Detroit files for bankruptcy

I think Detroit lost more than 1 million population in total? 1,849,568 - 713,777 = 1,135,791.

It looks like Detroit has 30,000+ abandoned buildings. :shock:
Way too many derelict buildings, nowhere near enough cash to raze them | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

The asbestos removal could cost $10,000+, depending on size, more size means cost more. EPA regulation require asbestos to be removed before it could demolished.
Before demolition the city should issue permits (for a fee) to professional salvagers to come remove reusable or recyclable materials. Then, they should use that money to pay for the asbestos and other hazardous material removal. They should also put to work the able-bodied unemployed in clean up duties. They would be paid for their labor; not high salaries but at least equal to unemployment amounts, sweetened with job skills training and enhanced resumes. American did similar projects in the past with the WPA.

After the land is cleared and certified de-toxed, then they can be developed into urban green spaces and farm plots (as earlier suggested here). Residents would be responsible for the upkeep. College agi interns could provide the expertise for low salaries (this is where Federal dollars might come in), and corporations could provide the materials (with the requisite billboards and publicity).

I usually don't support Federal money programs but I wouldn't be adverse to a fund that would get all the street lights working again.

The one thing I wouldn't support is just handing over a pot of money to the Detroit "leaders." It would be just too hard to keep tabs on, and too many layers of bureaucracy would probably drain it all away.

Before demolition the city should issue permits (for a fee) to professional salvagers to come remove reusable or recyclable materials.

That is an excellent idea. Although, chances are most of these houses are already stripped. But they could still make some money this way. Perhaps they could even auction streets off.

The demo will most likely be large machinery demo and I doubt they will waste much time on removing asbestos from residential homes in vacant neighborhoods. It's more likely that they will limit the number of houses that can be flattened per day and monitor air quality. IMO anyway.

We shouldn't give Detroit "leaders" a nickel. In fact, we should demand that Detroit's entire government be replaced before we give them any aid.

The Detroit government will not learn from their mistakes. Giving them $300 million is rewarding them for their incompetence.

There are many cities receive federal funding too so it doesn't make any difference.

Detroit will still go bankrupt and their debt will eventually wipe out when bankruptcy is completed.

Detroit to get $300 million in federal help - Sep. 27, 2013

Not much, maybe it will run out within one month or two?

That's not bad idea.

It is nice to see bankrupted cities get help from government but they are still bankrupt, though.

Some of funds will goes to demolish the abandoned building, so others go to police department, fire department, improve the public transportation.

There are other cities receive federal funding too.

There are many cities receive federal funding too so it doesn't make any difference.

Detroit will still go bankrupt and their debt will eventually wipe out when bankruptcy is completed.
What about city employees' pay?

Just only policemen and firemen, according to article.

I'm not far from bankrupted county - Jefferson County. (Did you know?)

Judge OKs vote on Alabama county's bankruptcy plan | Reuters

It is bad for residents but for me, it is unaffected because I don't live in this county, but I just commute everyday for university.
That means whenever a city or county government files for bankruptcy, all or most of its employees get laid off?

That means whenever a city or county government files for bankruptcy, all or most of its employees get laid off?

Only non-essentials employees will get lay off, so rest of them are funded with city or state tax.

Only non-essentials employees will get lay off, so rest of them are funded with city or state tax.
Makes ya wonder--if the employees are non-essential (not needed) why were they hired? :hmm:

Makes ya wonder--if the employees are non-essential (not needed) why were they hired? :hmm:

because made service more speedier and more efficient.

Now, Detroit can't afford to have more employees, so they had to let them go, but only few to left, result in longer lines, slower service, more red tape.

That's interesting - I think that Detroit should try this measure as pilot program if it does help the city into booming.

There are some part of my state having a poor economic activity, even lower taxes, less regulation, unions are nonexistent, so that why I'm not sure about Paul's plan will have success, after had experience in our state.

Also, Nevada has very high unemployment rate, despite about having right to work law and probably loosen regulation.

Back