Do You Suffer From Clinical Depression or Bipolar Disorder?

AquaBlue

Reaction score
Seven years ago I was diagnosed with manic depression, also known as Bipolar Disorder. I take medication (my salvation) every day to maintain a normal level of stabilizing chemicals in my brain. The meds allow me to function and live a normal life.

Do you suffer the same (or like) illness?

i have been depressed for while but i am in therapy it is working and i don't need medications

I never suffer manic depressions or bipolar. But I do know some people that are both. Some of them are treated with medications to help control their depressions and their bipolar. I have despression but not like manic deep despression. I watched a show from Oprah Winfrey and they were talking about bipolar issues. She also said bipolar disorder illness affects the lives of many individuals. Not only those who have been diagnosed but family members and others in continual close contact with sufferers will be well familiar with the trials and tribulations of life with bipolar disorder. I find that very interesting. And she also mention in her show that disorder is a long-term illness that must be carefully managed throughout a person's life. The risk of suicide including teen suicide is high in untreated cases. Million of people suffer from that.

I never suffer manic depressions or bipolar. But I do know some people that are both. Some of them are treated with medications to help control their depressions and their bipolar. I have despression but not like manic deep despression. I watched a show from Oprah Winfrey and they were talking about bipolar issues. She also said bipolar disorder illness affects the lives of many individuals. Not only those who have been diagnosed but family members and others in continual close contact with sufferers will be well familiar with the trials and tribulations of life with bipolar disorder. I find that very interesting. And she also mention in her show that disorder is a long-term illness that must be carefully managed throughout a person's life. The risk of suicide including teen suicide is high in untreated cases. Million of people suffer from that.

Right on the money GarnetTigerMom!

In whatever language it is told, Bipolar is bad- a black abyss indeed. If anyone on this form does not understand what I am saying, understand this: I envy you. No I am not kidding. I truly envy you.

I would not wish this illness on my very worse enemy.

Thank you Buffalo for the YouTube link.

People with bipolar disorder are at great risk for suicide if they are not getting treatment. The National Mental Health Association reports that 30%-70% of suicide victims have suffered from a form of depression. Men commit almost 75% of suicides, even though twice as many women attempt it.

Risk factors for suicide include:

• Having mental and substance abuse disorders
  • Family history of mental or substance abuse disorder
  • Having attempted suicide previously
  • Having a family history of physical or sexual abuse
  • Having family members or friends who have attempted suicide
  • Keeping a firearm in the home
  • If you or someone you know is at risk for suicide -- and has shown warning signs -- do not leave them alone. Seek the help of a health-care professional right away. People often talk about suicide before they attempt it, so pay close attention to what they are saying.

Some warning signs of suicide:

• Talking about suicide
  • Always talking or thinking about death
  • Making comments about being hopeless, helpless, or worthless
  • Saying things like "It would be better if I wasn't here" or "I want out"
  • Worsening depression
  • A sudden switch from being very sad to being very calm or appearing to be happy
  • Having a "death wish," tempting fate by taking risks that could lead to death, like driving through red lights
  • Losing interest in things one used to care about
  • Visiting or calling people one cares about
  • Putting affairs in order, tying up lose ends, changing a will

Most clients took the medication Abilify. However, that medication side effects into heart failure, pneumonia, stroke) when this medication is used in elderly patients with dementia.

According to depression occurs due to a loss of a loved one, a change in one's life, or after being diagnosed with a serious medical disease. For others, depression just happened, possibly due to their family history. Neurotransmitter -- a chemical messenger that allows communication between nerves in the brain and the body.

Sometime, I suddenly become depress down the hill for some reason due to chemical in my brain functional. I had to overcome to get out of the bed immediately to take a shower, eat breakfast then take for a walk with a dog. It will make you feel better to avoid depress escalation till end of the day.

• A history of depression in the family: It is believed that depression is passed genetically from generation to generation, although the exact way this occurs is not known.
  • Grief from the death or loss of a loved one.
  • Personal disputes, like conflict with a family member.
  • Physical, sexual, or emotional abuse.
  • Major events that occur in everyone's lives, such as moving, graduating, changing jobs, getting married or divorced, retiring, etc.
  • Serious illness: depressed feelings are a common reaction to many medical illnesses.
  • Certain medications
  • Substance abuse: close to 30% of people with substance abuse problems also have major depression.
  • Other personal problems: these may come in the forms of social isolation due to other mental illnesses, or being cast out of a family or social circle.

In whatever language it is told, Bipolar is bad- a black abyss indeed. If anyone on this form does not understand what I am saying, understand this: I envy you. No I am not kidding. I truly envy you.

As a therapist, I empathize with your stuggles. Have you read the book, "An Unquiet Mind"? It is an amazing account of a woman with bi-polar disorder. She was also a Ph.D. psychologist and director of the pshychiatric dept. of a large medical school in the U.S.

I wonder if u dont mind describing what it does to you and your thoughts? My 19 year old brother is suffering from Bipolar and my family dont know how to help him. My dad and stepmom did everything they can ever since he was little to help but it seems like he is getting worse. *sighs*

Maybe by sharing your experience can give me some insight on what my brother's thoughts are like. I know everyone is different but I can just get some idea.

If not, I can respect that.
Thanks

im battle with depression but im using with prozac to help me stop crying every morning so my doctors gives me medicine to help me makes me feels better but im not really 100%!

anti-depress Medication do not always help

WASHINGTON — Antidepressant medications appear to help only very severely depressed people and work no better than placebos in many patients, British researchers said.

Researchers led by Irving Kirsch of the University of Hull reviewed a series of studies, both published and unpublished, on four antidepressants, examining the question of whether a person's response to these drugs hinged on how depressed they were before getting treatment.

They were Eli Lilly and Co's Prozac, also known as fluoxetine, Wyeth's Effexor, also called venlafaxine; GlaxoSmithKline's Paxil, also called Seroxat or paroxetine, and Bristol-Myers Squibb Co's drug Serzone, also called nefazodone, which it no longer markets in the United States.

They are all so-called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, or SSRIs.

The researchers found that compared with placebo, these new-generation antidepressant medications did not yield clinically significant improvements in depression in patients who initially had moderate or even very severe depression. The study found that significant benefits occurred only in the most severely depressed patients.

"Drug-placebo differences in antidepressant efficacy increase as a function of baseline severity, but are relatively small even for severely depressed patients. The relationship between initial severity and antidepressant efficacy is attributable to decreased responsiveness to placebo among very severely depressed patients, rather than to increased responsiveness to medication," the researchers wrote.

The researchers obtained data on all the clinical trials submitted to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the licensing of the four drugs.

"Although patients get better when they take antidepressants, they also get better when they take a placebo, and the difference in improvement is not very great. This means that depressed people can improve without chemical treatments," Kirsch said in a statement.

But Mary Ann Rhyne, a spokeswoman for Paxil maker GSK, said the study only looked at data submitted prior to the drug's U.S. approval.

"The authors have failed to acknowledge the very positive benefit these treatments have provided to patients and their families who are dealing with depression and they are at odds with what has been seen in actual clinical practice," Rhyne said.

"This analysis has only examined a small subset of the total data available, while regulatory bodies around the world have conducted extensive reviews and evaluations of all of the data available," she said.

Now I will be seeing a new Psychiatrist this upcoming March because I had to change my insurance providers (Grrr). Ooh well.

By the way, for those who don't know, a Psychiatrist prescribes medication for mental imbalances (mostly); and a Psychologist is the physician that lays you down on a couch and listens to your problems. Usually people get those two professions twisted around.

WASHINGTON — Antidepressant medications appear to help only very severely depressed people and work no better than placebos in many patients, British researchers said.

Researchers led by Irving Kirsch of the University of Hull reviewed a series of studies, both published and unpublished, on four antidepressants, examining the question of whether a person's response to these drugs hinged on how depressed they were before getting treatment.

They were Eli Lilly and Co's Prozac, also known as fluoxetine, Wyeth's Effexor, also called venlafaxine; GlaxoSmithKline's Paxil, also called Seroxat or paroxetine, and Bristol-Myers Squibb Co's drug Serzone, also called nefazodone, which it no longer markets in the United States.

They are all so-called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, or SSRIs.

The researchers found that compared with placebo, these new-generation antidepressant medications did not yield clinically significant improvements in depression in patients who initially had moderate or even very severe depression. The study found that significant benefits occurred only in the most severely depressed patients.

"Drug-placebo differences in antidepressant efficacy increase as a function of baseline severity, but are relatively small even for severely depressed patients. The relationship between initial severity and antidepressant efficacy is attributable to decreased responsiveness to placebo among very severely depressed patients, rather than to increased responsiveness to medication," the researchers wrote.

The researchers obtained data on all the clinical trials submitted to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the licensing of the four drugs.

"Although patients get better when they take antidepressants, they also get better when they take a placebo, and the difference in improvement is not very great. This means that depressed people can improve without chemical treatments," Kirsch said in a statement.

But Mary Ann Rhyne, a spokeswoman for Paxil maker GSK, said the study only looked at data submitted prior to the drug's U.S. approval.

"The authors have failed to acknowledge the very positive benefit these treatments have provided to patients and their families who are dealing with depression and they are at odds with what has been seen in actual clinical practice," Rhyne said.

"This analysis has only examined a small subset of the total data available, while regulatory bodies around the world have conducted extensive reviews and evaluations of all of the data available," she said.

I refuse to take any despression medications, if I were to be despress. I would always find away to "snap out of it " without the despression drugs. I don't want drugs to take over my life and ruin my health. If I get despress I would find something to do to take my mind off it. :)

I refuse to take any despression medications, if I were to be despress. I would always find away to "snap out of it " without the despression drugs. I don't want drugs to take over my life and ruin my health. If I get despress I would find something to do to take my mind off it. :)

Absolutely, I am very against the psychiatrist medication to the human because of that medication chemical effect their physical and mental are not stabled. My job is administrated the medication to the clients everyday which I feel uncomfortable about this. It is my job; there is nothing else I can do. The doctor order on the medication sheet document, we follow what the psychiatrist and primary doctors order. :(

Now I will be seeing a new Psychiatrist this upcoming March because I had to change my insurance providers (Grrr). Ooh well.

By the way, for those who don't know, a Psychiatrist prescribes medication for mental imbalances (mostly); and a Psychologist is the physician that lays you down on a couch and listens to your problems. Usually people get those two professions twisted around.

While both are doctors, only psychiatrists are physicians. A psychologist is a Ph.D. The difference being that a psychiatrist, as a medical doctor, prescribes medication. Regarding therapy, however, both are equally qualified to treat mental illness through therapy, and they often work in conjuction with one another, with the psychiatrist providing medication, and the psychologist providing diagnosis and therapy. Recovery from a mental illness has been found to be most effective when medication and therapy are combined. And the "therapuetic couch" is a myth. It is a technique that has not been used for years.

I have been depressed for the past week. I had a major disruption in my life. and I am scared and don't know what to do. Please do not ask what had happened, but I just need some advice on how to get through a very dark time.

I have considered in getting some sort of counseling to help me and my children.
as I'm typing right now I am in tears. and don't know what to do. I know I am depressed because I can not eat, I can not sleep. Today was the first full day of work I had in a week. and it was hard to do that. I am not giving up my job or my life. I am just scared and sad right now. and sick of feeling this way.

Back