Doubling of maternal deaths in U.S. 'scandalous,' rights group says

From your link:

WIC stands for the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children. The Program provides nutrition education, breast feeding promotion and support, supplemental nutritious foods, counseling at WIC clinics, and screening and referrals to other health, welfare, and social services. The goal of the Program is to improve the health of pregnant women, infants and children (under 5 years) through better nutrition and access to health care. To be eligible for the WIC Program, applicants must meet categorical, residential, income and nutrition risk requirements.

WIC itself takes care of nutritional needs. They refer out for medical care. Just because they can give a woman the name of a doctor does not mean she can afford the services.

I was part of the program. I was working too at the time. They did provide medicaid to low income pregnant women. Otherwise, I have no else to explain how I got my medical bill paid for. I never was on welfare or anything and they told me that I could keep my medicaid until our son turn 5 years old. btw,
I don't think we should force men to pay for it, but I think someone's insurance ought to voluntary help a women who is pregnant. If someone want to list her to his insurance, let him/her.

This is appalling. Michael Moore should make a doco on this issue!

It just proves that women in a rich western country, in some ways, are still second class because of their economical or race status.

I was part of the program. I was working too at the time. They did provide medicaid to low income pregnant women. Otherwise, I have no else to explain how I got my medical bill paid for. I never was on welfare or anything and they told me that I could keep my medicaid until our son turn 5 years old.

I don't think we should force men to pay for it, but I think someone's insurance ought to voluntary help a women who is pregnant. If someone want to list her to his insurance, let him/her.

WIC funds do not cover Medicaid services. Medicaid is completely separate with different critria for qualification. They might refer you to Medicaid, but they don't provide medical services. And many, many women fall into that never never land of making too much to qualify for medicaid, but not enough to provide insurance.

By now, with all the unprotected sex I've had, I should have had enough kids to fill a town...
Here is a discussion on pregnant women with insufficient health care. Comments are made about how the man should be stepping up and offering to help with some of the expense. Then you saunter into the fray with the above post. I would say you are giving the rest of us a bad name.

And what's with the plugging for Convorelay.tv?

Here is a discussion on pregnant women with insufficient health care. Comments are made about how the man should be stepping up and offering to help with some of the expense. Then you saunter into the fray with the above post. I would say you are giving the rest of us a bad name.

And what's with the plugging for Convorelay.tv?

Deafdude1 could be in a way giving us all a bad name. ;)

I feel Convo is the best relay provider out there and I want them to grow. Any problems? Ask me in the relay forum.

I feel Convo is the best relay provider out there and I want them to grow. Any problems? Ask me in the relay forum.
Steer me to where this discussion is, here or PM, etc. BTW, I have no issues with my current provider.

To the OP: Sorry for the short hijacking.

What is CHIP perinatal coverage?
CHIP perinatal provides care to unborn children of pregnant women with household income up to 200 percent of the federal poverty level (FPL) and who are not eligible for Medicaid. Once born, the child will receive benefits that are similar to the traditional CHIP benefits for the duration of the 12-month coverage period.

When will applications be accepted?
Applications will be accepted beginning Jan. 2, 2007. An application received before Jan. 2, 2007, will not be screened for CHIP perinatal eligibility.

Who is eligible?
Unborn children of pregnant women who:

Have a household income greater than 185 percent FPL and up to 200 percent FPL.
Have a household income at or below 200 percent FPL but do not qualify for Medicaid because of immigration status.
Women who are U.S. citizens or qualified immigrants with household income at or below 185 percent FPL may be eligible for coverage under Medicaid’s pregnant women program.

How long does the eligibility and enrollment process take?
HHSC has 15 business days to process the application from the day it is received. Once eligibility is determined, the unborn child will be enrolled in a CHIP perinatal health plan. If the woman lives in a service area with more than one health plan choice, she will have 15 calendar days to select a health plan. If she does not choose a health plan within the 15-day timeframe, HHSC will choose one for the child.

When does a client’s coverage start?
Coverage begins on the first day of the month in which eligibility is determined. For example, if an application was submitted Feb. 23, 2007, and eligibility was determined March 13, 2007, coverage would start March 1, 2007.

What are the CHIP perinatal benefits for the unborn child?
CHIP perinatal coverage includes:

Up to 20 prenatal visits.
First 28 weeks of pregnancy ― one visit every four weeks.
28 to 36 weeks of pregnancy ― one visit every two to three weeks.
36 weeks to delivery ― one visit per week.
Additional prenatal visits allowed if medically necessary.
Some laboratory testing, assessments, planning services, education and counseling.
Prescription drug coverage based on the current CHIP formulary.
Hospital facility charges and professional services charges related to the delivery. Preterm labor that does not result in a birth and false labor are not covered benefits.
For women with income between 186-200 percent FPL:
Hospital facility charges paid through CHIP.
Professional service charges paid through CHIP.
For women with income at or below 185 percent FPL:
Hospital facility charges paid through Emergency Medicaid. (A client must apply and be determined eligible for Emergency Medicaid for a claim to be paid to a Medicaid provider.)
Professional service charges paid through CHIP.
More information about CHIP benefits for the unborn child is available in the health plan provider manuals.
What are the benefits once the child is born?

Two postpartum visits for the mother.
Depending on the family’s income level, hospital facility charges for labor with delivery and the newborn’s first hospital admission may or may not be covered by CHIP perinatal. The covered services available before the child is discharged from the hospital are explained in more detail in the health plan provider manuals.
Once a child is discharged from the initial hospital admission, the child receives the traditional CHIP benefit package. A full list of covered benefits is available at CHIP | Children's Medicaid.

Pregnant women do have many options and usually are not turned away if they go to the health dept. Especially if the father ran off or is unknown.

As crappy as it is that the father runs off or if the mother doesn't know who the father is. That leaves her to only be one source of income. "if she has one". So most likely she will be covered by medicaid.

Back