Do You Suffer From Clinical Depression or Bipolar Disorder?

I see, just wanted your opinion. but of course you're trained.

jillio said:
Getting angry because someone doesn't answer your question in the time frame that you have allotted? May indicate that you are impatient, somewhat self-centered, and have difficulty controlling anger. Do those behaviors mean you need to be medicated? I'd say probably not. Sounds more neurotic than mentally ill.

self-centered? difficulty? okay. I'd be laughing but I remember you don't know me yet. (now, I guess that's not self-centered?) well, it ticks me off when someone could not answer a simple question, or even correspond to it like you did... I mean, why is it fricking so hard? as you already know, communication is a basic requirment in any relationship. otherwise you say I must - must thank you for reading my post.

jillio said:
This thread sucks? Not to those that have questions they would like to have answered and are anxious to learn. But to base the value of the thread on your opinion only is just another indication of neurotic self centeredness. If you are not interested in the conversations taking place, the solution would be not to bother coming to this particular thread.
geez, so much for innocent question....no, you misunderstood me. I said this thread sucks, generally to the posters who didn't understood this thread (some posts were deleted). of course no one is interested in rude people, but I still am here because, what would you do? educate, clarify or ingore. again, only if you knew me.

by the way I never realized ticked off meant angry. I thought, frustrated. read: easily ingored. but whatever. nevertheless, thank you for reading my post.

I see, just wanted your opinion. but of course you're trained.

self-centered? difficulty? okay. I'd be laughing but I remember you don't know me yet. (now, I guess that's not self-centered?) well, it ticks me off when someone could not answer a simple question, or even correspond to it like you did... I mean, why is it fricking so hard? as you already know, communication is a basic requirment in any relationship. otherwise you say I must - must thank you for reading my post.

geez, so much for innocent question....no, you misunderstood me. I said this thread sucks, generally to the posters who didn't understood this thread (some posts were deleted). of course no one is interested in rude people, but I still am here because, what would you do? educate, clarify or ingore. again, only if you knew me.

by the way I never realized ticked off meant angry. I thought, frustrated. read: easily ingored. but whatever. nevertheless, thank you for reading my post.

You are quite welcome.

i am feeling little depressed cuz some of people in my family are running my life and i am wonder why can't i run my life ugh jeez at them GRR

i am feeling little depressed cuz some of people in my family are running my life and i am wonder why can't i run my life ugh jeez at them GRR

That is a normal situational depression. We all go through that from time to time, but it usually gets better when the situation causing it gets better.

Perhaps you need to tell your family members how you feel, and let them know that you appreciate that they are trying to help you, but it is time to let go and allow you to stand on your own two feet.

Jillio, Im curious about your thoughts on mindful thinking techniques for depression - there is a book out by Jon Kabat-Zinn called "The Mindful Way through Depression" - granted, it is not a cure but it helps someone keep in check with daily emotions.

For more information on this, go to: The Mindful Way Through Depression ... - Google Book Search

I have came into mindful thinking recently and I discovered that it has not been brought up on this forum so am just wondering - it is way too bad that most of mediation books comes with CDs or audiotapes that we deaf people cannot use :(

Jillio, Im curious about your thoughts on mindful thinking techniques for depression - there is a book out by Jon Kabat-Zinn called "The Mindful Way through Depression" - granted, it is not a cure but it helps someone keep in check with daily emotions.

For more information on this, go to: The Mindful Way Through Depression ... - Google Book Search

I have came into mindful thinking recently and I discovered that it has not been brought up on this forum so am just wondering - it is way too bad that most of mediation books comes with CDs or audiotapes that we deaf people cannot use :(

I am a big believer in meditation techniques used with a variety of disorders. They are useful especially with depression and anxiety, or the anxiety based disorders such as OCD. I personally, take a very holistic view of treatment, and believe that we need to focus not just on the behavioral and emotional symptoms of these disorders, but on the physical symptoms, as well. I am very Gestalt, and use exercises that employ the use of the body to bring about awareness of what is going on mentally and emotionally with an individual. We all use our bodies to block things that are emotionally painful or uncomfortable for us, and learning relaxation techniques that permit the body to relax will assist in allowing emotional difficulties to come to the surface so that they can be dealt with. A relaxed individual is much more capable of becoming aware of the ways in which they are blocking themselves. Meditation is an excellent tool for this goal.

Granted, guided meditation does traditionally have an oral component. However, deaf individuals can be taught visualization techniques that serve the same purpose, but with internal guidance from the individual rather than spoken guidance from a clinician. My goal is to teach the individual how to do for themselves what they come to me to do for them. I am an educator at heart, and believe that all people are capable of nurturing and tending to their needs if they only have the knowledge of how to do so. I don't want my clients to be dependent upon me. I want to provide them with the tools to be able to depend on themselves.

You have certainly given me something to ponder. I need to come up with a way to make the many self-help materials that are available more deaf friendly. Thank you for making me aware of something I should have considered long ago. Its a perfect example of why the deaf community is a valuable resource for me. You, and only you, can make me aware of what you need.

What about St. John's Wort pills?

The biggest problem with herbal remedies is that they are not controlled, so the dosage of the actual herb that you get is not standardized. One brand may have a larger or lower dose than a different brand.

Plus, there are no controlled studies on the effectiveness.

SJW is only good for very mild depression. It won't put a dent in bipolar depression or moderate to severe unipolar depression. You should also NEVER mix SJW with an SSRI. You'll subject yourself to something called serotonin syndrome.

What is Serotonin Syndrome?

Agreed. The herbals should never be mixed with a prescription drug. There could be serious side effects of the combination.

I suffer from clinical depression and generalized anxiety disorder, as well as PTSD. It sucks, but with meds (not too many) and therapy when needed, I do pretty well. When I need to, I just make sure I talk to my hubby, especially if I feel like I'm going to die. He helps me a lot, although, sometimes nothing helps. I try to take care of myself; the best thing I can say is take care of you....rest if you need it and do what need to to stay stable.

I suffer from clinical depression and generalized anxiety disorder, as well as PTSD. It sucks, but with meds (not too many) and therapy when needed, I do pretty well. When I need to, I just make sure I talk to my hubby, especially if I feel like I'm going to die. He helps me a lot, although, sometimes nothing helps. I try to take care of myself; the best thing I can say is take care of you....rest if you need it and do what need to to stay stable.

:hug: I hear you. I also suffer as well. I'm in therapy and i take meds. But, even with that, there are times when life is just ...rough! Having a good support system is vital!

:hug: I hear you. I also suffer as well. I'm in therapy and i take meds. But, even with that, there are times when life is just ...rough! Having a good support system is vital!

I always ask about a client's support system. A good support system can be the difference between a good prognosis and a poor prognosis.

If I feel like I am in a slump like something bad is going to happen or I am doomed every now and then, what does that mean?

My opinion that we are depressed once a while. It probably has to do with our stress from work, money, and friend-relationships, or maybe do nothing for no reason, etc. It is probably a common for everyone.

My opinion that we are depressed once a while. It probably has to do with our stress from work, money, and friend-relationships, or maybe do nothing for no reason, etc. It is probably a common for everyone.

When I get those "slumps" I feel like my life is worthless and destinated for doom and gloom. I HATE those "slumps"!

Absolutely. It is perfectly normal to be depressed at various times. It is not considered to be a problem unless it interferes with your ability to function on a daily basis, and for an extended period of time.

When I get those "slumps" I feel like my life is worthless and destinated for doom and gloom. I HATE those "slumps"!

Agreed. They aren't fun to go through. And just when you needs lots of :hug: people seem to avoid you because they are unsure how to react to your depressed mood. So,here is a bunch of :hug: cuz I don't care what kind of mood you are in. I still think you are one of the most special people I know!

Back