Do You Suffer From Clinical Depression or Bipolar Disorder?

of course me too i am in therapy for my depression and anxiety with fear
i have been in therapy for a year now.

of course me too i am in therapy for my depression and anxiety with fear
i have been in therapy for a year now.

Good for you, moonflower. I hope it is going well for you. It is a long road, and often a tough one, to recovery. I admire your strength in seeking out help.

yes jillio
it is long road to recovery for me when i am dealing with lot of things around me.
smile

When I get those "slumps" I feel like my life is worthless and destinated for doom and gloom. I HATE those "slumps"!
Maybe it is your hormones rule those feelings? I pay attention to my body and how it works so I do know when I do not get enough sleep, deal with stress, bad diets, not enough exercise, I tend to get those feelings. My husband is on depression medicine because he sat down and cried everyday. It is not normal to see a man to cry and depression.

Agreed. They aren't fun to go through. And just when you needs lots of :hug: people seem to avoid you because they are unsure how to react to your depressed mood. So,here is a bunch of :hug: cuz I don't care what kind of mood you are in. I still think you are one of the most special people I know!

Awww!!! Thanks to u and Jazzy.

Actually I am not in a slump now..was thinking of the times I was. I am sure I will experience it again. I just hate them.

Awww!!! Thanks to u and Jazzy.

Actually I am not in a slump now..was thinking of the times I was. I am sure I will experience it again. I just hate them.

I know what you mean...I go through it, too. I don't like myself very much when I'm in that frame of mind.

Agreed. They aren't fun to go through. And just when you needs lots of :hug: people seem to avoid you because they are unsure how to react to your depressed mood. So,here is a bunch of :hug: cuz I don't care what kind of mood you are in. I still think you are one of the most special people I know!

Ain't that the truth--whether one is suffering from depression or if a loved one has died.

I know what you mean...I go through it, too. I don't like myself very much when I'm in that frame of mind.

What always gets me through episodes like that is a hot bubble bath and aromatherpy.

If you can look at it this way, when one is depressed, it's your body/mind/emotional state telling you its time to make time for you.

What always gets me through episodes like that is a hot bubble bath and aromatherpy.

If you can look at it this way, when one is depressed, it's your body/mind/emotional state telling you its time to make time for you.

Absolutely.

Ive once been told by a former boss that I am extremely moody - like one day Im fine, the next Im all pissy and shit then I'll be like that for 2-3 days then I'll be off the damn walls, then it just starts all over again.

Then he went to so far as to say that I probably needed to try some medications.

I told him its normal for me, Ive been that way for as long as I can remember. And that he needs to mind his own buisness!

Although some days I fee like I'm losing my mind - I think everyone has these days - I call it human emotion. Why medicate something that God gave us? Why go through life feeling numb from joy and happiness as well as the pain and sorrows?

You know what happens when you take depression pills right? Sex is dead. And when you take very strong bipolar (manic depression) pills, not only are you dead but you're dead and buried- nothing, and I mean nothing, can spark a reaction.

Worse yet: Single and not married...what woman will want to be with such a man??? Alone till death I suppose.

You know what happens when you take depression pills right? Sex is dead. And when you take very strong bipolar (manic depression) pills, not only are you dead but you're dead and buried- nothing, and I mean nothing, can spark a reaction.

Worse yet: Single and not married...what woman will want to be with such a man??? Alone till death I suppose.

Sexual dysfunction can be a side effect with some antidepressants. However, it is not a given. It depends on the individual, the medication being taken, and the dosage necessary to control the depressive symptoms.

Likewise, sexual dysfunction can also be a side effect of the depression itself. There are those who need medication simply to perform the essential functions of self care and to get through the day. Someone who is severely depressed is not going to be engaging in sexual activity when they can't even get out of bed long enough to feed themselves. The pros and cons of medication must be weighed in each individual case.

Ive once been told by a former boss that I am extremely moody - like one day Im fine, the next Im all pissy and shit then I'll be like that for 2-3 days then I'll be off the damn walls, then it just starts all over again.

Then he went to so far as to say that I probably needed to try some medications.

I told him its normal for me, Ive been that way for as long as I can remember. And that he needs to mind his own buisness!

Although some days I fee like I'm losing my mind - I think everyone has these days - I call it human emotion. Why medicate something that God gave us? Why go through life feeling numb from joy and happiness as well as the pain and sorrows?

Everyone does not have extreme mood swings without a precipitating event. For those that do, and for those that are experiencing problems related to those mood swings as well as significant distress, medication is necessary to function. For the person with Bipolar Disorder, meds level out the extremes in the moods. If one has spent a significant amount of time never being level, and experiencing only exteme highs and extreme lows, the middle of the road can seem flat. However, the middle of the road is where those without Bipolar Disorder are the majority of the time.

Sexual dysfunction can be a side effect with some antidepressants. However, it is not a given. It depends on the individual, the medication being taken, and the dosage necessary to control the depressive symptoms.

Likewise, sexual dysfunction can also be a side effect of the depression itself. There are those who need medication simply to perform the essential functions of self care and to get through the day. Someone who is severely depressed is not going to be engaging in sexual activity when they can't even get out of bed long enough to feed themselves. The pros and cons of medication must be weighed in each individual case.

Interesting. I'll tell you this: I would much rather have my bipolar under control via meds and not be sexual, than actually enjoying the act of love. It's a no brainer for me.

Interesting. I'll tell you this: I would much rather have my bipolar under control via meds and not be sexual, than actually enjoying the act of love. It's a no brainer for me.

Good for you. Sexual activity is but one small part of life. Without meds, most individuals with Bipolar Disorder are unable to enjoy any part of life.

That may be true but I'd rather be able to feel, don't you know that I'm one horny cat? :lol:

By the way I dont believe in medicating if you can maintain control yourself. The majority of problems I believe are in the over-medication of individuals, and drug companies pushing doctors to prescribe the medications for profit.

However that is not to say that people don't need medications. Some people do need them and I'm OK with it. If they feel that they cannot maintain control without the use of medicine or their case is severe enough to warrant medication then I am happy for them. Every person has to do what they feel is right for themselves.

But unfortunately some people have lost control without realizing it, forcing their family to act for them and get them some help.

That may be true but I'd rather be able to feel, don't you know that I'm one horny cat? :lol:

By the way I dont believe in medicating if you can maintain control yourself. The majority of problems I believe are in the over-medication of individuals, and drug companies pushing doctors to prescribe the medications for profit.

However that is not to say that people don't need medications. Some people do need them and I'm OK with it. If they feel that they cannot maintain control without the use of medicine or their case is severe enough to warrant medication then I am happy for them. Every person has to do what they feel is right for themselves.

But unfortunately some people have lost control without realizing it, forcing their family to act for them and get them some help.

**nodding agreement**

:gpost: I agree with you!

I have bipolar II, PTSD, GAD, and few other things. I've got enough "brain cooties" to keep a therapist busy for a VERY long time. :giggle: My meds, along with therapy, has kept me relatively stable and functional.

It's true that I don't experience very many sexual urges, but that's OK with me. I'd rather be on the meds, because without them I *know* I'd be living in a residential facility, and frankly, that scares the living Hell out of me.

I've read that bipolar worsens with age if medication is not taken. Does anyone (Jillio?) know if that's true?

Back