do you think downs sydromes should be in Deaf school deaf unit?

I'm sorry, I'm not clear on what you wrote. Are you saying you don't believe deaf children with Down syndrome should be educated with deaf peers that don't have Down syndrome?

I mean they can go to the same Deaf school as us but not in the same classroom. That's what I mean.

I mean they can go to the same Deaf school as us but not in the same classroom. That's what I mean.

Why?

Did you notice how you wrote, "not in the same classroom as us"? As if the individual with Down syndrome isn't allowed to be a part of your "group" or "culture" or whatever?

It is no different than a hearing child with DS being mainstreamed in a hearing placement for all or part of the day.

Who is anyone to think that they are entitled to being educated within an exclusive group that fits in one little box?

Hearing people don't have the right to make that argument either, for a hearing child with DS.

That's part of the greater issue- the exclusiveness of it all. Maybe if things weren't so exclusive there wouldn't be the great divide that always seems to rear its ugly head.

Why?

Did you notice how you wrote, "not in the same classroom as us"? As if the individual with Down syndrome isn't allowed to be a part of your "group" or "culture" or whatever?

It is no different than a hearing child with DS being mainstreamed in a hearing placement for all or part of the day.

Who is anyone to think that they are entitled to being educated within an exclusive group that fits in one little box?

Hearing people don't have the right to make that argument either, for a hearing child with DS.

That's part of the greater issue- the exclusiveness of it all. Maybe if things weren't so exclusive there wouldn't be the great divide that always seems to rear its ugly head.

I had some experiences with Down or another mental issue kids who were in the same classroom as us, and they did slow us down and made our education delayed. It did not work for ME. That's what I mean. I don't mind if they go to the same school as us, not in the same classroom.

Sad some Deaf kids do make fun of those down or other mental issues kids on a daily basis.

Why?

K

If the school doesn't have the resources to meet the child with DS` needs then the teacher would have a very difficult times e trying to meet everyone's learning needs and all of the students' end up with a sub par education.

Luckily where I work has the resources but many other programs in the area don't.

If the school doesn't have the resources to meet the child with DS` needs then the teacher would have a very difficult times e trying to meet everyone's learning needs and all of the students' end up with a sub par education.

Luckily where I work has the resources but many other programs in the area don't.

The same is true in mainstream placements, with mainstreamed students and general Ed teachers...

In a mainstream placement you can have 20-30 students, many of which have different needs...

Some might be English Language learners, a few might have learning disabilities, you might throw a couple DHH students in there too along with the students with typical needs.

The teacher will have to teach to the curriculum, using different accommodations in an effort to "meet" all the students needs.

There are many variables that are also be at play that you can't diminish the topic to just a student with Down syndrome being educated at a school for the deaf, or a DHH class.

The short and sweet of it, is yes. They are absolutely entitled to, and in many cases should be educated at a school for the deaf. What that educational placement actually would look like will vary depending on the individual student.

To say otherwise would be discriminatory.

I had some experiences with Down or another mental issue kids who were in the same classroom as us, and they did slow us down and made our education delayed. It did not work for ME. That's what I mean. I don't mind if they go to the same school as us, not in the same classroom.

Sad some Deaf kids do make fun of those down or other mental issues kids on a daily basis.

I'm sorry you felt your education was hindered because you "had some experiences with Down or another mental issue kids".

As to the bolded above, only sh*tty people make fun of others because of a disability. It is not an exclusively d/Deaf thing.

Your comments really warm my heart. My mother had Rubella so I could have easily been born mentally retarded myself.

HUH ... Really ... Sometimes I wonder if you were ... since your HoH and have a crappy audist's view on things I've seen in other threads around this place ...

HUH ... Really ... Sometimes I wonder if you were ... since your HoH and have a crappy audist's view on things I've seen in other threads around this place ...

Give me an example of my crappy audist's view on life.

I had some experiences with Down or another mental issue kids who were in the same classroom as us, and they did slow us down and made our education delayed.

Sharing a classroom with other students, regardless of their needs, doesn't slow anyone down. Only you can do that to yourself. I shared classes with students that had very disruptive behavioral issues and I was able to keep my focus on myself and ignore them. That’s what everyone has to do, from the Honor’s program to special education.

I couldn't bother with ASL because I don't care for the militant attitude of many deaf and it's a turn off to learn the language. Being Sicilian American, I already have a place I belong and I don't care to have a deaf language forced on to me to have "the best of both worlds."

Laura

:hmm:

That upsets you? That I have my own life and I don’t care to jump on a bandwagon and join your sorority group? Well you seem to fit that description you selected; I'm entitled to my own life. What I can never get away from is people who feel that have a right to tell people how to live: where to go to school, what language they should use, how they should be educated, what their parents should or should not do, how to vote, what they should be proud of (tell them what they're ashamed of if they're not), and they feel like this is their right because they don't hear and if anyone disagrees with them it's because they have some evil agenda...I don't buy it....and I don't identify myself by my disability so get over it. My life doesn't concern you.

This thread however is whether students should be excluded from classrooms because of downs – so your grievance has nothing to do it. A deaf child with downs has every right to learn ASL along with other students. If it bothers people so much to share a space in the room with them, get a transfer.

The same is true in mainstream placements, with mainstreamed students and general Ed teachers...

In a mainstream placement you can have 20-30 students, many of which have different needs...

Some might be English Language learners, a few might have learning disabilities, you might throw a couple DHH students in there too along with the students with typical needs.

The teacher will have to teach to the curriculum, using different accommodations in an effort to "meet" all the students needs.

There are many variables that are also be at play that you can't diminish the topic to just a student with Down syndrome being educated at a school for the deaf, or a DHH class.

The short and sweet of it, is yes. They are absolutely entitled to, and in many cases should be educated at a school for the deaf. What that educational placement actually would look like will vary depending on the individual student.

To say otherwise would be discriminatory.

I agree, but unfortunately many teachers are left without the proper training, resources, or support and get burnt out. In the past two years a few of my coworkers, family members, and friends who were teachers have left the teaching field to work in other fields because they just couldn't do it anymore. It is very very very stressful trying to meet all of the students' needs. I try my best but there are days where I am so drained after work and I just cant put one foot after another. Oh well.

Sharing a classroom with other students, regardless of their needs, doesn't slow anyone down. Only you can do that to yourself. I shared classes with students that had very disruptive behavioral issues and I was able to keep my focus on myself and ignore them. That’s what everyone has to do, from the Honor’s program to special education.

its too late for now. I wish I knew when I was 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 yrs old and i could have demanded for more assignment or project but teachers made me to wait for other kids to finish their assignment or projects first. Then teacher can go process it. No wonder I often got picked on by teachers for distracting in the classroom. lol that sucks.

its too late for now. I wish I knew when I was 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 yrs old and i could have demanded for more assignment or project but teachers made me to wait for other kids to finish their assignment or projects first. Then teacher can go process it. No wonder I often got picked on by teachers for distracting in the classroom. lol that sucks.

Like at that age you are supposed to know that it was your responsibility to advocate for your own education. That kind of thinking is just ridiculous.

My son is hearing and he wouldn't know if he was being slowed down or not! He is only 7 years old!

Well, you are lucky you had the skills. Not everyone does. Most young children don't even know how to stay focused..they are curious about their world and any disruptive students in their classes will catch their attention while having a tantrum. I should know because I have a class this year with students who have disruptive behavior problems and it takes all of my energy to control their behaviors while to keep on teaching the others who don't have behavior issues.

I don't think Grummer is attacking people with Down. He just wants deaf students to learn at the speed they are supposed to learn.

In my special classes there was no segregation and the classes were very good.

The fact is: Most schools do not have the resources to divide students based on need.

And, given the small number of students with disabilities it would be prohibitive. If you have two students, one deaf and one with Down, it is impractical to hire separate teachers or rearrange classes for each.

The school has to work in a cost effective way as well.

that's right mate

If the student is also hoh or deaf yes they should be allowed to go the class for deaf and hoh students.

I went to school with a lot hearing students that where not great students and they where allowed to go to the same classes as the high honor students. I was send to reject class because I was hoh and I did not get a good education , all children have a right to get the help they need to get the most of out school.

I feel everyone have the rights to receive the education they deserve and learns at their pace they are capable of, but I do not think school or teacher have the rights to force students to slow down for the others because they lack the resources.

By the way I went to deaf school, and I was moving at faster pace than my own classmates. I finish assignments and chapters ahead of the time. Often I'd ignore the lecture and doodling instead.

When teacher calls for my attention and accuses me of not paying attention. I'd ask her to ask me question on the topic she gave lecture on. So she did, and I answered it correctly.

It doesn't matter...she still penalized me for turn in the assignments from later chapters early.

I repeatedly request my teachers to let me to learn on my own instead of going with slower pace of my classmates, and have one on one session when needed. What's wrong with that? It is a good solution in my own opinion. They still refused.

Now as for mainstreaming...unfortunately there was none in my area and my parents won't fight for it.

When my family moved, I went to different deaf school. In one class, the history repeats, and the teacher did something different. She screamed at me to help my classmates. The school decides enroll me in mainstream program for half of the day throughout my time at that school. The coordinator at that deaf school say I should be in the gifted program.

My point...everyone should be able to learn at their own pace one way or the other.

Back