Do You Suffer From Clinical Depression or Bipolar Disorder?

I will be the first one to say that some people need meds. I just don't like how some drs will perscribe meds without hardly talking to the person first. Try to deal with the problem first, and medicate if it's needed.

I agree with you ... I carefully work with my doctor -- ask many questions and discuss the side effects. Again We discuss which medicine that works for me. I see therapy too.

Wait a minute.....someone was knowlingly witholding prescribed meds from individuals?

No. Not that I know of, but Kalista is said to be against psychotropic medication. I wasn't implying (or didn't mean to imply) she withheld medication, but was speaking generally. I simply mean that any therapist who knowingly withholds medication referral from a patient is being negligent.

Actually that person who is a mental health residential counselor. -- not a therapist. It is against a law to withhold medicines from the MH residents. She has to administer otherwise bye bye. My impression .. why does she work there even she opposes giving out the psych medicines to clients at her work. That bothers me a lot. Taking medicines is nothing with it. If you have a headache.. you take an aspirin. It is the same thing. Of course -- carefully discuss with the psychiatrist about the medicines, side effects and so on.

Many therapist must refer clients to seek the psychiatrist for an evaluation if they needs medicine or not.

No. Not that I know of, but Kalista is said to be against psychotropic medication. I wasn't implying (or didn't mean to imply) she withheld medication, but was speaking generally. I simply mean that any therapist who knowingly withholds medication referral from a patient is being negligent.

Oh, okay. Gotcha. I agree....referral for psychotopic meds should always be a part of the therapeutic process and refusal to do so for someone who clearly needs them is negligent.

Actually that person who is a mental health residential counselor. -- not a therapist. It is against a law to withhold medicines from the MH residents. She has to administer otherwise bye bye. My impression .. why does she work there even she opposes giving out the psych medicines to clients at her work. That bothers me a lot. Taking medicines is nothing with it. If you have a headache.. you take an aspirin. It is the same thing. Of course -- carefully discuss with the psychiatrist about the medicines, side effects and so on.

Many therapist must refer clients to seek the psychiatrist for an evaluation if they needs medicine or not.

As these patients are in a residential facility, the need for their meds is obvious. They don't commit people to residential facilities except in extreme cases, and usually not unless they are a danger to themselves or others.

I agree with you ... I carefully work with my doctor -- ask many questions and discuss the side effects. Again We discuss which medicine that works for me. I see therapy too.

You are doing it the way it should be done.

Of course I agree-- if consumers live in the half way house or group home (for extra support and get ready to go into a real world again). They take medicines or not ... Up to them thou. (it is because of the human rights policy) I am a consumer myself ;-) I live independently and many more!

About Manic Clinical Depression or Bipolar Disorder?

I know someone who has that ...Oh gawd it's a nightmare!:iough:

I ended up with someone who's exactly like Dr.Jekyll:evil: and Mr.Hyde:) nice and here I'am like this :Ohno:with my hair flyin in the air..LOL!

Here's the problem with that...

There are people who can't make gains in therapy until they are medicated. If you have a patient who is so depressed and anxious that their symptoms would interfere with the therapy process, you would first need to medicate the patient, so that they can work with the therapist, and make meaningful gains towards recovery of their illness.

The thing is, you don't know if they can make gains without the meds until you try therapy. If it doesn't work, sure, I agree, give them something to relieve the symptoms. I just object to doctors who toss out drugs without hardly looking at the patient first.

The thing is, you don't know if they can make gains without the meds until you try therapy. If it doesn't work, sure, I agree, give them something to relieve the symptoms. I just object to doctors who toss out drugs without hardly looking at the patient first.

Agreed.

While I agree that meds are sometimes dispensed far too quickly, for the disorders that have been shoen to have a stong biological basis, such as bipolar and the clinical forms of depression or schizophrenia, there is no reason not to begin meds to stabilize somewhat before talk therapy is begun. A client has to be lucid in order for talk therapy to be effective.

The best results are seen when meds and counseling are combined.

Also, primary care physicians are often put between a rock and a hard place. They have patient come inwho is obviously experiencing the symptoms of manic depression. They attempt a psych referrral, and are told that the psychiatrist has no appts for 6 months. Do they let this patient go without meds, and risk the disorder becoming so severe that the patient becomes a risk to themselves, or do they prescribe meds until the patient can get in for apsych referral? Most will go ahead and prescribe the meds, and in that situation, I have to agree with their decisions.

I've had depression and anxiety all through high school. I'm pretty sure it all started while I was in the 9th grade, but wasn't diagnosed with it until... junior year maybe? or late sophomore year. I forget. Saw the doctor that my dad had been seeing for his own depression problems (depression runs in the family from my dad's side of the family). He examined me, talked to my mom (because I refused to talk to him), etc. Started me on a low dose of Zoloft and we went from there. A couple times it's been increased. The last time it was increased, I think the Zoloft just quit working for me. I was majorly messed up mentally, felt like I couldn't function or concentrate. But when I stopped taking Zoloft on my own (slowly went off it), I started to feel better. But I still struggled for a couple years that I was med-free.

Then a year and half ago, I hit rock bottom again pretty much. DVR counselor was worried, so she referred me to a counselor at the counseling center. I started seeing the counselor, told her I was against meds. She tried to help me cope with the depression so I could live my life. Didn't work, so I slowly agreed to talk to the psychiatrist about medication. Saw the psych, talked to her of my history and such, she thought I should try cymbalta. The first couple weeks on cymbalta, I was tired, not hungry, a zombie basically. But all those side effects have disappeared. It's beem more than a year since I started taking cymbalta and I feel pretty darn good. Granted, I have my down moments, which is normal. And I still go to counseling on a regular basis. I'm surprised I didn't hit rock bottom when my baby nephew died shortly after birth (that was what really caused my depression to blow up in my face, a death in the family). I think being on cymbalta, and having gone to counseling on a regular basis has helped me to cope with life better, even when something really bad happens. The couple weeks after the baby's death was rough on me, but I got through it. I'm still coping with the baby's death today, but I'm also still moving on, living life, working and trying to keep myself busy so that I don't get so bored.

I don't like being depressed. But I'm going to be living with it forever. It's in my genes, I can't escape it. I'll definitely be continuing with my cymbalta, and with the counseling sessions, just to keep my depression under control. I would hate for my depression to get so bad again that I want to live in a black hole. No thanks.

My new doctor said, "you're not bipolar disorder". I got medicine for depress and stress that all. I don't like the medicine in my rest of life! My old doctor got fired! Many patients are complain about the anti-depressant treat for bipolar disorder and adhd. It made them gain the weight by Zyprenxa. They are not happy with this. The old doctor refused change the medicine for all his patients. He was not letting me to change the medicine which zyprenxa wasn't help me. I was lack of confidence with my gained the weight. It made me not love about myself. Other patients didn't mean to have bipolar disorder. The reason why they took an anti-depressant because stress and depress. I got a new doctor. I explained to him. I was not love about myself by anti-depressant drugs. I told him I wanted to lose the weight. It make me feel good. I used to go to counseling. I stopped go there anymore. I am doing fine so far. I'm not a doctor. I have an experience about all kind of mental. Are you a psychology? Why you're not use psychology major?

I would be suspicious about whether or not the doctor told you this. I have an aunt who is bipolar. She got diagnosed and took medication. Eventually, she said that that doctor said she wasn't bipolar. We know that she is in denial and make up things to cover things she doesn't want to admit. She stopped taking all medications. She had a major, major episode before this. Since she lives in another state, we think she's had other episodes that we may not know about. She always talked about people persecuting her and a lot of stories that makes you go, "Huh?" With this disorder there may be a period of time where you feel so well and have no episode. Be very careful.

I've had depression and anxiety all through high school. I'm pretty sure it all started while I was in the 9th grade, but wasn't diagnosed with it until... junior year maybe? or late sophomore year. I forget. Saw the doctor that my dad had been seeing for his own depression problems (depression runs in the family from my dad's side of the family). He examined me, talked to my mom (because I refused to talk to him), etc. Started me on a low dose of Zoloft and we went from there. A couple times it's been increased. The last time it was increased, I think the Zoloft just quit working for me. I was majorly messed up mentally, felt like I couldn't function or concentrate. But when I stopped taking Zoloft on my own (slowly went off it), I started to feel better. But I still struggled for a couple years that I was med-free.

Then a year and half ago, I hit rock bottom again pretty much. DVR counselor was worried, so she referred me to a counselor at the counseling center. I started seeing the counselor, told her I was against meds. She tried to help me cope with the depression so I could live my life. Didn't work, so I slowly agreed to talk to the psychiatrist about medication. Saw the psych, talked to her of my history and such, she thought I should try cymbalta. The first couple weeks on cymbalta, I was tired, not hungry, a zombie basically. But all those side effects have disappeared. It's beem more than a year since I started taking cymbalta and I feel pretty darn good. Granted, I have my down moments, which is normal. And I still go to counseling on a regular basis. I'm surprised I didn't hit rock bottom when my baby nephew died shortly after birth (that was what really caused my depression to blow up in my face, a death in the family). I think being on cymbalta, and having gone to counseling on a regular basis has helped me to cope with life better, even when something really bad happens. The couple weeks after the baby's death was rough on me, but I got through it. I'm still coping with the baby's death today, but I'm also still moving on, living life, working and trying to keep myself busy so that I don't get so bored.

I don't like being depressed. But I'm going to be living with it forever. It's in my genes, I can't escape it. I'll definitely be continuing with my cymbalta, and with the counseling sessions, just to keep my depression under control. I would hate for my depression to get so bad again that I want to live in a black hole. No thanks.

Good for you. You are taking responsibility for your illness, and doing what you need to do to overcome it. I admire your courage. Keep up the good work. While you are correct that it will be a lifelong problem for you, it doesn't have to limit your life. Given what you have posted here, it is obvious that you are a success story. Way to go!

I would be suspicious about whether or not the doctor told you this. I have an aunt who is bipolar. She got diagnosed and took medication. Eventually, she said that that doctor said she wasn't bipolar. We know that she is in denial and make up things to cover things she doesn't want to admit. She stopped taking all medications. She had a major, major episode before this. Since she lives in another state, we think she's had other episodes that we may not know about. She always talked about people persecuting her and a lot of stories that makes you go, "Huh?" With this disorder there may be a period of time where you feel so well and have no episode. Be very careful.

Exactly what I meant when I said that most people with a mental disorder do not think they have a mental disorder.

Sounds like your Abilify isn't working the way it should. Maybe you should see your psychiatrist and ask her/him to adjust your meds?

Agreed! Also of importance, get enough sleep! Sleep deprivation tends to worsen bipolar symptoms. I have bipolar II, and can testify that if I'm sleep deprived, I WILL have an episode. This is true even if my meds are working as they should. So, my advice...

If you have bipolar disorder, get plenty of sleep! Otherwise, you could be asking for trouble!

I just went through another mad episode. Jez!

ouch i am sorry Aguablue

i was so depressed that i went on crying fit yesterday and didn't feel like wanted to get out of bed and i end up staying in bed almost all day. it was not so good day for me.

Back