Does you guys have any trouble sleeping at night?

I heard that fish oil is really good at helping you fall asleep...

I have insomnia, but have never tried any kind of natural remedies... I think I should try it...

I don't think it has nothing to do with deafness. I am having a little bit problem with sleeping as I have muscle pains now that I am old at 65 years old. I tried to take pain medicine to ease my arm and neck and my hearing husband is going through the same pain as I do, too. Yes, it is hard to get some decent sleep that we need very badly. Other times we are sleeping like babies. :lol:

You're right, Bebonang. I don't think it has anything to do with hearing status. I've been hearing from birth, and, I've also had problems sleeping since I was a small child. Now that I'm older, I have the same issues as you. I'm younger than you are, but, the joint pain I'm always in makes sleeping very difficult. Add my already whacky sleeping (or NON SLEEPING) patterns, as it were, and forget it. Only way I can get to sleep now is if I'm heavily medicated.

Have you tried some Valerian Root tea or capsules or chamomile tea to try to help you sleep? When do you sleep? Are you able to sleep during the day?

I've tried Kava and chamomile. Didn't do squat for me. I sleep from 2am to anywhere from noon to 2pm depending on how sore I am when I wake up. I actually wake around 10am but don't always get out of bed until I HAVE to.

I heard that fish oil is really good at helping you fall asleep...

I have insomnia, but have never tried any kind of natural remedies... I think I should try it...

Check with your Dr before you do. Some of the naturopathic remedies can interfere with conventional medication. I'm on a vitamin/mineral regimen for pain and other issues. I also take Omega 3 fatty acids (which is found in fish oil, but, I take it in pill form). I haven't noticed any difference in sleep, but, I've had positive results for my pain levels and also bowel function. Also, it is supposed to help to stabilize mood.

I am going for an integrated approach rather than a total homeopathic approach to my issues.

I've tried Kava and chamomile. Didn't do squat for me. I sleep from 2am to anywhere from noon to 2pm depending on how sore I am when I wake up. I actually wake around 10am but don't always get out of bed until I HAVE to.

Hmmmm....have you tried Melatonin? I know several people who have had good results with it. I tried it but it gave me some hellacious nightmares. :Ohno:

wow.. just reread my title. i didnt mean to say "DOES you guys..." haha. just really tired when i wrote it..

thanks for the replies anyway, :D

also, i didnt know so many people had tinnitus who are Deaf/HOH. interesting..

It seems to come with the territory. It is a rare thing for a deaf person NOT to have tinnitus.
Just wait until you are a senior citizen. Once you start losing your hearing, you will hear that "wonderful" tinnitus and understand us for real. :)

maybe .01% of deaf have a sleeping problem as a result of their deafness. your teacher seems to me sending out the:bsflag::bsflag: take a shovel to your next class .

Query, does tinnitus cause a really annoying high pitched tone in the ears?

Last edited:
Hmmm, these tones have faded as my hearing has gone bye-bye. I rarely ever have them anymore.

maybe .01% of deaf have a sleeping problem as a result of their deafness. your teacher seems to me sending out the:bsflag::bsflag: take a shovel to your next class .

I was thinking the same thing. Only if people have bad tinnitus that is related with hearing loss then they may have hard times sleeping, you know. I was born deaf and did not have tinnitus but maybe once in a while but it wasn't long enough compare with my hubby. I don't know why that my hubby has it. He said he was born deaf and still got tinniuts and veritgo. oh well.

Wirelessly posted

The only thing that make me fall asleep is watching tv. It take me three days to finish one epsiode of House (recorded).

Hmm.. I don't know. She is Deaf herself, as well as her husband and one of her sons is HOH, so I don't know if she was speaking from experience or if its something she read, I shall ask her to explain further next time I have class with her.

It may be a simple explanation: a large chunk of the general public has trouble sleeping and it has nothing to do with hearing loss. So far the only logical explanation correlating trouble sleeping and hearing loss is possibly tinnitus... Maybe I will do some deeper research on the topic. It may make an interesting research project one day.. :hmm:

Well.. Theres the DST, and the stereotype that many deaf people stay up very late. I can attest to it, and I am a good example of such.

I guess it depends why one stays up at night and than what happens the next morning? If one is retired- no big problem eating breakfast late.

Implanted Advanced Bionics- Harmony activated Aug/07

Hmmmm....have you tried Melatonin? I know several people who have had good results with it. I tried it but it gave me some hellacious nightmares. :Ohno:

I have NOT tried Melatonin. But, the nightmares would give me pause. I have quite a few issues and the nightmares would be something I DO NOT need, but, thanks for the suggestion.

I'm into an integrated approach to medicine and take conventional meds that help to some degree. I'm also looking into other things that may help. I found chamomile to be too weak to actually induce sleep. However, it does relax me. Kava is something I've tried before as well. Again, it calmed me, but didn't actually put me to sleep.

I've NOT tried Melatonin or Valerian root. I'll need to check with my physicians before I go adding things to make sure everything plays nice together.

Last thing I need is to have interactions! (and NO, I WILL NOT stop taking my traditional medication and go strictly homeopathic. I've got a lot going on and that would be a recipe for disaster!)

wow.. just reread my title. i didnt mean to say "DOES you guys..." haha. just really tired when i wrote it..

thanks for the replies anyway, :D

also, i didnt know so many people had tinnitus who are Deaf/HOH. interesting..

Hey don't worry. I've done the same thing. :D

Back