Do You Suffer From Clinical Depression or Bipolar Disorder?

And your kids will remember it forever. I certainly do about my stepmother.:(

i know, i actually talk with my kids and try to reassure them that i love them and my mood swings aren't their fault. my oldest just ignores me when i have a mood swing and my youngest really hasn't seen my worse. my husband can usually read my mood swings like a book and tries to make sure the kids are out of the line of fire by taking them up north when he knows i may be moodier than normal(the once a month time!!) all in all we talk and air our feelings out to each other so i know how my kids are dealing with everything including me!

I dont think one can be accurately diagnosed as 'bi-polar' until they are in their 20s. Children develop and their hormone levels change so drastically that it is normal for them to have mood swings. However thoughts of suicide and an ongoing depression should not be ignored.

i have been diagnosed w/bipolar. meds do help w/ moodswings but i can't function right-am tired all the time. so i don't take my meds and my family gets to put up w/superbitch(only 1/4 of the time)!!!!:giggle:
mostly i get moody once a month-but i have no patience most of the time. my kids have learned when not to mess w/ mom!!!

You're med incompliant if you don't take your meds everyday. If you are bipolar, you MUST take your medicine every SINGLE DAY. Your family shouldn't have to put up with your mood swings. And as for being tired from the meds, that will ease with time.

Very good point, Bottesini. Mental illness does not just affect the individual. It affects the entire family. This poster seems to believe that she is in control of her disorder, when in fact, I'm certain her family would tell exactly how out of control she is.

You are absolutely correct. My stepmother has affected me and my sister very much, and we will never forget what she has done to us.

i know, i actually talk with my kids and try to reassure them that i love them and my mood swings aren't their fault. my oldest just ignores me when i have a mood swing and my youngest really hasn't seen my worse. my husband can usually read my mood swings like a book and tries to make sure the kids are out of the line of fire by taking them up north when he knows i may be moodier than normal(the once a month time!!) all in all we talk and air our feelings out to each other so i know how my kids are dealing with everything including me!

The problem is, you are not taking resposnibility for dealing with your disorder. Youa re asking your family to take that responsibility. While they do need to understand your disorder, and to be tolerant of the symtpoms that are beyond your control, they should not have to arrange their lives around your disorder.

Asking them to take responsibility for dealing with what you yourself are responsible for changes the family dynamics, and will, indeed, have a profound effect on them and the whole family as a unit. You have simply placed them in a position of having to accept that for which they bear no responsibility. That is destructive to children.

Your husband should not have to remove the kids from the line of fire. You should be doing what you need to do to make sure that you remove yourself if you feel yourself getting out of control. Your family cannot manage yoru disorder for you. That is something you have to do yourself. You will benefit, and they will benefit. They are, at this point, doing no more than enabling you to continue in your unhealthy behaviors.

You are absolutely correct. My stepmother has affected me and my sister very much, and we will never forget what she has done to us.

See my post above. We cannot ask our families to take responsibility for managing our disorders. We must do that ourselves. Failure to do so creates victims, and all too often, it is the chidlren that are victimized the worst.

Understanding that mommy called me names and threw things because she is bi-polar is not enough. A child, even though understanding that on an intellectual level, still suffers the negative effects on an emotional level.

The problem is, you are not taking resposnibility for dealing with your disorder. Youa re asking your family to take that responsibility. While they do need to understand your disorder, and to be tolerant of the symtpoms that are beyond your control, they should not have to arrange their lives around your disorder.

Asking them to take responsibility for dealing with what you yourself are responsible for changes the family dynamics, and will, indeed, have a profound effect on them and the whole family as a unit. You have simply placed them in a position of having to accept that for which they bear no responsibility. That is destructive to children.

Your husband should not have to remove the kids from the line of fire. You should be doing what you need to do to make sure that you remove yourself if you feel yourself getting out of control. Your family cannot manage yoru disorder for you. That is something you have to do yourself. You will benefit, and they will benefit. They are, at this point, doing no more than enabling you to continue in your unhealthy behaviors.

I agree! :gpost:

[
Well I just blew up last night with my husband, and he felt that I have bi-polar and I told him he needs to understand it has nothing to do with bi-polar disorder. It has to do with my foods which trigged my mood swing, of course which bring my blood sugar high after I ate those dessert Friday night and last night. Now I can feel it in my body, take one or two days for my body go back to normal. Then also I am still leaking from breast so which my medicine is not strong enough to prevent that which it effect my mood swing. So I am so sick of everyone use this label anyone who has mood swing problem as bi-polar disorder. Even now my 6 years old nephew was diagnosied by his dr as having bi-polar disorder because of his going thru up and down. I don't blame him because of his dad whom is always gone for days or weeks.

If I skip meals and this is a no no for diabetics, I can become irritable and short fused or confused. I've had my own parents tell me I need to take anger mangement classes after I lost my temper once; they chose to ingore my request to have a meal first and diabetic hunger hurts if you skip meals. I know that I don't always do a good job of keeping diabetes under control.

Well said. I actually have a short fuse but most people don't know it because I will remove myself if at all possible if I can in order to avoid saying things I wish I had not said to them. I tend to avoid certain threads for this reason as well.

If I skip meals and this is a no no for diabetics, I can become irritable and short fused or confused. I've had my own parents tell me I need to take anger mangement classes after I lost my temper once; they chose to ingore my request to have a meal first and diabetic hunger hurts if you skip meals. I know that I don't always do a good job of keeping diabetes under control.

That is one of the reasons that we must always rule out a medical condition that could be responsible for the behavior that a person is exhibiting. If it is suspected that an individual has a medical condition that could be responsible, an ehtical couselor will refer out for a complete medical work up rather than simply assuming the behavior is the result of a mental disorder.

Well said. I actually have a short fuse but most people don't know it because I will remove myself if at all possible if I can in order to avoid saying things I wish I had not said to them. I tend to avoid certain threads for this reason as well.

Thank you! Personal responsibility is the name of the game.

Good. I'm glad you are going to see a psychologist for diagnosis. Will you be okay with it if they tell you that you have a different primary diagnosis?

Yeah I'll be fine with different diagnosis. My parents are little wacky my mom she's weird like she can convince herself enough that everything's fine and good even if she's in shithole and delusional like I told her to not to talk to me till she believe I'm innocent (she keep telling me she's neutral and know dad's lying but she repeat same bs dad been telling everyone lie about me and my mom said exactly same thing but still say she's neutral idk but its getting old) and she didn't talk to me for 2 weeks then she asked how was my 4th of july like nothing happened of course I didn't replied just left it as it is and she been telling everyone I'm dead (what? Lol) and my brother is like "she's fine she just don't want you talk to her till you believe she's innocent" but she don't seem to understand it and keep saying I hate her and I disowned her and I'm dead so she won't send me money (my dad the one that disowned me and I did nothing to mom so she did it all by herself)
And my dad got diagnosis by therapist told him he have schizophrenia but he said no he dont have it he's fine and therapist is just lying for money.
He's one of those typical paranoid schizophrenic believing stuff like government is sending out helicopter and plane to fly over his house with red laser xray to see through house to see that he's growing marijuana way over limit (he have medical card for it) and he used to believe that little box thing on telephone pole is government stuff that have camera watching the house lol.
My brother derek have severe anxiety problems and depression and ryan's bipolar (diagnosis from his therapist when he went to mental hospital) so I guess we're kooky family lol

...so I guess we're kooky family lol

SkullChick,

I gathered from your post that you were being sarcastic, but nonetheless I wanted to say that mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have bipolar but am not embarrassed to admit that fact to my family and friends because it is part of who I am. This also helps them understand my manic and depressive behavior on days when I'm not doing so well. Mental illness has enough of a stigma attached to it and we need to help educate others about the abilities, aspirations and dreams of people with mental illness so that the general public isn't afraid and instead decides to seek help for themselves or a loved one. Granted, I can say this now after having a loved one step in when I needed help, but this is what I truly believe. Is your family crazy? No...normal and trying to do the best they can from day to day? Yes. Just like me and millions of others with mental illness.

Yeah I'll be fine with different diagnosis. My parents are little wacky my mom she's weird like she can convince herself enough that everything's fine and good even if she's in shithole and delusional like I told her to not to talk to me till she believe I'm innocent (she keep telling me she's neutral and know dad's lying but she repeat same bs dad been telling everyone lie about me and my mom said exactly same thing but still say she's neutral idk but its getting old) and she didn't talk to me for 2 weeks then she asked how was my 4th of july like nothing happened of course I didn't replied just left it as it is and she been telling everyone I'm dead (what? Lol) and my brother is like "she's fine she just don't want you talk to her till you believe she's innocent" but she don't seem to understand it and keep saying I hate her and I disowned her and I'm dead so she won't send me money (my dad the one that disowned me and I did nothing to mom so she did it all by herself)
And my dad got diagnosis by therapist told him he have schizophrenia but he said no he dont have it he's fine and therapist is just lying for money.
He's one of those typical paranoid schizophrenic believing stuff like government is sending out helicopter and plane to fly over his house with red laser xray to see through house to see that he's growing marijuana way over limit (he have medical card for it) and he used to believe that little box thing on telephone pole is government stuff that have camera watching the house lol.
My brother derek have severe anxiety problems and depression and ryan's bipolar (diagnosis from his therapist when he went to mental hospital) so I guess we're kooky family lol

It is not unusual for a pattern of mental disorders like you describe to run in families. It is a combination of genetic predisposition, and environmental influences that cause the disorder to manifest. And for the schizophrenic to be non-complaint with medication is also something that is typical of the disease. That fact alone is responsible for repeated hospitilizations.

First degree relatives of a diagnosed schizophrenic (i.e. sons and daughters) have a 10 times greater risk of developing scizophrenia than someone without a parent with the disorder. They also have a greater risk for Schizoaffective Disorder and Schizotypal Personality Disorder. So, given the history that you have just given me, you are at a higher risk. You may be right on target with your diagnosis, but I am glad that you are going for assessment to be certain. There are some symptoms of the various Bi-Poalr Disorders that will mimic schizophrenic or schizophrenic spectrum disorders.

I commend you on recognizing that you have some problems, and doing what you can to address them. That takes a great degree of insight and courage. Please know that if you need support, or a place to vent, I am available through P.M.

SkullChick,

I gathered from your post that you were being sarcastic, but nonetheless I wanted to say that mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have bipolar but am not embarrassed to admit that fact to my family and friends because it is part of who I am. This also helps them understand my manic and depressive behavior on days when I'm not doing so well. Mental illness has enough of a stigma attached to it and we need to help educate others about the abilities, aspirations and dreams of people with mental illness so that the general public isn't afraid and instead decides to seek help for themselves or a loved one. Granted, I can say this now after having a loved one step in when I needed help, but this is what I truly believe. Is your family crazy? No...normal and trying to do the best they can from day to day? Yes. Just like me and millions of others with mental illness.

:gpost::gpost:

Oh yes, I know what you mean, when I skipped a meal. I get irrated and moody. My poor husband had to deal with me sometime. Now he understands more and try to calm me down.

SkullChick,

I have two sisters who have PTSD and it is not easy for me and my family to deal with their mental illnesses. I have to watch what I say to them or they get too sensitve and upset. I am sad really to think about it and they have to live with it for rest of their life.

And your kids will remember it forever. I certainly do about my stepmother.
*waving at you on the same boat* ..and they're ones who decide your nursing home!

so jillio, if I take some of your posts - intentionally or not - offended, does that makes me mentally ill?

dixie, I totally feel you. indeed I would say I'm luckier - I had 8 in pattern. each friendship length kept getting shorter; shorter and reasons became more complicated each time. very strange. and insanely interesting.

:hug: lucia, I'm the same when I see my mother. not just a while ago I politely had to go to my sister's wedding while I didn't really wanted to - usually I don't cry over my family destruction but I did after the long day. it was apple (hard), orange (somewhat bitter) and onion (devastated) seeing them. our lives aren't full of blueberries or mangoes.

now, somebody, if anyone ingores my question(s), it ticks me off instantly (but ingored easily). should I be medicated? for that?

this thread sucks anyway. :dunno:

*waving at you on the same boat* ..and they're ones who decide your nursing home!

so jillio, if I take some of your posts - intentionally or not - offended, does that makes me mentally ill?
dixie, I totally feel you. indeed I would say I'm luckier - I had 8 in pattern. each friendship length kept getting shorter; shorter and reasons became more complicated each time. very strange. and insanely interesting.

:hug: lucia, I'm the same when I see my mother. not just a while ago I politely had to go to my sister's wedding while I didn't really wanted to - usually I don't cry over my family destruction but I did after the long day. it was apple (hard), orange (somewhat bitter) and onion (devastated) seeing them. our lives aren't full of blueberries or mangoes.

now, somebody, if anyone ingores my question(s), it ticks me off instantly (but ingored easily). should I be medicated? for that?

this thread sucks anyway. :dunno:

Your question is rather obscure. You will have to elaborate on what offended you and why for me to be able to even fathom a guess as to the reasons you might have been offended.

Does it make you mentally ill? Couldn't say without a complete history and several assessments.

Getting angry because someone doesn't answer your question in the time frame that you have allotted? May indicate that you are impatient, somewhat self-centered, and have difficulty controlling anger. Do those behaviors mean you need to be medicated? I'd say probably not. Sounds more neurotic than mentally ill.

This thread sucks? Not to those that have questions they would like to have answered and are anxious to learn. But to base the value of the thread on your opinion only is just another indication of neurotic self centeredness. If you are not interested in the conversations taking place, the solution would be not to bother coming to this particualr thread.

Back