Do You Suffer From Clinical Depression or Bipolar Disorder?

tom C, is weirdo no effects

i hope everyone here would be alright and dealing with bi polar and depression
i am dealing with my own depression myself sometimes i have good days and bad days for few weeks now i have more bad days than good days but good thing i still go to therapy.

I am bipolar, been diagnosed at 15 yrs old (now 21), probably would've been diagnosed earlier except my fear of doctors don't help.

I have been in and out of mental health hospital a couple of times now. It sucks really my mind is fucked up and i hate it. I take meds but sometime when i feel happy or good i think i dun need them anymore, then my parent find out and watch me. there are demons in my head that tells me what to do, my mind is alway, ALWAYS running, no matter what it always thinking, always talking. All day and night my mind talks and talks and talks, and wont shut up.

I know a man who is bipolar, and he teaches meditation at church. He's a man that does meditation daily. He said it is a MUST for him. Meditation is for everyone. With time, it will help quiet your mind.

Oh that fanatic, Tom Cruise..geez..He is so
obessed with his religion, Scientology that he
tries to convert his family and friends to that
church. I read somewhere that he is now trying
to convert his in-laws who are Catholics! Unreal!
He needs to shove that *%#@ up his arse, lol!

Anybody like that fanatic needs to quit shoving
his religion down other people's throats..it is rude,
really. Everybody have a right to choose his/her
religion without people like Tom C. trying to convert
everybody to his own religion...:roll:
I cant stand people like that....grrr.

P.S....sorry to go off the topic..heh.

Well, everyone is free to believe what they wish. However, a person shouldn't criticise someone else for adhering to different beliefs; especially when it comes to medical or psychiatric conditions.

I do not believe sheer will combats/cures depression or any mental illness for that manner. That's all I have to say about that.

You are correct. No more than sheer will can cure cancer.

Sometimes sheer will can also cause one to refuse help until they have done something to force them to seek help. As Hear Again said - a lot of the time the person is dx not because they sought help, it is because their loved ones have sought help for them.

That is the thing about mental disorders, your outlook is fogged due to the chemical imbalance in your brain. You have no idea your losing it. You may have a feeling your losing it, but you dont really believe it and you tell yourself you're over reacting. Until your outlook becomes so fogged you can't even see far enough ahead to make rational decisions.

Sometimes sheer will can also cause one to refuse help until they have done something to force them to seek help. As Hear Again said - a lot of the time the person is dx not because they sought help, it is because their loved ones have sought help for them.

That is the thing about mental disorders, your outlook is fogged due to the chemical imbalance in your brain. You have no idea your losing it. You may have a feeling your losing it, but you dont really believe it and you tell yourself you're over reacting. Until your outlook becomes so fogged you can't even see far enough ahead to make rational decisions.

So true, Dixie. The whole point is that the person with a mental illness does not see that they are ill. If they don't believe they are ill, they do not seek treatment for their illness.

No but I'm pretty sure I have schizotypal personality disorder though, I been researching, looking around to find what's wrong with me and I finally found it recently that matched perfectly like you won't believe, its hard to accept but at same time its relief to find something. I do want seek psychologist (no interest into taking meds so no psycharist) but I'm not driving on my own yet but plan on in august if I pass license test. Then I'll ask my doctor to find me someone to talk to. So I basically self-diagnosed as schizotypal personality disorder.
Lemme find link I'll post it in other post in couple minutes

Here's the link if you're interested
Schizotypal personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Short description of it:
Schizotypal personality disorder , or simply schizotypal disorder , is a personality disorder that is characterized by a need for social isolation , odd behavior and thinking, and often unconventional beliefs.

I want to point out some of what link said how its for me so here's my explaination.

Link said this part.

The schizotypal individual develops a fear of, strong objection to, or incapacity for social interaction, due to the sum of their past social experiences being negative in nature. As infants they do not learn how to interact with others, and as children and adults this inability quickly makes them a target for other people. Eventually, the individual learns (most often unconsciously) to see people as harmful and a source of negativity, suffering and ostracization.

My statement to this:
I've had load of negative experience from other people so I developed extremely mistrust with stranger, even my own family I always worry if my dad or brothers'll come in room to rape or kill me in my sleep, I never drink my drink if someone moved it or saw them touching it because I think they spit in it or put poison in it or put their germ on it to get me sick on purpose that's with my family or strangers only but with my fiance jason or his close family member I'm fine if they move my drink. And I don't really try to makes friend with people because I always believe they don't want to be my friend at the point I almost believe some kind of higher being or spirit told everyone to not to be my friend and to be mean to me but I know its irrational thought but it does come across my mind sometimes but I never believed it.

Link said this:

This leads to the development of "ideas of reference," in which the schizotypal individual believes that events are of special relevance to them or that benign events are somehow related to them (e.g., sees two people laughing and believes that the people are laughing at them). The individual may realize that their ideas of reference are
irrational, but maintains them nonetheless.

my statement to that:
I always constantly think if I saw people laughing, they're laughing at me, or if someone's near me talking and if I saw them looking at me I'd think they're talking about me.

Link said this:

Odd beliefs or magical thinking that influences behavior and is inconsistent with subcultural norms (e.g., superstitiousness, belief in clairvoyance, telepathy, or "sixth sense"; in children and adolescents, bizarre fantasies or preoccupations)

My statement:
I believe that if I ask for something in opposite of what I want it will come out in opposite of what I asked for so I get what I want for example if I'm approaching to traffic light I'll say red light over and over again to makes it go green by time we got there
And other one is sometimes I get anxiety of choking or anything related to eating/swallowing food/drinks I'd touch my right ear because somehow I think it help preventing whatever might happen in swallowing food or drinks.

Link said this:

Unusual perceptual experiences, including bodily illusions

My statement:
I have weird idea that I think my hip are huge often when its only 33 inch around

Link said this:

Odd thinking and speech (e.g., vague, circumstantial, metaphorical, overelaborate, or stereotyped)

My statement:
Let say I say most random things because I lack in skill of initating and keep convo going with people so I'll talk about what I saw on egypt documentary to people in middle of their turn when someone's driving. And I don't know if my thinking is usual so no comment on that lol

Link said this:

Suspiciousness or paranoid ideation
Inappropriate or constricted affect
Behavior or appearance that is odd, eccentric, or peculiar

My statement:
Yeah in high school I hated to match clothes so I wear most mismatched clothes possible. And sometimes I'd behave in unusual, weird manner and don't remember or realized what I did.

Link said this:

Lack of close friends or confidants other than first-degree relatives
Social anxiety that tends to be associated with paranoid fears rather than negative judgments about self

My statement:
Yeah its obvious in my other many posts that I don't have any friends only 2 and I'm not close to my family at all they're practially strangers that lived with me for most of my life and I'm still working on bonding better with my fiance jason I've been with him for almost 2 years its very difficult for me.

Here's the link if you're interested
Schizotypal personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Short description of it:
Schizotypal personality disorder , or simply schizotypal disorder , is a personality disorder that is characterized by a need for social isolation , odd behavior and thinking, and often unconventional beliefs.

I want to point out some of what link said how its for me so here's my explaination.

Link said this part.

The schizotypal individual develops a fear of, strong objection to, or incapacity for social interaction, due to the sum of their past social experiences being negative in nature. As infants they do not learn how to interact with others, and as children and adults this inability quickly makes them a target for other people. Eventually, the individual learns (most often unconsciously) to see people as harmful and a source of negativity, suffering and ostracization.

My statement to this:
I've had load of negative experience from other people so I developed extremely mistrust with stranger, even my own family I always worry if my dad or brothers'll come in room to rape or kill me in my sleep, I never drink my drink if someone moved it or saw them touching it because I think they spit in it or put poison in it or put their germ on it to get me sick on purpose that's with my family or strangers only but with my fiance jason or his close family member I'm fine if they move my drink. And I don't really try to makes friend with people because I always believe they don't want to be my friend at the point I almost believe some kind of higher being or spirit told everyone to not to be my friend and to be mean to me but I know its irrational thought but it does come across my mind sometimes but I never believed it.

Link said this:

This leads to the development of "ideas of reference," in which the schizotypal individual believes that events are of special relevance to them or that benign events are somehow related to them (e.g., sees two people laughing and believes that the people are laughing at them). The individual may realize that their ideas of reference are
irrational, but maintains them nonetheless.

my statement to that:
I always constantly think if I saw people laughing, they're laughing at me, or if someone's near me talking and if I saw them looking at me I'd think they're talking about me.

Link said this:

Odd beliefs or magical thinking that influences behavior and is inconsistent with subcultural norms (e.g., superstitiousness, belief in clairvoyance, telepathy, or "sixth sense"; in children and adolescents, bizarre fantasies or preoccupations)

My statement:
I believe that if I ask for something in opposite of what I want it will come out in opposite of what I asked for so I get what I want for example if I'm approaching to traffic light I'll say red light over and over again to makes it go green by time we got there
And other one is sometimes I get anxiety of choking or anything related to eating/swallowing food/drinks I'd touch my right ear because somehow I think it help preventing whatever might happen in swallowing food or drinks.

Link said this:

Unusual perceptual experiences, including bodily illusions

My statement:
I have weird idea that I think my hip are huge often when its only 33 inch around

Link said this:

Odd thinking and speech (e.g., vague, circumstantial, metaphorical, overelaborate, or stereotyped)

My statement:
Let say I say most random things because I lack in skill of initating and keep convo going with people so I'll talk about what I saw on egypt documentary to people in middle of their turn when someone's driving. And I don't know if my thinking is usual so no comment on that lol

Link said this:

Suspiciousness or paranoid ideation
Inappropriate or constricted affect
Behavior or appearance that is odd, eccentric, or peculiar

My statement:
Yeah in high school I hated to match clothes so I wear most mismatched clothes possible. And sometimes I'd behave in unusual, weird manner and don't remember or realized what I did.

Link said this:

Lack of close friends or confidants other than first-degree relatives
Social anxiety that tends to be associated with paranoid fears rather than negative judgments about self

My statement:
Yeah its obvious in my other many posts that I don't have any friends only 2 and I'm not close to my family at all they're practially strangers that lived with me for most of my life and I'm still working on bonding better with my fiance jason I've been with him for almost 2 years its very difficult for me.

Just a word of caution: I wouldn't use Wiki as a basis for self diagnosis. In fact, I wouldn't self diagnose at all. Best to have a complete assessment if you feel have a disorder. Even the professionals go to another therapist if they are having problems, rather than diagnose themselves.

Just a word of caution: I wouldn't use Wiki as a basis for self diagnosis. In fact, I wouldn't self diagnose at all. Best to have a complete assessment if you feel have a disorder. Even the professionals go to another therapist if they are having problems, rather than diagnose themselves.

No I know that, I did said I want to see psychologist soon anyways so I just want to makes sure and get confirmed on what I have and help deal with it better or whatever without meds
I'm just saying I'm pretty sure but I'm not like 100% confirmed said this is it for sure you know?

No I know that, I did said I want to see psychologist soon anyways so I just want to makes sure and get confirmed on what I have and help deal with it better or whatever without meds
I'm just saying I'm pretty sure but I'm not like 100% confirmed said this is it for sure you know?

Good. I'm glad you are going to see a psychologist for diagnosis. Will you be okay with it if they tell you that you have a different primary diagnosis?

i have been diagnosed w/bipolar. meds do help w/ moodswings but i can't function right-am tired all the time. so i don't take my meds and my family gets to put up w/superbitch(only 1/4 of the time)!!!!:giggle:
mostly i get moody once a month-but i have no patience most of the time. my kids have learned when not to mess w/ mom!!!

i have been diagnosed w/bipolar. meds do help w/ moodswings but i can't function right-am tired all the time. so i don't take my meds and my family gets to put up w/superbitch(only 1/4 of the time)!!!!:giggle:
mostly i get moody once a month-but i have no patience most of the time. my kids have learned when not to mess w/ mom!!!

And your kids will remember it forever. I certainly do about my stepmother.:(

Thats the way I grew up as well. Like one moment mom would be nice fine and happy and the next she's flown off the handle again, I don't know why.

There were many a time I ran to my room and cried for hours after getting a verbal lashing.

Dad was just plain harsh. I mean growing up, nothing I did was worth his attention.

Later on in my teens I had zero frieds, the target of bullies, the victim of incest, and I developed an E.D. I was starving myself when in reality I was starving for attention and a little bit of compassion.

It took a wonderful woman with unimaginable strength to put up with me and help me gain a sense of myself. She later married and moved off. We're still friends, but as the times have changed so has the relationship. After she moved I felt completely lost, then another woman came in and sort of filled the void for a while anyway. It was almost like she knew I was about to slip through the cracks again, so she reached out and held on.
Then she moved off as well and got married. (Dammit I'm starting to see a pattern here) Unfortunately we have fallen out of contact with each other and we no longer see each other.

Just goes to show that sometimes in a person's darkest moments they dont always need a drug or an expensive counselor, sometimes the person just needs a decent friend to hold on to.

I just wish like hell right now that I can find another wonderful person like that in my life. Those kinds of people I have found are extremely hard to come by. I just got lucky and got two in a row.

And your kids will remember it forever. I certainly do about my stepmother.:(

Very good point, Bottesini. Mental illness does not just affect the individual. It affects the entire family. This poster seems to believe that she is in control of her disorder, when in fact, I'm certain her family would tell exactly how out of control she is.

Thats the way I grew up as well. Like one moment mom would be nice fine and happy and the next she's flown off the handle again, I don't know why.

There were many a time I ran to my room and cried for hours after getting a verbal lashing.

Dad was just plain harsh. I mean growing up, nothing I did was worth his attention.

Later on in my teens I had zero frieds, the target of bullies, the victim of incest, and I developed an E.D. I was starving myself when in reality I was starving for attention and a little bit of compassion.

It took a wonderful woman with unimaginable strength to put up with me and help me gain a sense of myself. She later married and moved off. We're still friends, but as the times have changed so has the relationship. After she moved I felt completely lost, then another woman came in and sort of filled the void for a while anyway. It was almost like she knew I was about to slip through the cracks again, so she reached out and held on.
Then she moved off as well and got married. (Dammit I'm starting to see a pattern here) Unfortunately we have fallen out of contact with each other and we no longer see each other.

Just goes to show that sometimes in a person's darkest moments they dont always need a drug or an expensive counselor, sometimes the person just needs a decent friend to hold on to.

I just wish like hell right now that I can find another wonderful person like that in my life. Those kinds of people I have found are extremely hard to come by. I just got lucky and got two in a row.

Very lucky, indeed, Dixie!

[
Well I just blew up last night with my husband, and he felt that I have bi-polar and I told him he needs to understand it has nothing to do with bi-polar disorder. It has to do with my foods which trigged my mood swing, of course which bring my blood sugar high after I ate those dessert Friday night and last night. Now I can feel it in my body, take one or two days for my body go back to normal. Then also I am still leaking from breast so which my medicine is not strong enough to prevent that which it effect my mood swing. So I am so sick of everyone use this label anyone who has mood swing problem as bi-polar disorder. Even now my 6 years old nephew was diagnosied by his dr as having bi-polar disorder because of his going thru up and down. I don't blame him because of his dad whom is always gone for days or weeks.

[
Well I just blew up last night with my husband, and he felt that I have bi-polar and I told him he needs to understand it has nothing to do with bi-polar disorder. It has to do with my foods which trigged my mood swing, of course which bring my blood sugar high after I ate those dessert Friday night and last night. Now I can feel it in my body, take one or two days for my body go back to normal. Then also I am still leaking from breast so which my medicine is not strong enough to prevent that which it effect my mood swing. So I am so sick of everyone use this label anyone who has mood swing problem as bi-polar disorder. Even now my 6 years old nephew was diagnosied by his dr as having bi-polar disorder because of his going thru up and down. I don't blame him because of his dad whom is always gone for days or weeks.

I agree with you,jazzy. I think "bi-polar" has become the popular phrase to describe many different things that don't actually qualify for a diagnosis of bi-polar disorder. I especially have trouble with the diagnosis in kids that age.

I agree with you,jazzy. I think "bi-polar" has become the popular phrase to describe many different things that don't actually qualify for a diagnosis of bi-polar disorder. I especially have trouble with the diagnosis in kids that age.
Thanks, I feel better after I took nap this afternoon but I still have red on my face so my hormones is way out of wacky. I have to wait till appt with my dr next month to deal with my medicine. I do have trouble with my sister in law and brother in law using this word on our nephew. It is already affected him now that he may believe there is something wrong with himself. I think it is way too young for him to think this way. He should be outside and play and be a normal young boy.

Back