Doubling of maternal deaths in U.S. 'scandalous,' rights group says

I read that weight was not a factor. When the statisticians adjusted the data for weight, it did not explain the increase in maternal mortality. Sorry, I can't locate that right now.

Also, teen pregnancy has a high risk of complications. Many minority and low income teens get pregnant. In the Hispanic community here, the culture supports early motherhood and does not consider teen pregnancy a problem. It's heart breaking to see girls dropping out of school without graduating.

WIC does not cover the care these women need. If it did, there would not be a rising death rate.

Why would you assume these women are overweight and that is why the death rate of pregnant women has doubled?

Sad, sad state of affairs when pregnant woman are dying for lack of medical care, ane at such a high rate, in one of the richest countries in the world.

In my state, WIC comes with medicaid, when cover pregnancy and food.

The reason why I say overweight because process and sugary food is cheaper. I was very poor myself, and I could only afford processed food, plus, I don' t know how to cook healthy food (nor many poor people have time to cook, they have two jobs sometimes)

I'm curious. Nowhere in the linked story or subsequent posts have I read anything referring to the fathers' responsibility for paying for prenatal care.

Are there any figures showing the fathers' contributions (other than their sperm)?

Is there a breakdown of paternal support by country?

yes! Why aren't their insurance covering them? just because they are not married? We can't lay the burden on the taxpayers and women because they won't wear condom properly.

The reason why I say overweight because process and sugary food is cheaper. I was very poor myself, and I could only afford processed food, plus, I don' t know how to cook healthy food (nor many poor people have time to cook, they have two jobs sometimes)

True. Teen aged pregnancies are actually higher risk than advanced age.

Also, the point is that we have the technology to deal with those high risk pregnancies. The women who are dying simply do not have access to it.

yes! Why aren't their insurance covering them? just because they are not married? We can't lay the burden on the taxpayers and women because they won't wear condom properly.

Insurance companies disallow services every day for people who have been paying premiums for years. They are certainly going to disallow someone who tries to put their girlfriend on the insurance just so they can get the prenatal care and birth paid.

The Virginia WIC Program : The goal of the Program is to improve the health of pregnant women, infants and children (under 5 years) through better nutrition and access to health care

From your link:

WIC stands for the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children. The Program provides nutrition education, breast feeding promotion and support, supplemental nutritious foods, counseling at WIC clinics, and screening and referrals to other health, welfare, and social services. The goal of the Program is to improve the health of pregnant women, infants and children (under 5 years) through better nutrition and access to health care. To be eligible for the WIC Program, applicants must meet categorical, residential, income and nutrition risk requirements.

WIC itself takes care of nutritional needs. They refer out for medical care. Just because they can give a woman the name of a doctor does not mean she can afford the services.

Lighthouse makes a good point about access to healthy food. In some poor urban areas, the people don't even have a proper grocery store. These people rely on convenience stores which have unhealthy food. If people don't have access to fruit and vegetables (or the money to buy them), they must rely on processed, starchy foods.

Fortification with folic acid has decreased the number of babies born with neural tube defects in the US. When women don't have access to plenty of folic acid, these birth defects are more common. Prenatal vitamins are another important part of prenatal care.

Not everyone who qualifies for WIC qualifies for Medicaid. The restrictions are more strigent.

Of course cheaper processed food is less expensive. That is exactly why the poor have bad diets and suffer more health effects.

Insurance companies disallow services every day for people who have been paying premiums for years. They are certainly going to disallow someone who tries to put their girlfriend on the insurance just so they can get the prenatal care and birth paid.
If the guy won't marry her, and she can't get his insurance coverage, then he should pay the medical bills out of pocket.

What's with all these irresponsible "fathers"?

If the guy won't marry her, and she can't get his insurance coverage, then he should pay the medical bills out of pocket.

What's with all these irresponsible "fathers"?

Not that simple. Those "fathers" could be absent from someone's life for numerous reasons:

Family shame.

Afraid to pursue justice for domestic violence.

One night stand.

Unable to remember who were the original fathers.

Immigration.

Sense of self-responsibility.

Self-blame.

Not that simple. Those "fathers" could be absent from someone's life for numerous reasons:

Family shame.

One night stand.

Immigration.

Self-blame.

fathers could be in jail

Family shame.

One night stand.

Immigration.

Self-blame.
Then maybe she should be more careful about with whom she gets into bed.

It's very sad that the children will have to suffer for their parents' behaviors.

Child support laws are not retro-active. Prenatal care is not considered child support, and child support can only be ordered for the time period following birth.

Not true....at least not in Texas.

Then maybe she should be more careful about with whom she gets into bed.

It's very sad that the children will have to suffer for their parents' behaviors.

We are discussing maternal death rates. If mother and child both die due to lack of accessability to medical care, there is no child to suffer consequences of social inequities.

By throwing responsibilty back to the woman, it is effectively being said that she, and she alone, is responsible for her own death.

Back