Do you believe in God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DreamSlayer said:
The North American version of "Santa" can be disproved, not only by disproving "flying reindeer"

There are several characteristics that are common knowledge.

1 - He lives at the North Pole. This point can be disproved.
2 - He fits down peoples chimneys. This point can be disproved.
3 - He flies around the world in one night. This point can be disproved.

All of these can be disproved with radar, and satelite, and video taping your fireplace on Christmas.

Yeah, that was what I was saying, some versions can be disproved in this manner.

But then we wouldn't be talking about the same person. In fact if a man named Santa lived in New Mexico, that would not mean I did not disprove the Santa you were refering to.

The specific North American Version of Santa - Does not Exist. That's a fact that can be proven.

Yeah, they'd be different from the disproved Santas in a way that makes it possible for them to exist.

I don't understand what that means exactly. If there is proof, how do you get around it? Absolute "Proof" would mean that a specific "God" did not exist, plain and simple.

The diehard believers would get around it by saying that they didn't believe in the version you just disproved, but that they really believe in another version that is different enough from the disproved version to make it not be covered by the disproof. They could do this by claiming Santa used magic. Of course, what's wrong with doing this is that they give no evidence for the magic.

There are not an infinite number of possible Santas, his characteristics are limitted to our finite universe. The Characteristics of Santa have been recorded for us to look at and examine, and most have been proven untrue.

Oh right, I meant to say that there could be many possible versions that believers could choose from, especially with things they make up, like magic methods for Santa to get around limits. But those versions are no good because there's no evidence of such magic.

Most religions have the characteristics of their "God" recorded. Unfortunately, even some people when presented with the "Truth" refuse to listen. So even if you could prove or disprove "God" you would still have people believing the opposite.

Yeah, some people would still not listen.

The universe existing
Humans existing
Universal structure and order

Believers use this as proof for a "God"
People try to dismiss this evidence with mathematical impossibilities.

Is this where the law of parsimony comes into play?

I don't see how those three things imply any god. Thinking that such things require a designer if they seem too complex to have not been designed is an argument from ignorance. I don't know of how mathematical impossibilities is used to dismiss believers' claims about those things.
Yes, the law of parsimony comes in because those things can be described without invoking gods, like with the latest in science. The problem with assuming that a god is the original thing that existed and created everything is that one can ask what made the god and what made the god maker and so on. Since there is no evidence of god, it is simpiler to assume that the universe just exists.

DreamSlayer said:
First an Anecdote: I sat in my abnormal psych class watching a video of Jeffery Dhalmer. We listened to all the terible things he did, and then I had to sit and listen to him say something like;
"I will pay for the things I did, but the Lord Jesus will be my final judge before I go to heaven" (I wish I knew the exact words.... it was something like that)

My whole class was in an uproar about it. Stuff like "Yeah right" "You wish".
I almost cried, because that's the Christian belief. Most of the people I sat with were not saved, and yet mocked him for believing the power of Christ's blood would save even him.

I'm not going to judge wether or not he believed in Jesus, that's not my call.

The "Christian God" and "Salvation"
I will over simplify first, and explain later when I have time.

The Christian "God" is perfect.
Any one with "Sin" may not be in "Heaven" with him.
Everyone has "Sin".
No one may go to "heaven".
The "Sacrifice of Jesus" takes away "Sin".
To recieve this gift, you must believe that the "Sacrifice" is for you, to take your place.
This is available to everyone.

"Good" deeds are subjective, we discussed that in another thread. Counting Good deeds would be an unfair way for a "God" to decide who goes to "heaven" and who doesn't.

This assumes that there really is a god, a heaven, accounts of who believe and who doesn't and a Jesus to take care of the believers. For the system to work, it must be clear that such a system actually exists. No evidence for the system exists independently of the believers and their writings. If it was an important part of reality, nonbelievers should be able to discover its existence independently of the believers and their writings.

I absolutely believe in God and Jesus Christ.

Lucifier, demons, and angels exist.

-----------------------------

Can you guys see air? Nah. So we all can't see them in spirits that's the same thing.

God wants you to use faith and read His words and get saved by Jesus. None is more important than that in the whole world.

Your decision has to be made before your breath stops and that effect your path for eternity (FOREVER!). Do it now or asap cuz you never know when your breath stops.

Only your ticket to the Heavens is by thru Jesus.

There is nothing change my thoughts of mind behind me, believe that a God is in the flesh is existance! Man is capable being the supernatural powers and nature, i.e. actual male deity. ;) Here is on earth nothing change my words nor thoughts since I born that way I am DEITY and supernatuals.

God -- "A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality."

I'm Catholic, and I believe there is a God. God is all about spirit and power, and He can only perform miracles and control everything in the universe.

Do you believe that a God exists?
no because religion was manufactured;
AllDeaf.com - View Single Post - Evolution vs. Creationism

Religion is money. In order to make money, you have to make people believe that they're giving money to God.

Seriously, where the hell does the money go? To the church? The church will simply add more gold statues, more fancy stained glass windows, or expand. Oh, poor people? There are already charity organizations that do that... who needs church for that?

Religion is money. In order to make money, you have to make people believe that they're giving money to God.

Seriously, where the hell does the money go? To the church? The church will simply add more gold statues, more fancy stained glass windows, or expand. Oh, poor people? There are already charity organizations that do that... who needs church for that?

Some of the churches use the money to donate to the local food banks and charities and also they do have charities of their own.

I know our St Paul Catholic church here does donate to the local food bank as well as has charity set aside for those that need housing assistance *ie* paying rent, utilities and things like that.

...Seriously, where the hell does the money go? To the church? The church will simply add more gold statues, more fancy stained glass windows, or expand. Oh, poor people? There are already charity organizations that do that... who needs church for that?
Depends on the church.

Our church doesn't have any stained glass windows or statues. We haven't expanded our building yet but we need to. We are packed in like sardines. :)

We pay the salaries of the pastors and staff, youth programs, the utilities for the church and school buildings, the upkeep of the buses, insurance, building and grounds maintenance, and repairs.

We support missionaries and other smaller ministries and churches that can't support themselves. We help people with medical bills, car repairs, Christian school scholarships, emergency travel, college tuition, etc.

Our church holds quarterly, annual, and emergency business meetings. All the congregation are invited. The financial statement is printed and passed out to all members, and we vote on the budget and special expenditures. Nothing is hidden.

Some of the churches use the money to donate to the local food banks and charities and also they do have charities of their own.

I know our St Paul Catholic church here does donate to the local food bank as well as has charity set aside for those that need housing assistance *ie* paying rent, utilities and things like that.
I've seen some churches raise millions of dollars just so that they can become a stadium-style church. :eek:

I've seen some churches raise millions of dollars just so that they can become a stadium-style church. :eek:
That's why those churches get all the attention.

Most churches just quietly serve God and help people, and never make the TV news.

There is one church like that near my in-laws..It is this huge fancy church with all these windows and a temple so high up in the air that it looks like a mini skyscraper. Surrounding it are beautiful flowers, well-cut bushes and well-placed trees. Across the street there is an elementarty school in very poor shape. My husband and his parents feel that is so wrong. I agree with them.

God -- "A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality."

I'm Catholic, and I believe there is a God. God is all about spirit and power, and He can only perform miracles and control everything in the universe.

Yes, I believe in God.

There is one church like that near my in-laws..It is this huge fancy church with all these windows and a temple so high up in the air that it looks like a mini skyscraper. Surrounding it are beautiful flowers, well-cut bushes and well-placed trees. Across the street there is an elementarty school in very poor shape. My husband and his parents feel that is so wrong. I agree with them.
I used to go to a church like that. It was a nice big church. However, the number of people attending had grown so much that they needed to expand.

So, they started raising money.

Now, the church is like a stadium... HUGE!

I graduated high school right before the church moved. I stopped going. I've only been to the new church once.

Sure. I believe in a Supreme God. I'm not sure if there are other gods who are more personal manifestations of this one, or are glorified spirits. I'm somewhere between being a inclusive monotheist and monolatrist, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back