end. It will only make my anxiety worse.

Back