Detroit files for bankruptcy

I think that I have clarify to make better understand.

Most people, including me know about basic foundation of pension and we don't know about complexes of pension, such as positive or negative statement. We may know about advantage and disadvantage on different type of pensions.

The public pension can be solvent if it is properly managed and some countries have public pension that is solvent. The pension crisis in Detroit is city of Detroit's problem because they didn't fix the pension crisis about many years ago.

My father works at university that offer public pension, also he pay SS into system too. My father's retirement will be more generous because of retired Marine, along with other 2 pensions.

The public pension isn't bad if it is properly managed.

Why... It would be affordable for retired... of course, anyone will kill for it.

I will NOT buy a house and don't want live in Detroit. :ugh:

Too cold, very depressed state and too much crime.

I will NOT buy a house and don't want live in Detroit. :ugh:

Too cold, very depressed state and too much crime.

Yet you would live in Chicago which is too cold, very depressed state and too much crime. :hmm:

Newark... I avoid it at all cost. I only go there for airport... which seems like the only safest place in Newark. sad.

I went there and done while I was working for Sorenson. Amazing. I often come out alive in one piece.

Chicago's population loss is due to change of demographics. Poor people are moving away from Chicago with average of 3-4 people per household replacing with less people per household. More young professionals are moving into Chicago. It's the similar demographics as Seattle except it hasn't lost population since 1970's.

Yet you would live in Chicago which is too cold, very depressed state and too much crime. :hmm:

Chicago is much better than Detroit, IMO and it has more advantage than disadvantage, especially advanced economy, great LGBT communities and good public transportation. Chicago has less crime than Detroit.

It won't be my top choice because of climate (too cold).

My top choice is LA, SF and SD. Phoenix, Tucson and Miami are next.

Chicago's population loss is due to change of demographics. Poor people are moving away from Chicago with average of 3-4 people per household replacing with less people per household. More young professionals are moving into Chicago. It's the similar demographics as Seattle except it hasn't lost population since 1970's.

Yes, I agree with you.

I dislike Detroit for many years, before they filed for bankruptcy.

Umm, these demographics do not look similar at all...

Chicago (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Seattle (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

That's not what I'm talking about. The more detailed statistics tell you that, not the population change itself. More and more young professionals are moving into the city, which is happening in many cities in the united states. Other example, many young adults are leaving their home in small towns of Iowa, move to the city for job and college. This is why Polk County (where Des Moines) is growing at a fast rate.

That's not what I'm talking about. The more detailed statistics tell you that, not the population change itself. More and more young professionals are moving into the city, which is happening in many cities in the united states. Other example, many young adults are leaving their home in small towns of Iowa, move to the city for job and college. This is why Polk County (where Des Moines) is growing at a fast rate.

That is not what I am seeing in Chicago and it is not what the statistics say either.

That is not what I am seeing in Chicago and it is not what the statistics say either.

You don't completely see about Chicago and the statistic can be hit or miss.

Some students told us about city of Birmingham doesn't have many young professionals, but my professor in Sociology disagreed with them because he said there are many young professionals move to affluent neighborhood in part of city. I have to spent a lot of my time in this city and I found my professor is definitely correct because I start see many young professionals outside in city limit.

I take your statement as grain of salt.

Do you think that I'm sane person? I wouldn't surprised if you say no because it is obviously political thing.

I lived in that area for a year. Yes, it was cold and depressing, and I got my purse snatched in North Chicago. I was stationed at Fleet Home Town News Center, Great Lakes, IL, which is outside Chicago. As soon as my minimum one-year tour was up I requested no-cost orders to transfer. "No-cost" meant no cost to the government. I had to pay my own way to transfer from there to Florida. For a very junior enlisted person, it was a financial sacrifice for me but worth it.

I'm sure that if you have enough money you can find a nice place to live in Chicago but for me it wasn't a pleasant experience.

According to statistic above, there are 891,000 (Chicago population x percent of college degree) educated population (with bachelor degree) in Chicago. That's very significant number.

Chicago houses all classes - from low class to upper class. There are poor, middle and affluent neighborhood. Some Chicago neighborhood went through the gentrification.

I know Sequioas for years and he went to different forums to met many members from different cities, including Chicago and he loves to research on general cities, such as population, crime, class, demographic, skyscrapers, etc.

Yes, I agree with you.

I dislike Detroit for many years, before they filed for bankruptcy.
Did you live in Detroit? I've never lived there but I've made visits to there.

I lived in that area for a year. Yes, it was cold and depressing, and I got my purse snatched in North Chicago. I was stationed at Fleet Home Town News Center, Great Lakes, IL, which is outside Chicago. As soon as my minimum one-year tour was up I requested no-cost orders to transfer. "No-cost" meant no cost to the government. I had to pay my own way to transfer from there to Florida. For a very junior enlisted person, it was a financial sacrifice for me but worth it.

I'm sure that if you have enough money you can find a nice place to live in Chicago but for me it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Yes, some part of Chicago (even in suburbs) are depressing.

It is much worse when you head to Gary in Indiana - extremely depressing and ghetto.

I have same say about Alabama - some area are depressing.

Yes, some part of Chicago (even in suburbs) are depressing.

It is much worse when you head to Gary in Indiana - extremely depressing and ghetto.

I have same say about Alabama - some area are depressing.
I've heard that about Gary. I've never been there. I lived in Indianapolis for short periods, and my dad was born and raised on a farm in the Lebanon area.

Back