Do you believe in God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your logic is flawed. Just because your subjective view tells you one thing doesn't mean that it is so. For a set of beliefs to qualify, they must advocate the belief in a spritual presence, whether that be a god, gods, or just a spiritual existance. Once again, I'm being forced to quote Webster's:

1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Atheism falls into none of those definitions. Atheism is the anti-thesis of religion. It is a disbelief.

Askjo said:
You are mistaken. If there is no God, therefore the Bible will NOT be here. Atheism is not religion.

However there is a true God then the Bible is here. Therefore atheism is a religion.

I see your point. Makes sense ! :thumb:

We have 3 kinds of worship:

Worship God.

Worship NO God.

Worship gods.

You're compartmentalizing.

Worship no God? That makes no sense. You must mean not Worship a god. Atheists do not worship anything. They have no set doctrine or scripture, and the only real tenet of Atheism is disblief in divinity. Again, that is the anti-thesis of a religion.

apathrev said:
You're compartmentalizing.

Worship no God? That makes no sense. You must mean not Worship a god. Atheists do not worship anything. They have no set doctrine or scripture, and the only real tenet of Atheism is disblief in divinity. Again, that is the anti-thesis of a religion.
God announced that the atheists are FOOLS! The Scriptures announced that atheists are FOOLS! The Scriptures and God announced that atheists have their own religion: Worship NO God.

Psalms 14:1 (KJV)

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Romans 1:20-22 (KJV)

For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

The very crystral evidence shows that most atheists see everything on the earth and understand what they are created by God Himself because these atheists know God and rejected Him.

Romans 1:28 (KJV)

....they did not like to retain God in their knowledge....

That is why these atheists refuse to worship God.

I try to be as respectful as I can be when discussing such matters, but at times my tolerance takes a nosedive: I honestly think arguing with a brick wall would be more productive. :roll:

Let us recount my previous statements:
1. Athiest do not believe in a divine presence.
2. Atheist do not worship any such being.
3. Atheism has no organized practices or doctrines.

Atheism and Agnosticism are not religions. They are beliefs. Call them fools all the Bible will allow you to, but stop using Jesus as a shortcut to being right.

Askjo said:
God announced that the atheists are FOOLS! The Scriptures announced that atheists are FOOLS! The Scriptures and God announced that atheists have their own religion: Worship NO God.

Just reading that about atheists in those scriptures doesn't give understanding of what real atheists are like. Remember that the bible is a biased source with regard to such things. The bible is a religous book written as if the religion it's about is the One True Relgion. Such writings would naturally cast people of other religions and nonreligous people in negative light.

If you want to understand real atheists, you should ask us, instead of looking in a text biased against us.

If you say that atheists have their own religion that tells them to worship no gods, that is lumping us in with people of other religions. That makes it easier for religous people who believe in the bible to see the atheists in the same way they see people of other religions, as the Others who are wrong. Lumping atheists in with these other people also allows the bible followers to avoid thinking about what atheism really means. It's easier to think about everybody who doesn't follow one's religion as wrong than it is to think about the differences between people of other religions and people who have no religions, like nonreligious atheists. Nonreligious atheism, which is having no religion and no beliefs in gods, is quite alien to the religious mind, so religious people seem to think that atheists have a religion that tells them to deny, ignore and not worship gods, like say, the Christian god. So those religious people lump nonreligious atheists in with people of other religions as the ones who are Wrong.

If you actually asked us what it is like to be a nonreligious atheist, we'd tell you that we just don't have any religion or belief in any god. Remember, we believe in one less god than Christians do. If Christians understood why we and they don't believe in all of the thousands of other gods, they'd understand why we don't believe in theirs either. Yes, it is actually possible to live life with no religion and no beliefs in gods.

To have no belief in gods is not the same as knowing that those gods exist and deciding to go against them or it. It is simpily having no beliefs in such beings. Grown up people have no belief in Santa. Does that mean that they know that Santa is real and decided to go against him? No, it means that they just don't believe. It's the same way with atheists and gods.

The bible makes claims about what and how atheists think and how they behave.

Askjo said:
Psalms 14:1 (KJV)

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

We could find examples of Christians who are corrupt. Of course, you could say that they aren't real Christians. But the corrupt Christians would still claim that they were and if they had enough power, they'd make sure that their brand of Christianity was the Right one and call others wrong.
Have you met any real atheists. Like Christians, there are good and bad ones. Claiming that no atheists had done good is an extreme claim about all atheists. It seems like Christians trust that as true because it's in the bible, but how can they be sure? If they met a nice atheist, would that call the truth of that part of the bible into question? I guess that people who prefer to think that everything in the bible is absolutely true would stick with imaging all atheists, including me, as evil slime.

Askjo said:
Romans 1:20-22 (KJV)

For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

The very crystral evidence shows that most atheists see everything on the earth and understand what they are created by God Himself because these atheists know God and rejected Him.

Here, the bible is claiming that atheists know that the god in the bible is real, but don't worship it and reject it. If you asked real atheists, the atheists known as neutral, weak or soft atheists would tell you that they just have no belief in the biblical god because there's no evidence for it that holds up. So they lack belief in that god. The atheists known as strong, positive or hard atheists would say that no, they don't consider the god in the bible real. They don't rebel against it because they they consider it imaginary. Are people who don't believe in Santa rebels against him? No, they are not. That's how atheists see it. They don't believe in the bibical god. It would be pointless to rebel against imaginary beings like Santa.
Also, remember that I said that the bible is a religious text, so that makes it biased against atheists because it was written to support the religions of the Judeo-Christian god. So it is not a good source of information on what real atheists think and how they act.

Askjo said:
Romans 1:28 (KJV)

....they did not like to retain God in their knowledge....

That is why these atheists refuse to worship God.

Actually, I enjoyed writing this because it made me think about religion and how it works. I also read about gods and religions sometimes for fun.

Well, the truth is : You are breathin' God's Breathe. THAT's what "the Word" comes out to live things. You are alive, so are livin' things such as pretty/ugly creatures, and everythin' that are crawled on this earth. You are talkin' in God's Livin' Word -- so is your walkin'. But, you are against God. :D

i don't know if i believe in god
but sometimes i go to church with friends i not mind that

sometimes it can be confused of if there is some change in the topic of god or religion

but i believe in god in different way

CyberRed said:
Well, the truth is : You are breathin' God's Breathe. THAT's what "the Word" comes out to live things. You are alive, so are livin' things such as pretty/ugly creatures, and everythin' that are crawled on this earth. You are talkin' in God's Livin' Word -- so is your walkin'. But, you are against God. :D

Did you understand what I wrote to Askjo? You may believe that there is a god like that and that anyone of other religions or of no religion are against it. There really are people who have no such beliefs. It does not mean that they are against it, it means that they just don't believe.
For example, I could say that Santa is everywhere and that's how he knows which kids are good and bad. If you don't believe in Santa, you are against Santa. :P People who are grown up aren't fighting against Santa because they don't consider him real. There are people who consider a god or gods real and people who have no such beliefs. They aren't fighting against any gods for the same reason people aren't fighting against Santa, because it's no use to fight against something you don't believe in.
And you're the one making claims that there positively is a god with a word like that, so you're the one who needs to give evidence for it if you want others to believe in it. If you want to believe in it, it's ok, as long as others are not hurt by it or forced to believe. :mrgreen:

RedFox said:
Did you understand what I wrote to Askjo? You may believe that there is a god like that and that anyone of other religions or of no religion are against it. There really are people who have no such beliefs. It does not mean that they are against it, it means that they just don't believe.
For example, I could say that Santa is everywhere and that's how he knows which kids are good and bad. If you don't believe in Santa, you are against Santa. :P People who are grown up aren't fighting against Santa because they don't consider him real. There are people who consider a god or gods real and people who have no such beliefs. They aren't fighting against any gods for the same reason people aren't fighting against Santa, because it's no use to fight against something you don't believe in.
And you're the one making claims that there positively is a god with a word like that, so you're the one who needs to give evidence for it if you want others to believe in it. If you want to believe in it, it's ok, as long as others are not hurt by it or forced to believe. :mrgreen:

I understand what you mean. Speakin' of Santa and God are a BIG different issue. They are not the same. For instance : Santa ( he could be you ) can ride in a small boat and enjoy all he wants, but when the boat comes to the waterfall at the end -- Santa have no way to save himself from drownin' at the end of the waterfall. The boat is goin' to plung in and he will drown along with his boat. He missed one thing and that will cost him his life...........

He don't wear a lifejacket that could save him. The lifejacket is Jesus. Jesus would save him from goin' to hell. That lifejacket ( Christ ) saves life. Without Christ, he will lose his life eternally after death.

John 14:6
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life: no one cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Mark 8:35-37
"For whosoever would save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel`s shall save it. For what doth it profit a man, to gain the whole world, and forfeit his life? For what should a man give in exchange for his life? "

Your physical flesh is just like this boat, but you don't have a lifejacket for your soul.

Psalm 14:1 "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good."

Psalm 53:1 "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good."

RedFox said:
...We could find examples of Christians who are corrupt. ..Have you met any real atheists. Like Christians, there are good and bad ones. Claiming that no atheists had done good is an extreme claim about all atheists...
Atheists and Christians are both sinners. They are both born with the same sin nature. They both commit sins. The difference is in their position as sinners. Sinners who are atheists remain in their position as unrepentant, unsaved sinners, who will spend eternity in Hell. Sinners who accept Jesus Christ as Savior become saved Christians and become positionally clean of their sins; they will spend eternity in Heaven. Christians and atheists start out equally sinful and destined for Hell. Neither one is "better" than the other. It is only thru accepting the blood sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus Christ that one's position and destination changes. Until one becomes born again in Christ, "Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good" applies to everyone. No "good works" by anyone can change that. Only Jesus can save.

To have no belief in gods is not the same as knowing that those gods exist and deciding to go against them or it. It is simpily having no beliefs in such beings. Grown up people have no belief in Santa. Does that mean that they know that Santa is real and decided to go against him? No, it means that they just don't believe. It's the same way with atheists and gods. - RedFox

The difference between "God" and "Santa" is you can prove "Santa" does not exist. Adults do not suddenly decide to not believe in Santa because they feel like it.

If there was the possibility of "Santa" existing, you would have some adults who choose to believe, and some who choose not to believe.

It would be a choice.

If there was "absolute proof" that "Santa" existed, then the choice to not believe would be an ignorant one. If there was "absolute proof" that "Santa" did not exist, then the choice to believe would be an ignorant one. So no "absolute proof" allows individuals to make choices based on faith.

It is my opinion that humans will never "absolutely prove" or "absolutely disprove" the existance of "God", because that's the way it is supposed to be.
I, however, may be proven very wrong, but I will continue to believe in "God" until such time.

If you want to believe in it, it's ok, as long as others are not hurt by it or forced to believe. - RedFox

Agreed.

My Beliefs:
I believe in a God.
I believe in the God of the Old & New Testement.
I believe that Jesus is the son of God, who died once and for all for the forgiveness of sin, and will return to set up his kingdom.

CyberRed said:
I understand what you mean. Speakin' of Santa and God are a BIG different issue. They are not the same. For instance : Santa ( he could be you ) can ride in a small boat and enjoy all he wants, but when the boat comes to the waterfall at the end -- Santa have no way to save himself from drownin' at the end of the waterfall. The boat is goin' to plung in and he will drown along with his boat. He missed one thing and that will cost him his life...........

He don't wear a lifejacket that could save him. The lifejacket is Jesus. Jesus would save him from goin' to hell. That lifejacket ( Christ ) saves life. Without Christ, he will lose his life eternally after death.

John 14:6
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life: no one cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Mark 8:35-37
"For whosoever would save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel`s shall save it. For what doth it profit a man, to gain the whole world, and forfeit his life? For what should a man give in exchange for his life? "

Your physical flesh is just like this boat, but you don't have a lifejacket for your soul.

Someone told me a version of this story before. That kind of story can demostrate a point in an understandable way. But being cute doesn't make it true. Of course, a relgious text about a religion that says it is the only right one would have writing that says so. It doesn't make it true.
And it assumes that there is such a thing as a soul too. Evidence is needed from multiple sources independent of the religious text and the group of people who believe it is true.
I could write a book that says Santa is the true god and write similar stories about how Santa is a lifejacket for the glowing ball of Christmas magic in people. Then I could claim that the writing was ancient, which was what happened with Mormonism when the founder claimed the writing came from an ancient Egyptian text when he didn't really know how to translate the Egyptian writing. Real evidence is needed to tell if any of the religious text have true parts.

Reba said:
Psalm 14:1 "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good."

Psalm 53:1 "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good."

Atheists and Christians are both sinners. They are both born with the same sin nature. They both commit sins. The difference is in their position as sinners. Sinners who are atheists remain in their position as unrepentant, unsaved sinners, who will spend eternity in Hell. Sinners who accept Jesus Christ as Savior become saved Christians and become positionally clean of their sins; they will spend eternity in Heaven. Christians and atheists start out equally sinful and destined for Hell. Neither one is "better" than the other. It is only thru accepting the blood sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus Christ that one's position and destination changes. Until one becomes born again in Christ, "Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good" applies to everyone. No "good works" by anyone can change that. Only Jesus can save.

This assmues that there actually are places like a heaven and a hell and records of if each person believed in Jesus or not. This also assumes that sin is something that can be passed down. What mechanism do you propose for this? Why does your god value people based on if they believe in Jesus or not, above what good works they've done? By that standard, the god would accept into heaven a serial killer or robber who accepted Jesus and were truely sorry and send people who did much more good and don't believe because they have honest questions like this one about religion that the god never answered. Don't say that all we have to do is to read the bible. Atheists have read the bible cover to cover and anaylized many interpretions of it and have honest questions, yet the god never answers them. You could say that they haven't prayed hard enough. Some atheists were Christians before and tried praying, but the god never answered them. I guess that only some people would think that they have an answer, possibilty related to that article I posted somewhere before about religion and the brain.

DreamSlayer said:
To have no belief in gods is not the same as knowing that those gods exist and deciding to go against them or it. It is simpily having no beliefs in such beings. Grown up people have no belief in Santa. Does that mean that they know that Santa is real and decided to go against him? No, it means that they just don't believe. It's the same way with atheists and gods. - RedFox

The difference between "God" and "Santa" is you can prove "Santa" does not exist. Adults do not suddenly decide to not believe in Santa because they feel like it.

Actually, I cannot prove Santa doesn't exist. Nobody can. We can disprove specific versions of Santa that violates things like physics. But any believers in Santa could say things to get around that, like invoking things like nonphysical magic, in similar ways to how religious people invoke things like the nonphysical spiritual world to avoid having to give physical evidence. There could also be a version of Santa that is real and different from the believers' version in a way so that he doesn't violate physics. Or the Santa could be on another planet nobody on Earth knows about.
Adults stop believing because the popular versions of Santa violates physics or because they've seen their parents be Santa. They didn't get evidence for any other versions of Santa that haven't been disproved yet. So, they stop believing because they have no reason to believe anymore.
Gods are also like this. They can't be disproved because diehard believers would come up with ways around proofs against specific versions of the gods. Those proofs are negative proofs, proofs of nonexistence. There is an infinite number of possible Santas and an infinite number of possible gods. It would take forever to try to make negative proofs for all of those. So, what is needed is positive proof, proof of existence. Believers are the ones who claim positive existence, so they should also provide positive proof. Otherwise, if they can't make the case, there is no reason to believe in their claims.

Actually, I cannot prove Santa doesn't exist. Nobody can. We can disprove specific versions of Santa that violates things like physics. But any believers in Santa could say things to get around that, like invoking things like nonphysical magic, in similar ways to how religious people invoke things like the nonphysical spiritual world to avoid having to give physical evidence. There could also be a version of Santa that is real and different from the believers' version in a way so that he doesn't violate physics. Or the Santa could be on another planet nobody on Earth knows about.

The North American version of "Santa" can be disproved, not only by disproving "flying reindeer"

There are several characteristics that are common knowledge.

1 - He lives at the North Pole. This point can be disproved.
2 - He fits down peoples chimneys. This point can be disproved.
3 - He flies around the world in one night. This point can be disproved.

All of these can be disproved with radar, and satelite, and video taping your fireplace on Christmas.

There could also be a version of Santa that is real and different from the believers' version in a way so that he doesn't violate physics. Or the Santa could be on another planet nobody on Earth knows about.

But then we wouldn't be talking about the same person. In fact if a man named Santa lived in New Mexico, that would not mean I did not disprove the Santa you were refering to.

The specific North American Version of Santa - Does not Exist. That's a fact that can be proven.

Gods are also like this. They can't be disproved because diehard believers would come up with ways around proofs against specific versions of the gods.

I don't understand what that means exactly. If there is proof, how do you get around it? Absolute "Proof" would mean that a specific "God" did not exist, plain and simple.

Those proofs are negative proofs, proofs of nonexistence. There is an infinite number of possible Santas and an infinite number of possible gods. It would take forever to try to make negative proofs for all of those. So, what is needed is positive proof, proof of existence. Believers are the ones who claim positive existence, so they should also provide positive proof. Otherwise, if they can't make the case, there is no reason to believe in their claims.

There are not an infinite number of possible Santas, his characteristics are limitted to our finite universe. The Characteristics of Santa have been recorded for us to look at and examine, and most have been proven untrue.

Most religions have the characteristics of their "God" recorded. Unfortunately, even some people when presented with the "Truth" refuse to listen. So even if you could prove or disprove "God" you would still have people believing the opposite.

Believers are the ones who claim positive existence, so they should also provide positive proof.

The universe existing
Humans existing
Universal structure and order

Believers use this as proof for a "God"
People try to dismiss this evidence with mathematical impossibilities.

Is this where the law of parsimony comes into play?

Why does your god value people based on if they believe in Jesus or not, above what good works they've done? By that standard, the god would accept into heaven a serial killer or robber who accepted Jesus and were truely sorry and send people who did much more good ....

First an Anecdote: I sat in my abnormal psych class watching a video of Jeffery Dhalmer. We listened to all the terible things he did, and then I had to sit and listen to him say something like;
"I will pay for the things I did, but the Lord Jesus will be my final judge before I go to heaven" (I wish I knew the exact words.... it was something like that)

My whole class was in an uproar about it. Stuff like "Yeah right" "You wish".
I almost cried, because that's the Christian belief. Most of the people I sat with were not saved, and yet mocked him for believing the power of Christ's blood would save even him.

I'm not going to judge wether or not he believed in Jesus, that's not my call.

The "Christian God" and "Salvation"
I will over simplify first, and explain later when I have time.

The Christian "God" is perfect.
Any one with "Sin" may not be in "Heaven" with him.
Everyone has "Sin".
No one may go to "heaven".
The "Sacrifice of Jesus" takes away "Sin".
To recieve this gift, you must believe that the "Sacrifice" is for you, to take your place.
This is available to everyone.

"Good" deeds are subjective, we discussed that in another thread. Counting Good deeds would be an unfair way for a "God" to decide who goes to "heaven" and who doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back