• No

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Only for certain reasons

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • other

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I heard that it costs more to have death penalty than life sentence. It was mentioned on the news last year, I think. It's due to courts, lawyers and people who want to keep him alive.

I heard that it costs more to have death penalty than life sentence. It was mentioned on the news last year, I think. It's due to courts, lawyers and people who want to keep him alive.

Yup, that's true, however I do support death penalty in some certain, especially serial killers or terrorists.

My POV was changed a little on death penalty. I still don't like this one so I personally oppose it, yet I reluctantly support it legal. I like to see all flaws removed in the death penalty...

Yea, when I learned that, it didnt make sense to me. Appeals and appeals made by their stupid lawyers is what costs an arm and leg. :roll:

Yea, when I learned that, it didnt make sense to me. Appeals and appeals made by their stupid lawyers is what costs an arm and leg. :roll:

hmm when we Really think about it, lawyers and judges are the criminals, they make so much money out of other people's troubles in an uneven society.
It's not right, in some strange perspective Id like to point out to that, it seems that laws are made so there is a guarantee that someone will be unhappy and try to cheat, even if they are disadvantaged by the system, they dont care, its all comes down to 'they broke the law' - now its my fees is coming to me, as I'd barter their fate',

I dont expect anyone to agree or like my views, but here i said it. The justice system is pure shit, if somehow we can eradicate desparation that provokes people into crime, it is this 'small idea' which the is the complete opposite of setting up the system which maintain the restriction that impose unhappiness, strife. Instead, Id like to see a restribution that, if the rich get caught for some crimes, the fines should be held very high, and this actual fines goes back into the pool for the welfare of the poor community's development as in pay packages or large food stamps (1 months worth) for every houses in the block, now that would be nice. It can be done, as long as we have more people interested in this sort of scheme/concepts/idea and to carry it further into feasibility investigation with an aim to actualise this tax-overhaul-fine-restribution order....

just my silly 2 cents

I used to be against death penalty till recently. No one deserve to die. And do you think I am religiious person? I hate death but it is not right for anyone to take life from someone else especially when they are your children.

Oh don't worry, he's just trying to start stuff ;)
But no, I don't know if I'm for the death penalty or against it. I mean, some parts of me ARE for it, but some parts for me aren't for it. Ya know?

death penalty for religious people, they wont mind

Not always. The man killed your best friend. They send in jail for long time. Yet, he escape and killed your another friend. Capture and send to advance prison. How do you feel when he kill your friend in witness? Does he deserve the death penalty or leave to his life to suffer to death in many year in stink room? :hmm:

Not always. The man killed your best friend. They send in jail for long time. Yet, he escape and killed your another friend. Capture and send to advance prison. How do you feel when he kill your friend in witness? Does he deserve the death penalty or leave to his life to suffer to death in many year in stink room? :hmm:

Yeah ... I used to very against it until I read an update journal from one of my old good friends, the long story. His murder did escape for the third time ... I realized how he felt about his murder, his decreased beloved ones, and his several friends I don't know who but were wounded ... very emotional and sad. Which was made my POV had changed a bit more... still, I'm feeling so uneasy about flaws in death penalty system. By the way, like you said, it is not always to be religious person for that. He is, in fact, not a religious person but an angoistic (sp), and he is very pro-death penatly...

Last edited:
I don't recall if I've ever said how I believe about the death penalty. I know it does deter people from doing it . . . don't believe me, ask the person being executed if he/she can do it again and the consequences will be different. Once they're put to death, that's it. Crime by them has been deterred and will never happen again.

I had a second cousin who had stabbed his wife to death and he was later run over by a bus, maybe an hour later. It's too bad, but at least the case is closed. My girlfriend's mother killed her husband (my girlfriend's dad) and now they're both dead. Case closed. Each party has their reward.

I agree that executions should very much be publicly made available, but not televised. Whether the execution is by hanging, chair or firing squad, it should be public. While on death row as well as waiting to be executed, the person should have at least one picture of each person they killed be in front of them at all times.

Executions are "too clean" and not a deterrent to anyone except the criminal at the very end. The criminal gets to appeal their conviction and sentence almost endless times. The victim (s) didn't get this choice. The criminal gets to have their choice of last meal. The victim (s) never did. The criminal gets to say goodbye to their loved ones. The victim (s) never got that chance. The criminal gets to say any last words. The victim (s) never did.

I believe that when the criminal is convicted and the death sentence given, it should be carried out at once.

What is more disturbing than the idea of "justifiably killing" someone, is the fact that MANY of those people put to death are 100% innocent. Don't even ask me for sources or a number on this. We all know it happens, and it happens a lot more than we want to admit it. This is the reason why the appeals process is very lengthy and expensive, because if you're going to execute someone, you'd better be DAMN sure that you have the right person. There is no coincidence in the fact that Texas, the state with the shortest appeals process (and most executions), is also the leading state in turning up evidence that exonerates convicted "murderers" after they have been executed.

The number of wrongly executed inmates is the little statistic that people like to ignore when they discuss their pro death penalty views. But for me, the debate cannot even start until it is discussed. For those of you who say things like, "Eye for an eye..." or "Killing innocents is unacceptable and must be punished with DP..." you need to first check the logic of your own rationalization: first, if the fact exists that innocent people are being murdered by the death penalty, even if this is a small amount, how can you approve of such a practice when it is exactly the type of crime that you demand a punishment of death. If you say things like, "Well, it's such a small number, and it's unafortunate, but hey it's life..." then you are a hypocrite. Unless you believe that the ends justify the means, which they almost always do not. By that logic, some of the victims of murderers you are so quick to suggest a vigilante for should also be swept under the rug as well, right?

What is more disturbing than the idea of "justifiably killing" someone, is the fact that MANY of those people put to death are 100% innocent. Don't even ask me for sources or a number on this. We all know it happens, and it happens a lot more than we want to admit it. This is the reason why the appeals process is very lengthy and expensive, because if you're going to execute someone, you'd better be DAMN sure that you have the right person. There is no coincidence in the fact that Texas, the state with the shortest appeals process (and most executions), is also the leading state in turning up evidence that exonerates convicted "murderers" after they have been executed.

The number of wrongly executed inmates is the little statistic that people like to ignore when they discuss their pro death penalty views. But for me, the debate cannot even start until it is discussed. For those of you who say things like, "Eye for an eye..." or "Killing innocents is unacceptable and must be punished with DP..." you need to first check the logic of your own rationalization: first, if the fact exists that innocent people are being murdered by the death penalty, even if this is a small amount, how can you approve of such a practice when it is exactly the type of crime that you demand a punishment of death. If you say things like, "Well, it's such a small number, and it's unafortunate, but hey it's life..." then you are a hypocrite. Unless you believe that the ends justify the means, which they almost always do not. By that logic, some of the victims of murderers you are so quick to suggest a vigilante for should also be swept under the rug as well, right?

You have a very good point which is why I am undecided about it. I have never experience anyone close to me getting murdered but I know myself..if I did, I would want the death penalty for that person. By that, it means I approve of it.

It is an emotional tug-of-war with a lot of people. Nobody wants to see innocent people killed but then again, to read about the horrific crimes committed against innocent people especially against children can really harden one's heart.

What is more disturbing than the idea of "justifiably killing" someone, is the fact that MANY of those people put to death are 100% innocent. Don't even ask me for sources or a number on this. We all know it happens, and it happens a lot more than we want to admit it.

This is why I am inclined to say that prison does not usually solve every problem associated with a violation of the law. Most of what I will be writing focuses on convicts and those who have committed serious offenses against the US of A.

It feels as if to me the creation and implementation of it [a prison system] overall ties more with justice seeking citizens looking for a method of retribution, be it through some act of vengeance or vigilantism.

The common saying goes, people are always looking for something to blame their problems on. Of course, such depictions do not apply to every person out there but someone with an educated mind that can think for themselves, can easily reach this observation without much utilization required.

I'm not even going to bother digging into the piling amount of cases of those who have been wrongly accused and the poor souls who have been executed with faulty convictions - as this is undisputedly exists at this present time as we still have no concrete method to discover the proof if an individual is guilty or not at the time of a hearing.

Even the court of law system, and defense/prosecution methods are based on seeing who can upturn the most dirt on the other or prove them wrong, rather than focus on the actual situation at hand.. if the convict themselves are characters worthy of penalization. The judge seems to be the one bearing the most weight on being a person reader rather than the rest of the courtroom.

You, and I will be remembered for the bad you've done over the good. Seems to be a c'est la vie of the American front these days.
We are more concerned over capitalism, sexuality, strong weapons the good stuff over what it takes to be a good upstanding citizen. I think this legal stuff all happened with that little coffee spill and McDonald's from the 90s.

The whole issue is completely gray until there is some kind of concise method that is able to determine the credibility of a suspect, and this does not look like it can appear until for years to come.

You remember the discussion about future tech and having the government monitor just about everything you do, ranging from daily retina scanners to the overturn of a fiat system? Well.. guess what - that's one of the ways I can see that they will be able to minimalize the error margin of establishing convicts who are due in some form of prison system. It will not be perfect, but as one way to reduce the error margin. Whether that's good or bad to implement, I have no personal opinion in it.

There was this saying from The Dark Knight and even though it's just a movie, I've found that it applies for far many more real life scenarios that pops up just about everyday.

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

What is more disturbing than the idea of "justifiably killing" someone, is the fact that MANY of those people put to death are 100% innocent. Don't even ask me for sources or a number on this. We all know it happens, and it happens a lot more than we want to admit it

Criminal Justice - Change.org: Criminal justice by the numbers

Defendants who served time on death row and were later proven innocent by DNA testing: 17

First, that's 17 too many. Second, that doesn't include all the people who have already been killed who may have also been innocent. Third, it just includes those exonerated by DNA evidence. DNA, while really opening doors in forensics, is still not always present in some cases and cannot always prove or disprove involvement. Case in point: OJ Simpson. There was plenty of DNA evidence, but it ultimately did not affect the outcome of the case. So there are many other statistics that factor in to this. I would bet, if there were some way to magically know all the people who have wrongly been killed or convicted, the number would be startling.

But this is all beside the point. These are statistics. The reality is, we're talking about taking human life here, and when we take the life of an innocent, even if it is just one in the face of many many guilty convicted inmates, it is still murder. I simply cannot accept a system that commits the very crime it is trying to punish.

Yes, I know it is very hard for a family when one of their own is killed. Let's face it: it's a terrible tragedy when someone is murdered, and there is no easy way to deal with it. But does killing the killer make the family's grief any less? And what about when the supposed "killer" is also innocent? Now two people have been deprived of life, and two families have been beset with grief. The death penalty is not a perfect system, and until it is, it should not be used.

Criminal Justice - Change.org: Criminal justice by the numbers

Defendants who served time on death row and were later proven innocent by DNA testing: 17

Are you an idiot or just totally arrogant?

The quote "an eye for an eye" is Jewish law and appears in the book of Exodus.

Believe me, if I say something I know what I am saying.

I'm neither. Sorry, gosh. I've just always heard the quote that way. Forgive me if I came off the wrong way...? :shock: :(

I'm neither. Sorry, gosh. I've just always heard the quote that way. Forgive me if I came off the wrong way...? :shock: :(

I will forgive you. I was shocked also that someone did not understand the code of Hammurabi, which is quite famous in the bible of both Christians and Jews.

The Code of Hammurabi

It is usually best to be absolutely certain before you contradict me.

Depends how bad the crime is, if murder then maybe yes, but to kill someone it would be saying we're bad as them because we're murdering them. Maybe it is just best to leave them in prison and leave them to rot and die a slow agonising death in jail in soliatry

I will forgive you. I was shocked also that someone did not understand the code of Hammurabi, which is quite famous in the bible of both Christians and Jews.

The Code of Hammurabi

It is usually best to be absolutely certain before you contradict me.

I wasn't even trying to contradict. I hope you understand. I never knew where the quote was from. I just know what Gandi said. Again, I'm sorry.

Back