Does you guys have any trouble sleeping at night?

HelloNurse

Reaction score
haha, that was a stupid question.. I suppose everyone has trouble sleeping now and then, but i figured the silliness of the question would draw you in!

Anyway, in class a while back I remember my teacher telling us something about Deaf and HOH's circadian rhythms being messed up or something, and that many Deaf people stay up all night and are tired all day. My signing is still pretty limited so I probably wouldn't have understood her if I had asked her to go more into detail. She told me to check it out on the internet, but I have been googleing all over the place and I haven't found anything.

I have noticed my HOH friend is up at all hours of the night trying to text and VP me while im either sleeping or working 3rd shift, but I figured he is just really talkative... because he does it all day long too. lol

So is my teacher nuts, or is there some kind of Deaf/Sleep pattern phenomenon. And if so, does anyone know anything about the scientific component of it? Sorry if this is weird, I am just a curious person. I like to know how bodies work. :lol:

Wow, thats interesting. I've ALWAYS been that way my entire life. (I was born deaf in my right ear, and a significant loss in my left). I usually have to take sleeping medicine for about a week or two to get back onto a normal schedule every couple weeks/months.

I'm actually on my weird "Up all night/Tired all day" schedule right now. I've been going to sleep around 3-4, and then not waking up til about 12-2pm. I hate it but my body seems to refuse to try to fall into a more conventional habit of sleep. Sleeping medicines help throw my body into a rhythm of normal sleeping patterns, but it always finds a way to step out of the rhythm and go right back into a nocturnal state.

Aha! I'm on to something. I smell my master's thesis brewing!! haha.. okay I'll wait for a couple more responses first.. and ya know, I should probably get my Bachelors degree out of the way too..

well, I have a kid. I like to check on him sometimes. It help to have a hearing dog.

I am a night owl but both of my hearing sisters are night owls, too. The only reason I can think of why a deaf person would have problem with sleeping is the tinnitus. I know a guy who sleep at night with the lamp on or his tinnitus/vertigo would gets bad.

Since I become a mom, and i couldn't stay up so late. I was born deaf .. Oh yeah in my young days,I was not a mom at this time, i was usually up so late at all times such as till 5 am.

If you mean about the tinnius then yes the tinnius does keep my hubby up at night when he tries to sleep but the tinnius is in the way. he was born profoundly deaf and got a CI. sadly, tinnius stubbornly stays with my hubby for the rest of his life, 24/7.

haha, that was a stupid question.. I suppose everyone has trouble sleeping now and then, but i figured the silliness of the question would draw you in!

Anyway, in class a while back I remember my teacher telling us something about Deaf and HOH's circadian rhythms being messed up or something, and that many Deaf people stay up all night and are tired all day. My signing is still pretty limited so I probably wouldn't have understood her if I had asked her to go more into detail. She told me to check it out on the internet, but I have been googleing all over the place and I haven't found anything.

I have noticed my HOH friend is up at all hours of the night trying to text and VP me while im either sleeping or working 3rd shift, but I figured he is just really talkative... because he does it all day long too. lol

So is my teacher nuts, or is there some kind of Deaf/Sleep pattern phenomenon. And if so, does anyone know anything about the scientific component of it? Sorry if this is weird, I am just a curious person. I like to know how bodies work. :lol:

That's of interest. As far as I know,c most deaf have normal sleeping hours.

I don't have normal sleeping hours and I think my ciradian system is dysfuctional.

Been a night owl many, many years. due to working late hours. Now I can go to sleep, say 1AM and get back up at 8AM. Tennitus is a problem sometimes, so I usually exhaust myself before going to bed. Having musical tennitus has always been a problem with me, sometimes to the point where I'll just give up trying to get to sleep, and find something to do. Of course, the next day, I feel terrible and try to take a nap or two to make up for it.

I've been a night owl for a while, but I blame that on college. I never had problems going to sleep before that.

I think one thing that might be the case with deaf/hoh, is that we spend a good deal of time on the internet because it is a big way for us to communicate, and I don't know about some of you, but I have a hard time prying myself away from the computer, even when my body is telling me to sleep.

But it's funny you mention this, because for the last couple months, I've been waking up very early in the morning, or sometimes in the middle of the night, for no apparent reason, but I fall back asleep in 10-15 minutes. This happens almost every single night. It definitely feels like my rhythm is messed up. I doubt this has anything to do with my hearing loss, but who knows...

And this is totally off topic, but damn, it seems like AD has had an influx of attractive young women joining lately. Sweet!

I sleep like a baby! I can sleep for 8-12 hours straight with no problems... I get insomia when i am worrying about something so pretty much normal like hearing people!

it's 23.30 now i am yawning, my dvd is on, I am about to turn this off then watch film until i fall asleep which usually within 5 mins!! I often wake up at 8-9 to a film that had been repeating though the night.

I have a really hard time sleeping at a decent time. Partly because I work 4pm-11pm MOST of the time. It makes it harder for me to sleep with tinnitus occasionally.

I'm completely deaf on my right ear and 60% hearing loss in my left. Though when I do sleep, sleeping on my good ear and ahh! silence is a bliss!

I have a really hard time sleeping at a decent time. Partly because I work 4pm-11pm MOST of the time. It makes it harder for me to sleep with tinnitus occasionally.

I'm completely deaf on my right ear and 60% hearing loss in my left. Though when I do sleep, sleeping on my good ear and ahh! silence is a bliss!
Yes, we have the same tricks! :giggle:

wow.. just reread my title. i didnt mean to say "DOES you guys..." haha. just really tired when i wrote it..

thanks for the replies anyway, :D

also, i didnt know so many people had tinnitus who are Deaf/HOH. interesting..

I have a hard time sleeping, but it has nothing to do with my hearing loss. I have constant pain and the pain keeps me awake or will wake me. I wake every 2-3 hours. I do not work at a job, but I am kept busy all day with household stuff and running MIL here, there and everywhere.

My wife does not sleep normally. 2 hours here, 3 hours there. I only know of 2 people that live like this.

I've had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep most of my life. With the CPAP machine I got a few years ago, sleeping is much, much better.

My sister has insomnia and she is not HOH ,she has a hard time getting to sleep a lot. As I gotten older I find myself staying up late , and getting to bed around 1:AM . If I go to bed too early I have trouble falling to sleep.
I think being deaf or HOH has nothing to with being able to fall asleep. It best to not watch TV shows that get you all excited or worked up before bed time if you have a hard time falling asleep.

I don't think it has nothing to do with deafness. I am having a little bit problem with sleeping as I have muscle pains now that I am old at 65 years old. I tried to take pain medicine to ease my arm and neck and my hearing husband is going through the same pain as I do, too. Yes, it is hard to get some decent sleep that we need very badly. Other times we are sleeping like babies. :lol:

I don't think it has nothing to do with deafness. I am having a little bit problem with sleeping as I have muscle pains now that I am old at 65 years old. I tried to take pain medicine to ease my arm and neck and my hearing husband is going through the same pain as I do, too. Yes, it is hard to get some decent sleep that we need very badly. Other times we are sleeping like babies. :lol:

Me too! I am getting pains too that made it hard to sleep . I will be 64 next week! Yike! We're getting old!

My sleeping schedule started switching from a more conventional sleeping pattern to definite nightowl-ism with the increase of hearing loss. Now that I am nearly completely deaf I never sleep at night, Fortunately, I can sleep during the day because I lack a regular employment....so I don't have the tired issues during the day. I have tried repeatedly to switch my sleep patterns back to a "normal" rhythm...but it never lasts long and I always end up right back being up all night and crashing around 9-10 am every day and sleeping till around 6pm. I've adjusted well, though. I'm finding I get more done when everyone else is in bed and it's all nice and...hah hah....quiet.

Back